SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

CCs77 May 25, 2016 3:09 PM

I thought there were some more floors until they get to the cantilever, but it seems they already reached that level, based on that they are removing the formwork in the wall adjacent to the Arts League.

Now they have to install the complicated formwork needed to construct the cantilever.

Zapatan May 25, 2016 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 7452524)
Yes, there is no reason to "freak out", and there is nothing overly ambitious about this project.

It's a ~1600 foot tall ~100 story building, it could certainly be considered overly ambitious.

chris08876 May 25, 2016 10:43 PM

The idea is selling units and making a profit. Residential projects generally aren't ambitious in the U.S.. What's going up in China is ballsy, and you have to give them credit, they pump out 1550+ foot towers like its the ice capades. The U.S. in general is not ambitious compared to our competition which at this point, is China, and they are fast on the road to passing us. :(

Now, if this was office, and let's say it was 1600' and had a square footage of 4 million sq ft, now... that's ambitious because of the tenants required for it to be profitable and the cost along with a competitive office market. Competitive in the sense that there is a lot of competition for tenants.

But a building geared towards .0001% is not as risky here. At least given the current market. Anything 700,000 - 4 million is a gold mine. It's all relative and depends on the market and location. Timing is everything.

Zapatan May 25, 2016 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7453379)
The idea is selling units and making a profit. Residential projects generally aren't ambitious in the U.S.. What's going up in China is ballsy, and you have to give them credit, they pump out 1550+ foot towers like its the ice capades. The U.S. in general is not ambitious compared to our competition which at this point, is China, and they are fast on the road to passing us. :(

Now, if this was office, and let's say it was 1600' and had a square footage of 4 million sq ft, now... that's ambitious because of the tenants required for it to be profitable and the cost along with a competitive office market. Competitive in the sense that there is a lot of competition for tenants.

But a building geared towards .0001% is not as risky here. At least given the current market. Anything 700,000 - 4 million is a gold mine. It's all relative and depends on the market and location. Timing is everything.

True, and what's more amazing is that there is (at least currently) the kind of demand for buildings like this, unlike China.

I wasn't trying to say that ambitious is bad at all either. I think it's great this building is going up, but with higher ambition comes higher risk of course. But like I said, we shouldn't panic until we hear anything official. ;)

tokilamockingbrd May 27, 2016 1:24 AM

Quote:

its also far less expensive to build in china. Labor cost. Real estate, etc.

rlw777 May 27, 2016 2:32 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't say whats going up in China is not "ballsy" their economy has been growing at +10% for over a decade compared to around 2% in the US. Labor is cheap and remains cheap because the workforce has 4 times as many people as the US.

NYguy May 27, 2016 2:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 7453033)
It's a ~1600 foot tall ~100 story building, it could certainly be considered overly ambitious.

I think we're getting off point talking about what's going up elsewhere, but you are getting lost in numbers. We're basically talking about a condo tower with about 180 or so units, on top of a department store. There is NOTHING overly ambitious about that in the City of New York. A $200 million penthouse like the one going up accross the street could be considered ambitious (and still not overly ambitious, considering the global market of which NY pools from). Barnett has already said he isn't looking for those prices, though I'm sure his penthouse units will be among the expensive.

NYguy May 31, 2016 12:41 AM

http://skyscraper.org/EXHIBITIONS/TEN_TOPS/slender.php

http://www.skyscraper.org/EXHIBITION.../maychart2.jpg

Zapatan May 31, 2016 2:28 AM

Where did the 898' figure come from for 125 G street?

NYguy May 31, 2016 4:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 7457938)
Where did the 898' figure come from for 125 G street?

Probably from one of the building documents.

Zapatan May 31, 2016 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 7458041)
Probably from one of the building documents.

Yes I gathered. But we've heard so many figures so far and that's one we haven't seen yet.

I'm less excited if it's shorter than 4WTC but glad Nordstrom might get a height bump, that makes up for it I suppose. Now if only they can get that spire back on...

Hemeroscopium May 31, 2016 4:49 PM

Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
"Residential projects generally aren't ambitious in the U.S.. What's going up in China is ballsy, and you have to give them credit, they pump out 1550+ foot towers like its the ice capades. The U.S. in general is not ambitious compared to our competition which at this point, is China, and they are fast on the road to passing us"

Lol!ballsy!?...China is collapsing for flexing his muscles like a fairground freak;morover,would you live there?Chinese cities are hideous and unbearable.
Beautiful Singapore would,imo,be a much more interesting comparison.

ILNY Jun 2, 2016 1:12 AM

The core has reached cantilever height - 255ft.

NYguy Jun 2, 2016 3:08 AM

Quote:

The U.S. in general is not ambitious compared to our competition which at this point, is China, and they are fast on the road to passing us. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemeroscopium (Post 7458445)
Lol!ballsy!?...China is collapsing for flexing his muscles like a fairground freak;morover,would you live there?Chinese cities are hideous and unbearable.
Beautiful Singapore would,imo,be a much more interesting comparison.

You guys know by now that this is not gonna fly. This isn't a thread for discussing other countries or what is being buit elsewhere.

one4all Jun 2, 2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILNY (Post 7460362)
The core has reached cantilever height - 255ft.

Incorrect, the cantilever height is around 290'. They're installing the cantilever formwork now, but will not be using it until it reaches that height.

WIGGLEWORTH Jun 2, 2016 4:17 PM

^This part will take the longest for sure. The structural support required is unequivocally complicated.

chris08876 Jun 2, 2016 10:50 PM

The coming super talls + some recently built iconic towers and legends of the past!

Yes they are missing some... but it looks cool.

https://cdn-standard.discourse.org/u...f5e94f5bb2.png

chris08876 Jun 2, 2016 10:56 PM

220 CPS on the right, and CPT to the left.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2016...-master675.jpg
Credit: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...uilding-photos

NYguy Jun 4, 2016 2:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7461558)

Closer look...

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2016...superJumbo.jpg

tokilamockingbrd Jun 4, 2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 7462858)

I read that 3 WTC is 1st tower ever in NYC to be built core 1st. That is definitely happening here. Are we seeing a trend developing?