SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 1000M (1000 S Michigan) | 805 FT | 73 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218947)

LouisVanDerWright Sep 25, 2015 1:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 7176857)
I assume this is the supertall cantilevered over a landmark that we've been hearing about for a couple of years, right?

Maybe :cool:

jc5680 Sep 25, 2015 1:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G (Post 7174764)
Maddening? I'm legitimately concerned I might spiral down a rage-induced k-hole and wake up in a few days with the decapitated heads of every "Friends of" president at the foot of my bed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G (Post 7176701)
I would kill to see this happen. I mean. Just. Murder. Someone.

I mean, if you connect the dots here…

Steely Dan Sep 25, 2015 1:35 PM

let's please stay on topic.

Domer2019 Sep 25, 2015 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 7176879)
I don't think he means this site specifically, rather the mythical project that was cantilevered over a landmark that someone (lvdw?) had said they had knowledge of but never gave much in the way of details about.

I mean, the cantilever isn't even on the park side (essentially). So either the design/orientation changed, there was some liberty taken in the rumor, or it's different altogether.

SamInTheLoop Sep 25, 2015 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7176657)
Don't jinx it. Shhh... I'd be a shame if this was the spire situation all over again. Let us bask in our skyscraper high for the meantime. As long as we can get steel in the ground, and this rising past the foundation, all is well. Hopefully since they are a Miami developer, and given the trend of developers in S.Florida of doing this, they will start sales really early, while this is still in the design stage. And I mean really early.

Nope - these are two New York developers - JK Equities and Time Equities. If you're thinking of Crescent Heights and 113 E Roosevelt, wrong thread....

SamInTheLoop Sep 25, 2015 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 7176127)
Would 1326 S Michigan be visible from that angle, too?

Yes, 1326 S Michigan would be visible....

Ch.G, Ch.G Sep 25, 2015 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 7176882)
I mean, if you connect the dots here…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7176916)

Fine. But lock your doors.

orulz Sep 25, 2015 8:55 PM

This rapidfire wave of enormous residential project announcements tells me that we are likely entering (or already in) the bubble phase of the economic cycle that has been the rule since, well, ever. Some of these big projects may get off the ground but probably not all.

Rest assured though, even after the inevitable bubble inevitably busts, fiveish years later, a recovery is inevitable and we'll be back into boomland again.

FlashingLights Sep 26, 2015 3:04 AM

this thing blows me away gorgeous

BVictor1 Sep 26, 2015 4:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orulz (Post 7177600)
This rapidfire wave of enormous residential project announcements tells me that we are likely entering (or already in) the bubble phase of the economic cycle that has been the rule since, well, ever. Some of these big projects may get off the ground but probably not all.

Rest assured though, even after the inevitable bubble inevitably busts, fiveish years later, a recovery is inevitable and we'll be back into boomland again.

This rapid-fire wave of enormous projects tells me that developers want to get their shit into the city before the affordable housing ordinance goes into effect in mid October.

b0soleil Sep 26, 2015 6:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 7177210)
Yes, 1326 S Michigan would be visible....

1326 S. Michigan would go inbetween the 2 "short" (30 story) beige towers to right of the ghost tower (phase 2 Michigan and Roosevelt Vinoly tower) and it'll be 2 stories taller than the orange tower in the rendering.)

the urban politician Sep 26, 2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7178032)
This rapid-fire wave of enormous projects tells me that developers want to get their shit into the city before the affordable housing ordinance goes into effect in mid October.

Yep. Which sucks, actually, because some of these proposals may end up being years away.

joeg1985 Sep 26, 2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7178032)

Will these projects really be approved by the city council before that ordinance takes effect. I doubt that. They will have to comply just like all the rest.

Notyrview Sep 26, 2015 12:53 PM

It doesn't suck for people applying for affordable housing.

BVictor1 Sep 26, 2015 1:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeg1985 (Post 7178156)
Will these projects really be approved by the city council before that ordinance takes effect. I doubt that. They will have to comply just like all the rest.

They don't have to be approved before the ordinance takes affect, just filed to the city.

andydie Sep 26, 2015 3:26 PM

Chicago really seems to be on Fire :cheers: awesome proposal and with Jahn you cant go wrong. Lets hope it won´t get too VEd ;)

ChiTownWonder Sep 26, 2015 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0soleil (Post 7178083)
1326 S. Michigan would go inbetween the 2 "short" (30 story) beige towers to right of the ghost tower (phase 2 Michigan and Roosevelt Vinoly tower) and it'll be 2 stories taller than the orange tower in the rendering.)

WOW! i really underestimated the caliber of that building

VKChaz Sep 26, 2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7178169)
They don't have to be approved before the ordinance takes affect, just filed to the city.

