SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Leo the Dog Jul 25, 2011 3:15 AM

^^^The 5 looks like a nice flowing river through downtown in the model.

patriotizzy Jul 25, 2011 5:02 AM

^^^ Ugly building.

mello Jul 25, 2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5355988)
I thought I heard them say 400' tall. I hope it's not shorter than that. Somewhere between 350'-400' would be acceptable, and hope they don't chop off three floors like they did with the federal courthouse.

Not 3 floors try 10. Remember when it was first announced and approved it was for 26 floors now it is only 16 right? Good work SOM :cheers:

Lipani Jul 26, 2011 4:07 AM

Not too much news regarding a new Chargers stadium, but the lockout brought about one decent tidbit. From the San Diego Union-Tribune:

Quote:

Chargers’ special counsel Mark Fabiani Monday said a new labor agreement means the league may resume loaning $100 million or more to help individual teams build a new stadium, but he stressed the money won’t be limitless.

“It’s a huge victory for new stadium efforts in San Diego and elsewhere that the players and owners agreed on a credit system and the next step will be the NFL discussing, and we hope instituting, a new loan program,” Fabiani said. “That will give the Chargers at least as much as if not more than we would have been entitled to under the old program.”

He added: “Like the old program, the new program won’t be funded with unlimited amounts of money, and it will be first-come, first-served.”

Under the now-defunct NFL stadium loan program, the Chargers expected the league to give it about $100 million toward construction, Fabiani said.

He declined to speculate on how much money the team might obtain from the league under a new deal or when owners might consider the issue of creating a new stadium construction loan program.

A $100 million league loan would cover about an eighth of the cost of building a stadium east of Petco Park that the Chargers estimate will cost $800 million. How and whether to finance the rest of it, especially in a bad economy, is an open question for Chargers fans and taxpayers alike.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...adium-efforts/

mongoXZ Jul 28, 2011 2:18 AM

:cheers::D
Quote:

Horton Plaza park expansion design selected
Cabrillo Theater inspired shape of proposed amphitheater
Written by Roger Showley 3:49 p.m., July 27, 2011

Redevelopment leaders endorsed Wednesday an $8.5 million design that will transform historic Horton Plaza park into one of the city’s largest gathering spaces.

Under a plan due for the final go-ahead in September, the tiny park at Fourth Avenue and Broadway, first established in 1870 by downtown founder Alonzo Horton, would be restored and expanded over the next two years.

An amphitheater that could hold 25,000 concert goers, movie fans and big-event audiences, would be built south of the park and be the site of farmer’s markets, book fairs and informal gatherings 200 times a year, starting with a hoped-for New Year’s Eve dedication on Dec. 31, 2013.

“The schedule is aggressive and you’ve made a lot of progress,” said Kim Kilkenny, chairman of the Centre City Development Corp. board, during a review with the Portland, Ore., design team headed by landscape architect Douglas Macy.

Macy said the 1.2-acre space, nearly four times the size of the present park, will be “transformative in the identity of the core of the city.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...sign-selected/

http://media.signonsandiego.com/img/...053cbc530c46a8

http://media.signonsandiego.com/img/...c82dae770b93ac

tyleraf Jul 28, 2011 4:44 PM

It is nice to see the horton plaza project moving along quickly. It also seems 15th and Island will be approved soon as well. Nice to see some new projects in downtown after a few years of nothing. Also as the NEVP moves forward discussions are reopening on the Lane Field project. http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblog...or-lane-field/

laguna Jul 29, 2011 4:53 AM

Unless the city can figure out how to clean out the vagrants, it will soon be overwhelmed by them, as this area is now.

kpexpress Jul 29, 2011 9:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 5361274)
:cheers::D

I attended this meeting, it was great. Still I am amazed at some of the dumb and meticulous comments that some members of the public make. Why does this city hate public restrooms so bad? A developer could come in and propose an amazing and iconic observatory needle of some sick kind and people will hate it if it has a public restroom in it. Amazing.

kpexpress Jul 29, 2011 9:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 5361809)
It is nice to see the horton plaza project moving along quickly. It also seems 15th and Island will be approved soon as well. Nice to see some new projects in downtown after a few years of nothing. Also as the NEVP moves forward discussions are reopening on the Lane Field project. http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblog...or-lane-field/

RE: 15th and Island: Our committee (CCAC) was totally disappointed that the developer did not incorporate a single change suggestion that came out of our predesign review subcommittee, we approved it with conditions to come back at 50% design development for review. I really think a few changes are still necessary with it in order for it to be more successful and less massive and austere.

Grumbo Griel Jul 29, 2011 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5362793)
RE: 15th and Island: Our committee (CCAC) was totally disappointed that the developer did not incorporate a single change suggestion that came out of our predesign review subcommittee, we approved it with conditions to come back at 50% design development for review. I really think a few changes are still necessary with it in order for it to be more successful and less massive and austere.

Kpexpress, I don't have much sense of how these things work, but I'm pretty curious about 15th and Island. Is this project at a stage where we can say it will definitely be built? So many projects have died in the last few years that I can't quite wrap my mind around such a huge project going forward, especially in such a non-prime spot...

kpexpress Jul 30, 2011 7:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumbo Griel (Post 5363087)
Kpexpress, I don't have much sense of how these things work, but I'm pretty curious about 15th and Island. Is this project at a stage where we can say it will definitely be built? So many projects have died in the last few years that I can't quite wrap my mind around such a huge project going forward, especially in such a non-prime spot...

