SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | General Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105764)

ardecila Mar 7, 2013 6:02 AM

The new stair is a huge improvement. Everybody can easily see where it is, and where it leads to. There's a weird disconnect between the well-designed corner/entry area clad in aluminum, and the rest of the building clad in brick.

The park at the top still sucks. I don't think people understand that formal squares like that don't work when they're on top of a podium. They need to be activated by homes or businesses on all four sides. With this, you'll have a slow trickle of people passing along the western edge towards Roosevelt Collection and very few people using the park itself, except as a place for the dog (good thing a dog run was included).

Also, the little playground/pocket park across the street is really wasteful. Better to put the playground atop the school, where kids (and parents) will seek it out. Develop the pocket-park with some apartments and a 7-11.

the urban politician Mar 7, 2013 1:35 PM

^ I agree. Why not put the soccer field/tennis courts on top of the school and put the actual park where the soccer field, etc are currently located?

J_M_Tungsten Mar 7, 2013 2:10 PM

Is the building directly behind the Roosevelt collection an actual proposal, or just a rendered filler building? I notice it changes sizes in the 2 renderings.

LouisVanDerWright Mar 7, 2013 3:00 PM

I just dream of the day when River City is finally integrated into the city fabric and surrounded on all sides by active uses. That will be quite a stunner to come across when this is finally a real neighborhood and not just a patchy industrial wasteland.

wierdaaron Mar 7, 2013 6:05 PM

The stairway is quite an improvement indeed. It's a bit steep, though. Those stairs might be intimidating when you're standing at the bottom of them.

The fact that they had to be asked for reasonable stair access makes me wonder if they weren't smart enough to see the need for it, or they hoped nobody would notice the original stair design was awful and they wouldn't have to spend the money.

Also, it looks like the classrooms floating above the service drive are gone now. The pathway from the rooftop to the Roosevelt/Icon deck is just a thin bridge.
http://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/...age640x480.jpg vs http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...-500x373-1.jpg

The ground-level park change is kind of strange. There's still markings for the full-size soccer field they covered half of. Not much you can do with a half-court other than kicking a ball around. The basketball/tennis courts will be a nice feature for the community, provided the school isn't stingy about providing public access.

Does anyone have some higher-resolution versions of these images, or any of the details that came along with the release?

Mr Downtown Mar 7, 2013 6:50 PM

I've put the full packet of renderings up here (3.3 MB PDF).

The playfields aren't on top of the school because they're so small. You'd have to have padded fences to keep the kids from running over the sides.

I think the problem with the steps is that both architect and developer think of the rooftop landscaping as a space approached from the shopping center. That's, of course, where they start any site tour. They have at least a subconscious image that shoppers arrive by car or at least from Roosevelt Road. So the original Grand Staircase seemed bizarre to the new owners, and proposing a switchback fire-escape stair, or now a 72-step 9-foot-wide stair, doesn't bother them. After all, there's an elevator hiding somewhere in the bowels of the parking garage. Why would anyone complain?

I had a little huddle with architect, planner, and alderman after Tuesday night's meeting, suggesting that if some of the school's bulk could be transferred to the site north of 9th, a more terraced arrangement could be created. I'll do a drawing later today, but the idea is that a quarter of that green space north of 9th would have a one-story building with steps up two sides and a terrace (perhaps playground) on top. Then steps would lead to an adjacent two-story bulk, which brings pedestrians up to +20. A 30-foot-wide bridge would cross 9th, pretty much at the level of the Metra tracks. There'd be plenty of room for vehicles underneath because the 9th Street underpass will descend to -12. South of Ninth, a portion of the school building would be at +20/two stories, with further terracing up to the +36 rooftop, same level as the Roosevelt Collection shops.

I'm not sure the developer and CDOT will go for it, and I'm starting to wonder if such a compromise is selling out the neighborhood. After all, that part of the South Loop is legally entitled to an actual two-acre ground-level park. But I find myself pondering what parks actually mean these days to people other than dogwalkers and parents of young kids . Perhaps the connectivity is more important in the long run than yet another two-acre patch of grass where you never see anyone except dogwalkers.

ardecila Mar 7, 2013 7:01 PM

I think public squares can be used properly, but they need to be activated by adjacent use and so far, we've gotten crap. The pocket park concept is overrated, not because of its size but because planners and developers think they can stick it just about anywhere. There's definitely a role for park space, even if it's only to serve as an outdoor spot to sit with coffee and an iPad or a pleasant place to cut through. At a truly public park, neighborhood programming for festivals and events can also add activity.

However, at Roosevelt Collection and Hines at River Point are proposing cul-de-sac parks that have no activating land use and no cut-through pedestrian traffic. Such an arrangement only works for highly programmed park space like athletic fields/courts, dog runs, and playgrounds, not formal green space. The little park at Trio is quite literally on a cul-de-sac and is equally bad.