Do you know what happens after that? For example, does construction need to be begin/finish by a certain point in order to maintain the exemption?

ardecila Sep 27, 2015 1:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VKChaz (Post 7178552)
Do you know what happens after that? For example, does construction need to be begin/finish by a certain point in order to maintain the exemption?

No, construction start has nothing to do with it. Projects/rezoning requests must be introduced to City Council by October 15th and approved within 9 months of that date.

Likely most of these applications will be deferred while developers hash out the specifics of the project with aldermen and community groups. Assuming they can reach agreements with the community within 9 months, the rezoning will be approved and developers can proceed with the project under the old rules.

The difference between the new and old rules is $6000 per unit, so on this project, the developer stands to save just over $3 million by filing early. Not chump change...

N830MH Sep 27, 2015 6:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7176916)

Thanks mods.

Please stay on topics and follow the rules. You don't want to get a trouble. You must be more respectful to others member. Be nice to each others.

the urban politician Sep 27, 2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7178638)
No, construction start has nothing to do with it. Projects/rezoning requests must be introduced to City Council by October 15th and approved within 9 months of that date.

Likely most of these applications will be deferred while developers hash out the specifics of the project with aldermen and community groups. Assuming they can reach agreements with the community within 9 months, the rezoning will be approved and developers can proceed with the project under the old rules.

The difference between the new and old rules is $6000 per unit, so on this project, the developer stands to save just over $3 million by filing early. Not chump change...

^ Right, but construction has to start eventually or the PD expires, right? Isn't there a certain number of years?

BVictor1 Sep 27, 2015 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 7178852)
^ Right, but construction has to start eventually or the PD expires, right? Isn't there a certain number of years?

6 years and then an alderman can sunset the PD, but that doesn't always happen. Remember that CMK is building south of River City under the existing PD that was established in 1980.

Mr Downtown Sep 27, 2015 3:17 PM

The main thing that's changed is that PDs now include an automatic sunset provision within them, which they didn't have prior to the late 1990s. There was some big downtown project—it may have been Illinois Center—that made this a sore point.

Jibba Sep 28, 2015 5:48 PM

If the facade is anything like these...

http://www.re-thinkingthefuture.org/...phyjahn_02.jpg
source

http://www.re-thinkingthefuture.org/...phyjahn_02.jpg
source

Hopefully they can get away with that level of glass clarity if they employ thin films and native roller shades to meet the code requirements.

Chicago Shawn Sep 28, 2015 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7178881)
6 years and then an alderman can sunset the PD, but that doesn't always happen. Remember that CMK is building south of River City under the existing PD that was established in 1980.

River City was built though. As long as 1 part of the PD is constructed as planned, the remainder remains active and is not subject the automatic sunset. This is what Riverbend tried to argue against with Wolf Point, and was obviously unsuccessful.

LouisVanDerWright Sep 28, 2015 7:26 PM

Has anyone else noticed that there is a giant five story statue with an arm reaching out over Michigan ave proposed as a part of this project?

scalziand Sep 28, 2015 7:59 PM

Big Jahn (the tower) and Little Jahn (the statue)?

Domer2019 Sep 28, 2015 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7179946)
Has anyone else noticed that there is a giant five story statue with an arm reaching out over Michigan ave proposed as a part of this project?

The description says proposed public art - does that mean the piece is undecided as of now, or that they are specifically proposing said statue? The little drawing could just be a placeholder

gallo Sep 28, 2015 9:46 PM

Who knows, maybe it will be like Denver's blue bear:
http://travel-babel.com/wp-content/u...igBlueBear.jpg
source:travel-babel.com

Loopy Sep 29, 2015 3:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7179946)

It's Corbu's Modulor Man hailing a taxi.

wierdaaron Sep 29, 2015 3:31 AM

I've seen a lot of schematics with public art that uses some weird placeholder that doesn't have anything to do with what actually gets commissioned.

Whatever it ends up as, Michigan Ave is a good place for tourist checklist public art. Would be nice if it was something notable enough to pull people further down the road. Visitors love the lions in front of the art museum but there's not really anything for them to the south. GP is kinda boring from Monroe to like 8th.

VKChaz Sep 29, 2015 4:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 7180447)
GP is kinda boring from Monroe to like 8th.

No love for Agora?
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...cartagora.html

ardecila Sep 29, 2015 4:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loopy (Post 7180435)
It's Corbu's Modulor Man hailing a taxi.

Reminds me of New Orleans' evacuation gathering points.

https://res.cloudinary.com/indiegogo...obrnyofj36.jpg

wierdaaron Sep 29, 2015 4:42 AM

Agora is nice. I call it "the legs." It's south of 8th, though. Combined with the new skate park it's a nice little cluster of things to see down there at the south, without much to pull someone over there right now.

Mr Downtown Sep 29, 2015 1:05 PM

The Fountain of the Great Lakes.

Bowman
and Spearman.

Eagle Fountains.

The Spirit of Music.

The Logan Monument.

