SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Larla77 Mar 18, 2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jondrover (Post 8123710)
Moving to Kenomunt Road.

Thanks. I heard they were moving not long after I posted as well. Loss for downtown. They were one of the larger retailers down there I think.

J_Murphy Mar 20, 2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8123898)
Thanks. I heard they were moving not long after I posted as well. Loss for downtown. They were one of the larger retailers down there I think.

They have been there for as long as I can remember. Sad when downtown fixtures like this are starting to move to Kenmount Road.

Sox Mar 20, 2018 11:15 AM

I mean, call it for what it is, People do not go downtown St.John's to Shop ! It is wayyyyy too inconvenient , and for the most part, wayyyy too expensive !
The parking issue is a huge factor which keeps the majority of people away, and that is never going to change, and it is never going to get better. This factor alone, makes it an extremely uphill battle for any Retailer to try and survive in the downtown core.
People go downtown St.John's to go Bars and Restaurants, it is what it is --- I am frankly surprised that there are any Retail shops left downtown at all ! Why would anyone open a store downtown, knowing full well, that they are facing this everyday challenge ? I mean , it is not like the RENT is discounted to account for this or something ! Downtown rent is probably higher than most strip malls. So until operating costs come down, and the parking issue is fixed, it is my opinion that the Retail sector in downtown is only going to shrink dramatically over the next few years.

Larla77 Mar 20, 2018 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 8125926)
I mean, call it for what it is, People do not go downtown St.John's to Shop ! It is wayyyyy too inconvenient , and for the most part, wayyyy too expensive !
The parking issue is a huge factor which keeps the majority of people away, and that is never going to change, and it is never going to get better. This factor alone, makes it an extremely uphill battle for any Retailer to try and survive in the downtown core.
People go downtown St.John's to go Bars and Restaurants, it is what it is --- I am frankly surprised that there are any Retail shops left downtown at all ! Why would anyone open a store downtown, knowing full well, that they are facing this everyday challenge ? I mean , it is not like the RENT is discounted to account for this or something ! Downtown rent is probably higher than most strip malls. So until operating costs come down, and the parking issue is fixed, it is my opinion that the Retail sector in downtown is only going to shrink dramatically over the next few years.

My mom misses the large shops downtown still (Bowrings, the London, etc). But you're right - people go downtown mostly for restuarants and bars (and work). Specialty retail catering to the crowd living downtown does alright (Twister Sister, Model Citizens) but they don't have mass appeal. In the case of the Model Shop the expectations of women for bridal has increased in the last 10 years due to shows like Say Yes to the Dress. The Model Shop didn't have space in that location to cater to private appointments, etc. I got my dress there a few years ago and that floor isn't accessible and was small. They had to move or die.

jjavman Mar 21, 2018 8:52 PM

Stockwoods

http://vocm.com/news/st-johns-landma...hop-next-week/

This is too bad. Another St. John's landmark closing.
Competition or location?

Marty_Mcfly Mar 21, 2018 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjavman (Post 8128088)
http://vocm.com/news/st-johns-landma...hop-next-week/

This is too bad. Another St. John's landmark closing.
Competition or location?

The owner is just looking to sell, they don't want it anymore. But no one has bit on buying the place.

KDMusic Mar 27, 2018 7:22 PM

A few updates from the mall
- Alia & TanJay is moving to a new spot next to SoftMoc (Ardene's old spot)
- La Vie En Rose is moving to a new spot next to the new Ricki's
- And it looks like they have started construction on the expansion of the top floor for the Cineplex Rec Room

rthomasd Mar 30, 2018 12:20 AM

Next week's City Council meeting has the development proposal for changes to the Avalon Mall.

Changes -
The re-aligned Kenmount Rd entrance - with new buildings on each side.
The right-most section of Sears to be demolished, with new parking.
Second floor over Sears
An extension of the standalone building next to ToysrUS, is this replacing the Golden Phoenix?

Here's the plan.

https://preview.ibb.co/eYNbaS/av_mall_2018.jpg

Larla77 Mar 30, 2018 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 8137687)
Next week's City Council meeting has the development proposal for changes to the Avalon Mall.

