SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=229)
-   -   Halifax Stadium Discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174940)

fenwick16 Oct 24, 2009 3:32 PM

Halifax Stadium Discussion
 
There has been quite a bit if discussion in the Atlantic Provinces section of Skyscraperpage ( http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...153061&page=17 ) with regards to Halifax building a new stadium. The other idea is for Moncton to try to get a franchise since they have a stadium.

One idea is to build a partially covered stadium in Halifax alone the lines of the proposed new Blue Bombers stadium in Winnipeg show below:

http://www.winnipegfirst.ca/~media/p...er_stadium.jpg

This stadium has a sunken bowl. The idea of a sunken bowl should greatly reduce the cost since the outer exposed walls for the stadium will be much lower and therefore require fewer materials. With a sunken bowl, I imagine that the lower bowl of stands also serves as a retaining wall for the excavated ground. Instead of a 25 foot sunken bowl they could go even deeper (say 40 - 50 feet). Even the concourse for the second tier of seating could be partly sunken (so the concourse with washrooms and canteens, is say 15-20 feet below ground level and then the playing field could be 25 feet below the concourse). Although the bedrock in the Halifax area would make excavation difficult, there may be natural areas that are already partly excavated, for example an old quarry. Does a quarry still exist in the Dartmouth Crossings area? Another advantage of a sunken bowl is that that the ground is a natural insulator and would make it warmer during the winter and cooler during the summer.

Another idea is to link the new stadium to existing facilities to share parking and washrooms to keep the cost down. Examples are the new Canada Winter Games location or Exhibition Park. Then have the facilities linked to share some of the infrastructure. Since the stadium will probably not make money it will be important to keep the cost down. An advantage of having it at Exhibition Park is that they could organize larger events for the Maritime Fair (for example, look at the Calgary Stampede).

Politicians will likely not show interest unless people in the Halifax area indicate that it is something that they are interested in. I think a new stadium is more important to the Halifax area than a new Metro Centre. Then the Halifax area will have two facilities for concerts. One for very large concerts (the new stadium) and another (the current Metro Centre) for medium size concerts. The CFL seems like a better fit for the Halifax area than the NHL. The NHL would be difficult to support since it would likely take about $50,000,000 annually (in ticket prices and corporate sponsorship) out of the local economy which would likely be taken from other entertainment venues such as restaurants and theater. I think that it is better for Halifax to maintain a very good variety of restaurants than to have the NHL. On the other hand the CFL would probably take less than $10,000,000 annually out of the local economy and still probably provide equal exposure across Canada where I think Halifax needs it the most.

worldlyhaligonian Oct 24, 2009 4:21 PM

Good post, you have some creative ideas.

fenwick16 Oct 24, 2009 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian (Post 4521665)
Good post, you have some creative ideas.

Thank you worldlyhaligonian. I hope to hear some more ideas on the design and location. I am no longer living in the Halifax area although I follow the Halifax section of Skyscraperpage very closely. So I am interested in getting an idea of the level of interest for a new stadium in Halifax.

I was disappointed that Halifax didn't go through with the Commonwealth Games proposal which they likely would have won even with a scaled down proposal (based on reports after the city selection phase was completed). However, on the plus side, Halifax can now design a stadium with a more compact footprint since it will no longer require a track around the field.

q12 Oct 24, 2009 5:49 PM

These are great ideas fenwick16. We need someone in government or with the Trade Centre Limited to get the ball rolling on these kind of ideas, because I'm sure it would be popular with most people in HRM other than the naysayers.
The time has come to put the commonwealth games behind us and move on to new and better things. A new stadium designed economically that could be used for multiple purposes would be great.

I like this picture of the bombers stadium design at night.

http://www.allwinnipeg.com/sitebuild...m3-600x369.jpg

Keith P. Oct 24, 2009 8:57 PM

I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of the Winnipeg design. And forget about Exhibition Park in terms of any useful facilities. That place needs to be bulldozed.

The sunken bowl idea is interesting. Too bad there is development all around Citadel Hill, otherwise we might have found a use for the thing finally -- a stadium along one side. The Citadel High site would have been perfect.

If Ashburn wanted to sell off their old course, that would be an ideal location and it has some of that slope. It would help in the much-needed widening of Bicentennial Drive as well.

Still, while this is an interesting exercise for development aficionados, I remain convinced such a stadium here would remain empty 95% of the time here and be a tax-dollar-eating white elephant.

