SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

spoonman Jun 30, 2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtell04 (Post 7080798)
http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/...?m=y&smobile=y
Does anyone know why the sign needs to be lit up in red neon?!!
No wonder this shit goes over budget.

Probably because the sign is a piece of history and there are few like it downtown.

This is not directed at you, but I find it amusing when people get mad about tax dollars being spent on tangible things, when so much is pissed away behind the scenes with nothing to show for it.

dtell04 Jul 1, 2015 6:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7080926)
Probably because the sign is a piece of history and there are few like it downtown.

This is not directed at you, but I find it amusing when people get mad about tax dollars being spent on tangible things, when so much is pissed away behind the scenes with nothing to show for it.

I live a few blocks away. It didn't have lights on it to begin with. Refurbish fine, but stop there.
That might be why I'm always pissed then! Haha good observation.

Leo the Dog Jul 1, 2015 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7079974)
Oceanside is really starting to step up and is filling in nicely. How many people can Viejas seat for a concert I know its 11,500 for basketball. Oracle Arena in Oakland was basically the same size as ours and then they added in luxury suites and more seats not sure if that could be done here, obviously the concourses are atrocious. Kansas City has an arena that is gorgeous downtown and of course Seattle will be the next city to get an NBA team also talks of Phoenix Coyotes possibly moving to SEA.

The Phoenix development forum was discussing the idea of a new Suns/Coyotes arena being built, possibly in Tempe. I guess the Suns are considering moving out of their DT arena which opened in 1992. The coyotes struck a deal with Glendale, AZ and got stuck in a bad situation by a failing mega-development that never came close to its economic projections to the city of Glendale. With that said, their arena (2006) is great.

Northparkwizard Jul 1, 2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dales5050 (Post 7080014)
There is very little support for both basketball and hockey in the region.

Aztec Basketball games have had their entire seasons sold out for I think the last 5 years. 12,000+ tickets per game. So, i'd say you're wrong at least on that point.

SDfan Jul 2, 2015 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 7082037)
Aztec Basketball games have had their entire seasons sold out for I think the last 5 years. 12,000+ tickets per game. So, i'd say you're wrong at least on that point.

True, but counterpoint: a significant amount of those tickets are given away to the student body for free.

spoonman Jul 2, 2015 4:13 AM

Quote:

Also there is huge support for the return of the Gulls to San Diego.

Northparkwizard Jul 2, 2015 4:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7082083)
True, but counterpoint: a significant amount of those tickets are given away to the student body for free.

It's a 2,500-seat SDSU student section. If there were 2,500-5,000 more seats they'd be sold out too, to the folks on the waiting list. So yes, there's a ton of support for basketball in the region. But those are just facts not conjecture.

Insert laughing thingy.

Northparkwizard Jul 2, 2015 4:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7082324)
Also there is huge support for the return of the Gulls to San Diego.

You're right.

SDfan Jul 2, 2015 7:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 7082336)
It's a 2,500-seat SDSU student section. If there were 2,500-5,000 more seats they'd be sold out too, to the folks on the waiting list. So yes, there's a ton of support for basketball in the region. But those are just facts not conjecture.

Insert laughing thingy.

You mean:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

That's me laughing at the idea of our region putting forth the effort to lure an NBA team. I hope you're not on the waiting list too long. :haha:

JPAztec Jul 2, 2015 1:40 PM

[QUOTE=SDfan;7082396]You mean:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

That's me laughing at the idea of our region putting forth the effort to lure an NBA team. I hope you're not on the waiting list too long. :haha

I'll have to agree with SDFAN on this one. The reason that the Aztec games sell out every year is A) They're good, B) the student section is outstanding and creates a terrific atmosphere, C) there is school pride and alumni tradition involved.

An NBA team would draw fan support for a couple of seasons based on it being fresh and new and something shiny to look at. If the team sucked, fan support would dwindle in a heart beat, because nobody would want to sit indoors to watch a crummy team. There are too many other outdoor activities in town that have much more of a draw then a bottom feeding pro team.