Changes -
The re-aligned Kenmount Rd entrance - with new buildings on each side.
The right-most section of Sears to be demolished, with new parking.
Second floor over Sears
An extension of the standalone building next to ToysrUS, is this replacing the Golden Phoenix?

Here's the plan.

https://preview.ibb.co/eYNbaS/av_mall_2018.jpg

Looks like a good chunk of the sears is gone and they are building over the parking lot near winner's and Starbucks. I assume one of the new buildings is for Fog City who announced they were moving out of the mall into a stand alone a few months ago. I can't tell if the building to the right is the building h&r block is in or if that building is gone.

KDMusic Mar 30, 2018 2:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8137695)
Looks like a good chunk of the sears is gone and they are building over the parking lot near winner's and Starbucks. I assume one of the new buildings is for Fog City who announced they were moving out of the mall into a stand alone a few months ago. I can't tell if the building to the right is the building h&r block is in or if that building is gone.

The city council agenda also mentions the "removal of existing free-standing building", so that is likely referring to the H&R Block building.

rthomasd Mar 30, 2018 2:57 AM

Perhaps, it doesn't appear on the new drawing.

Also heard that there'll be a bridge across the river between Woodgate Building and the Mall. Also that they are looking to move the Metrobus transits into one stop instead of two and have it around the old Sear area. Although it's more likely they'll move the one near Winners to the Sears area.

IronMan Mar 30, 2018 2:19 PM

Great find rthomasd!

Was also at the Aberdeen Walmart yesterday. They too have started the process to become a super centre. Clearance centre is setup and they are starting to move departments around - also have a sign on the front of the building noting the change.

GarryEllice Apr 3, 2018 1:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 8137687)
Second floor over Sears

What makes you say there's a second floor over Sears? Looks like all one level to me.

rthomasd Apr 3, 2018 2:03 PM

That's what I heard from someone who had a briefing on the re-development, could be wrong. There are conflicting pictures floating around - one shows a new entrance ( very tall ) at the Winners/ScotiaBank area, but the development plans now posted show that they are bumping out that section to include all of the parking lot from the bus stop to the building, so that Winners entrance picture wouldn't be correct.

KDMusic Apr 3, 2018 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryEllice (Post 8141329)
What makes you say there's a second floor over Sears? Looks like all one level to me.

I haven't heard anything about a second floor over Sears, but there is an extension to the second floor happening over the Scotiabank entrance in the back of the mall, for the Rec Room expansion with Cineplex. So someone may have mixed those two stories together by accident.

goodgrowth Apr 3, 2018 2:12 PM

It's sort of interesting that they are putting all this money into redeveloping the mall now because I thought it was the general trend that malls were "dying out".

I think I read somewhere that urban/upscale malls are the only ones really bucking that trend. So maybe that's sort of the idea here. Also probably helps that they basically have the only theaters in town.

Brandano Apr 3, 2018 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8141389)
It's sort of interesting that they are putting all this money into redeveloping the mall now because I thought it was the general trend that malls were "dying out".

I think I read somewhere that urban/upscale malls are the only ones really bucking that trend. So maybe that's sort of the idea here. Also probably helps that they basically have the only theaters in town.

Apparently the Avalon Mall is the exception to the rule. I think CBC did a write-up on that not too long ago.

Tommyswally Apr 3, 2018 3:33 PM

Quote:

Well according to the parking lot last Saturday the Avalon Mall is defiantly bucking the trend

Offshore1 Apr 4, 2018 3:17 AM

Quote:

A few thoughts on malls in St. John's:

I think the malls have a reasonable mix of stores that our somewhat homogenous population will support - nothing too outside the box.

Personally I don't do much shopping downtown - prices and parking being factors - and I don't think I'm alone.

