SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Dominion301 Apr 7, 2021 2:10 PM

I just received the following email from YFC for PAL Airlines:

Quote:

PAL Airlines announces flights from Fredericton to Deer Lake, St. John’s, Halifax, and Ottawa
Quote:

Travellers will soon be able to fly direct from the Fredericton International Airport (YFC) to Newfoundland. PAL Airlines announced today that it will offer flights from YFC to Deer Lake and St. John’s three times weekly starting May 31 and will also offer flights from YFC to Ottawa and Halifax three times weekly beginning August 2.

“Direct service to Newfoundland has long been a priority for our region, and we look forward to welcoming this new service which will connect families with their loved ones and businesses with their clients and customers,” says Fredericton International Airport Authority (FIAA) President and CEO Johanne Gallant.

“Ottawa and Halifax are also key markets for our travellers and we appreciate PAL Airlines’ initiative in connecting our region.”

PAL Airlines is an established regional air carrier with an over 40-year track record of providing passenger air service in Eastern Canada and Quebec and is known for reliable and efficient operations.

Full schedules and booking information will be available the afternoon of April 7 at www.palairlines.ca.
Looks like PAL are taking advantage of AC's big intra-Atlantic retrenchment. First time ever that YFC will be connected to Newfoundland.

SignalHillHiker Apr 7, 2021 4:27 PM

PAL is doing well. It has a good base here with MHAs and MPs that need to fly to St. John’s or connect to Ottawa from all the far-flung corners of the province. It’s been a bit too expensive for regular commercial passengers but hopefully that’ll change with scale. I went to college on the West Coast of the island and only flew home once. 45 minutes. Sure beat the hell out of the 12-hour bus ride (including meal stops).

MonctonRad Apr 7, 2021 4:42 PM

PAL will now have a good presence in New Brunswick.

Moncton to Deer Lake, St. John's, Wabush & Ottawa.
Fredericton to Deer Lake, St. John's, Halifax and Ottawa.

hollywoodcory Apr 7, 2021 8:21 PM

https://www.cohor.org/wp-content/upl...S-WebCohor.pdf

CDG S21 SOS Report:

Air Canada - 988 slots
Air Transat - 540 slots
WestJet - 92 slots

The WS slots match their limited ops last Summer, so maybe they'll only serve YYC-CDG 2x weekly in July & August?

magee_b Apr 8, 2021 7:05 AM

PAL Airlines Expansion
 
More on PAL Airlines. It seems they are picking up most of the regional routes dropped by AC.

In addition to the YFC announcement, YSJ, YQY and YYG have announced flights with PAL Airlines to YHZ. The PAL Airlines schedules also show a YUL-ZBF flight starting in August.

No public announcement highlighting everything from PAL Airlines yet, as the individual airports seem to be breaking the news. The article below also mentions more scheduled flights in Quebec.

https://www.flightglobal.com/network...143211.article
Quote:

Canadian regional carrier PAL Airlines will expand its network this summer to include 11 new destinations in eastern Canada.

The expansion comes as Canada’s airlines eye a potential summer rebound in air travel demand.

PAL, which operates De Havilland Canada Dash 8 turboprops, will this summer add flights to Halifax and Sydney in Nova Scotia, and to Saint John, Fredericton and Bathurst in New Brunswick, the airline tells FlightGlobal.

The expansion will also see PAL add service to Ottawa in Ontario and Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island. Additionally, it will begin flying to four cities in Quebec: Les Iles de la Madeleine, Gaspe, Baie-Comeau and Val-d’Or.

Dominion301 Apr 8, 2021 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magee_b (Post 9241979)
More on PAL Airlines. It seems they are picking up most of the regional routes dropped by AC.

In addition to the YFC announcement, YSJ, YQY and YYG have announced flights with PAL Airlines to YHZ. The PAL Airlines schedules also show a YUL-ZBF flight starting in August.