Mary Bartelme Park in the West Loop might actually turn out well if the adjacent buildings plan for ground-floor retail.

wierdaaron Mar 7, 2013 9:55 PM

The original floorplan for the school included both a gymnasium and an auditorium:

http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...y-2013-007.jpg

The new floorplan just release only has a gymnasium:
http://i.imgur.com/4UF36CZ.png

I guess that's how they were able to reclaim some space to not require the extra classrooms hanging over the side.

the urban politician Mar 8, 2013 12:42 AM

How can a school not have an auditorium?

paytonc Mar 8, 2013 1:12 AM

The gym has a stage and doubles as an auditorium. Just like at the Comer Youth Center:
http://www.ccjm.com/2011/03/30/gary-comer-youth-center/

VivaLFuego Mar 8, 2013 1:52 AM

A bad green space is worse than no green space; at some point the whole thing just needs to be re-thought.

To further ardec's point, the only hope to actually activate any space here is if there is perceptible/visible N-S path continuity between Delano Ct and Financial Pl that allows (invites?) pedestrians to traverse what would otherwise appear impenetrable. These open space plans are so dreadful that I think either (1) the community needs to double down on demanding an actual park or (2) if the inevitability of the British School on this site is accepted, then drop the pretense that anything other than bad park space can possibly be provided (which is, again, worse than no green space).

How about a landscaped promenade down the middle of the site to provide this necessary N-S continuity, with two ~2-story wings of the school on the east and west thirds of the site flanking the promenade and connected by a basement level, with parent drop-off circulation approximately placed as proposed, serving a ground-level entrance under the bridge connecting Roosevelt Collection to said promenade?

As a rough visual template, think of the promenade extending east of Michigan Avenue at Washington leading to the bandshell, but obviously with more pronounced increase in elevation.

It wouldn't be a park in any sense of the word, but it could nonetheless be lined with benches, some grass, trees, etc. and could be a viable and pleasant place to either stop and people-watch, or simply pass through as part of the pedestrian connection between Roosevelt Road and the River City area.

Ch.G, Ch.G Mar 8, 2013 1:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6041781)
But I find myself pondering what parks actually mean these days to people other than dogwalkers and parents of young kids . Perhaps the connectivity is more important in the long run than yet another two-acre patch of grass where you never see anyone except dogwalkers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6041802)
I think public squares can be used properly, but they need to be activated by adjacent use and so far, we've gotten crap. The pocket park concept is overrated, not because of its size but because planners and developers think they can stick it just about anywhere. There's definitely a role for park space, even if it's only to serve as an outdoor spot to sit with coffee and an iPad or a pleasant place to cut through. At a truly public park, neighborhood programming for festivals and events can also add activity.

However, at Roosevelt Collection and Hines at River Point are proposing cul-de-sac parks that have no activating land use and no cut-through pedestrian traffic. Such an arrangement only works for highly programmed park space like athletic fields/courts, dog runs, and playgrounds, not formal green space. The little park at Trio is quite literally on a cul-de-sac and is equally bad.

I agree with both of you. I mean, green space is important, but I get the sense that the primary function of a lot of these "pocket parks" is to stifle densification, preserve views, or serve as over-sized puppy pads. The result is almost always something less desirable than what a more intensive use of the land would yield.

Quote:

I had a little huddle with architect, planner, and alderman after Tuesday night's meeting, suggesting that if some of the school's bulk could be transferred to the site north of 9th, a more terraced arrangement could be created. I'll do a drawing later today, but the idea is that a quarter of that green space north of 9th would have a one-story building with steps up two sides and a terrace (perhaps playground) on top. Then steps would lead to an adjacent two-story bulk, which brings pedestrians up to +20. A 30-foot-wide bridge would cross 9th, pretty much at the level of the Metra tracks. There'd be plenty of room for vehicles underneath because the 9th Street underpass will descend to -12. South of Ninth, a portion of the school building would be at +20/two stories, with further terracing up to the +36 rooftop, same level as the Roosevelt Collection shops.

I like this idea a lot a lot a lot. It's the kind of creative solution a site like this demands and the city deserves, and I find it incredibly frustrating that the people behind the development (especially the architects) don't seem to appreciate or even understand how public spaces function.

ardecila Mar 8, 2013 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego (Post 6042386)
As a rough visual template, think of the promenade extending east of Michigan Avenue at Washington leading to the bandshell, but obviously with more pronounced increase in elevation.

Here's a better one.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4012/4...3eb4b4487e.jpg
src

Go big or go home.

The forced perspective here would actually work well at Roosevelt Collection, as a mirror of what happens at Delano Court. The entire school building could be arrayed around the stairs, with internal hallways looking out over the steps. The problem is, nobody in Chicago has any idea how to work with grade changes because we don't have any.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G (Post 6042391)
I like this idea a lot a lot a lot. It's the kind of creative solution a site like this demands and the city deserves, and I find it incredibly frustrating that the people behind the development (especially the architects) don't seem to appreciate or even understand how public spaces function.

