SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Northparkwizard Sep 9, 2015 12:40 AM

New art installation at Fault Line Park lets you listen to the Rose Canyon Fault.

FAULT WHISPER

Living Lenses
Po Shu Wang and Louise Bertelsen
2014/2015
Mixed Media

1433 Island Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101
Latitude 32.709934°, Longitude 117.151591°

"This remote eavesdropping function is part of the interactive public art installation titled Fault Whisper located at Fault Line Park. A shallow fault rupture of the Rose Canyon Fault System runs diagonally across the park, and is marked by two stainless steel spheres standing on opposite sides of the fault. The west sphere is equipped with a viewfinder, through which visitors can see the east sphere being exactly at the center of view at the time of installation in 2015. Any future fault movement will create an offset along the sightline, and will be noticeable to viewers. An accelerometer installed below the spheres deep into the fault rupture monitors the Earth's movements in real time. Its movement direction and amplitude data stream is processed into musical notes that are gently broadcast from the west sphere viewfinder. Anyone from around the world can click the sound icon above to eavesdrop on the Earth, at the rupture; thereby creating a remote intimacy that connects the local fault line with the global tectonic reality.

You can find more information, images, and technical specification at:
www.livinglenses.com"

Link with the sound: http://www.sandiego.gov/arts-culture.../faultwhisper/

Chapelo Sep 9, 2015 2:59 AM

http://i.imgur.com/pqmvOPZl.jpg

Part of it is obscured by the tree, I will try to get a better picture from over the fence.

spoonman Sep 9, 2015 5:07 AM

Seems like a poor use of space for a prized location surrounded by high rises and a major mall undergoing a massive expansion that will include residential and rail transit. Perhaps that parcel has maxed out the FAR limits.

IconRPCV Sep 9, 2015 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7156487)
That's a fun thread. I always liked London's Leadenhall building. At 735 feet it would create a nice peak in the skyline without overwhelming it. I'd have it replace the ugly concrete jailhouse on State/F Street.

that would look perfect!

SDCAL Sep 9, 2015 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 7154730)
What building in any city would you steal and put in San Diego?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=218630

Icon says one of the Petronas towers, I say Sydney Opera House, you?

I'd probably say the Sydney Opera House too, would be a good fit in SD. I wish there was some type of large, iconic building going in at Navy Broadway instead of the mish-mash of unimaginative corporate style office buildings Manchester is going to put there.

I just need to keep taking deep breaths and repeating my response to Navy Broadway Complex:

"It's still way better than the crap there now, it's still way better than the crap there now"

Chapelo Sep 9, 2015 9:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7157318)
Seems like a poor use of space for a prized location surrounded by high rises and a major mall undergoing a massive expansion that will include residential and rail transit. Perhaps that parcel has maxed out the FAR limits.

it's only about half the building, the other half was obscured by the trees. I'll get a better picture.

It's apparently supposed to have a pool of some sort for waterside dining. And of course, I'm sure some of the parcel will be used for parking too.

embora Sep 11, 2015 3:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nezbn22 (Post 7147580)
Huge concrete pour at the broadway and pacific Bosa site yesterday. Had part of broadway and pacific closed for half the day while a steady stream of cement mixers came and went. Excited to see that hole start to move upward...

At least as of a couple of weeks ago, they had a second concrete pour scheduled for Saturday Sept 12 from 5am to 7pm. It's supposed to affect PacHway from Harbor to C St. and Broadway from Kettner to Harbor Drive.

Streamliner Sep 12, 2015 12:07 AM

I was exploring downtown via Google Streetview, and I noticed that 928 Broadway, a Senior Center, just went through some refurbishmentin the last year. It looks like they fixed up the street facing side by removing the fencing and adding extra windows. The "tower" looks to have some modern window treatments as well.

Check it out in Google Streetview

embora Sep 12, 2015 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7160965)
I was exploring downtown via Google Streetview, and I noticed that 928 Broadway, a Senior Center, just went through some refurbishmentin the last year. It looks like they fixed up the street facing side by removing the fencing and adding extra windows. The "tower" looks to have some modern window treatments as well.

Check it out in Google Streetview

It's amazing that such a seemingly minor change can make a building's appearance improve so drastically (in my opinion). Thank you for sharing.

IconRPCV Sep 14, 2015 9:45 PM

Pinnacle is God Ugly!

Is it just me or does anyone else think the Pinnacle at the Park is the ugliest building, such an eyesore with that gaudy yellow. I stands out so much as well because it is all by itself in the east village, I like its height and the design isn't horrible, just whats up with the screaming yellow?

embora Sep 15, 2015 1:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 7163615)
Is it just me or does anyone else think the Pinnacle at the Park is the ugliest building, such an eyesore with that gaudy yellow. I stands out so much as well because it is all by itself in the east village, I like its height and the design isn't horrible, just whats up with the screaming yellow?

