SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=262)
-   -   Alta Vista Parkway | Stage 1 (Hospital Link) | Complete (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216209)

lrt's friend Mar 21, 2015 4:49 PM

Alta Vista Parkway | Stage 1 (Hospital Link) | Complete

I can't find another thread on this topic. I noticed on Tuesday, that construction has begun on the Alta Vista parkway link to the Hospital campus. Excavation of the right of way has begun at Alta Vista Drive.

MoreTrains Mar 23, 2015 1:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrt's friend (Post 6959473)
I can't find another thread on this topic. I noticed on Tuesday, that construction has begun on the Alta Vista parkway link to the Hospital campus. Excavation of the right of way has begun at Alta Vista Drive.

Pic or it didnt happen... Also may it not be renovation/expansion of utilities?

Luker Mar 23, 2015 2:10 PM

Just wondering, will the initial segment which connects to the hospital lay on the exact same corridor of the planned/on-hold/defunct Alta Vista Parkway. And if so, exactly how many hundred meters are being built, will it be a 4 lane configuration?

What are the chances this is the impetus for finishing the rest of the route and connecting up at Walkley and Conroy?

I've worked in the St. Laurent Commercial/Industrial Park for nearly 3 years now. Having always commuted from Downtown to the that location is nearly 14KM one way.... An Alta Vista corridor would probably reduce that drive and all the negative effects to something closer to 5KM...

Moreover, it always seemed inevitable to me that this would have to happen.
- The south end is the fastest growing area of Ottawa
- Bronson will never be upgraded beyond 4 lanes past Carleton..
- The cancellation of the Champagne freeway/expressway over the O-train trench from Carleton to Bayview has resulted in the alignment needing to be elsewhere...

Thus, the Alta Vista Parkway will likely be in the cards for Ottawa.

TransitZilla Mar 23, 2015 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luker (Post 6961256)
Just wondering, will the initial segment which connects to the hospital lay on the exact same corridor of the planned/on-hold/defunct Alta Vista Parkway. And if so, exactly how many hundred meters are being built, will it be a 4 lane configuration?

What are the chances this is the impetus for finishing the rest of the route and connecting up at Walkley and Conroy?

I've worked in the St. Laurent Commercial/Industrial Park for nearly 3 years now. Having always commuted from Downtown to the that location is nearly 14KM one way.... An Alta Vista corridor would probably reduce that drive and all the negative effects to something closer to 5KM...

Moreover, it always seemed inevitable to me that this would have to happen.
- The south end is the fastest growing area of Ottawa
- Bronson will never be upgraded beyond 4 lanes past Carleton..
- The cancellation of the Champagne freeway/expressway over the O-train trench from Carleton to Bayview has resulted in the alignment needing to be elsewhere...

Thus, the Alta Vista Parkway will likely be in the cards for Ottawa.

Take a look at this PDF to see an illustration of what is being built as part of the "Hospital Link": http://www.capitalward.ca/images/doc...pital-Link.pdf

The short answer is no, it is not being built to 4 lanes but it is compatible with the ultimate 4-lane parkway.

waterloowarrior Mar 23, 2015 2:22 PM

Alta Vista Hospital Link – Project Overview
Updated October 2014
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planni...oject-overview

Project description

The project provides a link between Riverside Drive and the Transitway to the Hospital Ring Road. This link is needed to improve transit service to the Hospital Complex and support ongoing hospital and local development including the NDMC Lands. The Hospital Link will comprise of a 2‐lane facility with provisions for transit lanes and multi‐use pathways.

Spring 2015 construction activities
  • Construction of temporary detour alignments along Riverside Drive to accommodate bridge foundation construction
  • Large diameter watermain relocation
  • Bridge foundation construction
  • Rail diversion in preparation for new rail bridge construction

2015 to 2017 construction activities
  • Construction of 3 bridges (Riverside Drive overpass, Transitway overpass and Rail underpass)
  • Construction of sewers and watermains
  • Construction of a 2 lane road from Riverside Drive to the Hospital Ring Road including Alta Vista intersection reconstruction

Timelines

Start of construction – Spring 2015
Substantial completion – Fall 2017. Separate landscape contract to commence in 2018.

Also, here is the construction notice (March 2015)
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planni...ice-march-2015

MoreTrains Mar 23, 2015 2:25 PM

Well, the Alta-Vista Parkway has a few issues. First, it is detremental to increasing transit use; it will add more congestion to the Nicholas/Laurier intersection; part of it may or may not be owned by DND as part of the NDMC lands; will involve the removal of community gardens (lots of them); involve the removal of MUPs and parks along the route; will increase congestion in new areas; will interfere with the TOD around Hurdman; will need NCC approval... et cetera et cetera.