Remember that we're dealing with Antunovich... :rolleyes:

Mr Downtown Mar 8, 2013 2:51 AM

One rather tricky condition is that there's a 30-foot-wide sewer easement down the middle of the park parcel. I'm not clear if that has to be kept open to the sky or just allow 20-foot equipment on top.

From the first meeting we've been trying to get the developer and architect to think about something much more terraced and linear. A long promenade going all the way north to Polk could even be beneficial for the highrises that will go there.

I guess I don't know how optimistic to be about a team that, after weeks of pushback from three community meetings and DHED, merely changes the switchback stair to a linear one.

Earlier, I promised to do a rough sketch illustrating my idea:

http://i.imgur.com/iDe4OPw.jpg

denizen467 Mar 8, 2013 4:12 AM

I hate to interrupt the sloop discussion, just as it was getting exciting (covering from sewer easements to Spanish Steps all within the same half hour), but here is a feel-good piece of news from national-local retail. There is a larger render of the store's design posted at the old structure in Evanston; I think it is their best design yet (sorry, difficult to figure out this article's direct image url).

http://www.suntimes.com/business/186...-retailer.html

Evanston Walgreens store will be country’s first net-zero retailer
March 7, 2013

A Walgreens store set to open in south Evanston later this year is aiming to become the nation’s first “net-zero” energy retail store, which company engineers predict will produce energy equal to or greater than what it consumes. ...

The project reads like a “Green Engineers Go Wild” script with wind turbines, geothermal technology that taps energy sources 550 feet into the earth, LED lighting and ultra-high efficiency refrigeration. ...

The store, scheduled to open in November, figures as Walgreens’ second showcase project in the Obama Administration’s Department of Energy Better Buildings Challenge.

Once completed, Walgreens plans to seek LEED Platinum status for the store – the most stringent green designation by the U.S. Green Building Council, and plans to enter the store into the International Living Future Institute’s Living Building Challenge. ...

b0soleil Mar 8, 2013 6:10 AM

Quote:

I've put the full packet of renderings up here (3.3 MB PDF).

The playfields aren't on top of the school because they're so small. You'd have to have padded fences to keep the kids from running over the sides.

I think the problem with the steps is that both architect and developer think of the rooftop landscaping as a space approached from the shopping center. That's, of course, where they start any site tour. They have at least a subconscious image that shoppers arrive by car or at least from Roosevelt Road. So the original Grand Staircase seemed bizarre to the new owners, and proposing a switchback fire-escape stair, or now a 72-step 9-foot-wide stair, doesn't bother them. After all, there's an elevator hiding somewhere in the bowels of the parking garage. Why would anyone complain?

I'm not sure the developer and CDOT will go for it, and I'm starting to wonder if such a compromise is selling out the neighborhood. After all, that part of the South Loop is legally entitled to an actual two-acre ground-level park. But I find myself pondering what parks actually mean these days to people other than dogwalkers and parents of young kids . Perhaps the connectivity is more important in the long run than yet another two-acre patch of grass where you never see anyone except dogwalkers.

Mr. Downtown, you are awesome! That's a great idea. Connectivity in that area is probably more important than the acquare square footageof park.

pilsenarch Mar 8, 2013 2:47 PM

2 smart forumers...

Mr. D., excellent out-of-the-box thinking, especially for a civi... (architect)

someone else suggested here recently that the only reason they can think of that Antunovich (hack hack hack) is getting so much work is they have a lower fee, which is really the only thing that makes sense to me...

it's the architect who should be schooling the client in this case to come up with something extraordinary for such an unique site and excellent program...

the neighborhood should INSIST on the park as promised until they offer something BETTER...

HomrQT Mar 8, 2013 4:32 PM

So, the Rezko Lot at Clark and Roosevelt is attempting to be rezoned from a "Residential Business Planned Development Ns. 904", to a "M2-3 Light Industry District". What does this mean? Does that mean high rises and Loop esque density are no longer on the plate if "Light Industry" is being requested? Thanks if anyone knows.

jcchii Mar 8, 2013 5:36 PM

^ hmmm
had not heard that

LouisVanDerWright Mar 8, 2013 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 6043059)
So, the Rezko Lot at Clark and Roosevelt is attempting to be rezoned from a "Residential Business Planned Development Ns. 904", to a "M2-3 Light Industry District". What does this mean? Does that mean high rises and Loop esque density are no longer on the plate if "Light Industry" is being requested? Thanks if anyone knows.

It usually means big box retail in a place like this which is what I feared when I originally heard the news that they were looking to get M2-3. There are now rumors that ABT Electronics, Kohls, and Lifetime Fitness are all looking to locate there. I really don't want to see big box here for the next 20-30 years, but oh well, it's better than a vacant lot. At least these buildings will be easy to tear down and redevelop when the time comes unlike Dearborn Park or similar abominations.