The project will be built in two phases starting with the Yellow tower first. I feel what you're saying with being doubtful on any of these projects getting built, but the developer on this project has entered into an agreement to build the park on the site as well and that makes me feel that this one will be getting built.

tyleraf Jul 31, 2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5363926)
The project will be built in two phases starting with the Yellow tower first. I feel what you're saying with being doubtful on any of these projects getting built, but the developer on this project has entered into an agreement to build the park on the site as well and that makes me feel that this one will be getting built.

Well that is good news it is about time San Diego gets a new tallest building.

kpexpress Jul 31, 2011 3:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 5364352)
Well that is good news it is about time San Diego gets a new tallest building.

Won't be new tallest. And I'm not sure if that portion of the city is a good place to have a 480+' high-rise, and two of them within 60' of each other. Don't get me wrong, I love high-rises and density, but got to question what a village should really be like.

spoonman Jul 31, 2011 4:50 PM

What changes to the building were you and CCAC hoping to see?

S.DviaPhilly Jul 31, 2011 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5364449)
Won't be new tallest. And I'm not sure if that portion of the city is a good place to have a 480+' high-rise, and two of them within 60' of each other. Don't get me wrong, I love high-rises and density, but got to question what a village should really be like.

I thought these towers will be the tallest buildings downtown since both of them will be over 500'. I LOVE this project because high density projects in East Village will make that whole area so much more vibrant. I feel for the homeless, but I am getting tired of the drug deals and crime that my area has. The only place to buildout downtown is by moving east and when these tall buildings get built in EV the skyline will look amazing! In regards to a village, there shouldnt be any downtown...build tall and then build taller!

The project on 13th and market, I feel is a complete disaster. That parcel of land should be used to build a more dense, taller building with condos, not rentals. With the future park right there, it is a shame that the builder is just trying to throw something up there thats easy and quick (completely my opinion, not a fact.) They should take some time and build a tower that has some real "WOW" factor. We need more condos downtown, not rentals. The inventory for condos for sale downtown has dropped below 300 units, when last year it was almost double that!

HurricaneHugo Jul 31, 2011 8:16 PM

What future park are you guys talking about?

HurricaneHugo Jul 31, 2011 8:19 PM

Also more news on the Chargers Stadium.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...diego-stadium/

Also item 334 on the City Council's agenda, stolen from the Chargers forum.

Quote:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...lZjQw&hl=en_US

Item 334 of Tuesday afternoon's August 2, 2011, City Council Agenda for "Assignment and Assumption Agreement related to the Expansion of the San Diego Convention Center."

Instead of the San Diego Convention Center Corporation (SDCCC) and/or the Port of San Diego being in charge of all the CEQA and Entitlement issues; the City of San Diego (Mayor Sanders and the City Council) will now be the decision makers for the Convention Center Expansion; and One Park Boulevard LLC (a Delaware Corporation) will be in charge of the private luxury 500 room hotel. This new arrangement separates the public project from the private luxury hotel. Great news.

Previous decision makers at the SDCCC and the Port for the new luxury hotel and Convention Center Phase III Expansion, included Steve Johnson of SDCC and Steve Cushman for the Port. Both these non-elected decision makers refused to analyze the potential of a dual Stadium Convention Center and NFL Stadium as a Project Alternative for CEQA.

The decision to not acknowledge that a mutli-purpose Event Center is a possibility, is a great reason to take these non-elected people out of the decision making process, and give power back to our elected officials (City Council and Mayor Sanders). Hopefully with a change of Decision Makers to the City Council and Mayor Sanders, will allow the idea of a multi-purpose Stadium and Convention Center Phase III Expansion to be analyzed as a potential Alternative Project in the ongoing CEQA documentation. Plus a Waterfront location for an NFL Stadium would be considered Contiguous Convention Center space. A location for a stadium on the east side of the train tracks in the East Village would not be considered Contiguous for meeting purposes.

HurricaneHugo Jul 31, 2011 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5364449)

It's a city's downtown not a village.

East Village is just a name!

kpexpress Jul 31, 2011 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 5364753)
What changes to the building were you and CCAC hoping to see?

biggest concern was the daunting mass of this project and it's context. The towers have zero step backs and do little to 'disappear' into the sky. The repetitious balconies are always hated int he community, and no one was fond of the color scheme. Also people felt that the proximity of the two towers to each other looks like an unnecessary mass and would feel uncomfortable to live in - a few suggestions were floated to rotate the buildings so they're not perpendicular to each other (like Harbor Club). Others had concerns with the ground level retail and the pediment of the building. Some changes were offered that addressed the ground level and pediment, but the towers still look elementary, ugly and massive. I've coined them as Optimus Prime and Bumble Bee

kpexpress Jul 31, 2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly (Post 5364785)
I thought these towers will be the tallest buildings downtown since both of them will be over 500'. I LOVE this project because high density projects in East Village will make that whole area so much more vibrant. I feel for the homeless, but I am getting tired of the drug deals and crime that my area has. The only place to buildout downtown is by moving east and when these tall buildings get built in EV the skyline will look amazing! In regards to a village, there shouldnt be any downtown...build tall and then build taller!

The project on 13th and market, I feel is a complete disaster. That parcel of land should be used to build a more dense, taller building with condos, not rentals. With the future park right there, it is a shame that the builder is just trying to throw something up there thats easy and quick (completely my opinion, not a fact.) They should take some time and build a tower that has some real "WOW" factor. We need more condos downtown, not rentals. The inventory for condos for sale downtown has dropped below 300 units, when last year it was almost double that!

The elevation drawings showed the height as somewhere in the ballpark of 518'. I asked CCDC Staff about this and they said that elevation was not from finished grade, it was from sea level (possibly a Canadian thing). The actual height will be around 460-480'.