And with the information provided by Waterloo Warrior... dammit. I dont think there is that big of an access issue with the Hospitals, nor have I ever seen those issues. I really dont know what the City is on about, unless it is to make way for the full creation. Who knows. Probably would be more cost effective to put a few more busses on routes to those locations instead of building three bridges, maybe its just me.

Aylmer Mar 23, 2015 2:28 PM

As long as this isn't extended to the Nicolas...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_KABUZUwAEDJdZ.jpg:large

MoreTrains Mar 23, 2015 2:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aylmer (Post 6961279)
As long as this isn't extended to the Nicolas...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_KABUZUwAEDJdZ.jpg:large

You know it will be eventually!

silvergate Mar 23, 2015 2:42 PM

It looks like a lot of city council including Jim Watson are against everything but this first phase of construction.

MoreTrains Mar 23, 2015 2:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvergate (Post 6961294)
It looks like a lot of city council including Jim Watson are against everything but this first phase of construction.

But even this first phase of construction is useless/a waste of money!

silvergate Mar 23, 2015 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreTrains (Post 6961299)
But even this first phase of construction is useless/a waste of money!

Yep, I think bus lanes on Smyth would actually be a much more effective access point/better use of money then this.

MoreTrains Mar 23, 2015 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvergate (Post 6961305)
Yep, I think bus lanes on Smyth would actually be a much more effective access point/better use of money then this.

And would service more people, run them right from St Laurent down Smyth to Hawthorne Ave.

1overcosc Mar 23, 2015 3:46 PM

I don't think the Alta Vista Parkway has much relevance to future growth. Yes, the south end is growing, but not this part of the south end. This serves the southeast, going towards the industrial zone. The growth is more southwest and directly south. Development in the AVP direction already extends right to the Greenbelt, and the other side of the Greenbelt from there is Carlsbad Springs/Edwards.

waterloowarrior Mar 23, 2015 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1overcosc (Post 6961383)
I don't think the Alta Vista Parkway has much relevance to future growth. Yes, the south end is growing, but not this part of the south end. This serves the southeast, going towards the industrial zone. The growth is more southwest and directly south. Development in the AVP direction already extends right to the Greenbelt, and the other side of the Greenbelt from there is Carlsbad Springs/Edwards.

The AVP will serve the Leitrim community via Conroy, the Bank Street/Greely corridor, and potentially divert a lot of traffic from existing routes to free up capacity. But with the slow growth in the south the projected North-South traffic volumes haven't been realized, so it's now post-2031 under the affordable network.
http://www.mainstreeter.ca/index.php...es-to-crumble/

MoreTrains Mar 23, 2015 5:57 PM

'For example, the construction of a $2.1 billion Light Rapid Transit system would have twice the capacity of the city’s existing bus transitway.'

And this would release a large number of busses to be reassigned to different or new routes increasing frequency, negating the percieved requirement for the AVTC

'“It appears that the argument that hospital employees want and need the link is based on anecdotal hypothesizing rather than hard evidence,” said Kris Nanda, planning and development chair with the Riverview Park Community Association.'

So Hosptial workers dont want it.

'Chernushenko himself maintained there should be “transit-oriented development” at the Lees station of the new LRT system, rather than the four-lane AVTC.'

The councillor doesnt want it.

WHO WANTS IT!?!?!?!

JM1 Mar 23, 2015 7:35 PM

The hospital link without the connection to Nicholas and Conroy is just a waste of money.

I am not necessarily saying that the full AVP is a great idea, only that a truncated AVP is a waste of money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterloowarrior (Post 6961412)
The AVP will serve the Leitrim community via Conroy, the Bank Street/Greely corridor, and potentially divert a lot of traffic from existing routes to free up capacity. But with the slow growth in the south the projected North-South traffic volumes haven't been realized, so it's now post-2031 under the affordable network.
http://www.mainstreeter.ca/index.php...es-to-crumble/

Capital Shaun Mar 23, 2015 8:04 PM

As others have stated, this project is a waste of money as it doesn't really serve any purpose as is.

lrt's friend Mar 23, 2015 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreTrains (Post 6961244)
Pic or it didnt happen... Also may it not be renovation/expansion of utilities?

The work being done is perpendicular to Alta Vista Drive and it is going both ways from Alta Vista. Definitely looked like road construction.

lescopainsdabord Mar 23, 2015 11:14 PM

Not entirely sure a completed AV corridor would be wasteful. With the planned truck tunnel downtown, a corridor connecting Nicholas to Riverside might alleviate traffic to and from Gatineau on Vanier Parkway, perhaps even KE Avenue. Granted the tunnel's use would need to be expanded to include car traffic...

Uhuniau Mar 24, 2015 1:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvergate (Post 6961305)

Also, a bus route serving this axis that isn't an infrequent, stubby piece of garbage dreamed up by transit-planners who don't actually use transit.