SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Obama Presidential Library (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208617)

LouisVanDerWright Jun 8, 2015 2:00 PM

Agree with Mr. DT on this. Washington Park is far superior in all respects. The real question is when do we find out more about this? Obama's term is ticking away, surely the planning process needs to begin soon if they even want to break ground at the end of his term.

nomarandlee Jun 8, 2015 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacktrgo921 (Post 7050122)
So out of curiosity, now that we know the Presidential Center will be in Chicago, which of the locations do you prefer? Jackson Park? Or Washington Park?

I think the overwhelming general consensus here is that the Washington Park sites is definitely superior.

That is not to say that the Jackson Park site isn't a very good site itself and has a lot of positives going for it (proximity to the Lake and MSI, good transportation network even if arguably not as good as the other site). If the Washington Park site didn't exist I would definitely be happy with the Jackson Park site but I still think it runs a distant second.

i_am_kyry Jun 9, 2015 1:15 AM

It was David Adjaye...in Washington Park...with the Library! (With the September announcement)

;)

marothisu Jun 22, 2015 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_am_kyry (Post 7055380)
It was David Adjaye...in Washington Park...with the Library! (With the September announcement)

;)

Is this real info?

sentinel Aug 26, 2015 5:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 7070916)
Is this real info?

I think that was a play on 'Clue'...

...anyhoo, here is the RFQ as posted by Crubed Chicago just now:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wpd-assets/b...ection_RFQ.pdf

ithakas Aug 26, 2015 5:43 PM

the Obama Foundation released some guidelines for its South Side Center; it appears as though the Library and Foundation offices will definitely be combined, which I don't believe we knew before:

http://www.barackobamafoundation.org...tect-selection

BVictor1 Aug 26, 2015 5:57 PM

http://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-...gos-obama-cent

Architect competition launched for Chicago's Obama Presidential Center

WRITTEN BY LYNN SWEET POSTED: 08/26/2015, 10:39AM

Quote:

Updated...WASHINGTON – The Barack Obama Foundation on Wednesday launched a competition to plan and design the Obama Presidential Center on Chicago’s South Side, inviting an undisclosed number of architectural firms to jump in the contest.

In a conference call, foundation chair Martin Nesbitt, and architecture expert Paul Goldberger, hired to advise the foundation, said while non-U.S. firms were solicited to bid, about 90 percent of the architects are with U.S. firms with the mix, Golberger said, “heavily weighed towards Chicago.

“The mix is heavily skewed towards American architects,” Nesbitt told reporters. Goldberger added, “I would think it’s at least 90 percent, I would guess.”

And of the U.S. firms, “yeah, it’s pretty skewed, you know, to Chicagoans,” Nesbitt said with city firms receiving a “disproportionate number” of invitations to bid.

Chicago is the home to a number of “starchitects” and large architectural firms.

The foundation released a document – called a “Request for Qualifications” – with details about the project, to be located either in Washington Park or Jackson Park.

BVictor1 Aug 26, 2015 5:59 PM

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-84290509/

Competition to design Obama library gives architect 'underdogs a chance'

Quote:

Blair Kamin, Dahleen Glanton
11:04 am, August 26, 2015
The foundation tasked with building the Barack Obama Presidential Center will cast a global net in its search for an architect, asking designers from the United States and overseas to compete for the prized Chicago commission, officials said Wednesday.

The officials on Wednesday issued a request for qualifications to architects who may vie for the project. It asked them to submit credentials, references and examples of work by Sept. 16. The number of firms receiving the request was not immediately known.

If a foreign architect wins the job of shaping the 44th president's library and museum, it would mark the first time a non-American has designed an American presidential library, historians said. While such a move could draw criticism from those who think such a prestigious project should go to Americans, it also would open the door to wider range of design ideas.

i_am_hydrogen Sep 1, 2015 9:22 PM

Obama Presidential Library

From http://www.architectmagazine.com/design/news-roundup_o

Quote:

Chicago Tribune architecture critic Blair Kamin says he has confirmed 11 of the firms that the Barack Obama Foundation targeted last week when it issued a request for qualifications for architects to design Chicago's Obama Presidential Center.
Quote:

They include: Ennead Architects, Robert A.M. Stern Architects, Renzo Piano Building Workshop, David Adjaye Associates, Ross Barney Architects, the Chicago office of Perkins+Will, Tigerman McCurry Architects, the San Francisco office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, Diller Scofidio + Renfro, The Freelon Group, and Helmut Jahn, FAIA. Although the foundation targeted these (and, likely, a few additional) firms, the competition is open to all and organizers have pledged to consider all submissions equally.

