SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

SignalHillHiker Jun 15, 2016 6:55 PM

PAL (our provincial airline) is offering free flights for veterans and changed its logo to the Forget-me-Not (our older equivalent of the Poppy).

Free flights for vets, new forget-me-not logos as PAL marks Beaumont-Hamel 100th

http://i.imgur.com/fNUobf3.jpg

Quote:

Provincial Airlines and the Royal Canadian Legion are teaming up to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Beaumont-Hamel with new forget-me-not flower designs and complimentary in-province flights to war veterans to attend anniversary events.

At an announcement Wednesday afternoon at one of PAL's hangars in St. John's, the airline showed images of a forget-me-not that will soon grace the passenger door entrance of all PAL airplanes. The flower became the symbol of Newfoundlanders who fought in the First World War.

The airline also announced it will be offering complimentary in-province flights to war veterans who would like to travel to St. John's to attend special July 1 Memorial Day ceremonies and Beaumont-Hamel commemorative activities at The Rooms. All veterans will also be offered a 20 per cent discount on future PAL flights.

"The sacrifice of so many of Newfoundland and Labrador's sons [on July 1, 1916] at Beaumont-Hamel remains a defining moment for all of us in this great province," said General Rick Hillier, a senior advisor for PAL, in a press release Wednesday.

"As part of our remembrance and appreciation, I am honoured to announce this partnership between PAL Airlines and The Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Command of the Royal Canadian Legion."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...gion-1.3636420

SteelTown Jun 23, 2016 5:40 PM

NewLeaf is back

http://gonewleaf.ca/

Flights starts July 25, 2016.

odogfo Jun 23, 2016 5:46 PM

YYC airport is looking for volunteers to start testing it's new terminal before the opening.

http://www.yyc.com/calgaryairportaut...strations.aspx

SFUVancouver Jun 23, 2016 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelTown (Post 7483812)
NewLeaf is back

http://gonewleaf.ca/

Flights starts July 25, 2016.

Thanks for the link. The web address looks like it says "gone..." to me.

Johnny Aussie Jun 23, 2016 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFUVancouver (Post 7484003)
Thanks for the link. The web address looks like it says "gone..." to me.

I thought the same thing.... gone.

156 seat 737-400s on routes generally 2-3 times a week. They'd better sell a lot of seats at those low fares.

YEG-YXJ for example... $79 fare one way. $26.11 of that is revenue to the "airline" the rest is taxes and fees.

Love to know the break-even factor on those fares.

Dirt_Devil Jun 24, 2016 6:54 PM

Quebec City airport is growing....

pictures from June 2016



http://www.yqb2018.com/wp-content/pl...fdab0947e53a5c



http://www.yqb2018.com/wp-content/pl...b6892dfc9f51d8


http://www.yqb2018.com/wp-content/pl...1202256bee311e


http://www.yqb2018.com/wp-content/pl...87bd16c0bebe89


http://www.yqb2018.com/wp-content/pl...ff03a56677328a


http://www.yqb2018.com/wp-content/pl...0518e1a890e688


All pictures from: http://www.yqb2018.com/photos-et-videos/

Once all the work is done, the terminal will have doubled in size. Part of the 300M$ expansion program.

Johnny Aussie Jun 25, 2016 2:32 AM

NewLeaf / Flair / Enerjet
 
NewLeaf appears to be using flight numbers with airline code "EG" on some of their flights which is Enerjet.

On their website, they indicate all flights are being operated by Flair Airlines Inc.

Nowhere on the site does it indicate the flights are being operated by Enerjet.

So, is this the case?

If these flights are, in fact, being operated by Enerjet, would this not be in breach of the CTA ruling?

Should NewLeaf be required to indicate these flights are "operated by Enerjet?" Or is there a provision if somehow Flair is leasing these aircraft that this is not required?

Not super familiar with consumer/aviation law in Canada these days but this appears odd.

hipster duck Jun 25, 2016 5:13 PM

I'm trying to figure out who Newleaf is trying to serve.

For starters, their connections are terrible. I can't fly from Abbotsford to Hamilton without connecting through YEG or YWG on a different day. So that basically eliminates the busy YVR-YYZ market, or even the Southwestern Ontario - Eastern Lower Mainland submarket.

Montreal, Calgary and Ottawa are completely unserved.

Edmonton and Winnipeg are "hubs" but you can't fly between them.

As far as I can tell, Newleaf aims to serve Edmontonians and Winnipeggers who want to travel non-stop to tertiary Canadian markets like Kelowna and Moncton, but only on certain days, and with no substantial price savings.

casper Jun 25, 2016 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster duck (Post 7485986)
I'm trying to figure out who Newleaf is trying to serve.