Takeo Oct 24, 2009 9:44 PM

What exactly would we do with this stadium if we had one?

terrynorthend Oct 24, 2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 4521985)

The sunken bowl idea is interesting. Too bad there is development all around Citadel Hill, otherwise we might have found a use for the thing finally -- a stadium along one side. The Citadel High site would have been perfect.

My friends and I always joked that since the citadel is just a big deposit of glacial till, it would be really easy to hollow out and turn into a great natural stadium.

As an added bonus it would shut up all the people who complain about ruining the view from the hill! :jester:

On a serious note, I remember years ago, Mayor Ron Wallace seriously -well as serious as he could ever be ;) put forth the idea of hollowing out the citadel to put underground parking in it.:koko:

Keith P. Oct 24, 2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrynorthend (Post 4522113)
On a serious note, I remember years ago, Mayor Ron Wallace seriously -well as serious as he could ever be ;) put forth the idea of hollowing out the citadel to put underground parking in it.:koko:

I think that is actually a very good idea. You could burrow into the Brunswick St side very unobtrusively and build an underground garage without a whole lot of trouble.

fenwick16 Oct 25, 2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 4521985)
I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of the Winnipeg design. And forget about Exhibition Park in terms of any useful facilities. That place needs to be bulldozed.

The sunken bowl idea is interesting. Too bad there is development all around Citadel Hill, otherwise we might have found a use for the thing finally -- a stadium along one side. The Citadel High site would have been perfect.

If Ashburn wanted to sell off their old course, that would be an ideal location and it has some of that slope. It would help in the much-needed widening of Bicentennial Drive as well.

Still, while this is an interesting exercise for development aficionados, I remain convinced such a stadium here would remain empty 95% of the time here and be a tax-dollar-eating white elephant.

I was at the Metro Centre shortly after it opened in 1978 for the CIS Basketball Championship between Saint Mary's Huskies and the Acadia Axemen. It was sold out with over 10,000 people (including floor seating). At the time it was a record for a university game in Canada. For me, and I am sure for almost everyone in attendance, it was a great source of civic pride. I feel that would be the same emotion for people attending a CFL game in a new Halifax Stadium. Just imagine having the Grey Cup in Halifax.

The Citadel Hill is actually a great natural venue for concerts. It actually entering my mind that the site of the Citadel High School would have been a great location for a stadium except I wouldn't go along with incorporating the Citadel Hill.

I seriously hope that Halifax will build a stadium in the near future. An economically priced stadium shouldn't be a white elephant any more than the Metro Centre is.

reddog794 Oct 25, 2009 3:32 AM

Why not build a new stadium on the Forum lands? The area is central enough, and is only 15 mins from DT. An idea I've had.

fenwick16 Oct 25, 2009 4:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddog794 (Post 4522367)
Why not build a new stadium on the Forum lands? The area is central enough, and is only 15 mins from DT. An idea I've had.

It looks like a stadium would fit into the forum lands but the forum would have to be torn down along with a couple of other buildings. This is based on a stadium being about 500 ft by 600 ft (playing field of 65 yards x 150 yards, or 195 feet x 450 feet http://www.sportsknowhow.com/pops/fo...field-cfl.html ). Although it could be shorter by keeping the end zone seating to a minimum; it would probably be good to have the extra space for temporary seating when required (i.e. for a Grey Cup).

Would there be enough parking in the forum area. I have thought of this area also. It has good highway access.

Keith P. Oct 25, 2009 1:04 PM

We have talked about the Forum site previously. Personally I think it would be better suited for an arena than a stadium given the size. However, the stadium would be a nice fit across the street on the DND lands that are presently very underutilized, mostly as a vehicle maintenance and repair area. That is a huge block of land in the middle of the peninsula.

Takeo Oct 25, 2009 1:37 PM

CFL? Do Canadians (and specifically maritimers) actually watch Football? What else would a stadium be used for? It's an honest question. I have no idea. And assuming it's open air... what happens during the 8 months of winter? LOL.

worldlyhaligonian Oct 25, 2009 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo (Post 4522701)
CFL? Do Canadians (and specifically maritimers) actually watch Football? What else would a stadium be used for? It's an honest question. I have no idea. And assuming it's open air... what happens during the 8 months of winter? LOL.

Oh yeah, football (cdn and american) are both highly watched in Canada and the CFL is doing alot better than it was. Halifax is a huge football town. Honestly, we are more of a football town than Saskatoon... they just have a team because it is a western focused league and are a bit bigger. I grew up going to SMU games and high school football and the passion for the game is definitely here.