Also weather - when it comes down to it our weather sucks for 7-8 months out of the year and it's nice to be able to shop at a variety of stores while only having to park Once. :shrug:

colinpeddle Apr 4, 2018 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offshore1 (Post 8142237)
A few thoughts on malls in St. John's:

Imo, despite what the parking lot might lead you to believe, our mall isn't that busy or hard to get around, and that's a big bonus. Even at the busiest times of year I've almost never had to wait on line anywhere near the lengths I have waited elsewhere in NA or EU, on just a regular ole weekend.

Saying that, the Avalon Mall holds a special place in the hearts of locals that I wouldn't think a mall such as "The Mall at Fox Run" has for the locals of New Hampshire.

Be it lingering effect (or perhaps affect-ion) from the "good ole days" before we had all these big box stores or because it's really the only game in town and St. John's folk love going to the best. Perhaps if there were another bigger and better mall on the outskirts of town the Avalon Mall would suffer. It isn't entirely easy to access via car if I'm to be honest and the parking lot is a shit show.

One observation I've made in my travels. Compared to malls of a similar size and retail value, the Avalon Mall's food court is one of the best I've seen. I've seen similarly sized or larger malls in the States have maybe 2-3 restaurants.. a cinnabon, auntie anne and perhaps a chickfila or popeyes.

I can't even count on two hands the number of restaurants we have in the Avalon Mall and this does a LOT more for the shops of the Mall than I believe anyone may realize. Personally, more than once I've gone to the mall solely for NY Fries and wound up spending 20 minutes shopping and spending money elsewhere.

And if there's one thing NL'ers love, it's fast food and shopping.

Arrakis Apr 16, 2018 8:24 PM

Work seems to be progressing on gutting the old Sears space. I guess in preparation for partial demolition.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ac&oe=5B73CF5C

statbass Apr 20, 2018 2:03 PM

Paradise retail plaza at former ACAN site more than just gas bar and convenience stor

The Telegram
April 20, 2018
Author: Kenn Oliver

Quote:

The demolition of the former ACAN Windows and Doors facility on Topsail Road in Paradise is nearing completion and residents should start to see some preliminary construction work begin early next month.

Once construction of the 80,000- to 90,000-square-foot retail plaza on the 600,000-square foot site is completed next spring, developer Roberto Di Giorgio of ALRE Properties says, “It should be the main commercial hub for the town of Paradise.

“As far as Paradise is concerned, the majority of the businesses that are going to be opening up on my project are new to the town,” says Di Giorgio.

“We’re not just copying and pasting from what’s existing.”

The current plan calls for up to 10 retailers — a mix of privately and corporately operated franchises — but the only confirmed type of business to date is a gas bar and convenience store.

Like the rest of the tenants set to occupy space in the $25-million facility, there’s a confidentiality agreement in place that prohibits revealing the particular brand.

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...eloper-203462/

Arrakis Apr 20, 2018 5:18 PM

I still find it kinda strange that Alre Properties which has been incorporated since 2000 still has only a landing page as a website.
You would think they would at least have a schematic of the proposed development or a show a render of the buildings to promote it, whether it be them or The Town of Paradise.
In the end I think this is just gonna be a boring old strip mall like anywhere else in metro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 8161715)
The Telegram
April 20, 2018
Author: Kenn Oliver

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...eloper-203462/

goodgrowth Apr 20, 2018 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8162082)
I still find it kinda strange that Alre Properties which has been incorporated since 2000 still has only a landing page as a website.
You would think they would at least have a schematic of the proposed development or a show a render of the buildings to promote it, whether it be them or The Town of Paradise.
In the end I think this is just gonna be a boring old strip mall like anywhere else in metro.

I mean I'm not exactly sure what you are expecting. My guess is it's going to have the multi-retailer "strips" like in any other box centre around town. Which considering what was there is a huge improvement.

Arrakis Apr 20, 2018 8:41 PM

Oh, I’m not expecting it to anything other than a strip mall like any other one that we’ve already seen here. Though the developers are playing it like it’s gonna be something different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8162327)
I mean I'm not exactly sure what you are expecting. My guess is it's going to have the multi-retailer "strips" like in any other box centre around town. Which considering what was there is a huge improvement.

goodgrowth Apr 20, 2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8162429)
Oh, I’m not expecting it to anything other than a strip mall like any other one that we’ve already seen here. Though the developers are playing it like it’s gonna be something different.

