SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   [Halifax] Queen's Marque | 30 m | 10 fl | Completed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145372)

Drybrain May 13, 2016 12:46 PM

Regardless of my feeling on Queen's Marque (I like some things, don't like others, am very unimpressed with the centre block portion) Halifax's DRC is kinda...easy to impress.

bluenoser May 13, 2016 2:44 PM

It's not what I was expecting and I have some definite reservations, but it is also impressive in many ways, and it's growing on me as well.

This is not really the right attitude, but when I see views like the one in this video, my reaction is to think: I don't even care, just start building over those massive parking lots ASAP...
https://www.facebook.com/flitelab/vi...7966685902781/

OldDartmouthMark May 13, 2016 2:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziobrop (Post 7440288)
you know - its growing on me.
my initial reaction was its good - i like it, but meh

the more i look at it - the more i like it

Ha! I was just about to post the same thing. The more I look at it, and take in the details, the more I'm liking it. I think it will be a nice addition to the waterfront, as long as they stick with the plan of using quality materials such as stone and copper.

...and get rid of the creepy floating humans in the 'public art' area (though I know that will not be as rendered)! :haha:

Jonovision May 15, 2016 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ns_kid (Post 7440266)
The Queen's marque proposal earned rave reviews at Design Review Committee last night. An approval vote is months away but members gave full marks to the concept. Quoted by ANS, committee member and architect Anna Sampson said, "It is a pleasure to look at the renderings of a building and understand what you were trying to do with the architecture. That was a beautiful moment."

That is one thing that I really appreciate about this proposal. I can read the architecture. It makes sense to me. Looking at a proposal like this one makes me take a hard look at the other projects in the city and realize that some are not up to par.

counterfactual May 18, 2016 9:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drybrain (Post 7440313)
Regardless of my feeling on Queen's Marque (I like some things, don't like others, am very unimpressed with the centre block portion) Halifax's DRC is kinda...easy to impress.

There are probably some architectural elements of the design that we don't see that an architect would. These guys are leading architects, after all.

I think overall it's a beautiful proposal, but there are some things that could be changed. But it's an easy net-improvement to what is in the waterfront now, especially if they retain some space for existing kiosks in the plaza or just on the other side.

counterfactual May 18, 2016 11:41 AM

I'm also liking this proposal more and more, especially the public-facing elements. This really creates a nice public space for people to sit, hang, lounge near the water.

someone123 Aug 12, 2016 7:00 PM

(Repost from the Canada section.)

Construction prep is starting for Queen's Marque in Halifax and they are doing some interesting work to preserve marine habitat while the new structure is built.

They're going to install some concrete blocks meant to act as artificial reefs. These will provide extra places for bottom dwelling plants and animals to live. They are adding the blocks because the building will extend into the water permanently, but also because they are going to use cofferdam construction for underground parking that will be below sea level. This means that for a while there will be a dam structure extending out from the waterfront and they will pump out the water so that they can work on dry land that used to be the harbour floor.

Blocks:
https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram...68426511_n.jpg

Here's the development (with residential portion highlighted in this rendering):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnqjTYhXgAAGemh.jpg:large

Source

Colin May Aug 13, 2016 2:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 7529188)
(Repost from the Canada section.)

Construction prep is starting for Queen's Marque in Halifax and they are doing some interesting work to preserve marine habitat while the new structure is built.

They're going to install some concrete blocks meant to act as artificial reefs. These will provide extra places for bottom dwelling plants and animals to live. They are adding the blocks because the building will extend into the water permanently, but also because they are going to use cofferdam construction for underground parking that will be below sea level. This means that for a while there will be a dam structure extending out from the waterfront and they will pump out the water so that they can work on dry land that used to be the harbour floor.

Blocks:
https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram...68426511_n.jpg

Here's the development (with residential portion highlighted in this rendering):

Source

The yellow building will be known as "The Bland"
Apparently climate change and sea level rise combined with a major fall storm is of little concern to Armour Group and WDC.

Keith P. Aug 13, 2016 1:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 7529188)

Source

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the fault of the artist who did these conceptions of the development, or maybe it's the design itself, but the look of this thing just has not impressed me from day one. It just seems bland and monolithic.

Colin May Aug 13, 2016 4:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 7529842)
Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the fault of the artist who did these conceptions of the development, or maybe it's the design itself, but the look of this thing just has not impressed me from day one. It just seems bland and monolithic.