The stadium could be used for many things... and might be a good venue for concerts as an alternative to the commons to quiet the NIMBYs. Halifax would be able to host world class sports events.

worldlyhaligonian Oct 25, 2009 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 4522682)
We have talked about the Forum site previously. Personally I think it would be better suited for an arena than a stadium given the size. However, the stadium would be a nice fit across the street on the DND lands that are presently very underutilized, mostly as a vehicle maintenance and repair area. That is a huge block of land in the middle of the peninsula.

BEST IDEA EVER!

I never thought of those lands for a stadium, it would be perfect!!

Technically those lands are still on the peninsula and imagine coming in off the bridge and seeing a stadium! Its also good because it is a cluster with the Forum across the street, there is a grocery store right there, etc.

Imagine a mixed residential development plus the stadium!

fenwick16 Oct 25, 2009 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian (Post 4522752)
BEST IDEA EVER!

I never thought of those lands for a stadium, it would be perfect!!

Technically those lands are still on the peninsula and imagine coming in off the bridge and seeing a stadium! Its also good because it is a cluster with the Forum across the street, there is a grocery store right there, etc.

Imagine a mixed residential development plus the stadium!

I looked at this location also and it looks perfect. This would be the area bounded by Young Street, Kempt Road and CFB Willow Park. Do you know who owns this property? Willow Park appears to be owned by the military but the block immediately north of Young does not seem to be part of CFB Willow Park (according to Mapquest). There seems to be quite a bit of parking at the forum and surrounding areas. Also I don't think there would be a lot of opposition to this location since it appears to be quite industrial with some military residential (which is likely rented housing).

I think there will be a lot of additional uses for this stadium once it is built. However, since cost is an issue there are several ways to keep the cost down. One way is to have all bench type seating instead of folding seats. Not only is it less expensive to install, it is also easier to maintain since it could be cleaned easily with pressure washers, when necessary. During periods of snow it would be quicker to remove the snow and during the summer it would withstand the heat and UV light better than plastic seats (I am thinking of aluminum benches as opposed to wood benches which were used in the Halifax Forum at one time). An example is the seating in the Saracuse Dome ( http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium..._carrier.shtml ). Just don't have a dome but partial roof if economical. The superstructure for the stands would still be concrete. The aluminum benches can be placed directly on the concrete. One additional big advantage is that you waste less space than with seats. A stadium that would sit 27,000 with folding seats would likely sit 30,000 with benches.

fenwick16 Oct 25, 2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brettinhalifax (Post 4400974)
I stumbled on this stadium being built in Akron, Ohio for $60 million. It looks nicer than half the current CFL stadiums

Rendering:
http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/zips/wp-...gjuly20071.jpg

Construction progress:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2608/...g?v=1248043392

25,000 seats and it looks to me like it would fit the bill for a CFL team, Sid the Kid's annual Stanley Cup gatherings and regular Paul McCartney concerts.

This was posted in the "CFL in the Maritimes" thread of the Atlantic Provinces section ( http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...153061&page=11 ). This is the sort of stadium and price that I had in mind for Halifax. The proposed Blue Bombers Stadium is nicer but about twice the price. The new stadium in Akron is called the Summa Field at InfoCision Stadium and there is information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summa_F...Cision_Stadium . It was built for 61.6 million US dollars and has bench type seating with a capacity of 30,000. The end zones are open which would allow for temporary seating for a Grey Cup. It appears as though the first tier of seating is sunken which would reduce the construction cost. The end zones are simply a grassy knoll.

Just imagine this at the site north of the Halifax Forum.

terrynorthend Oct 26, 2009 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 4522682)
We have talked about the Forum site previously. Personally I think it would be better suited for an arena than a stadium given the size. However, the stadium would be a nice fit across the street on the DND lands that are presently very underutilized, mostly as a vehicle maintenance and repair area. That is a huge block of land in the middle of the peninsula.

Agreed. That DND block and the entire Kempt corridor between Robie, Windsor, Young and Lady Hammond is terribly underutilized. Prime space for a redevelopment strategy IMO.

terrynorthend Oct 26, 2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian (Post 4522748)
Halifax is a huge football town. Honestly, we are more of a football town than Saskatoon... they just have a team because it is a western focused league and are a bit bigger.

Agreed Halifax is a huge football town. Big Huskies supporter myself.

Saskatoon is actually not a CFL city, the RR's are in Regina. But they are embraced by the entire province of Saskatchewan.