Well I guess in my view almost anything is better than what was there. But all the things I am reading gives me the impression that this will be a mini smart-centre/power-centre/box-centre more so than what I think of in terms of one of those cheap basic strip malls...if that's what you are inferring. The fact that it's supposedly "national retailers", "franchises" and going to cost $25 million dollars to build...

Most classic strip malls are just filled with local business...there are already a few of those in Paradise and are not always fully utilized. I think it would be risky to just put another one in there. And my basic impression from this guy is he probably only deals with retailers that are going to be reliable/long term leasers....

Of course I could be wrong...

Arrakis Apr 21, 2018 12:31 AM

Time will tell I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8162546)
Well I guess in my view almost anything is better than what was there. But all the things I am reading gives me the impression that this will be a mini smart-centre/power-centre/box-centre more so than what I think of in terms of one of those cheap basic strip malls...if that's what you are inferring. The fact that it's supposedly "national retailers", "franchises" and going to cost $25 million dollars to build...

Most classic strip malls are just filled with local business...there are already a few of those in Paradise and are not always fully utilized. I think it would be risky to just put another one in there. And my basic impression from this guy is he probably only deals with retailers that are going to be reliable/long term leasers....

Arrakis Apr 21, 2018 12:43 AM

I was up on Kelsey Drive today and a large parcel of land is being development just as your turn onto Kelsey Drive from Kenmount Road right below the TD Bank and Marks Work Wearhouse. The entrance would likely be at the Kiwanis Drive intersection. Anyone hear of what might be going there?

rthomasd Apr 21, 2018 2:51 AM

Last September City Council approved a 'Commercial Garage' for 309-313 Kenmount Rd. Don't know what this could be.

Arrakis Apr 21, 2018 3:01 AM

309 kenmount rd is gonna be a new Mr Lube location across from Kelsey’s restaurant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 8162743)
Last September City Council approved a 'Commercial Garage' for 309-313 Kenmount Rd. Don't know what this could be.

Arrakis Apr 21, 2018 1:24 PM

New brewery being constructed in Mount Pearl.

http://vocm.com/news/brewery-under-c...n-mount-pearl/

Arrakis Apr 23, 2018 9:04 PM

Noticed that the large LABELS store in the Village Mall has closed that location but have not really left the Village. They have moved to a much much smaller location within the mall in the former space occupied by Bootlegger next to Stokes. Always wonder how Labels could afford such a large rental space with so few customers ever in there. I have never really seen any more than half dozen people in there at one time. Certainly opens up an opportunity for a large tenant. Knowing the Village Mall, they will likely rent out as office space as that is probably the quickest way to get paying tenants in that place these days.

Malreynolds Apr 25, 2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8165122)
Noticed that the large LABELS store in the Village Mall has closed that location but have not really left the Village. They have moved to a much much smaller location within the mall in the former space occupied by Bootlegger next to Stokes. Always wonder how Labels could afford such a large rental space with so few customers ever in there. I have never really seen any more than half dozen people in there at one time. Certainly opens up an opportunity for a large tenant. Knowing the Village Mall, they will likely rent out as office space as that is probably the quickest way to get paying tenants in that place these days.

Heard a rumor of a Giant Tiger coming here and that the village was one of the possible spots they were looking at

rthomasd Apr 25, 2018 2:46 PM

Home Hardware and GoodLife Fitness opening in the Torbay Road Mall. Renovations starting in the next week or so with opening in the fall.

J_Murphy Apr 25, 2018 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 8167144)
Home Hardware and GoodLife Fitness opening in the Torbay Road Mall. Renovations starting in the next week or so with opening in the fall.

Seems like a good move for both companies. I assume Goodlife will close in Coakers Meadow Plaza up the road, which is very small. It will also be good to have a hardware store that isn't in Stavanger or Kelsey areas.

