SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | SoMi Tower | 488 FT | 47 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225446)

gebs Feb 16, 2018 2:54 PM

These building nicknames are getting a little hyperbolic, but I will admit, it's much, much better than "SoMi".

Notyrview Feb 16, 2018 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fvn (Post 8087490)

Yummy

r18tdi Feb 16, 2018 3:30 PM

Much better name. Time to update the thread title!

BuildThemTaller Feb 16, 2018 4:33 PM

Just noticed in the new rendering that the gym is on the top floor amenity deck facing East and then there's an outdoor area with what I assume will be a pool on the West side. Very cool. I would love to run on that treadmill looking out at Lake Michigan in the winter. And then to have those views of downtown Chicago on the sun deck in the summer... Very nice. :tup:

SamInTheLoop Feb 18, 2018 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sox102 (Post 8086617)
It still is window wall. It's called hybrid window wall. It looks like curtain wall, but the system starts and stops at the slab edges. Saves money on fire safing all the slab edges.

Interesting....thanks for the explanation. If it looks this good, hybrid window wall system works for me!

harryc Feb 19, 2018 5:14 PM

Feb 17

JMKeynes Feb 19, 2018 5:30 PM

Very nice!

I like the female element in the middle of the facade.

harryc Feb 19, 2018 5:35 PM

1411 S Michigan

w.t.

Kumdogmillionaire Feb 19, 2018 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMKeynes (Post 8090872)
Very nice!

I like the female element in the middle of the facade.

"Female element" :haha: We are adults, you can call it a vagina

left of center Feb 20, 2018 12:20 AM

Adding in the masculine element on the east facade facing Michigan, it appears that the architect clearly had something else on his mind when designing this building :haha:

spidey7312 Feb 20, 2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8090883)
Jan 27

Feb 17

wrong thread lol

harryc Mar 7, 2018 7:38 PM

March 6

Good neighbors vent their exhaust out to the street - not into the confined alley

Notyrview Mar 7, 2018 8:06 PM

Those edges are sweet. This and Essex are turning into surprise hits.

left of center Mar 7, 2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 8111373)
Those edges are sweet. This and Essex are turning into surprise hits.

Couldn't agree more. I was a bit meh on both of these projects when they were initially proposed. They are currently among my favorite towers going up in the city right now.

Notyrview Mar 8, 2018 3:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8111624)
Couldn't agree more. I was a bit meh on both of these projects when they were initially proposed. They are currently among my favorite towers going up in the city right now.

Same!

gebs Mar 8, 2018 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8111624)

As a resident of the South Loop, I also agree. Hopefully this will give the neighborhood a little more character. Though I love living there, I constantly admit that it's very bland in terms of personality. The buildings themselves might not do the trick, but the influx of people and the corresponding restaurants might.

harryc Mar 8, 2018 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8112455)
As a resident of the South Loop, I also agree. Hopefully this will give the neighborhood a little more character. Though I love living there, I constantly admit that it's very bland in terms of personality. The buildings themselves might not do the trick, but the influx of people and the corresponding restaurants might.

If only you could step back to '79 , bland was not a word the we used to describe the South Loop.

gebs Mar 8, 2018 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8112497)
If only you could step back to '79 , bland was not a word the we used to describe the South Loop.

Ha! So I've been told, Harry. I've heard that there was a time when no one would venture south of Congress.

Zerton Mar 8, 2018 5:41 PM

Vista's little sister! (I was going to say "brother" before I saw the "female element" comments lol)

230Roberto Mar 8, 2018 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8112455)

Agreed the south loop deserves better architecture. It's still missing that one building that everybody would look at and be like "oh yea that's the south loop" I don't even think Grant Park is it (maybe with Phase 2 then it would look like behemoth) For example. Presidential Towers, Sears Tower, Trump Tower, John Hancock, Tribune Tower, Crain Communications Building. All these towers have their own part of town.