As for size and support, Halifax is a larger city than both Regina and Saskatoon. 400k vs about 206k for Regina and 233k for Saskatoon. They have a slight edge in provincial pop., (1M) but not if you take NS, NB and PEI together. We have a combined pop. of 1.5M and a far more compact area than Saskatchewan.

hfx_chris Oct 26, 2009 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenwick16 (Post 4521610)
Does a quarry still exist in the Dartmouth Crossings area?

Anybody know what the plans are for the undeveloped section to the immediate north of Dartmouth Crossing? Is it just me, or would that be perfect for a stadium? Right on a major highway, quick walk/drive to the restaurants of DC... shopping. :)

hfx_chris Oct 26, 2009 12:49 AM

Speaking of Dartmouth Crossing, what about that HRM football field constructed along Commodore Drive? There's not much to it, and the seating capacity is pretty lame...I wonder how difficult it would be to erect some proper seating around that. They'd have to get rid of the soccer field right next to it though.

Dmajackson Oct 26, 2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfx_chris (Post 4523444)
Anybody know what the plans are for the undeveloped section to the immediate north of Dartmouth Crossing? Is it just me, or would that be perfect for a stadium? Right on a major highway, quick walk/drive to the restaurants of DC... shopping. :)

Residential neighbourhood I believe with maybe a bit more commercial.

hfx_chris Oct 26, 2009 1:24 AM

Well that's no good. But there is still the land to the west of DC. Unless that's claimed as well. I think it would be a great site for a stadium.

Even better than Shannon Park :P

Dmajackson Oct 26, 2009 1:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfx_chris (Post 4523511)
Well that's no good. But there is still the land to the west of DC. Unless that's claimed as well. I think it would be a great site for a stadium.

Even better than Shannon Park :P

If you consider HRM owned lands set aside for industrial use as claimed then yes unfortunately its claimed.

worldlyhaligonian Oct 26, 2009 1:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrynorthend (Post 4523422)
Agreed Halifax is a huge football town. Big Huskies supporter myself.

Saskatoon is actually not a CFL city, the RR's are in Regina. But they are embraced by the entire province of Saskatchewan.

As for size and support, Halifax is a larger city than both Regina and Saskatoon. 400k vs about 206k for Regina and 233k for Saskatoon. They have a slight edge in provincial pop., (1M) but not if you take NS, NB and PEI together. We have a combined pop. of 1.5M and a far more compact area than Saskatchewan.

Well then, I see no reason why we couldn't have a team.

Those DND lands are also close to the burbs and traffic coming from farther outside the city. Parking isn't a problem in that part of town at all.

hfx_chris Oct 26, 2009 1:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ (Post 4523515)
If you consider HRM owned lands set aside for industrial use as claimed then yes unfortunately its claimed.

Okay, then you tell me where there's any land around that isn't owned by somebody. Point is, no matter where a stadium goes, somebody already owns the land, whether it's privately owned or owned by the government.

hfx_chris Oct 26, 2009 1:47 AM

Oh and don't forget, HRM already built a couple of sports fields on part of that land, so don't assume everything is set in stone.

Dmajackson Oct 26, 2009 2:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfx_chris (Post 4523532)
Okay, then you tell me where there's any land around that isn't owned by somebody. Point is, no matter where a stadium goes, somebody already owns the land, whether it's privately owned or owned by the government.

Woah sorry I didn't mean to touch a nerve there I was just stating what are currently the plans for the area.

I'd personally have it in town but somewheres that won't block future developments so the Young lands would work since the likelyhood of that ever being truely urban looking is low and its at the edge of the peninsula but still walkable.

Another good area might be on the Mainland Commons as close as possible to the Canada Games Centre and Lacewood interchange.

Heck a bomb spot would be the Ashburn Golf Club. It's right next to a Bi-Hi interchange (out-of-towners), Armdale Roundabout (Spryfield), Windsor Street Exchange (Bedford & Dartmouth), the future trail to BL. What I would do is extend Mumford Rd to Northwest Arm Drive, and a new overpass for Hillcrest St to the new road and then Winter St.

fenwick16 Oct 26, 2009 3:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian (Post 4523527)
Well then, I see no reason why we couldn't have a team.

Those DND lands are also close to the burbs and traffic coming from farther outside the city. Parking isn't a problem in that part of town at all.

