SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Europe (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Skyscrapercity.com II (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=108647)

Paulo2006 Aug 26, 2006 12:51 AM

Let's hope it gets back on-line soon. Keep working Jan!!

FireMedic Aug 26, 2006 1:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonhouse
It always amazes me when people bitch when they get something for free and it doesn't meet their standards...


SSC has doubled in size each year since it was created. If Jan didn't periodically shut it down to upgrade it, then it would crash constantly, from the flood of people who go there.


cheers


Since you got A Buffalo NY Non development thread, that deals
with everything but New developments etc....
and is probally the most active thread on the entire board
could you add a Non Development thread for the other regions too.
that's only fair ! Like For Phoenix, Las Vegas Etc......

i_am_hydrogen Aug 26, 2006 3:15 AM

Let me get this straight, saab... Jan is spending his time and money trying to make the forums faster and therefore more enjoyable for us all and you have the nerve to complain about it? It isn't his fault that the site keeps growing and requires additional server capacity. Have a little respect.

Rambaldi Aug 26, 2006 3:23 AM

They should make Jan a saint, the patron saint of skyscrapers :yes:

I'll phone the pope first thing in the morning :worship:

Sinjin Aug 26, 2006 3:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen
Let me get this straight, saab... Jan is spending his time and money trying to make the forums faster and therefore more enjoyable for us all and you have the nerve to complain about it? It isn't his fault that the site keeps growing and requires additional server capacity. Have a little respect.

Yup, we should at least be thankful to Jan for he is one of the kindest forum administrators I've seen and he's really spending his time and money for the improvement of the forums. ;)

Chicago Skyline Aug 26, 2006 4:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambaldi
They should make Jan a saint, the patron saint of skyscrapers :yes:

I'll phone the pope first thing in the morning :worship:

LOL, nice to hear you are on the level as "the pope":worship:
I am looking forward for your city photos that you took these few days!:yes:

coth Aug 26, 2006 7:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M II A II R II K
And in another few months when it goes to 4000 they'll need another upgrade :cool:

Maybe if they pruned it more it would be alot faster, don't think you need threads that haven't been posted in for almost 18 months hanging in there for each forum.

i think pruning won't help much in this way... these are webservers 4 webservers as i understand now and fifth is db server. usually webserver could process around 500-600 users and up to 1000 with lastest intel xeon. ssc have usually around 2500-2800 users. so i think problem of ssc is in this thing. however db sometimes looks like working on maximum.

JManc Aug 26, 2006 7:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireMedic
Since you got A Buffalo NY Non development thread, that deals
with everything but New developments etc....
and is probally the most active thread on the entire board

that's a bit of a stretch. i created that thread at SSC (i am a mod there) becuase too many people were straying off topic in the buffalo development thread. since there aint much development happening in buffalo and there are a lot of buffalo forumers...that aint hard to do.

feel free to add other threads but i wont sticky them.

Sensenick Aug 26, 2006 8:22 AM

I can only wait for good news, SSC is free for all of us.

Thanks Jan! (if you can read this :P)

malec Aug 26, 2006 8:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
^^a big ask when SSC stuffs up twice a week minimum with lengthy "maintenece" and other bullshit.

Why do you care anyway, you've already been banned from SSC. :D

Chicago Skyline Aug 26, 2006 8:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malec
Why do you care anyway, you've already been banned from SSC. :D

:haha: Seriuosly, some trolls just can't quit their day/nite jobs!:yes: :whip:

Sinjin Aug 26, 2006 9:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malec
Why do you care anyway, you've already been banned from SSC. :D

And now, he's banned here :haha:

Chicago Skyline Aug 26, 2006 9:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinjin
And now, he's banned here :haha:

He asked for it!:yes:

The Dear Leader Aug 26, 2006 11:23 AM

Why does SSP not have this sort of problem every other month? Seriously, a couple of months ago ads were introduced on SSC and now the site's facing the same problem again. We'll probably have the same conversation in this thread in November.

M II A II R II K Aug 26, 2006 12:02 PM

Because every month there really isn't much change from the month before it.

When it slows it usually means some pruning has to be done, or something in the database is being worked on.

smussuw Aug 26, 2006 12:06 PM

when I first joined SSC in Feb 2004 there were like 15,000 members comparing to 50,000 now?

that kept them busy installing new servers I guess :)

The Mad Hatter Aug 26, 2006 1:30 PM

but the thing is i doubt if there are more than 12000 active members, that means 38000 worthless,fake members who are taking up resources

malec Aug 26, 2006 2:11 PM

^^ Exactly. I really think they should set up manual registration though. Not only would it help control this situation but would also get rid of most of the troll problems. I know it's a difficult job but maybe if it was split up between 20 mods or something it would be OK.

jef Aug 26, 2006 2:23 PM

i presume many forumers will leave for skyscraperpage. No need anymore to upgrade ssc as the problem will disappear naturally!

Jasonhouse Aug 26, 2006 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dear Leader
Why does SSP not have this sort of problem every other month? Seriously, a couple of months ago ads were introduced on SSC and now the site's facing the same problem again. We'll probably have the same conversation in this thread in November.

Because at SSP, we tightly regulate new members, and tightly moderate existing ones, meaning that the site grows much more slowly...


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.