SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 1000M (1000 S Michigan) | 805 FT | 73 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218947)

spyguy Sep 23, 2015 10:26 PM

CHICAGO | 1000M (1000 S Michigan) | 805 FT | 73 FLOORS

1000 S Michigan Avenue:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcpuR6GWAAAczPz.jpg:smallhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcpuRxkWwAAjiES.jpg:small

Steely Dan Sep 23, 2015 10:28 PM

CHICAGO - new jahn tower

when it rains it pours!

munchymunch Sep 23, 2015 10:30 PM

O yes...

spyguy Sep 23, 2015 10:38 PM

Remember that rather blocky (Destefano?) building proposed for this site? Another case where the bust may have actually led to a better result. Can't wait to see the actual renderings and details of this Jahn supertall (finally he gets one in his hometown). Also interesting to see the mix of condos/apartments.

Randomguy34 Sep 23, 2015 10:39 PM

:ahhh::ahhh::ahhh:
I don't believe what is happening to the South Loop this past week. This has to be a dream. Are we in The Matrix?

pilsenarch Sep 23, 2015 10:40 PM

Wow. It appears as if the entire top of the tower is slightly rotated... AND cantilevered over the building to the south...

Jibba Sep 23, 2015 10:42 PM

Damn, SUPER excited about this.

Domer2019 Sep 23, 2015 10:51 PM

Has this been officially announced to any degree yet? Was it mentioned at the meeting?

munchymunch Sep 23, 2015 10:54 PM

Dear all other developers stop proposing so the ones coming now can be built. :tup:

bnk Sep 23, 2015 11:01 PM

Wow any links [info] on this one?

wierdaaron Sep 23, 2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 7174792)
506 units, 598 parking spaces

fml.

Tom Servo Sep 23, 2015 11:11 PM

If the Calatrava and multiple failed projects of the last decade taught us anything it's I'LL BELIEVE WHEN I SEE IT. :uhh:

Just saying. I mean, 1,000 feet... in the South Loop? No way. I foresee drastic scaling back on this one after massive opposition.

Far less units, 600 feet, and more parking. Mark my words.

Domer2019 Sep 23, 2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 7174843)
fml.

But how are else the penthouse owners going to park their collection? Perhaps Jay Leno will put down a deposit...

Ned.B Sep 23, 2015 11:16 PM

^^^At least it has apartments all the way down to the second floor on Michigan. If they are going for the high end residential market, most of those people will expect at least one parking space. That's probably just reality.

sentinel Sep 23, 2015 11:18 PM

OMG!! Totally missed this one!!!! What the what??!!

rlw777 Sep 23, 2015 11:23 PM

Christmas came early

wrab Sep 23, 2015 11:24 PM

Oh, sweet!

rlw777 Sep 23, 2015 11:31 PM

Can't wait for the renders on this one

UrbanLibertine Sep 24, 2015 12:25 AM

This is crazy. Who the hell are all these people moving into these thousands of new units in all these new buildings? Seriously? I love new skyscrapers as much as the next guy but I get worried about the surplus on the market (not necessarily with the starchitect skyscrapers, but with the mediocre midrises).

untitledreality Sep 24, 2015 12:31 AM

Glad to see that the entire Michigan Ave facade is activated with residences, at first glance of the silhouette that was my biggest concern. I am also pleased to see that it is not a block-through design, leaving the door open for a building to go up on Wabash to completely obscure the huge 130' parking podium.

Quite the times for the South Loop. Ralph Johnson at River South, Vinoly at 1200 S Mich, Jahn at 1000 S Mich, B+L at 1300 S Wabash, and a few big SCB turds floating around.

LouisVanDerWright Sep 24, 2015 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine (Post 7174947)
This is crazy. Who the hell are all these people moving into these thousands of new units in all these new buildings? Seriously? I love new skyscrapers as much as the next guy but I get worried about the surplus on the market (not necessarily with the starchitect skyscrapers, but with the mediocre midrises).

Well $3000/mo for an apartment is 30% of a $120,000/yr salary. That's pretty typical income for your techy types whom, up until recently, Chicago has had almost none of. I have a feeling the job creation downtown particularly in tech is driving this. Also remember that there have been a grand total of two luxury condo towers this cycle, both of which are under construction and in the Gold Coast. Assuming we have the same demand for condos downtown that we did in the last boom, we need to build at least 3,000 condos a year for the next few years to even begin to absorb that demand. I have a feeling there are some market forces demanding condo units starting to pent up and they will be released through flashy new towers.

rgolch Sep 24, 2015 12:56 AM

This is just surreal. I am so stunned about all these recent proposals. I'm so happy I could just puke.

LouisVanDerWright Sep 24, 2015 1:07 AM

Also, I'm not sure I quite understand the massing yet, but I'm looking forward to Jahn schooling BIG and 2 WTC on how to properly design a building that cantilevers outwards as it rises.

bcp Sep 24, 2015 1:20 AM

love the height...but have to wonder - why no questions about the "why" that it is cantilevered like this? seems Wanda caught a heck of a lot more grief for an equally arbitrary design element that doesn't seem to reflect context...

i'm just sayin..bring it on nonetheless!!

munchymunch Sep 24, 2015 1:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcp (Post 7175002)
love the height...but have to wonder - why no questions about the "why" that it is cantilevered like this? seems Wanda caught a heck of a lot more grief for an equally arbitrary design element that doesn't seem to reflect context...