There is no question in my mind that HRM would be granted a franchise if HRM had a stadium since they were granted a conditional franchise in 1983 (Atlantic Schooners). However, the franchise was withdrawn because the different levels of government would not support a stadium. Maybe now it would be different since Halifax and Dartmouth have been amalgamated so the municipality is larger with a proportionately larger tax base. Now would be a good time to try to get federal stimulus money for a stadium (although it would likely only be 10 - 15%, similar to the percentage offered for the Blue Bombers stadium). Then they would need at least a matching amount from the provincial government. Unlike other facilities like a library (which HRM needs also) there will be some income from a stadium so it could be financed over a number of years.

With regards to the Dartmouth Crossings site, I wonder if this is something that the developers of Dartmouth Crossings would be interested in. One advantage of this location is that there is lots of vacant land and since it is industrial there shouldn't be much opposition. I think that this would also be a good location for a sunken bowl (partially excavated). I like the forum site the best since it is close to downtown Halifax, however it might be easier to get something build at the Dartmouth Crossings site.

With regards to the cost, the Moncton stadium is only going to cost 17 million dollars for 10,000 seats. The least expensive option would be to build say 20,000 permanent seats (or benches) for say 40 million with all the washroom facilities and then have 10,000 temporary seats. This is something that would be relatively painless and then if things work out then additional permanent seats/benches could be added. Possibly even a partial roof could be added after it is up and running. Or just put up 10,000 permanent seats with room for 20,000 temporary seats so that it can get built in the very near future.

someone123 Oct 26, 2009 4:04 AM

I think the best site is on the large field by Robie Street (Gorsebrook I guess). The site is close to Dal, SMU, and the downtown. Putting it near Young Street would likely also work, and would provide a good impetus for some other improvements.

I dislike the idea of putting the stadium in the suburbs somewhere next to a highway. That kind of development promotes sprawl, leads to less interesting venues, and is not necessarily even any better from an accessibility point of view. The Common worked fine for a concert with 50,000 people with very little purpose-built infrastructure - lots of people can just walk, the city's easily served by transit, and there are plenty of nearby roads and parking spaces.

Supporting a CFL franchise in Halifax seems like a foregone conclusion, given a stadium. Not sure it's worth the public funds, however.

Empire Oct 26, 2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenwick16 (Post 4523323)
This was posted in the "CFL in the Maritimes" thread of the Atlantic Provinces section ( http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...153061&page=11 ). This is the sort of stadium and price that I had in mind for Halifax. The proposed Blue Bombers Stadium is nicer but about twice the price. The new stadium in Akron is called the Summa Field at InfoCision Stadium and there is information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summa_F...Cision_Stadium . It was built for 61.6 million US dollars and has bench type seating with a capacity of 30,000. The end zones are open which would allow for temporary seating for a Grey Cup. It appears as though the first tier of seating is sunken which would reduce the construction cost. The end zones are simply a grassy knoll.

Just imagine this at the site north of the Halifax Forum.


This type of stadium is ideal for Halifax. The north end of DC would be a good location and if DND would be willing to do a land swap, Willow Park would be perfect. No buildings worth saving, central and lots of space.

I think condominiums could be part of the stadium structure. Much like High Rise II at SMU overlooks Huskies Stadium you could have a similar building being part of the stadium structure. May as well add a hotel to the mix.

beyeas Oct 26, 2009 1:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo (Post 4522039)
What exactly would we do with this stadium if we had one?

I know you are genuinely asking the question, and not just being negative (so I am not being critical at you)... but I fear that this is exactly the reaction that many on HRM will have.

But really, at that point, why have any performing arts theaters when they just sit empty 95% of the time, why have the metro centre when it sits empty 95% of the time, why have a convention centre when it sits empty 95% of the time... etc etc etc

Public venues such as this are never ever going to be money makers. They will always require public funds, and I am ok with that. Because the fact is that what the public is paying for is quality of life, civic pride, the ability to attract young educated people who are mobile and looking for a place to live and work that has "life" to it.

I know that there will always be people in the HRM who will say "but I don't watch football so why should my money go to a stadium", which to me is just short sited and misses the point. Because sports people can simply say the same thing about public money going to the arts. At the end of the day, the best overall quality of life comes from cities imaginative enough to figure out a) how to build good public venues like this and b) what they should be used for that will improve peoples enjoyment of the city.

What will a stadium be used for? LOTS of things. Football. Concerts. Track & Field. Etc. Etc. Etc. 95% of the time it will be empty (as will Neptune Theatre, Metro Centre...), but the payback in terms of quality of life for people in Halifax is priceless.