I love the idea of massively overhauling, or replacing the dumpy sports arena, but it would have to have a legitimate plan to get 125-150 events a year out of it. I'm a supporter of new sports facilities in this city mostly because major events can draw a TON of revenue, but also, the current sites are a black eye on a city that has truly grown up in the past 15 years, and our public venues that appear on national TV multiple times a year need to reflect that.

When CBS airs the blimp shot for Charger games, and they pan from Coronado to downtown, over Mission Hills, and finally down to Qualcomm, I say wow what a beautiful beach, beautiful city, amazing topography and architecture, and wo......holy buckets that place is a dump. Very few on this board seem to realize the amount of advertising those 3 hours get our city. You have families in Green Bay, and Buffalo, and Cleveland, and Detroit, and basically anywhere outside of FL an AZ, watching football in December hearing the announcer say "a beautiful and sunny 75 degrees in SD at kickoff", and practically booking a trip that day. That sort of branding can't be understated, and this city certainly has something to offer that most places don't. It would be a shame to lose what little bit of national advertising we get, on top of losing a major league franchise. Lose/lose in the opinion of this NATIVE San Diegan.

dales5050 Jul 2, 2015 1:52 PM

Quote:

NCAA ≠ NBA

The lowest avg ticket price for the NBA is $30.20 and without playoffs it's 41 home games a year. For SDSU, you can get season tickets in the cheap seats for $150 or about $10 a game.

So not only are you going to need to find about 8,000 more fans, they will need to be willing to pay at least 3x more per game and go to twice as many games.

NCAA ≠ NBA

Northparkwizard Jul 2, 2015 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dales5050 (Post 7082506)
NCAA ≠ NBA

The lowest avg ticket price for the NBA is $30.20 and without playoffs it's 41 home games a year. For SDSU, you can get season tickets in the cheap seats for $150 or about $10 a game.

So not only are you going to need to find about 8,000 more fans, they will need to be willing to pay at least 3x more per game and go to twice as many games.

NCAA ≠ NBA

When did I mention the NBA? I didn't.

You said there wasn't any interest in Basketball in the region. I pointed out that SDSU sells out every game and there's a waiting list.

Your attacking the Straw Man.

SDfan Jul 2, 2015 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 7082605)

You said there wasn't any interest in Basketball in the region. I pointed out that SDSU sells out every game and there's a waiting list.

Oh, way to try and save face Northpark. Lol. What else could you have been talking about? The WNBA? Another college team?

Come to think of it, is there minor league basketball?

Don't get me wrong though, I would love it if San Diego could build a new area, or at least redevelop the current sports arena. But like the airport, community planning, and transportation, I have little faith in this city moving forward substantially.

ucsbgaucho Jul 2, 2015 5:45 PM

San Diego would be good for an NHL team, probably not as much an NBA team. Though I think either could fare well here, depending on who the owner is. NBA is great because the stars are spread out and small-market teams like OKC can have the best players in the league, it's no longer a league that needs LA and NY to be dominant. Plus, you're getting a big star pretty much every game, and the number of games is manageable. But SD has had a good long history with hockey, it's a fall-winter-spring sport instead of summer so you have don't have as much competition for "activities" that people could be doing like you do with baseball in the summer. And NHL does really well in small markets.

I don't think SD could financially support all four leagues, and I think the MLS would REALLY do well here. San Diego is always a Top-5 market in TV viewership for all World Cups, and often #1. An MLS stadium doesn't cost a lot (relatively speaking), doesn't need a big footprint, and if the Chargers do leave, I could seriously see a 40,000-seat stadium built jointly by SDSU and an MLS franchise in the near future, as SDSU won't be able to keep the Q going for much longer by itself.

I could see MLS and NHL here and successful. MLS and SDSU could join together and you could put an arena on the same grounds where the Q is now, and have plenty of room for additional development.

timpdx Jul 2, 2015 6:24 PM

Just saw this news: Comic Con is committed to staying in San Diego through 2018

Streamliner Jul 2, 2015 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timpdx (Post 7082913)
Just saw this news: Comic Con is committed to staying in San Diego through 2018

Here's an article:

Comic-Con to stay in San Diego through 2018

Quote:

Comic-Con is here to stay, at least through 2018, under a two-year deal announced Thursday by San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer.

