SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Arrakis Apr 16, 2018 8:24 PM

Work seems to be progressing on gutting the old Sears space. I guess in preparation for partial demolition.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ac&oe=5B73CF5C

statbass Apr 20, 2018 2:03 PM

Paradise retail plaza at former ACAN site more than just gas bar and convenience stor

The Telegram
April 20, 2018
Author: Kenn Oliver

Quote:

The demolition of the former ACAN Windows and Doors facility on Topsail Road in Paradise is nearing completion and residents should start to see some preliminary construction work begin early next month.

Once construction of the 80,000- to 90,000-square-foot retail plaza on the 600,000-square foot site is completed next spring, developer Roberto Di Giorgio of ALRE Properties says, “It should be the main commercial hub for the town of Paradise.

“As far as Paradise is concerned, the majority of the businesses that are going to be opening up on my project are new to the town,” says Di Giorgio.

“We’re not just copying and pasting from what’s existing.”

The current plan calls for up to 10 retailers — a mix of privately and corporately operated franchises — but the only confirmed type of business to date is a gas bar and convenience store.

Like the rest of the tenants set to occupy space in the $25-million facility, there’s a confidentiality agreement in place that prohibits revealing the particular brand.

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...eloper-203462/

Arrakis Apr 20, 2018 5:18 PM

I still find it kinda strange that Alre Properties which has been incorporated since 2000 still has only a landing page as a website.
You would think they would at least have a schematic of the proposed development or a show a render of the buildings to promote it, whether it be them or The Town of Paradise.
In the end I think this is just gonna be a boring old strip mall like anywhere else in metro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 8161715)
The Telegram
April 20, 2018
Author: Kenn Oliver

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...eloper-203462/

goodgrowth Apr 20, 2018 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8162082)
I still find it kinda strange that Alre Properties which has been incorporated since 2000 still has only a landing page as a website.
You would think they would at least have a schematic of the proposed development or a show a render of the buildings to promote it, whether it be them or The Town of Paradise.
In the end I think this is just gonna be a boring old strip mall like anywhere else in metro.

I mean I'm not exactly sure what you are expecting. My guess is it's going to have the multi-retailer "strips" like in any other box centre around town. Which considering what was there is a huge improvement.

Arrakis Apr 20, 2018 8:41 PM

Oh, I’m not expecting it to anything other than a strip mall like any other one that we’ve already seen here. Though the developers are playing it like it’s gonna be something different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8162327)
I mean I'm not exactly sure what you are expecting. My guess is it's going to have the multi-retailer "strips" like in any other box centre around town. Which considering what was there is a huge improvement.

goodgrowth Apr 20, 2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8162429)
Oh, I’m not expecting it to anything other than a strip mall like any other one that we’ve already seen here. Though the developers are playing it like it’s gonna be something different.

Well I guess in my view almost anything is better than what was there. But all the things I am reading gives me the impression that this will be a mini smart-centre/power-centre/box-centre more so than what I think of in terms of one of those cheap basic strip malls...if that's what you are inferring. The fact that it's supposedly "national retailers", "franchises" and going to cost $25 million dollars to build...

Most classic strip malls are just filled with local business...there are already a few of those in Paradise and are not always fully utilized. I think it would be risky to just put another one in there. And my basic impression from this guy is he probably only deals with retailers that are going to be reliable/long term leasers....

Of course I could be wrong...

Arrakis Apr 21, 2018 12:31 AM

Time will tell I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8162546)
Well I guess in my view almost anything is better than what was there. But all the things I am reading gives me the impression that this will be a mini smart-centre/power-centre/box-centre more so than what I think of in terms of one of those cheap basic strip malls...if that's what you are inferring. The fact that it's supposedly "national retailers", "franchises" and going to cost $25 million dollars to build...

Most classic strip malls are just filled with local business...there are already a few of those in Paradise and are not always fully utilized. I think it would be risky to just put another one in there. And my basic impression from this guy is he probably only deals with retailers that are going to be reliable/long term leasers....

