SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

JACKinBeantown Jul 29, 2015 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 7111485)
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...f-central-park

Key City Council members want to curb super-tall buildings south of Central Park
Lawmakers call for more regulation and a close look at height limits in a big portion of midtown Manhattan.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pb...creen&maxw=770

By Joe Anuta
July 28, 2015

The idiots don't realize that it's the limited supply of available sites and air rights that will naturally curb any such buildings.

Or maybe they took a look at the rezoning in midtown east and are taking a proactive step to ensure a certain outcome in this neighborhood. It doesn't mean they're idiots. Oh, all the insults.

Crawford Jul 29, 2015 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 7111885)
Or maybe they took a look at the rezoning in midtown east and are taking a proactive step to ensure a certain outcome in this neighborhood. It doesn't mean they're idiots. Oh, all the insults.

The NIMBYs were totally against the East Midtown rezoning, which was an upzoning/loosening of restrictions that has zero to do with NIMBY demands.

The North One Jul 29, 2015 7:44 PM

Quote:

Agreed, the calling for "lashings" for supposed "crimes" is a bit alarming and very sophomoric. This isn't a third world country. :haha:

photoLith Jul 29, 2015 11:58 PM

These anti skyscraper people need to gtfo of Manhattan and maybe move to suburban Houston since they hate skyscrapers so much even though they live on an island of them.

NYguy Jul 30, 2015 3:54 AM

Quote:

Midtown east is a totally different thing. There the city is rezoning to encourage development. What's happening around billionaires row is natural building that occurs over the entire city, development that is as-of-right. And yes, I do believe that anyone who thinks the area will be overrun by an unlimited supply of these types of buildings is an idiot. For one, the market will only support so many. And for another, there is a limited supply of development rights (and sites) available. This "chicken-little" approach to zoning is one the smart people will avoid.

jbermingham123 Jul 30, 2015 4:33 AM

Im actually verrrrrrrryyyyy worried that the W57th street developments will be stunted. Conservative efforts (efforts meant resist the proliferation of new ideas or developments), such as NIMBYing, or the smearing of climate science, or vaccinations protests, anti-gay-rights protests, or GMO protests, etc. tend to win easily when the public is uninformed about whatever thing is being resisted. And with so many of these projects being kept out of the public eye, almost everyone is uninformed, and therefore likely to resist. It also doesn't help that almost nobody outside of this forum has any architectural taste. If that petition goes viral, we're fucked fucked fucked fucked fuckkkkeeeedddd

Foosh Jul 30, 2015 6:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbermingham123 (Post 7112731)
Im actually verrrrrrrryyyyy worried that the W57th street developments will be stunted. Conservative efforts (efforts meant resist the proliferation of new ideas or developments), such as NIMBYing, or the smearing of climate science, or vaccinations protests, anti-gay-rights protests, or GMO protests, etc. tend to win easily when the public is uninformed about whatever thing is being resisted. And with so many of these projects being kept out of the public eye, almost everyone is uninformed, and therefore likely to resist. It also doesn't help that almost nobody outside of this forum has any architectural taste. If that petition goes viral, we're fucked fucked fucked fucked fuckkkkeeeedddd

^^^^ Oh don't worry, be happy, once the city realizes how much tax they would lose from new construction they will keep he nimbys at bay.

JACKinBeantown Jul 30, 2015 4:02 PM

There are plenty of other desirable neighborhoods in Manhattan where billionaires will plunk down their cash and stay once a year. Besides, if there are too many suppurates in the same area the overall effect would be diminished. In my opinion it's actually better for the skyline to have them interspersed throughout the city.

Crawford Jul 30, 2015 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbermingham123 (Post 7112731)
Im actually verrrrrrrryyyyy worried that the W57th street developments will be stunted.

Every announced 57th street supertall has already been permitted. So even if there were a total ban on any new buildings (which would never happen), every single one of the announced towers would go up as planned.

The City Council can't do a thing about the towers already announced. They could (in theory) do something about future towers yet to be announced, but highly unlikely, because the City Council doesn't determine city zoning, that's under the purview of the Department of City Planning, a mayoral agency. Long story short, zoning only changes when the mayor wants zoning to change.

TechTalkGuy Jul 30, 2015 11:13 PM

:goodpost: Thank you, Crawford for your explaination of the situation we are facing. Much appreciated! :tup:

JR Ewing Jul 31, 2015 1:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 7113519)
Every announced 57th street supertall has already been permitted. So even if there were a total ban on any new buildings (which would never happen), every single one of the announced towers would go up as planned.

The City Council can't do a thing about the towers already announced. They could (in theory) do something about future towers yet to be announced, but highly unlikely, because the City Council doesn't determine city zoning, that's under the purview of the Department of City Planning, a mayoral agency. Long story short, zoning only changes when the mayor wants zoning to change.

Are there permits for the Park Lane?

artspook Aug 1, 2015 8:41 AM

It feels so snug and cozy to say the word "idiot" !
. . especially when you say "You idiot !" . .
Yet I'd prefer you refrain from calling me one.
I'm only psycho once in a blue moon.

Rbsanford Aug 1, 2015 7:17 PM

There was a blue moon last night...not that I'm calling you a psycho or anything, I think you're all right.

WIGGLEWORTH Aug 2, 2015 6:01 PM

Just curious but wont this be visible from Broadway and Time's Square? It should be a fantastic view through there.

gramsjdg Aug 2, 2015 10:56 PM

I hope the still (permanently?) unlit crown on One57 isn't a bad omen for the completion of this tower's crown/spire and exterior lighting details. Just hoping this trend of either not completing or messing up crowns on signature NY towers (started by 1WTC with its architecturally unfinished skeleton of a spire) isn't catching...

kingsdl76 Aug 3, 2015 5:30 PM

Diagram update?

Are there any plans to update the height of this building in the diagram section?? The current image still looks to include the 1479 ft roof height. I wish I had the access and ability to do it!

Pete8680 Aug 3, 2015 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramsjdg (Post 7116209)
I hope the still (permanently?) unlit crown on One57 isn't a bad omen for the completion of this tower's crown/spire and exterior lighting details. Just hoping this trend of either not completing or messing up crowns on signature NY towers (started by 1WTC with its architecturally unfinished skeleton of a spire) isn't catching...

Maybe there not turning it on because they want to stop the ice caps from melting & bringing back the dinosaurs from extinction?

UTEPman Aug 3, 2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramsjdg (Post 7116209)

They still haven't lit One57's crown? Damn.

I too hope they do nice lighting. Signature towers on the skyline should always be tastefully lit...

Lecom Aug 5, 2015 2:29 AM

Video Link

ILNY Aug 5, 2015 2:37 PM

^ Nice videos Lecom !