I'm holding all judgement until we see actual renderings.

Loopy Sep 24, 2015 1:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilsenarch (Post 7174814)
Wow. It appears as if the entire top of the tower is slightly rotated... AND cantilevered over the building to the south...

Yes. I can't wait to see the renderings! I'm trying to picture it in 3D.

spyguy Sep 24, 2015 1:45 AM

A few more that might help you better visualize the shape/cantilever
http://i61.tinypic.com/2lckxhf.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/2mdkirr.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/zjuomc.jpg

wierdaaron Sep 24, 2015 1:57 AM

Guys, I'd avoid hyperventilating about this until there's an actual proposal and plans and whatnot. Plans get out for buildings that don't come.

untitledreality Sep 24, 2015 2:05 AM

Quote:

Neighboring building is part of the project sub area, yet occupied and protected, limiting the footprint of the proposed building. However, as a residential building ascends, so does the price per square foot of the units, and the premium put on lake views, and/or unobstructed views. So it only makes sense to have the floor plates get larger as the building gets taller. Add some deflection so the SW corner units have 'lake views' and you have dramatically increased the estimated return of your building.

ChiTownWonder Sep 24, 2015 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munchymunch (Post 7175005)
I'm holding all judgement until we see actual renderings.

same, i normally hate cantilevered buildings... ie. WTC2 and the first nordstrom tower proposal.

rlw777 Sep 24, 2015 2:26 AM

Quote:

Wanda caught a lot of heck for poorly conceived rationale of many of the design elements. We haven't heard any rationale from Jahn yet. With 3 decades of solid work under his belt from the Chicago seven to his recent work that is by contrast quite formal I think we can expect this to be quite a bit more thought out than say Bjarke's 2WTC

BVictor1 Sep 24, 2015 2:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 7174856)
If the Calatrava and multiple failed projects of the last decade taught us anything it's I'LL BELIEVE WHEN I SEE IT. :uhh:

Just saying. I mean, 1,000 feet... in the South Loop? No way. I foresee drastic scaling back on this one after massive opposition.

Possibly, but lets also realize that we're dealing with different alderman now.

This is no longer the 2nd Ward and Fioretti isn't around.

Because of gerrymandering, this is the 4th Ward, Will Burns. He's the same guy who got Vue53 through in Hyde Park against the NIMBYs there.

The South Loop now has 3 aldermanic representatives; Dowell, Burns, and Solis.

rgolch Sep 24, 2015 2:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 7174856)

You speak much truth, and I very much agree that I'll believe it when I see it. The only thing I'd say to counter that is that not only are these proposals happening earlier in the cycle of this boom, the last boom was killed by the worst recession in recent history, caused by the subprime mortgage crisis. What's more, the Spire was an insanely ambitious proposal. A tower barely breaking 1000 ft is hardly on par with the Spire.

wierdaaron Sep 24, 2015 3:08 AM

BVic is right, there being three aldermen in the area changes the dynamic. They're all south and southwest side guys who are elected by those neighborhoods and deal with their kind of issues and haven't built a career upon inserting themselves to multi-hundred million dollar construction projects. When I listed to Dowell at these meetings it does not sound like she gives a single shit about the emotional plights of rich prairie-landers the way Reilly has to pretend to for River Northers and the SOAR crowd.

Without that big ego factor from Reilly or Fioretti, maybe these kinds of projects will be able to squeak through without all of the bullshit. Or maybe things will get screwed up because they haven't dealt with things of this scale before.

UPChicago Sep 24, 2015 3:35 AM

What is happening? WOW

BVictor1 Sep 24, 2015 3:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 7175138)
What is happening? WOW

Video Link

brian_b Sep 24, 2015 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 7175120)
BVic is right, there being three aldermen in the area changes the dynamic. They're all south and southwest side guys who are elected by those neighborhoods and deal with their kind of issues and haven't built a career upon inserting themselves to multi-hundred million dollar construction projects. When I listed to Dowell at these meetings it does not sound like she gives a single shit about the emotional plights of rich prairie-landers the way Reilly has to pretend to for River Northers and the SOAR crowd.

Without that big ego factor from Reilly or Fioretti, maybe these kinds of projects will be able to squeak through without all of the bullshit. Or maybe things will get screwed up because they haven't dealt with things of this scale before.

She sure does care what people think, but you probably missed the way she handled it. You see, she asked the developers when the PD was last amended to allow this development. The developer said 2008, as in, this thing went through when it was part of the 2nd ward. The nimbys had their chance and it was on someone else's watch. If you want to complain about something, complain about something she can do something about.

Oh, and by the way, I noticed that Tina Feldstein of PDNA was at the meeting and said nothing against (or for) any of the developments.

TallBob Sep 24, 2015 4:51 AM

Chicago's living proof you don't have to be on the East and/or West coast to get high-rise development!!