Of course I could be wrong...

Arrakis Apr 21, 2018 12:43 AM

I was up on Kelsey Drive today and a large parcel of land is being development just as your turn onto Kelsey Drive from Kenmount Road right below the TD Bank and Marks Work Wearhouse. The entrance would likely be at the Kiwanis Drive intersection. Anyone hear of what might be going there?

rthomasd Apr 21, 2018 2:51 AM

Last September City Council approved a 'Commercial Garage' for 309-313 Kenmount Rd. Don't know what this could be.

Arrakis Apr 21, 2018 3:01 AM

309 kenmount rd is gonna be a new Mr Lube location across from Kelsey’s restaurant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 8162743)
Last September City Council approved a 'Commercial Garage' for 309-313 Kenmount Rd. Don't know what this could be.

Arrakis Apr 21, 2018 1:24 PM

New brewery being constructed in Mount Pearl.

http://vocm.com/news/brewery-under-c...n-mount-pearl/

Arrakis Apr 23, 2018 9:04 PM

Noticed that the large LABELS store in the Village Mall has closed that location but have not really left the Village. They have moved to a much much smaller location within the mall in the former space occupied by Bootlegger next to Stokes. Always wonder how Labels could afford such a large rental space with so few customers ever in there. I have never really seen any more than half dozen people in there at one time. Certainly opens up an opportunity for a large tenant. Knowing the Village Mall, they will likely rent out as office space as that is probably the quickest way to get paying tenants in that place these days.

Malreynolds Apr 25, 2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8165122)
Noticed that the large LABELS store in the Village Mall has closed that location but have not really left the Village. They have moved to a much much smaller location within the mall in the former space occupied by Bootlegger next to Stokes. Always wonder how Labels could afford such a large rental space with so few customers ever in there. I have never really seen any more than half dozen people in there at one time. Certainly opens up an opportunity for a large tenant. Knowing the Village Mall, they will likely rent out as office space as that is probably the quickest way to get paying tenants in that place these days.

Heard a rumor of a Giant Tiger coming here and that the village was one of the possible spots they were looking at

rthomasd Apr 25, 2018 2:46 PM

Home Hardware and GoodLife Fitness opening in the Torbay Road Mall. Renovations starting in the next week or so with opening in the fall.

J_Murphy Apr 25, 2018 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 8167144)
Home Hardware and GoodLife Fitness opening in the Torbay Road Mall. Renovations starting in the next week or so with opening in the fall.

Seems like a good move for both companies. I assume Goodlife will close in Coakers Meadow Plaza up the road, which is very small. It will also be good to have a hardware store that isn't in Stavanger or Kelsey areas.

Also, this building is currently very depressing, hopefully it will bring some life back to it.

goodgrowth Apr 25, 2018 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 8167227)
Seems like a good move for both companies. I assume Goodlife will close in Coakers Meadow Plaza up the road, which is very small. It will also be good to have a hardware store that isn't in Stavanger or Kelsey areas.

Also, this building is currently very depressing, hopefully it will bring some life back to it.

Curious how much external renovation there will be...as it's quite old looking/bland on the outside. Hopefully it's a bit more than just renovating the inside and sticking their corporate signs out front.

rthomasd Apr 26, 2018 2:14 AM

Tiny's Bar and Grill is opening in the Redrock building on Topsail Rd., during the summer.

rthomasd Apr 26, 2018 2:15 AM

Rumour - Micro-brewer setting up in the Templeton's Building on Water St.

Arrakis Apr 26, 2018 4:09 AM

That would be a decent location for A Giant Tger. It was pretty under used by Labels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malreynolds (Post 8166958)
Heard a rumor of a Giant Tiger coming here and that the village was one of the possible spots they were looking at

goodgrowth Apr 27, 2018 6:44 PM

Looks like Bill Matthew's Volkswagen is moving to Kelsey Drive...near the office buildings.