Also, this building is currently very depressing, hopefully it will bring some life back to it.

goodgrowth Apr 25, 2018 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 8167227)
Seems like a good move for both companies. I assume Goodlife will close in Coakers Meadow Plaza up the road, which is very small. It will also be good to have a hardware store that isn't in Stavanger or Kelsey areas.

Also, this building is currently very depressing, hopefully it will bring some life back to it.

Curious how much external renovation there will be...as it's quite old looking/bland on the outside. Hopefully it's a bit more than just renovating the inside and sticking their corporate signs out front.

rthomasd Apr 26, 2018 2:14 AM

Tiny's Bar and Grill is opening in the Redrock building on Topsail Rd., during the summer.

rthomasd Apr 26, 2018 2:15 AM

Rumour - Micro-brewer setting up in the Templeton's Building on Water St.

Arrakis Apr 26, 2018 4:09 AM

That would be a decent location for A Giant Tger. It was pretty under used by Labels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malreynolds (Post 8166958)
Heard a rumor of a Giant Tiger coming here and that the village was one of the possible spots they were looking at

goodgrowth Apr 27, 2018 6:44 PM

Looks like Bill Matthew's Volkswagen is moving to Kelsey Drive...near the office buildings.

Arrakis Apr 28, 2018 3:52 AM

They announced that sometime last year. Have they started site work yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8169984)
Looks like Bill Matthew's Volkswagen is moving to Kelsey Drive...near the office buildings.

Offshore1 Apr 28, 2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8170469)

Pretty sure site prep work was started as of a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been by there recently to see if there's any progress.

goodgrowth Apr 28, 2018 1:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8170469)

Oh, never knew to be honest. There is a sign up that says "Coming 2018/2019"..didn't quite catch it.

They must be really outgrowing the existing location if they are building a new spot off the main drag...

Arrakis Apr 28, 2018 3:28 PM

I also heard that vw will keep the current location on Kenmount as an exclusive Audi dealer as that brand has become more popular in recent years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8170600)
Oh, never knew to be honest. There is a sign up that says "Coming 2018/2019"..didn't quite catch it.

They must be really outgrowing the existing location if they are building a new spot off the main drag...

goodgrowth May 7, 2018 3:52 PM

Canopy growth will open 3 retail stores in St. John's:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ohns-1.4651324

Quote:

Another 60 people will have jobs at four of its retail stores located on Water Street and Kenmount Road in St. John's and Broadway in Corner Brook. The fourth retail store will be located at the production facility, which will also include a warehouse and office space.

"As soon as it's legal, we will have those retail stores open," said Ryan.

Darkfire May 16, 2018 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8162546)

Here is an image of the civil drawings, project is currently on tender for the 6 buildings, interior fit up is not included, but pharmacy (I assume Shoppers), 3 restaurants (only one I've heard is Swiss Chalet), gas station, and a 4 unit retail strip
https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/2/AAD...36&size_mode=3

goodgrowth May 16, 2018 8:10 PM

Nice find! Pretty much what I expected...basically a mini box-centre type retail area.

If I had to take a stab at what building is what I'd say:

- 5 is Shoppers
- 3 is convenience/gas store
- 2 and 4 are fast food restuarants
- 6 is Swiss Chalet or bank?
- 1 no idea
- 7 no idea either

Arrakis May 23, 2018 10:44 AM

A little bit more info is surfacing on that former Dominion space on Churchill Square that Sheilagh O’Leary has mentioned previously.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...cery-1.4673450

goodgrowth May 23, 2018 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8196710)
A little bit more info is surfacing on that former Dominion space on Churchill Square that Sheilagh O’Leary has mentioned previously.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...cery-1.4673450

So basically a Shoppers will be going there

Horsell May 23, 2018 10:37 PM

Redeveloping that site into "just a Shoppers" is a little shortsighted. Ideally it would be nice to see the area from Scotiabank to Quintanas levelled (sorry Ben's...might have heritage implications...ha..ha) and replaced with commercial topped with three or four stories of residential. Hmmm...why not reasonably priced rental units for MUN students.