SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Leo the Dog Nov 21, 2015 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 7243365)
Concurred! The 992 bus goes down Broadway and stops at each Terminal. Simply the best way to get to the airport from downtown, barring a cab. (But cheap, like $2.25 cheap). Technically, it connects the trolley to SAN because the trolley stops at America Plaza (serving 992).

Whenever I have visitors, they usually comment on how nice our buses are. Rapid does market itself well in my personal opinion, which is the first step to encouraging transit. My only caveat: I wish the 992 bus had special branding/colors to distinguish itself from plainjane/joe buses.

You can also take the green line to Middletown(?) and then take the complimentary Avis rental bus to the airport and vice versa.

sixonenine Nov 22, 2015 2:37 AM

hey

maybe this might help to get the movement going for removing lindbergh and perhaps getting those 700's+ going. I found this link if anyone wants to check it out and ellaborate on this. We really need to do something about this. :rolleyes:
http://www.movetheairport.com/home.html

dales5050 Nov 23, 2015 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 7242904)
So they figure an "airport shuttle roadway" is going to be the best way forward for the next 20 years. No light rail station(s) for the airport? What a colossal mistake.

A light rail station for who?

Someone coming to a convention has a $10 - $15 cab ride v. having to go wait for a trolley that will take 3X as long to get to downtown and then you have to walk several blocks to your hotel.

The proximity of the airport to the main block of hotels is close enough that running the trolley there makes zero sense.

Leo the Dog Nov 23, 2015 4:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixonenine (Post 7244256)
maybe this might help to get the movement going for removing lindbergh and perhaps getting those 700's+ going. I found this link if anyone wants to check it out and ellaborate on this. We really need to do something about this. :rolleyes:
http://www.movetheairport.com/home.html

SAN isnt moving and probably won't ever move in the next century. There could one day be a large regional airport used as a reliever to SAN however.

Why spend billions rebuilding the current airport only to close it and move it to the suburbs, away from the population, hotels, government buildings, convention center, Amtrak (future HSR), trolley network and spend tens of billions building new infrastructure out to a new airport?

spoonman Nov 23, 2015 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 7245303)
SAN isnt moving and probably won't ever move in the next century. There could one day be a large regional airport used as a reliever to SAN however.

Why spend billions rebuilding the current airport only to close it and move it to the suburbs, away from the population, hotels, government buildings, convention center, Amtrak (future HSR), trolley network and spend tens of billions building new infrastructure out to a new airport?

All it would take is a terrorism incident where a jet going into SAN hits a building downtown and the airport is done. Based on comments and articles I've been reading recently, there seems to be growing support, although slowly, for relocating the airport. A major event, terrorism or otherwise, would be the icing on the cake.

sixonenine Nov 23, 2015 9:20 PM

Well if we don't at least try then it will definitely never move. Let's get people talking about this and not give up so easily, it will only take longer.

JPAztec Nov 23, 2015 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7245725)
All it would take is a terrorism incident where a jet going into SAN hits a building downtown and the airport is done. Based on comments and articles I've been reading recently, there seems to be growing support, although slowly, for relocating the airport. A major event, terrorism or otherwise, would be the icing on the cake.

Man, I truly hope you don't mean that the way I read it. I'm all for having a taller skyline, but certainly wouldn't describe it happening via terrorist attack as "icing on the cake". I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on that one.

JerellO Nov 24, 2015 3:00 AM

hmmm idk about moving the airport... i feel like potential development would follow to wherever they located if it happens... i feel like the airport being close to downtown is a good thing... even if it limits the skyline to 500ft. Supertalls would be awesome though not gonna lie. I wish National City and Chula Vista would start growing up.. imagine what those 3 skylines combined would look like :)

SDCAL Nov 24, 2015 5:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPAztec (Post 7245888)
Man, I truly hope you don't mean that the way I read it. I'm all for having a taller skyline, but certainly wouldn't describe it happening via terrorist attack as "icing on the cake". I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on that one.

The idiom icing on the cake can be used in both negative and positive contexts. It was obvious to me his post was matter of fact - any tragedy that occurs due to the poor location of the airport would hasten the call to move the airport, that's just fact, nobody here wants that to happen *obviously*

Streamliner Nov 24, 2015 4:51 PM

Manchester Pacific Gateway: Rocky West?
Roger Showley
November 24, 2015
San Diego Union-Tribune

Quote:

Manchester Pacific Gateway, the planned $1.2 billion redevelopment of the 13.7-acre Navy Broadway Complex, in the works for nearly 30 years, finally got a close look by the city’s downtown review agency and the reaction wasn’t particularly favorable.

