SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mountain West (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   DENVER | Transportation Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150276)

sashyenka Jun 9, 2009 10:18 PM

I think we understand that, however he's pretty much doing what SnyderBock said in posting what amounts to the same thing over and over again in slightly different wording. It's very troll-like.

SnyderBock Jun 10, 2009 12:19 AM

It's misinformation...
subways do not cost $2-$3 billion a mile to construct in today's dollars and nothing I have read indicates they will cost $5-$10 billion a mile to construct in the year 2030.

In today's dollars, subway will cost under $1 billion per mile and most likely around $800 million per mile. There is no way that inflates to $5-$10 billion per mile by the year 2030.

His post is all based on the concept that Union Station cannot function efficiently as a stub-end station, when dozens of the most efficient train stations world wide function as sub-end stations.

No offense, but the tone, comments and timing of this post corresponding with the lawsuit on RTD regarding this very issue seems to point in the dirrection of this poster being nothing more than someone pushing this special interest group's propaganda campaign to sway public opinion in their favor in hopes to extending the amount of time their lawsuit against RTD takes to resolve.

It seems to me to be nothing more than a special interest group's propaganda machine and they are using this message board to wage it.

bcp Jun 10, 2009 12:27 AM

dont we all push our own special agenda? it's no differnet than posting that same nextracks concept multiple times or calling for a subway (which will probably never happen, elevated is more likely).

my point remains the same that jumping on somebody is a bit much when they are just putting their ideas out there...in that regard, i agree that the station IS quite limited when it doesnt plan for through station capability (somethign some of us have been saying for a long time).

just saying that it will be on the CML in the future is very different than tying up the ROW. furthermore, a lot of long distance trains would have a TERRIBLE time makign the near-90 degree turns that would be required to get from DUS to the CML and then head south

SnyderBock Jun 10, 2009 12:33 AM

They wouldn't come into DUS, they would come in along the CML. Somewhere in the River North area, they woudl cross over to the CML alignment. Their platform would be between the Light Rail platforms and the CML tracks. They will not come into the commuter rail terminal. they will come into the light rail terminal.

Octavian Jun 10, 2009 1:02 AM

My 2 cents on the matter, I agree with bcp.

On the subject of the train station, it's hard to see how they will put a four track station at the CML. We may eventually get a new station elsewhere, and trains going southbound may have to go north before going south.

But hey, could be worse. Look at our competition for Grand Central West. They've got all our problems! Lawsuits, stimulus dollars, a stub hub. Even though it doesn't pertain to Denver, it's an interesting read, and the technical requirements are applicable to either any future station in Denver, or any expansion at Union Station.

SnyderBock Jun 10, 2009 8:58 AM

I don't see them needing a 4-track station for regional service which will have far less frequent service than local service. But if they do, I see no reason they can't bring in 2 tracks at-grade along the CML and 2 more tracks elevated directly above those. There is also a strong possibility HSR would come after freight service was relocated to new tracks out east, which could free up space for all 4-tracks at-grade.

Octavian Jun 10, 2009 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnyderBock (Post 4297931)
I don't see them needing a 4-track station for regional service which will have far less frequent service than local service. But if they do, I see no reason they can't bring in 2 tracks at-grade along the CML and 2 more tracks elevated directly above those. There is also a strong possibility HSR would come after freight service was relocated to new tracks out east, which could free up space for all 4-tracks at-grade.

In their slides, the RMRA studies the logistics of expanding capacity to four tracks from Littleton to Union Station. But because of RTD's problems with the railroads, many would prefer not to involve them at all. Sharing tracks and corridors with freight railroads means a host of federal regulations. If the tracks were relocated to the east, there would still be 13 freight trains a day would still use the CML according to the CDOT study (local traffic).

SnyderBock Jun 10, 2009 7:56 PM

Well, how about east-west HSR trains sharing the station at ~40th/40th street where the central corridor LRT end of line station will be sharing a stop with the east corridor EMU? So the HSR line from DIA would stop there instead of Union Station.