For starters, their connections are terrible. I can't fly from Abbotsford to Hamilton without connecting through YEG or YWG on a different day. So that basically eliminates the busy YVR-YYZ market, or even the Southwestern Ontario - Eastern Lower Mainland submarket.

Montreal, Calgary and Ottawa are completely unserved.

Edmonton and Winnipeg are "hubs" but you can't fly between them.

As far as I can tell, Newleaf aims to serve Edmontonians and Winnipeggers who want to travel non-stop to tertiary Canadian markets like Kelowna and Moncton, but only on certain days, and with no substantial price savings.

I for one am quite happy to see that they don't own or operate any aircraft. They are either FlairAir or Enerjet aircraft by the looks of it.

Last thing we need is an airline just about to go bankrupt that cuts corners to stay a float.

Both FlairAir and Enerjet are in the business of chartering their aircraft out to whoever needs and less likely to cut corners if Newleaf is in trouble.

jmt18325 Jun 25, 2016 10:51 PM

According to their website, I can fly from Winnipeg to Toronto for about half the normal price. I'd consider that a pretty significant savings.

yyzer Jun 27, 2016 4:02 PM

For any local YYZ spotters out there, the President of Mexico will be arriving this afternoon for an official visit, scheduled in at about 4:00pm with Mexican Airforce 788.... a rare visitor & sharp looking airplane... :)

https://photos.flightaware.com/photo...a16bd6b4d31240

eemy Jun 27, 2016 5:34 PM

Nieto, Trudeau and Obama - will this be the sexiest multilateral conference ever?

kwoldtimer Jun 27, 2016 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy_haak (Post 7487250)
Nieto, Trudeau and Obama - will this be the sexiest multilateral conference ever?

The Mexican's a squirt, but wins the handsome contest by a country mile. Now if his wife and Sophie were to get into a cat fight ......

Johnny Aussie Jun 28, 2016 7:19 AM

Westjet to LGW
 
Looks like they are still having trouble with their "new" 763s.

They have Omni operating YVR-LGW today.

Are they going to extend their contract with Omni indefinitely!?

Those old Qantas birds are sure giving them issues. I've probably been on all of them!

Maybe the QF 744s visiting YVR this summer (the seasonal SYD-YVR flights start in a couple of days) can give them some comfort.

thenoflyzone Jun 28, 2016 11:20 AM

AC to resume YUL-SJU this coming winter, seasonal from 17 Dec to 22 April.

AC958 YUL0800 – 1345SJU 319 6
AC959 SJU1445 – 1900YUL 319 6

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...ervice-in-w16/

LeftCoaster Jun 28, 2016 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 7487993)
Looks like they are still having trouble with their "new" 763s.

They have Omni operating YVR-LGW today.

Are they going to extend their contract with Omni indefinitely!?

I saw the Omni 763 on the tarmac when I was at YYC last week, looked like it was heading over to the gate. Not a good sign at all.

Have been hearing about a lot of headaches Westjet is having with their LGW ops, doesn't seem to be getting much better either.

Johnny Aussie Jun 28, 2016 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyzer (Post 7487136)
For any local YYZ spotters out there, the President of Mexico will be arriving this afternoon for an official visit, scheduled in at about 4:00pm with Mexican Airforce 788.... a rare visitor & sharp looking airplane... :)

And here is one of the announcements from the North American Leaders' Summit.

http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2016/06...a-requirements

The visa requirement for Mexican citizens is being removed effective 1 December.

Coldrsx Jun 28, 2016 10:27 PM

About time... ridiculous to begin with.

BenTheGreat97 Jun 29, 2016 1:11 AM

Some pictures I took today in Ottawa:

Mexican Air Force 787 sitting on the ground this morning.
https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7649/2...a070768d8f.jpgFuerza Aérea Mexicana 787 by Ben Senior, on Flickr

As well as a US Air Force C-17 (motorcade, Marine One, helicopters, other supplies).
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7271/2...eb26298610.jpgUS Air Force Power by Ben Senior, on Flickr

ghYHZ Jun 29, 2016 8:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7488607)
I saw the Omni 763 on the tarmac when I was at YYC last week, looked like it was heading over to the gate. Not a good sign at all.

Have been hearing about a lot of headaches Westjet is having with their LGW ops, doesn't seem to be getting much better either.

Meanwhile……the east coast transatlantic ‘737 YYT-DUB, YYT-LGW and YHZ-GLA operations seem to be doing just fine.

Westjet should have stuck with what they did best……the ‘Southwest’ model of all one aircraft type.

I was a bit leery when they launched the Encore Q400 operation but at least that’s an airline within an airline using brand-new aircraft.

They have a nice little ‘niche’ using the ‘737 in the transatlantic market and should have just built on that…..establishing the reputation in Europe that they are known for in Canada.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.