Steely Dan Sep 18, 2015 8:33 PM

Quote:

Crowded field of architects vie for Obama library
Blair Kamin
Chicago Tribune

One-hundred and forty architects from 25 countries have submitted qualifications for the plum job of designing the Obama Presidential Center in Chicago, a response that surprised the project's backers and will force a delay in the announcement of a winner.

In releasing the figures Friday, two days after qualifications were due, the Barack Obama Foundation revealed that the majority of the responding architects, 99, are U.S.-based and, of those, many are from Chicago, though it did not specify a number. The architects come from 60 cities.

"We are pleased to see such a high level of interest," the foundation's chairman, Martin Nesbitt, said in a statement. Yet the need to carefully review the responses will push back the selection of an architect, though it is unclear by how much, the foundation acknowledged. The selection of a winner was originally set for early next year.

"We are reviewing the process given the number of responses," a spokeswoman said.

Expected to cost at least $500 million, the presidential center will house a library and museum devoted to the Obama presidency. It is to be built in either Washington or Jackson parks on the South Side. Foundation officials have yet to determine if the winning architect will help select the site.
full article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...918-story.html

ChickeNES Dec 21, 2015 4:14 PM

The short list:
  • John Ronan Architects
  • David Adjaye
  • Renzo Piano
  • Diller Scofidio + Renfro
  • Tod Williams Billie Tsien
  • SHoP Architects
  • Snøhetta

sentinel Dec 22, 2015 2:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickeNES (Post 7276929)
The short list:
  • John Ronan Architects
  • David Adjaye
  • Renzo Piano
  • Diller Scofidio + Renfro
  • Tod Williams Billie Tsien
  • SHoP Architects
  • Snøhetta

Pretty great list, with a lot of high-quality talent.

Rail>Auto Dec 22, 2015 8:21 AM

Can't wait til some proposals start rolling out.

Whoever designed the circle building in the shape of his logo is the one that should win.

Notyrview Dec 22, 2015 3:21 PM

Not another Renzo Piano piece. I really like his work here, but something new would be a good thing for the city. Why not Norman Foster??? Please.

emathias Dec 22, 2015 4:26 PM

I think I'd root for Diller Scofidio + Renfro

Coldrsx Dec 22, 2015 8:12 PM

Snøhetta all the way!

LouisVanDerWright Dec 22, 2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 7277961)
Not another Renzo Piano piece. I really like his work here, but something new would be a good thing for the city. Why not Norman Foster??? Please.

We are getting a foster downtown as we speak!

Any one of these firms is plenty capable, but I don't want another Piano. I would root for the home team but looks like our boy Ronan already has a nice commission just down the street. As long as its not Renzo, I'm thrilled.

ardecila Dec 22, 2015 11:33 PM

Yeah, I feel like Ronan has not really gotten the chance to shine on a large prestige project yet but I'd love to see it go to a hometown hero.

BArring that, Tod Williams Billie Tsien would be my 2nd choice. Their architecture is beautiful and allows for hundreds or thousands of unique moments. The only downside is that it's not very adaptable to new or changing uses (see the American Folk Art Museum debacle).

Randomguy34 Dec 22, 2015 11:43 PM

I'm surprised no one here has expressed love for David Adjaye

untitledreality Dec 23, 2015 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7278576)
Yeah, I feel like Ronan has not really gotten the chance to shine on a large prestige project yet but I'd love to see it go to a hometown hero.

Barring that, Tod Williams Billie Tsien would be my 2nd choice. Their architecture is beautiful and allows for hundreds or thousands of unique moments.

+1

But really, I would be fine with anyone of these seven other than Adjaye and SHoP.