No public announcement highlighting everything from PAL Airlines yet, as the individual airports seem to be breaking the news. The article below also mentions more scheduled flights in Quebec.

https://www.flightglobal.com/network...143211.article

Wow that's quite the expansion. Safe to say that flights to/from YHZ will be timed for connections I would imagine.

I wonder whether PAL will seek out an interline (or even codeshare) agreement with AC? PAL already interline with WS.

YYCguys Apr 8, 2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9242303)
Wow that's quite the expansion. Safe to say that flights to/from YHZ will be timed for connections I would imagine.

I wonder whether PAL will seek out an interline (or even codeshare) agreement with AC? PAL already interline with WS.

What is the difference between an interline versus a codeshare?

SignalHillHiker Apr 8, 2021 11:29 PM

PAL is an impressive company for a province as small as ours. It's not up there with Verafin or Hey Orca or Mysa or any of our tech giants, but it's basically global. It, for example, does the security flights for the Dutch Carribean islands, and develops all sorts of aerospace stuff.

They're also one of the many companies helping promote immigration:

Video Link

hollywoodcory Apr 8, 2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCguys (Post 9242836)
What is the difference between an interline versus a codeshare?

https://onemileatatime.com/interline...oint-ventures/

Here's a detailed breakdown.

I usually equal them to:

Interline = Friends (They can book on each other flights, check baggage through and rebook, a fairly basic relationship)
Codeshare = Dating (They have a stronger relationship, putting their own flight numbers on each others flights, can print boarding passes, may offer FF benefits, they still act as two different airlines etc)
Joint Venture = Marriage (They share money, coordinate scheduling, acts as one unit rather than two)

thenoflyzone Apr 8, 2021 11:39 PM

.......and then there are mergers, which are forced marriages ! ;)

SignalHillHiker Apr 9, 2021 11:27 AM

PAL has finally announced it themselves. :haha:

Quote:

Get ready to roam Eastern Canada and Quebéc on PAL Airlines. We are excited to announce that beginning in May 2021, PAL Airlines will be connecting you to NEW destinations in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Ontario, and Québec. With more travel options to choose from, the only question you need to ask is where you’ll fly next!

Beginning May 10th
• Halifax, NS

Beginning May 31st
• Baie-Comeau, QC
• Val-d’Or, QC
• Gaspé, QC
• Saint-Augustin, QC
• La Romaine, QC
• Îles-de-la-Madeleine, QC
• Fredericton, NB
• Sydney, NS

Beginning August 2nd
• Charlottetown, PEI
• Bathurst, NB
• Saint John, NB
• Ottawa, ON

Book today at palairlines.ca, call our Reservations Center at 1.800.563.2800 or contact your local travel agent.
https://i.postimg.cc/qq8HfHrW/170606...35669230-n.jpg

SignalHillHiker Apr 9, 2021 11:35 AM

Also, in anticipation that Ottawa and Paris will allow St. Pierre et Miquelon into the Atlantic Bubble, they've launched a Canadian-focussed tourism campaign:

https://www.closerthanyouthink.ca

(They're right under the EL in Madeleine on PAL's map)

ghYHZ Apr 9, 2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 9243166)
Also, in anticipation that Ottawa and Paris will allow St. Pierre et Miquelon into the Atlantic Bubble, they've launched a Canadian-focussed tourism campaign:

https://www.closerthanyouthink.ca

(They're right under the EL in Madeleine on PAL's map)

It will be high on my bucket list this summer!! Not flying.....but an easy drive for me from Nova Scotia with the Argentia Ferry operating this year. Also an opportunity to spend some time on the Burin and Avalon and in St. John's!

Denscity Apr 10, 2021 4:31 PM

Turkish Airlines is running a radio ad in Vancouver announcing service from YVR "to the rest of the world" starting May 2nd.

casper Apr 10, 2021 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCguys (Post 9242836)
What is the difference between an interline versus a codeshare?

