SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Urban Sky May 26, 2007 5:36 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...n_sky/1414.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...sky/1414_2.jpg

HurricaneHugo May 26, 2007 6:37 AM

Beautiful.

spoonman May 26, 2007 7:42 AM

WE WERE ALL DUPED!!! After reading the article about the new tallest building, I noticed the catch!

"...the tallest "project" in the city". "PROJECT" being the operative word

As if we didn't know better, right? In our hearts we knew it was BS...

Derek May 26, 2007 8:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 2859204)
Got a brochure in the mail today for Embassy 1414 (I registered on their website) and the project looks really impressive. I like the architecture both inside and out, but looking at the brochure I imagine the prices are going to be pretty high though.

I moved downtown not too long ago and wouldn't be practical to move again, but if I was looking to move I'd definately look into this building. The good news is it looks like it is going to be built, the brochure and business card make it pretty obvious the project is moving forward. (CCDC lists a 2009 completion date)

Sorry I can't figure out how to post pics on here, the website is:
http://www.embassy1414.com/indexFlash.htm

it's in little italy and IMO looks like it will be a nice addition to downtown :)

That's excellent news! This project has seemed dead for a few months because of the lack of news about it. This building is still one of my favorite proposals!:tup:

Derek May 26, 2007 8:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 2859566)
WE WERE ALL DUPED!!! After reading the article about the new tallest building, I noticed the catch!

"...the tallest "project" in the city". "PROJECT" being the operative word

As if we didn't know better, right? In our hearts we knew it was BS...

Could you explain? I'm a little tired and my brain isn't functioning.:frog:

keg92101 May 26, 2007 5:19 PM

IVY Hotel

Don't waste your money at this new venue. We had guest tickets but there is no way I would waste $30 to get into this place. It's free to go to the restaraunt/bar, and that is the best area. The club is something out of TJ. The Hard Rock is going to blow this joint out of the water.

spoonman May 26, 2007 5:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2859577)
Could you explain? I'm a little tired and my brain isn't functioning.:frog:

It is the tallest new PROJECT, meaning that it is the tallest building currently under development, rather than the new tallest building in town.

sandiego_urban May 26, 2007 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2858866)
^^ Hopefully that does not become SD's tallest building.

Yeah, it's design isn't worthy of having the distinction of being the tallest. Hopefully, it will be tweaked some more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL
Got a brochure in the mail today for Embassy 1414 (I registered on their website) and the project looks really impressive.

Great news! This is still one of my favorite proposals we have going.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101
Don't waste your money at this new venue. We had guest tickets but there is no way I would waste $30 to get into this place. It's free to go to the restaraunt/bar, and that is the best area. The club is something out of TJ. The Hard Rock is going to blow this joint out of the water.

I can't believe they have the nerve to charge $30 to get in! What's with all the clubs with the high cover charges? Stingaree - $25, Belo - $20, On Broadway - $20, not to mention all of the others that charge $10 - $15. This isn't NYC, people!! Can downtown really support this many high-end clubs? It's inevitable that some of them are going to go out of business as newer open up.

Derek May 26, 2007 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 2859936)
It is the tallest new PROJECT, meaning that it is the tallest building currently under development, rather than the new tallest building in town.

Gotcha.;)

bmfarley May 26, 2007 6:32 PM

^^^^ The relevance of buildings reaching the 500-foot mean elevation above see level is loosing appeal. We have so many that it's no big deal. In fact, anything 400 to 500-foot.... so what.

I do enjoy seeing San Diego's downtown grow and improve.... particularly to the southeast and east toward the freeway. I am all for a rehab those areas!

keg92101 May 26, 2007 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 2859967)

I can't believe they have the nerve to charge $30 to get in! What's with all the clubs with the high cover charges? Stingaree - $25, Belo - $20, On Broadway - $20, not to mention all of the others that charge $10 - $15. This isn't NYC, people!! Can downtown really support this many high-end clubs? It's inevitable that some of them are going to go out of business as newer open up.

I have no problem paying, if its worth it. This place isn't worth it. However, there are plenty of places worse than this in NYC that charge $30 as well. I do believe that SD can support this many high end places, and the many more to come...

bmfarley May 26, 2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 2860051)
I have no problem paying, if its worth it. This place isn't worth it. However, there are plenty of places worse than this in NYC that charge $30 as well. I do believe that SD can support this many high end places, and the many more to come...

I can afford a cover that high, but I don't have enough friends that could do so... or at least of the ones that can, that all of our moods would be aligned to hit a downtown bar at the same time.

I like dive bars a little more. NuNu's at 6th & Brooks in Uptown is decently cool. So are some of the wine bars.... like Wine Steals or the one at the bottom of Mission Hills on Washington.

By the way, are there any bar critique web sites? Is there a blog?

keg92101 May 26, 2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2860418)
I can afford a cover that high, but I don't have enough friends that could do so... or at least of the ones that can, that all of our moods would be aligned to hit a downtown bar at the same time.