Empire Oct 26, 2009 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beyeas (Post 4524143)
I know you are genuinely asking the question, and not just being negative (so I am not being critical at you)... but I fear that this is exactly the reaction that many on HRM will have.

But really, at that point, why have any performing arts theaters when they just sit empty 95% of the time, why have the metro centre when it sits empty 95% of the time, why have a convention centre when it sits empty 95% of the time... etc etc etc

Public venues such as this are never ever going to be money makers. They will always require public funds, and I am ok with that. Because the fact is that what the public is paying for is quality of life, civic pride, the ability to attract young educated people who are mobile and looking for a place to live and work that has "life" to it.

I know that there will always be people in the HRM who will say "but I don't watch football so why should my money go to a stadium", which to me is just short sited and misses the point. Because sports people can simply say the same thing about public money going to the arts. At the end of the day, the best overall quality of life comes from cities imaginative enough to figure out a) how to build good public venues like this and b) what they should be used for that will improve peoples enjoyment of the city.

What will a stadium be used for? LOTS of things. Football. Concerts. Track & Field. Etc. Etc. Etc. 95% of the time it will be empty (as will Neptune Theatre, Metro Centre...), but the payback in terms of quality of life for people in Halifax is priceless.

Well said. Someone shoud start a Stadium Trust Fund now. HRM, Fusion, Downtown Buisness Assoc, Young Entrepreneurs, Sport Nova Scotia......someone....and then fundraise and have a stadium scratch & win etc. perhaps even shares as with the farmers market. The problem is that no one takes the first step. We should have been fundraising since the Atlantic Schooners fizzled and we could build with cash now!

someone123 Oct 26, 2009 9:19 PM

Neither the Metro Centre nor the Neptune are empty 95% of the time. During the next week or so the Metro Centre will host a Mooseheads game, David Copperfield (twice), and a concert. A stadium could similarly host a variety of events, not just the CFL games.

q12 Oct 26, 2009 10:14 PM

fenwick16 I just wanted to re-post your comments here to help people get interested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenwick16 (Post 4523716)
With regards to the Halifax commons, I realize that it likely will not happen, however, what a great location. I didn't realize that the Exhibition Park was difficult to get into, maybe it should be ruled out. It seems like the Forum lands and Dartmouth Crossings vicinity are the two best possibilities so far.

I think that this forum is a great way for people to become proactive regarding getting a stadium built in the Halifax area. Once it gets to say 200 posts, I think that it would be good to start contacting people who can actually start the ball rolling, for example in the Halifax Regional Council, Provincial government, Scott Ferguson, Trade Centre Limited, etc.They could be contacted by email and send a link to this thread (or probably the Halifax thread). Maybe a representative in Halifax could contact them in person. It would be great to get someone like Scott Ferguson involved in this discussion on Skyscraperpage (I don't think that this is too far fetched). I don't know him, but maybe there is someone on this forum who does. Also, does any Skyscraperpage forum-er know someone in the city council who would champion this cause?


Saint Mary's University is an organization that should be looked at.


Section of Huskies Stadium declared unsafe, to be torn down

http://thechronicleherald.ca/photos/...B_09-01-09.jpg

A portion of the derelict Huskies Stadium grandstand will be removed in the next few weeks. It is the second time in a decade a section of the stadium has had to be dismantled. (Christian Laforce / Staff)

By MONTY MOSHER Sports Reporter
Tue. Sep 1 2009 - 4:45 AM

Another chunk of the derelict Huskies Stadium grandstand is headed for the wrecker’s ball.

For the second time in a decade, engineers have determined a portion of the 40-year-old seating area is unsafe and must be removed. Seating for upwards of 300 spectators at the top of the grandstand will be torn out and replaced with a grass embankment, much the same as occurred on the opposite side nine years ago.

The Huskies football team plays its first two games on the road and won’t be home until Sept. 26 against Sherbrooke. Plans are to have the concrete torn out by then.

Saint Mary’s athletic director Steve Sarty said the area of the grandstand to be demolished is the only area deemed unsafe.

"The engineers have confirmed that the rest of the stands are totally safe," Sarty said on Monday.

The problem is not rotting concrete and steel but deterioration of the earth embankment behind it. "The mud in the back of the seats is sliding," Sarty said.

The remaining concrete infrastructure will seat up to 1,700, said Sarty. The university has some temporary seating at field level and will bring in a portable club-seat section, which includes some luxury boxes, to add more than 500 seats for football.