“It’s clear this project was influenced by Rockefeller Center,” said Jeff Gattas, chairman of Civic San Diego, a city-owned nonprofit.

He didn’t mean that as a compliment. The project in his view would replace two block-sized, monolithic buildings with seven others.

New York City’s Rockefeller Center, built on 22 acres in the 1930s, is a Art Deco national landmark that includes includes Radio City Music Hall, NBC studios and the famous ice skating rink lorded over by a golden statue of Promotheus.

But it was bulk and scale of Rockefeller Center that Gattas apparently thought wasn’t appropriate on San Diego’s waterfront.

“I don’t think it meets the design (concepts) of where we are in 2015 for Civic San Diego,” Gattas said of Pacific Gateway.
Link to Article

Crackertastik Nov 24, 2015 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7246563)
Roger Showley
November 24, 2015
San Diego Union-Tribune

Link to Article

He wants a park, like that in Chicago. And with that, he can go Eff himself. This site deserves density, multiple uses, and the plan provides that. I do think the large hotel is iffy, and Id rather additional office, but realize upper-upscale hotel is probably easier to pencil than more office in Downtown. And the plan, as someone pointed out, does provide a lot of new office already.

Rockefeller aesthetics aside...which i happen to like, this overall master plan is great.

Nerv Nov 24, 2015 9:16 PM

We've had realistic options to move the airport in the past.

Someone only need to get support for the best location and have the will to see it through. As of yet the city has been undecided on best locations and no one has stepped up to the plate and try and lead.

The Charger stadium has suffered the same problems. Options are fine but you have to pick one at some point and not continue to go back and forth with where to build the damn thing.

Nerv Nov 24, 2015 9:21 PM

Given the current state of air traffic with drones and lasers becoming more and more of an issue to airplanes I'd be more concerned with another 1978 type crash over the city (but on a much,much larger scale given the cities size today)
than terrorists (which are always a concern anywhere these days).

The FAA is fast losing their control on what goes on in our skies.

dl3000 Nov 25, 2015 3:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7246563)
Roger Showley
November 24, 2015
San Diego Union-Tribune

Link to Article

If the City was a bit more forward thinking they could have planned on leasing space for municipal offices similar to what the County has in the historic building at the North Embarcadero and leave that hideous community concourse complex on C Street.

nezbn22 Nov 25, 2015 5:07 PM

It's embarrassing how long projects take in San Diego:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...on-civic-park/

mello Nov 25, 2015 8:11 PM

What if a terrorist took out a British Airways flight coming in over Bankers Hill with a shoulder fired rocket? Would be pretty easy to hit they are what 180 feet over head or so. You can feel the wind from the incoming flights when you are in that neighborhood. The palm trees start swaying on a windless day and you can also hear the whistling/whirring sound of the air disturbance about ten seconds after a plan passes. No where else in the country are flights that low over residential neighborhoods.

Leo the Dog Nov 26, 2015 5:40 PM

http://sunnycv.com/steve/local/images3/1873hensley.jpg
Source

Have you guys seen this interesting old map before? The SD River delta used to empty at the SD Bay near present day SAN.

embora Nov 27, 2015 5:24 PM

IDEA 1: The construction of pedestrian protective walkways has started.

embora Nov 27, 2015 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 7249434)
Source

Have you guys seen this interesting old map before? The SD River delta used to empty at the SD Bay near present day SAN.

I think that is fascinating. I read in Iris Engstrand's book "San Diego California's Cornerstone" that (prehistorically, I think) that there was a time when ocean levels were higher when Point Loma was an island. She said that the course of the San Diego River would alternate over time between draining into San Diego Bay and Mission Bay. Btw: For my money, that was a great book on the history of San Diego.

JPAztec Nov 28, 2015 2:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embora (Post 7250518)
I think that is fascinating. I read in Iris Engstrand's book "San Diego California's Cornerstone" that (prehistorically, I think) that there was a time when ocean levels were higher when Point Loma was an island. She said that the course of the San Diego River would alternate over time between draining into San Diego Bay and Mission Bay. Btw: For my money, that was a great book on the history of San Diego.

Sounds like an interesting read! And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Coronado was an island....Point Loma would make for a monstrous amount of fill! ;)