BVictor1 Sep 24, 2015 5:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 7175120)

I'll defend SOAR for the most part on this one. They're not the same neighborhood group they were 10 years ago. They're fairly progressive development wise and advocate for the tall and thin.

Remember, they were very pro-Spire. They also have no problem with the height of the Stern proposal. They supported the Waldorf Astoria proposal that would have been 1,200' where the Lowe's currently is.

He definitely kisses the asses of River Northers though...

Notyrview Sep 24, 2015 11:58 AM

Yeah SOAR seems ok, but anyway, holy fuckballs! what??? To reiterate the hysterics of the clip WHAT'S HAPPENING????

Le Baron Sep 24, 2015 12:13 PM

Crains article

From Crains:
Helmut Jahn designing 86-story South Loop residential tower
By Dennis Rodkin
September 24, 2015

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...idential-tower

Architect Helmut Jahn is designing an 86-story South Loop residential tower that would resemble a stack of four tall boxes, with the widest at the top.

The glassy tower proposed for 1000 S. Michigan Ave. would contain 506 residential units and parking for 598 cars, according to plans that appeared on the city clerk's website late yesterday in advance of today's meeting of the Committee on Zoning, Landmarks and Building Standards.

The proposal surfaces less than two days after Miami-based developer Crescent Heights rolled out its plans for a pair of buildings topping out at 76 stories high a little more than a block south, on the southeast corner of Roosevelt Road and Michigan Avenue. That plan, too has a “starchitect”: Rafael Viñoly.

Together, the Jahn and Viñoly projects would raise the profile of the South Loop, where the tallest building now is the 62-story One Museum Park, completed in 2009.

marothisu Sep 24, 2015 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7174972)
Well $3000/mo for an apartment is 30% of a $120,000/yr salary. That's pretty typical income for your techy types whom, up until recently, Chicago has had almost none of. I have a feeling the job creation downtown particularly in tech is driving this. Also remember that there have been a grand total of two luxury condo towers this cycle, both of which are under construction and in the Gold Coast. Assuming we have the same demand for condos downtown that we did in the last boom, we need to build at least 3,000 condos a year for the next few years to even begin to absorb that demand. I have a feeling there are some market forces demanding condo units starting to pent up and they will be released through flashy new towers.

Yep. It's a semi normal salary for someone in tech with let's say more than 5-10 years of good experience who is good at their jobs. You could say the same thing about some consulting gigs too that might not necessarily be 100% tech. I recently saw a posting for Avant for a senior developer and the salary was listed at $90K-$170K/year. The high end is higher than normal for Chicago, but even at half of that if you had a good amount of experience, let's say low to mid 30s and were good at your job, you could get in the $120k-$140k range at some companies in town.

It's a lot of movement lately - a lot. I'm just hoping it's not all speculative or anything. I'm really hoping that the developers know a little something that we don't know yet.

Kenmore Sep 24, 2015 12:34 PM

given the fiscal situation of the state/city and stagnant salaries, there is no chance both of these big dogs get built. heck, i'll be surprised if even one gets off the ground without major reductions.

Notyrview Sep 24, 2015 12:37 PM

Well, the medical district is a straight shot west, with incomes far exceeding those for tech.

Le Baron Sep 24, 2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 7175430)
Well, the medical district is a straight shot west, with incomes far exceeding those for tech.

And the Northwestern Hospital complex is easy to get to - straight shot north on Columbus

BVictor1 Sep 24, 2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenmore (Post 7175424)
given the fiscal situation of the state/city and stagnant salaries, there is no chance both of these big dogs get built. heck, i'll be surprised if even one gets off the ground without major reductions.

What does the states fiscal issues have to do with these developments? There hasn't been a huge increase in vacancy rates downtown and companies have continued to move their headquarters there.

munchymunch Sep 24, 2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

I don't know about that, with thousands of jobs coming from the suburbs and the condominium market low on supply I bet this has a chance to be built.

I don't think this is being targeted for the average worker anyways...

rlw777 Sep 24, 2015 1:17 PM

Quote:

Actually salaries haven't been stagnant for the income bracket these are targeting. The fiscal situation of the state/city has barely anything to do with this. To that point haven't you noticed Chicago has one of the best office markets in the US right now. Chicago is having it's best year ever in office sales.

OrdoSeclorum Sep 24, 2015 1:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw777 (Post 7175461)
Actually salaries haven't been stagnant for the income bracket these are targeting. The fiscal situation of the state/city has barely anything to do with this. To that point haven't you noticed Chicago has one of the best office markets in the US right now. Chicago is having it's best year ever in office sales.

This is just something people are always going to say.

"We're doing this!? What about the national debt?"
"Why not fix the potholes first!"
"With the fiscal mess this city is in, how can we..."

Even if you have a $300,000 mortgage, sometimes you have to spend $500 on a new dishwasher. A lot of people just don't have the cognitive apparatus required to make that leap.

Near North Resident Sep 24, 2015 1:50 PM

wow, BURIED PARKING?

Slim and 1000 ft tall?

yes please!