Or even better yet, don't build the HSR line to DIA at all. Since DIA will already be served by RTD EMU service, passengers will be able to get to Union Station via train without HSR. The HSR could all start from Union Station and go south, north and then a branch from teh north line could go west.

DENrising Jun 10, 2009 11:58 PM

Yeah, I can't figure out why they didn't use Rio Grande for the Central Station. It's stupid really. It would have created a whole new LoDo SLC with the Gateway just a block away. Central Station is just not central. I think most people on the TRAX get off at Planetarium now.

I know you aren't a fan of TRAX! Denver's Union Station is poised for greatness, as it already has the walkable and thriving Lodo at it's doorstep.

Octavian Jun 11, 2009 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnyderBock (Post 4298733)
Well, how about east-west HSR trains sharing the station at ~40th/40th street where the central corridor LRT end of line station will be sharing a stop with the east corridor EMU? So the HSR line from DIA would stop there instead of Union Station.

Or even better yet, don't build the HSR line to DIA at all. Since DIA will already be served by RTD EMU service, passengers will be able to get to Union Station via train without HSR. The HSR could all start from Union Station and go south, north and then a branch from teh north line could go west.

The East Corridor is certainly one possibility.

An important element for everyone outside of Denver is that the train provide a one stop ride to DIA, since DIA is projected to generate the highest ridership statewide.

Octavian Jun 12, 2009 1:51 AM

New Rocky Mountain Rail Authority slides.

Lorax3000 Jun 12, 2009 3:55 AM

so what type of train are they using? Please let it be maglev!

SnyderBock Jun 13, 2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Octavian (Post 4299604)
The East Corridor is certainly one possibility.

An important element for everyone outside of Denver is that the train provide a one stop ride to DIA, since DIA is projected to generate the highest ridership statewide.

As long as the other corridors provided one stop service to Union Station, I see no issue with them having to transfer to an RTD EMU train to DIA. That's what Union Station is for anyway.

Loraxx, no it's not going to be mag-lev... Read the report, they posted the link above. All kinds of interesting stuff; it's a very good read.

AFPhoto Wolf Jun 18, 2009 4:13 PM

I heard a rumor that the West Corridor is getting the “Notice to proceed on FULL construction” this week !!! Is this true?

cadetwhite Jun 18, 2009 7:00 PM

Wow, I certainly hope so. After all this talk about Fastracks it would be nice to see some actual tracks go down.

EngiNerd Jun 18, 2009 7:04 PM

Yes, I have heard the same thing. Also, the Gold and East lines are going to bid within the next couple weeks. They are basically being combined into one bid since they will be using the Same EMU trains for both.

Octavian Jun 18, 2009 7:33 PM

The Obama Administration wants to delay the transportation bill for 18 months. RTD was counting on an appropriation in that bill to help finance the East and Gold Corridors.

AFPhoto Wolf Jun 18, 2009 8:14 PM

well i live about 2 blocks up from Garrison and 1 over from 13th.... we have crews working on moving lines underground but they have been doing that for about a year now.... I cant wait to have this job start. being in the Military i ride for free!!! and only have to walk a few blocks to get to a station!!!!

Eliyah78 Jun 19, 2009 3:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFPhoto Wolf (Post 4313542)
I heard a rumor that the West Corridor is getting the “Notice to proceed on FULL construction” this week !!! Is this true?

Yes, according to the West Corridor newsletter.

http://rtd-fastracks.com/media/uploa...Newsletter.pdf

Eliyah78 Jun 19, 2009 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnyderBock (Post 4297931)

Snyder, you can't discount the bottom line which is that far too many design elements were left out of the plan. It is likely that within 2 years the Amtrack's Pioneer will again provide regular service between Denver and Seattle. Also, a service study is underway for the Southwest Chief, which is another likely scenario. And how about the Rail Runner? Recently the state of NM purchased ROW property from Santa Fe all the way north to the Colorado border for proposed commuter rail service from Albuquerque to Denver. How about the room needed for commuter bus service?