SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Skyscrapercity.com II (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108647)

coth Aug 27, 2006 8:31 PM

you guys should get rid of installing some crap systems like macos x... windows is currently best client system.

anyway, as was said you can find hosts file in /etc/ directory as on all other unix based systems.

Citrus-Fruit Aug 27, 2006 10:05 PM

I did everything, but it still doesnt work. Umm ... :shrug:

wjfox2004 Aug 27, 2006 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coth
crap systems like macos x

It's probably the most stable operating system ever invented.

wjfox2004 Aug 27, 2006 10:07 PM

To be honest I really don't care that SSC is down at the moment. I've been doing other more interesting and productive things over the last couple of days. :)

coth Aug 27, 2006 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjfox2004

lol. the most stable client system currently is windows xp. macos x is not even near, not talking about other linux and bsd systems...

wjfox2004 Aug 27, 2006 10:39 PM

"Mac OS X is not even near"

Get real. I've worked with OS X since 2002 and it's only crashed 2 or 3 times for me. The core of OS X is based around Unix anyway!

effer Aug 27, 2006 11:42 PM

Quote:

To be honest I really don't care that SSC is down at the moment. I've been doing other more interesting and productive things over the last couple of days. :)

Did you finish your sci-fi novel?

Englander Aug 27, 2006 11:45 PM

As most of Windows blue screens are down to third party drivers I think it's a bit harsh to say XP is bad. Traditionally mac OS knew the type of architecture it would run on better and they had less thrid party manufacturers.

Windows PC's have way more variety of people that make products for it and so more chance of bluescreens with less proficient code writers.

You could argue that the OS should cope with these bad programmers, however ther is not an accurate comparison between platforms.

Mac's tend to avoid having so many viruses but that's becasue virus writers don't have Macs and don't bother targeting them. However they are not without flaws.

UptownChiBoy Aug 28, 2006 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by effer
Did you finish your sci-fi novel?

http://cdn-90.cdn.buzznet.com/assets...thumb-3414.jpg

How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Huh? Gotta, gotta compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Gotta story brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? (voice getting higher pitched) Yea, talking about that 3 years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle, and end? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? At the end your main character is richer from the experience? Yeah? Yeah? (voice returns to normal) No, no, you deserve some time off.

http://www.familyguyquotes.com/images/stewie.gif

Dardani Aug 28, 2006 12:02 AM

Quote:

who the heck would want to waste their time trying to hack or make a virus for a mac.

Chicago Skyline Aug 28, 2006 2:31 AM

Quote:

"Mac OS X is not even near"

Get real. I've worked with OS X since 2002 and it's only crashed 2 or 3 times for me. The core of OS X is based around Unix anyway!

Ok, not to get care away here, but have you see any mission critical applications use mac os as host....:haha:
No, it is nowhere near most stable IMHO, because it has never been contested!:yes:

For server, Linux and BSD are the most stable ones and for Personal OS, Windows XP is gotta be the best, but Mac OS X is very close if it is able to handle same amount of applications!:tup:
Anyway, I am busy with both sites now!:cheers:

Nouvellecosse Aug 28, 2006 5:47 AM

Yay! It's back online!!

Now everybody stampede over there all at once and re-crash it. :P

CHapp Aug 28, 2006 6:53 AM

"www.skyscrapercity.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again."

Well, cheers!:cheers:

Stephan23 Aug 28, 2006 6:54 AM

It works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works,

Dziki REX Aug 28, 2006 7:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephan23
It works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works, it works,

No, it doesn't :D :koko: :slob:

smussuw Aug 28, 2006 7:50 AM

it does for me

coth Aug 28, 2006 7:51 AM

Just wait until your ISP update its DNS servers. Or as was said early just edit your hosts file.

Citrus-Fruit Aug 28, 2006 9:31 AM

Well. Its certainly not working for me, even if I change the host.

coth Aug 28, 2006 9:50 AM

they usually do it once per day. so wait some 12-16 hours. should work then.

malec Aug 28, 2006 10:07 AM

Well, that wait was for nothing. It's working now, this morning was fast but now is back to being as slow as ever