The new agreement between the city and Comic-Con International follows months of back-and-forth negotiations that hinged on the willingness of dozens of local hotels to hold the line on their room rates, which tend to soar when the always sold-out convention is in town.

The pop culture confab, which will get under way next week, is under contract to remain in San Diego through next year. The city has been trying since last year to secure a commitment from organizers to remain in San Diego for 2017 and 2018, despite a failed effort to expand the city's bayfront convention center. So important is the Con to the city that the mayor intervened in negotiations to persuade hotels to meet Comic-Con's request that they keep their room rates affordably priced.
Link to the article:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...-through-2018/

Also interesting: the Union-Tribune website changed, and they got rid of the "U-T San Diego" brand completely.

dales5050 Jul 2, 2015 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 7082605)

Words matter. As does reading reading comprehension. Clearly you have trouble with both.

When discussing the ability to land an NBA team I said there is very little support for both basketball and hockey in the region. You responded to that with a weak argument about how SDSU sells out.

So either you commented on something you didn't understand or you just don't like being proven wrong.

The NBA is considering cities like Louisville and Seattle. In Louisville, basketball is a part of the culture. In Seattle, they already had a team and there is a built in fan base. The reasons why the Sonics left had nothing to do with fan support.

Considering this, how SDSU sells out means jack.

Northparkwizard Jul 2, 2015 8:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7082718)
Oh, way to try and save face Northpark. Lol. What else could you have been talking about? The WNBA? Another college team?

Come to think of it, is there minor league basketball?

Don't get me wrong though, I would love it if San Diego could build a new area, or at least redevelop the current sports arena. But like the airport, community planning, and transportation, I have little faith in this city moving forward substantially.

Save face? I never mentioned the NBA and that's obvious. Simply stating that our NCAA Division I Basketball team enjoys tremendous support. Nothing more.

:koko:

Northparkwizard Jul 2, 2015 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dales5050 (Post 7082986)
Words matter. As does reading reading comprehension. Clearly you have trouble with both.

When discussing the ability to land an NBA team I said there is very little support for both basketball and hockey in the region. You responded to that with a weak argument about how SDSU sells out.

So either you commented on something you didn't understand or you just don't like being proven wrong.

The NBA is considering cities like Louisville and Seattle. In Louisville, basketball is a part of the culture. In Seattle, they already had a team and there is a built in fan base. The reasons why the Sonics left had nothing to do with fan support.

Considering this, how SDSU sells out means jack.

I guess we disagree. Oh well.

Nerv Jul 2, 2015 8:41 PM

You could debate the level of interest for the NBA and NHL in supporting a team in San Diego until you drop.

Since we have neither it's down to someone's opinion and not facts. The people making that call are probably not posting on these boards. Since there has been some minor talk over the years of getting both for San Diego someone who has a better understanding of the real possible interest has thought enough to make even a suggestion of it happening.

We have zero history to judge NHL interest here. NBA? Oh yeah, the Rockets started here in the late 60's and the Clippers passed by for four years between starting in Buffalo and ending up in LA. Both teams were awful when they played in SD some 35-45 years ago!

I have no idea myself if the city would support either sport at a pro level and without facts I'll stick to that for now.

I will say to get either sport here you will need a new arena along with a perfect storm of things coming together like a team wanting to move here or an owner with a group with a real plan to make it happen. This isn't a city effort of trying to build a new arena and get teams but an owner and group wanting to move here with a plan to build a new arena.

So will it ever happen? Who knows? Maybe.

I said before I'm curious to see how a new Gulls team in the AHL draws here first.

I also think for the near future with the Chargers now leaving (probably) the idea of San Diego State having to scramble over the next couple of years to figure out how to build a new smaller stadium (their clock will be ticking at the Q) that the suggestion of getting it done with a MLS team moving here (that's actually possible) sounds pretty good.

That's years away from happening but at least there's some hope on that front. With NBA or NHL we are going to have to wait for something to come our way first.