MiamiSpartan Sep 30, 2015 12:09 AM

I would love to see this built to add some much needed height to the southern skyline.....!!:tup:

2PRUROCKS! Oct 2, 2015 12:43 AM

I have to say I am a little perplexed by this tower. I love almost all of Jahn's work and I am sure the façade will be stunning as all of his recent projects I can think of end up being. However the overall form seems a bit chunky. The cantilevered volumes are interesting but I'm not sure I understand the point. They seem a bit half-hearted as well like they were the start of an idea that wasn't finished. Without the cantilevers the building would be pretty bland... kind of a contemporary version of Aon. I'm sure the façade detailing and quality would be superb but a tower of this stature and this location needs to make a significant skyline impact in overall form and massing when viewed from a distance not just have nice details when viewed up close. The other thing I don't understand is why the tower portion wasn't set back from Michigan Ave. It would seem to make more sense to have the lower portion with the outside terrace and greenspace be on the eastern portion of the building and the tower shifted to the west of the site. This would better relate to the scale of the Michigan Ave street wall making it appear the tower is rising behind it similar to the Legacy, Heritage, Roosevelt University Tower, CNA, etc. I would think it would also be a more desirable amenity to have the outdoor terrace overlooking Michigan Ave. with views of the Lake and Grant Park rather than have a view that would currently overlook a parking lot on Wabash and almost certainly eventually be blocked by whatever tower is eventually built in that parking lot. If the desire was to take advantage of the afternoon sun then I think that is rather short sited as a tower will likely block it out in the future. Even if a future tower is somehow never built in that parking lot I think views of the park and Lake would trump afternoon sun. I want to like this but it just really puzzles me.

Ryanrule Oct 2, 2015 1:08 AM

there is zero chance they would set a building back from the street on Michigan. wall or nothing.

Mr Downtown Oct 2, 2015 1:09 AM

^I'm with you completely.

Landmark issues aside, Jahn has always been such a surehanded formgiver. This just seems so incredibly clunky.

The cantilevers are so small and tentative that it's tempting to say it's not properly worked out yet. But we have our sources suggesting he's been working on this for a couple of years already, and Jahn's forms are always in his first pen sketch, and pretty well worked out by the third.

2PRUROCKS! Oct 2, 2015 1:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanrule (Post 7184084)
there is zero chance they would set a building back from the street on Michigan. wall or nothing.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying in my post. I was suggesting the lower portion that currently buttress out to the back (west side of the site) with the outdoor space on top of it be moved to the Michgan Ave. side to better continue the street wall scale and move the tower portion to the western portion of the site. This would also allow users of the outdoor rooftop space to have forever protected views of Grant Park and the Lake instead of the tower that will eventually be built in the parking lot on Wabash. What I am suggesting would actually preserve the continuity and scale of the street wall while also offering a better amenity to the users IMO.

emathias Oct 2, 2015 1:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalziand (Post 7179991)
Big Jahn (the tower) and Little Jahn (the statue)?

I took this photo a while back and call it "Big John, Little John" because the guy standing there is named John.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7134/...887123ed_b.jpgDSC_2527
by Eric Mathiasen, on Flickr

Randomguy34 Oct 2, 2015 5:11 PM

Tribune included a bottom up view of 1000 S. Michigan showing its cantilever in the article Steely Dan posted in the highrise thread.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-560eaade/t...02/600/338x600
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...002-story.html

Steely Dan Oct 2, 2015 5:15 PM

i don't know how i'm going to explain this to my wife.

my heart has just been stolen from me! :love:

BUILD! IT! NOW!

Skyguy_7 Oct 2, 2015 5:59 PM

^LOL. I don't quite understand your infatuation. The height is great and I like the street presence, but this design just doesn't make much sense to me. The first, angled cantilever feels too clunky. In my opinion, it's just not worth losing your wife over. :shrug:

chris08876 Oct 2, 2015 6:04 PM

This is absurd....

Absurdly good. Damn. An improved Nordstrom like Cantilever. :cool:

The chopped and flanging nature of it is evident. Pretty unique.

HomrQT Oct 2, 2015 7:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 7184668)
Tribune included a bottom up view of 1000 S. Michigan showing its cantilever in the article Steely Dan posted in the highrise thread.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-560eaade/t...02/600/338x600
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...002-story.html

How do the air rights work here? If the owner next door wants to demolish and build taller does this proposal not interfere?

intrepidDesign Oct 2, 2015 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 7184904)
How do the air rights work here? If the owner next door wants to demolish and build taller does this proposal not interfere?

I don't think the building next door can be demolished. Landmark district, no?

munchymunch Oct 2, 2015 8:29 PM

The developers owns the building next door.

Tom Servo Oct 2, 2015 8:42 PM

fuck yeah :cheers::yes:

Busy Bee Oct 2, 2015 10:46 PM

Is Columbia's little building on the corner landmarked as well?