SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

mongoXZ Aug 12, 2011 9:34 PM

Los Angeles Bills. You heard it here first!

HurricaneHugo Aug 12, 2011 10:12 PM

Like I said before, I fully believe Spanos will at least put a ballot measure in Nov. 2012 and if that fails then he'll bolt to LA.

Hopefully by then the LA stadium is dead or some other team(s) decided to move there.

Quixote Aug 13, 2011 4:50 AM

^ The former isn't going to happen. Farmers Field is pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point (it's been so for a long time); the only thing left is for a team to commit. If AEG's deal with the city falls through for whatever reason, there's still Ed Roski's proposal in the City of Industry to fall back on. But it's too good of a deal for the city to pass up.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but the EIR is expected to be done by the Spring of next year; Leiweke hopes to break ground on June 1st. So, it might be too little too late by then. Ideally though, Spanos would give SD one last chance before deciding to leave. Hopefully the Rams are here by then, as that has always been my preference.

Lipani Aug 15, 2011 2:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5377601)
Like I said before, I fully believe Spanos will at least put a ballot measure in Nov. 2012 and if that fails then he'll bolt to LA.

Unfortunately we won't know if we last that long until after the off-season. The Chargers have until what? June of each year to terminate their lease? That's a long time to wait out considering that AEG will probably start construction on their stadium in Downtown LA next year.

Let's hope the legislature doesn't get bought off again like they were with Roski's deal to avoid state environmental laws. Ah, that's right... We're in California... I wonder where this is going? :haha:

SDfan Aug 15, 2011 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 5377384)
The notion that SD can't afford an NFL team would be depressing.

We can,t even afford basic services, let alone an NFL team, haha. That is depressing!

HurricaneHugo Aug 16, 2011 10:48 PM

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...stadium-ideas/

Sanders planning US tour of stadiums.

Quote:

In his strongest show of support yet for building the Chargers a new football stadium, San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders and three advisers will leave Wednesday for a three-day nationwide tour of downtown sports and entertainment districts to get ideas for what might work locally.

They'll visit Indianapolis, Kansas City, Mo., and Denver.

"The mayor doesn't want to make any decision in a vacuum," aide Darren Pudgil said. "He wants to see what other cities have done to see whether they've succeeded and where they may have failed. There's no need to reinvent the wheel if there are concepts out there that we think may benefit San Diego."

Derek Aug 17, 2011 4:18 AM

I think Seattle would be a good place to visit, but that's just me. :eek:

ucsbgaucho Aug 17, 2011 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 5381356)
I think Seattle would be a good place to visit, but that's just me. :eek:

Seattle's the best example and closest to our situation... sort-of rundown area of downtown, new baseball stadium was built, that area was transformed with new restaurants and clubs, and a few years later a new football stadium essentially next door. But maybe these other cities have the basketball arena component, which is an idea that should be explored here along with the Chargers stadium. Building a multi-purpose indoor arena with the football stadium should be considered for sure. NCAA tournaments, more concerts, etc. And potential NBA or NHL team.

mello Aug 17, 2011 8:12 PM

^^^ Exactly look at LA they have the Nokia Theatre and Staples center and Disney Concert Hall. Our downtown needs at least one quality new venue comparable to those 3.

mongoXZ Aug 18, 2011 4:49 AM

:dancing:

San Diego's first step towards street-car glory

Quote:

Vintage trolley rolling out; 1949 all over again
http://media.signonsandiego.com/img/...053cbc530c46a8

Starting on Thursday, it will be 1949 all over again.

Tomorrow morning at 11 a.m., the Metropolitan Transit System will take the wraps off its painstakingly and lovingly restored 1949 streetcar, old PCC 529.

1949 also happens to be the year when San Diego abandoned its extensive trolley network in favor of launching a modern bus system.

The kelly green, plum and crème colored Art Deco vehicle which once operated on the streets of San Francisco is one of five that the MTS has in its possession. For six years, volunteers and rail experts have spent more than 3,000 hours and $850,000 to meticulously restore the vintage Trolley.

PCC 529 will operate on weekends and certain holidays starting Aug. 27 on a special downtown circuit called the Silver Line, a clockwise loop starting at the 12th & Imperial Transit Station and running to America Plaza, east on C Street to City College before returning to 12th & Imperial.

The car may look stylishly old but it has been completely retrofitted to conform with modern requirements and technology. The fare, however, will harken back to an earlier time: $2, and $1 for seniors. Cash only.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...begins-aug-27/

OneMetropolis Aug 19, 2011 2:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChargerFan (Post 5377338)
Fat chance. Los Angeles has repeatedly failed to acquire the Chargers or any other team in the NFL. You may get a team some day but it sure as hell wont be our Chargers.

are you sure about that? The reason that AEG hasn't made a move yet was because the NFL lockout so yeah its a matter of time.

kpexpress Aug 23, 2011 8:29 AM

anyone hear about the Greyhound moving to a temporary facility in the East Village. Does this mean that Sofia Hotel phase 2 is ready to go?

SDfan Aug 23, 2011 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5387480)
anyone hear about the Greyhound moving to a temporary facility in the East Village. Does this mean that Sofia Hotel phase 2 is ready to go?

There's a phase two? Wha??

SD_Phil Aug 24, 2011 2:04 AM

Anyone know what's up with the eyesore on 6th and redwood? It's sat unfinished for years and yet I walked by today and there's a new fence around it, a trailer/office on site and what is clearly some new cement. Is this FINALLY going to see the light of the day?

tyleraf Aug 24, 2011 5:07 PM

I just drove by it last week and was wondering the same thing.

HurricaneHugo Aug 25, 2011 5:43 AM

Went to Hoffman's retirement celebration on Sunday.

Where the hell did this building come from lol

http://i.imgur.com/EPLCD.jpg?6167

brantw Aug 25, 2011 6:45 AM

I'm pretty sure that's the new Father Joe's Village building.

kpexpress Aug 25, 2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5390194)
Went to Hoffman's retirement celebration on Sunday.

Where the hell did this building come from lol

http://i.imgur.com/EPLCD.jpg?6167

Father Joes. I'm touring it in two weeks. I think it's a huge missed opportunity, has anyone seen the view down Logan Ave toward downtown? This building acts as a focal point at the end of Logan right where Commercial and 16th Ave meet. The fact that, from the Barrio, you're looking downhill directly into this building it had an amazing opportunity to be a prominent feature and act as a landmark or a gateway into Downtown. I like the color scheme though, but it could've benefitted from some shading strategy on the South and West facades for performance and visual intrigue.

HurricaneHugo Aug 25, 2011 7:33 PM

You know, a nice stadium would look great right there!

Urbanize_It Aug 25, 2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly (Post 5365655)
ALSO, HOW CAN WE START AN EMAIL CAMPAIGN TO GET A TARGET IN THE OLD BORDERS BUILDING AND A TRADER JOES IN THE BRICK BUILDING ACROSS FORM PETCO (WHERE FRESH AND EASY WAS GOING TO GO)

I think it will be big enough, since the commercial spaces next to the Borders Building are also vacant. There is plenty of parking too with Horton and Park it on Market and there is a loading dock. We need a Target downtown, I am tired of going to Mission valley.

The Trader Joes would kill it on J st. and there is a parking lot across the street that they can set up a one hour deal or something there. Baseball fans could run in right b4 the game and get food too. Have the garage doors open, so the place is open and airy, would be soooo cool! Lets make downtown for residences too, not just tourists!

I would prefer a BevMo in that location! : )