In an interline the two airlines have procedures in place to transfer passengers and baggage when a ticket is sold that has flights connections between the two airlines. That includes procedures in place to accommodate passengers on a missed connection. However both airlines set the price for each segment. The airline issuing the ticket then pays each operating airline after the flight based on the breakdown shown on your ticket. One airline is acting as an agent for the other.

In a code share the PAL flight is sold with a WS flight number or vice versa. How much the airlines pay each other is hidden from the consumer. One is acting as a sub-contractor/reseller to the other. This in principle this allows for more complex cost sharing between the two airlines and potentially lower prices as well as bundling of other things such as points for frequently flyer programs etc.

zahav Apr 10, 2021 9:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9244359)
Turkish Airlines is running a radio ad in Vancouver announcing service from YVR "to the rest of the world" starting May 2nd.

Yes also listed here:

Turkish Airlines to launch non-stop Istanbul-Vancouver flights May 2

British Columbians' long wait for scheduled, non-stop, commercial flights between Vancouver and Turkey is almost over.

Turkish Airlines plans to launch thrice-weekly, direct flights between Istanbul and Vancouver starting May 2, Turkish consul general Taylan Tokmak confirmed to BIV on April 8.


But with the way things are right now, it is still no guarantee. I need to see them here to believe it

Dominion301 Apr 10, 2021 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9244575)
Yes also listed here:

Turkish Airlines to launch non-stop Istanbul-Vancouver flights May 2

British Columbians' long wait for scheduled, non-stop, commercial flights between Vancouver and Turkey is almost over.

Turkish Airlines plans to launch thrice-weekly, direct flights between Istanbul and Vancouver starting May 2, Turkish consul general Taylan Tokmak confirmed to BIV on April 8.


But with the way things are right now, it is still no guarantee. I need to see them here to believe it

Unless they have a pile of cargo contracts lined up, I can’t see why they’d start flying this with less than a month before the first flight. In good times that would produce abysmal initial loads let alone at the height of wave 3. Raise your hand if you’re eager to visit Turkey where there were a record 55,000 cases yesterday?

thenoflyzone Apr 11, 2021 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9244688)
Unless they have a pile of cargo contracts lined up, I can’t see why they’d start flying this with less than a month before the first flight. In good times that would produce abysmal initial loads let alone at the height of wave 3. Raise your hand if you’re eager to visit Turkey where there were a record 55,000 cases yesterday?

I think the flight will start. They delayed it close to a year now. In the meantime, they've resumed YUL and YYZ long ago.

YVR-DEL seems bookable on TK website. Might be what they were waiting for to open up the flight.

Very little O&D from Canada to Turkey, the majority of which is from Toronto and Montreal anyways. Even there, that's not their target market. Specifically in the case of YVR, connecting traffic to the Indian sub-continent and Iran will be the main draws. TK draws a significant amount of Tehran traffic out of YYZ as well. (around 20,000 two way per year in 2019). In fact, it's one of their largest intl-intl market pair.

They are pretty big on North America-Tel Aviv as well.

YYCguys Apr 11, 2021 2:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9244379)
In an interline the two airlines have procedures in place to transfer passengers and baggage when a ticket is sold that has flights connections between the two airlines. That includes procedures in place to accommodate passengers on a missed connection. However both airlines set the price for each segment. The airline issuing the ticket then pays each operating airline after the flight based on the breakdown shown on your ticket. One airline is acting as an agent for the other.

In a code share the PAL flight is sold with a WS flight number or vice versa. How much the airlines pay each other is hidden from the consumer. One is acting as a sub-contractor/reseller to the other. This in principle this allows for more complex cost sharing between the two airlines and potentially lower prices as well as bundling of other things such as points for frequently flyer programs etc.

Thank you! That’s a very clear answer! :tup:

casper Apr 11, 2021 7:26 PM

Neat video of what flying on Air Canada use to be like back in the 1960s.

Video Link


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.