Being a Packers fan, I love it! My family and I refer to it as the "Green Bay Packer Building." :) NFL preferences aside, I like the dash of yellow being added to the skyline.

Then... the other Pinnacle at the Park tower is the Minnesota Twins tower (Red & Blue).

Streamliner Sep 15, 2015 5:08 PM

http://cdn.sandiegouniontrib.com/img...9966b56d1df868
Source: Union Tribune

Photo of the recently completed San Salvador ship at the Festival of Sail event. You can see the new Central Courthouse going up in the background.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 7163615)

I really hated the renderings, but I didn't think it turned out as ugly as I thought it would. Once the sister tower goes up in its red paint job, they'll look like ketchup and mustard. If it were on the waterfront I might have more issues. I do worry though that the paint will fade in an unattractive way.

nezbn22 Sep 15, 2015 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7164476)
http://cdn.sandiegouniontrib.com/img...9966b56d1df868
Source: Union Tribune

Photo of the recently completed San Salvador ship at the Festival of Sail event. You can see the new Central Courthouse going up in the background.

I really hated the renderings, but I didn't think it turned out as ugly as I thought it would. Once the sister tower goes up in its red paint job, they'll look like ketchup and mustard. If it were on the waterfront I might have more issues. I do worry though that the paint will fade in an unattractive way.

If you're worried about the waterfront, better start praying that the Lane Field hotel abandons its big yellow stripe that wraps around the midsection of the building. I don't love that building for several reasons, but that yellow block stripe tops the list. I'm hoping someone comes to their senses before that paint gets slathered on...

Streamliner Sep 15, 2015 8:34 PM

Get ready for more red tape downtown:

Civic San Diego restrictions OKd by Legislature
San Diego Union-Tribune
Roger Showley
September 15, 2015

Link to Article

Quote:

Downtown skyscrapers, sidewalk cafes and everything in between have enjoyed a speedy review process for 40 years through a special city agency, but all that could change under a bill given final approval by the Legislature last week.

The bill, AB504 by Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, D-San Diego, would allow major projects to be appealed to the City Council and, if one reading is correct, it could add extra hours to council meetings and require the hiring of more than 30 planners to review projects. The bill will go into effect Jan. 1 if Gov. Jerry Brown signs it in the next few weeks.

The new law would require city approval of all discretionary projects and allow appeals of zoning changes, development permits, variances and other planning functions that deal with residential projects of 50 or more units, hotels of 50 or more rooms and commercial developments of 25,000 square feet or more. It's unclear how CivicSD's review of building designs and approval of conditional use permits for sidewalk cafes, signs and other development details would be affected.

"This bill seeks to purposefully remove efficiency from the process, making development downtown the least efficient place to build in the city instead of the most efficient," Gattas said. "Now, the City Council could potentially spend hours debating minor design issues on small projects versus key policy discussions. That’s just one of the many unintended consequences we could foresee occurring as a result of this ill-conceived bill."

With downtown high-rise apartment and condo towers adding hundreds of new dwelling units annually, the new review process will be "clogging up the only relief valve we have for San Diego's severe housing crisis," said Kris Michell, president and CEO of the Downtown San Diego Partnership business group.

mello Sep 15, 2015 9:28 PM

Please Jerry don't sign that bill :(

Have you guys looked at that aerial Denver thread in city photos? They are killing us when it comes to infill. Maybe they were lucky to have a bunch of old industrial land within a mile or so of downtown that is defunct and now ripe for development. I think our planners should go study, Denver, Seattle, and Vancouver for ideas.

The Miami aerial thread is INSANE! They built about 50 towers in the 350 to upper 500 foot range it seems. God I wish investor money could flow in to San Diego like that.

spoonman Sep 15, 2015 10:28 PM

^ I think they have done a nice job, but I would't say they are killing us by any stretch. We are continuing to build a lot of towers and are shooting for higher densities than low rise residential buildings.

mello Sep 16, 2015 12:46 AM

Did you look at the thread? From what I can see they are killing SD right now when it comes to near downtown infill maybe we are doing better right in our downtown area. If Barrio Logan starts getting more built up then thats a game changer.

So how can the State pass a law that only pertains to CivicSD and not other cities in the entire state? I'm not too familiar with state politics and how these bills work. Is this going to come down to Jerry Sanders listening to Faulconer and his cohorts or the Union Goons/Lorena Gomez?

HurricaneHugo Sep 16, 2015 6:41 AM

High court clears way for Jacobs' Balboa Park plan

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...jacobs-ruling/

Why can't they just build a parking structure somewhere on 6th street?

Also whatever happened to that underground parking structure at the zoo?

Northparkwizard Sep 16, 2015 4:11 PM

Makers Quarter Streetlights Development Package.

Renderings included.

HurricaneHugo Sep 17, 2015 3:47 AM

Downtown from SDHS

http://i.imgur.com/cb7ktKd.jpg

Hopefully Maker's Quarter will make a sizable impact!