Loudspeakers will be mounted prior to construction and workers and gawkers will be treated to a repetitive rendition of Pete Seeger 'Little Boxes'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlSpc87Jfr0

Drybrain Aug 13, 2016 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 7529842)

The majority opinion seems to be really excited about it, but I kinda feel the same. There are some great design elements, the but they feel subsumed by the overall bland massiveness, and the odd lack of symmetry from the harbour side. I'm hoping a new set of renderings will get me more excited, but I'm pretty meh so far.

someone123 Aug 13, 2016 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drybrain (Post 7529974)
The majority opinion seems to be really excited about it, but I kinda feel the same. There are some great design elements, the but they feel subsumed by the overall bland massiveness, and the odd lack of symmetry from the harbour side. I'm hoping a new set of renderings will get me more excited, but I'm pretty meh so far.

One issue with renderings is that they mostly look shiny and plastic, regardless of what the materials are supposed to be. There isn't much distinction in appearance between cheap precast panels or siding and nicer materials like copper and stone blocks. That difference really shows up in person though.

I think you can get away with a somewhat stark building like this if the quality of construction and materials is relatively good. That's what the developer is promising, and that's what a lot of existing MacKay Lyons-Sweetapple buildings are like (I have been hoping for a large, urban, non-institutional building from them for Halifax for a while). Hopefully the development lives up to that. Either way the style is not going to be for everybody but if the quality is good it will add some nice contrast.

Aside from the design I think it's also filling a big hole in the city. To take one example, it looks like the space around Lower Water Street and the narrow lane beside the museum is going to "work" again once this building goes in. The space between buildings is more what the city would have been like before the waterfront demolitions of the 1950's-70's.

http://media1.fdncms.com/thecoast/im...235/queen3.jpg

(Looking at this image, the projection also seems different from what you would see in person. It's exaggerating the scale of the building and the open spaces; that is good if you want to make something look impressive and monumental but it's not going to appeal to those who prefer "human-scaled buildings".)

worldlyhaligonian Aug 13, 2016 7:05 PM

Is the residential building literally called "The Bland"?

I like the starkness of that rendering. It has a very european look and interface with the area. I agree that if the materials are done well, it would be good.

Drybrain Aug 13, 2016 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 7529995)
Aside from the design I think it's also filling a big hole in the city. To take one example, it looks like the space around Lower Water Street and the narrow lane beside the museum is going to "work" again once this building goes in. The space between buildings is more what the city would have been like before the waterfront demolitions of the 1950's-70's.

http://media1.fdncms.com/thecoast/im...235/queen3.jpg

(Looking at this image, the projection also seems different from what you would see in person. It's exaggerating the scale of the building and the open spaces; that is good if you want to make something look impressive and monumental but it's not going to appeal to those who prefer "human-scaled buildings".)

Yeah, I really like the side facing Water Street--the size works here. It's only the harbour-facing portion I'm uncertain about...

teddifax Aug 13, 2016 9:58 PM

I really do hope the design gets a revamp. I am not a lover of it. I think they can do much better for such a Marquee site......

counterfactual Aug 14, 2016 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teddifax (Post 7530142)
I really do hope the design gets a revamp. I am not a lover of it. I think they can do much better for such a Marquee site......

I agree. The design should be fit for a.... Queen? :D

Colin May Aug 14, 2016 2:48 AM

Will it be built when Cogswell is being torn down ? Seems sensible to wait until Cogswell is closed and Lower Water is free from 60 foot truck trailer combos.

musicman Aug 14, 2016 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin May (Post 7530272)
Will it be built when Cogswell is being torn down ? Seems sensible to wait until Cogswell is closed and Lower Water is free from 60 foot truck trailer combos.

supposedly it is starting this fall sometime. We shall see.

MonctonRad Aug 14, 2016 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin May (Post 7530272)

How are these 60 foot trailers to escape the south end when the Cogswell is gone, or is the assumption that all container traffic will move out of Hal Term by rail?

Just wondering...........

I always hated those trucks in the downtown core. They seemed so incongruous.

MonctonRad Aug 14, 2016 1:19 PM

And if I may offer my own personal opinion on the Queen's Marque project:

The massing on Lower water Street doesn't bother me, but I have serious misgivings about the harbor facing portion of the project. It just doesn't seem to blend in well with the ambience of the remainder of the harbor front, and to my mind breaks up the character of the boardwalk way too much. I think they can do better...........