It is a bad year to lose seating with the stadium set to be the site for the 2009 Uteck Bowl between the AUS and Canada West winners.

"Anyone who has been over there to see those seats … it’s certainly not new by any stretch," said Sarty. "Some of them are in worse shape than others. I guess the positive is it’s going to balance out the look of the seats and bring the crowd a little closer together and, hopefully, will help the sales of the club seats on the other side, too."

Sarty said the university has a long-term plan for a "bigger, proper" seating area to replace the grandstand, but there is no timetable for the job.

http://www.smu.ca/administration/adm...es/stadium.jpg

Huskies need a new stadium badly. The CFL would need a stadium. More outdoor concerts could be held in a stadium. We've got to get the ball rolling on this before we let an opportunity pass us by.

There is an online petition that could use some more signatures as well.

http://www.petitiononline.com/hstadium/petition.html

fenwick16 Oct 26, 2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by q12 (Post 4525219)
Huskies need a new stadium badly. The CFL would need a stadium. More outdoor concerts could be held in a stadium. We've got to get the ball rolling on this before we let an opportunity pass us by.

There is an online petition that could use some more signatures as well.

http://www.petitiononline.com/hstadium/petition.html

I agree with q12, it is time to get the ball moving. I signed the petition. I wonder if the author of the petition is on this forum.

To bad there isn't enough space on the SMU campus for a large stadium. One negative against the SMU site is that it doesn't have highway access like the DND/Halifax Forum area or Dartmouth Crossings). Do you think that SMU might be interested in playing their games off-campus? If they would be willing to play their games at the new stadium they would be able to redevelop the current SMU field for academic purposes.

Another person to contact would be Peter Mackay the Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway (and a Nova Scotian). He was at the announcement of the CFL game in Moncton. It is interesting that the Federal government and New Brunswick government jointly contributed 1.5 million dollars for just one CFL game in Moncton. Also the federal government was to prepared to contribute 400 million to the Commonwealth games bid in HRM.

Great comments by beyeas also. Just look at the positive impact that the Metro Centre has had on the quality of life in the HRM.

q12 Oct 28, 2009 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenwick16 (Post 4525416)
I agree with q12, it is time to get the ball moving. I signed the petition. I wonder if the author of the petition is on this forum.

To bad there isn't enough space on the SMU campus for a large stadium. One negative against the SMU site is that it doesn't have highway access like the DND/Halifax Forum area or Dartmouth Crossings). Do you think that SMU might be interested in playing their games off-campus? If they would be willing to play their games at the new stadium they would be able to redevelop the current SMU field for academic purposes.

I think SMU would play games off campus if it meant a better facililty and better attendance.

Another area that a stadium would fit is off of Dunbrack Street between Knightsridge Dr and Wentworth Dr. I'm not sure what the plan is for that land, it was used for radio towers in the past. The access to the 102 from Dunbrack street is excellent, and Dunbrack was built to accommodate six lanes in the future. It would also be close to Mount Saint Vincent University.

I feel that HRM owes its citizens something from the failed commonwealth games fiasco, and especially Mayor Kelly. What we need is to come up with some options to offer to council. They should include 2-3 different size stadiums ranging from a small affordable and upgradeable stadium to a larger facility like the one planned for Winnipeg. Also several sites should be suggested so that there will not be instant rejection due to an unacceptable location.

We've got some pretty development savvy people on this forum, we should be able to come up with some great ideas that could be forwarded to the right people. Just imagine if this little form could be the catalyst to get the ball rolling on a new stadium for Halifax and for Nova Scotia.

cormiermax Oct 28, 2009 3:31 PM

I could see if I could get some designs if that's needed.

thurmas Oct 28, 2009 3:37 PM

boy this is sad just my view from winnipeg here but boy is halifax ever getting beat by moncton. Halifax is what more than double the size of moncton yet can't even keep their tiny cis stadium up to code. Halifax deserves cfl football and a new stadium yet your politicians don't seem to give a s*&# about it, how sad.

q12 Oct 28, 2009 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cormiermax (Post 4528284)
I could see if I could get some designs if that's needed.

Cormiermax that would be extreamely helpful. We need to get some consensus among members of this forum on what size and locations we should narrow our focus to. Maybe we could get a Poll set-up with some options on location and size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 4528295)
boy this is sad just my view from winnipeg here but boy is halifax ever getting beat by moncton. Halifax is what more than double the size of moncton yet can't even keep their tiny cis stadium up to code. Halifax deserves cfl football and a new stadium yet your politicians don't seem to give a s*&# about it, how sad.