I like dive bars a little more. NuNu's at 6th & Brooks in Uptown is decently cool. So are some of the wine bars.... like Wine Steals or the one at the bottom of Mission Hills on Washington.

By the way, are there any bar critique web sites? Is there a blog?

Wouldn't that be sweet, like eater.com for NYC. I dig the dives as well. Landlord Jim's is a great place, and who can argue with $4 for a Stella?

http://eater.com

SDCAL May 27, 2007 7:09 PM

So, when a project's height is listed on CCDC's website, do they mean the the height above sea-level or the actual height of the building ??

There are two propsed projects (neither have renderings on the site) that have the height listed as 500 ft - Monaco (East Village) and Riviera (Cortez Hill) and I'm wondering if that means the buildings themselves will be as tall as our tallest builing, One America, or if it just means they will be 500 ft above sea level?

The thing that makes this height restriction even worse is that unlike most cities, San Diego has topography and hills right dowtown (ie cortez hill). It gives downtown depth and a nice backdrop, but if buildings in cortez hill can only be 500ft above sea level, as opposed to building 500ft buildings on Cortez Hill, I'm afraid it will make the skyline look silly, like a big plateau filled with buildings that all purposefully level out on the same horizon regardless of whether they are in a valley or on a hill.

Derek May 27, 2007 7:26 PM

Monaco is 350 feet. You can check this in past board meeting agendas. 500 feet must mean above sea level.

Urban Sky May 27, 2007 9:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2860043)
^^^^ The relevance of buildings reaching the 500-foot mean elevation above see level is loosing appeal. We have so many that it's no big deal. In fact, anything 400 to 500-foot.... so what.

I do enjoy seeing San Diego's downtown grow and improve.... particularly to the southeast and east toward the freeway. I am all for a rehab those areas!

i second that motion

Derek May 28, 2007 5:23 AM

Anybody got news on the Marriott that was supposed to start construction last week but didn't?

spoonman May 28, 2007 9:11 AM

^I'd like to know as well. At this point, Vantage Pointe will be done before that Marriott, which is just laughable.

bushman61988 May 29, 2007 6:52 PM

Lane Field Response

Well, about a week or two ago I commented on the Port Website regarding the Lane Field hotel towers. Here was my Comments:
"I think the tower design is great! The sail roof top is unique and really will look world-class, lit up at night. Definitely a signature tower on our waterfront, and it will definitely stand out on our skyline.

But my main complaint against this project is they're twin towers.. Our skyline already has numerous twin towers (about 5 from my count), including directly east of the Lane Field project, the Grande towers. I think the it makes the skyline look really boring to have all these twin towers, especially from such a prominent location, right on our waterfront. And doesn't the 2006 Downtown Specific Plan Update outline that there should be no new towers that look too similar alike?

Finally, I think the base is a bit boring, but it's OKAY, just a nice kind of bland. All in all, a really great hotel project for the waterfront and the city"

Here was the response I got yesterday from the Port of San Diego:

"Thank you for your comments. The architects are making design revisions to the towers to give each hotel its own identity, although still using similar materials. The base of the building is being designed as the plans for the retail space are finalized with tenants, including adding outdoor seating and balconies."

SDDTProspector May 30, 2007 2:10 AM

HUGE Downtown development being proposed

:) Can't wait to see this one..... Sounds really BIG

CCDC and the San Diego Redevelopment Agency have selected Related Cos., a private real estate development firm, San Diego-based CityLink Investment Corp. and Carrier Johnson as a joint venture team to negotiate the proposed development of a major mixed-use project at Seventh Avenue and Market Street. The $300 million project -- contained on a single block -- will have 42 stories of market rate and affordable housing, hotel, retail, street-front commercial and cultural space and a police storefront. The developers will build a 650-vehicle public parking garage that will be owned and operated by CCDC and the Redevelopment Agency.

“Seventh and Market offers local residents a new model for a multi-level, active city center, and it adds a distinctive skyline,” says Frank Wolden, design principal for Carrier Johnson. “This 'sky palace' features roof decks and garden terraces that cascade down the building, allowing people to walk outdoors on all levels of the tower. The concept of a vertical city energized by 'skylife' also is captured by a series of levels visually identified by stairs, balconies and terraces, all reflected in the striking use of glass, which gives the tower a luminous quality at all times of day.”

Affordable housing units will be dispersed throughout the tower. Three levels of private underground parking will serve residents and tenants. Above, six levels of public parking will be enveloped and masked by the residences.

“The integrated public and private project components will create a model mixed-use, mixed-income development enabling CCDC and the Agency to create a vertically integrated landmark high-rise and a new cultural venue that will create a living legacy to and celebrate Downtown's African-American history,” says William Jones, president and CEO of CityLink.