I hear you Thurmas, it is sad. It's like the idea of Saskatoon getting 5 Phoenix Coyotes Games over Winnipeg, if Ice Edge Holdings buys the team. But as a Haliagonian I'm tired of being sad and indifferent. I'm not gonna bash the politicians in power since we are going to need them on board. I'm also not prepared to let this idea fizzle out like it has in the past.

Dmajackson Oct 28, 2009 9:08 PM

I made a rough idea of how the stadium could fit into the Ashburn Golf Club lot.

Google Maps

Of course I will point out that the overpass for Willett Street could be diffucult to include because of School Ave.

Wishblade Oct 28, 2009 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 4528295)
boy this is sad just my view from winnipeg here but boy is halifax ever getting beat by moncton. Halifax is what more than double the size of moncton yet can't even keep their tiny cis stadium up to code. Halifax deserves cfl football and a new stadium yet your politicians don't seem to give a s*&# about it, how sad.

Actually more than 3x larger :no:

I believe that the folks on this forum can make a difference though. We just need to figure out how to approach it properly.

q12 Oct 28, 2009 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ (Post 4528827)
I made a rough idea of how the stadium could fit into the Ashburn Golf Club lot.

Google Maps

Of course I will point out that the overpass for Willett Street could be diffucult to include because of School Ave.

Nice job Bedford_DJ. I like the idea of the Mumford Road Extension and widening of the Bi-Hi into Bayers road

someone123 Oct 28, 2009 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 4528295)
boy this is sad just my view from winnipeg here but boy is halifax ever getting beat by moncton. Halifax is what more than double the size of moncton yet can't even keep their tiny cis stadium up to code. Halifax deserves cfl football and a new stadium yet your politicians don't seem to give a s*&# about it, how sad.

To be honest, if Halifax is going to lose out then arena rock and pork-barrel pro sports are pretty good areas to pick.

The stadium doesn't belong to the city, it belongs to St. Mary's University; eventually SMU will pay to fix it. Right now they, along with Dalhousie, where people barely care about sports at all (coincidentally, also the best university in the region), are busy building actual academic buildings.

I would like Halifax to have a little more direction but I'm not sure a stadium is the best thing to be championing right now, at least when the debate is still built around the idea of the government putting up millions and then begging the CFL to come. As for Moncton, they can try it, but it's a bit rich for a city of that size and even if it happens it will still be a stadium in Moncton.

q12 Oct 28, 2009 9:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 4528857)
To be honest, if Halifax is going to lose out then arena rock and pork-barrel pro sports are pretty good areas to pick.

The stadium doesn't belong to the city, it belongs to St. Mary's University; eventually SMU will pay to fix it. Right now they, along with Dalhousie, where people barely care about sports at all (coincidentally, also the best university in the region), are busy building actual academic buildings.

I would like Halifax to have a little more direction but I'm not sure a stadium is the best thing to be championing right now, at least when the debate is still built around the idea of the government putting up millions and then begging the CFL to come. As for Moncton, they can try it, but it's a bit rich for a city of that size and even if it happens it will still be a stadium in Moncton.

Its not so much losing out as it is what facilities a city of our size should have. We could use a new Metro Centre, but at least we have a decent Arena. The point of the Huskies Stadium derelict problem is not that they cannot fix it up is that if we built something better for the whole region(al municipality) to be able to use it would certainly make a better case to build the stadium.

Empire Oct 28, 2009 10:05 PM

deleted

cormiermax Oct 28, 2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by q12 (Post 4528822)
Cormiermax that would be extreamely helpful. We need to get some consensus among members of this forum on what size and locations we should narrow our focus to. Maybe we could get a Poll set-up with some options on location and size.

Alright il get going on designs, what kind of capacity are we looking for? 25-30k?

Dmajackson Oct 28, 2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cormiermax (Post 4528940)
Alright il get going on designs, what kind of capacity are we looking for? 25-30k?

I'd say 20-25'000 is more realistic.

cormiermax Oct 28, 2009 10:43 PM

Ok now all i need to know is details we want, and a location.

Dmajackson Oct 28, 2009 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cormiermax (Post 4529012)
Ok now all i need to know is details we want, and a location.

Well a few have been tossed around;

-Forum Lands
-Young Street between Kempt and Windsor (vacant DND lands)
-Shannon Park
-Ashburn Golf Club


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.