SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

stockjock Jun 25, 2007 3:59 AM

Thank you for the photos of the El Cortez. While I'm sorry that there is so much litigation and contention surrounding the building, I'm thrilled that it was preserved and I'd prefer that another building not be built in the same lot. The building is truly a San Diego icon and its sightlines should be preserved wherever reasonably possible, in my opinion (which is probably the minority view).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 2911078)
Nice pic, ucsbgaucho!

Sure, the El Cortez isn't the most beautiful or ornate building downtown, but it's probably the most recognizable to us natives. Buildings like this prevent DTSD from looking and feeling like Dubai (or even worse, UTC ;)), where everything is brand spanking new.

I actually love seeing the blinking neon sign at night...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...isc/cortez.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...z-hotel-1a.jpg

Edited to include some old shots -

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...ntitled1-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...untitled-1.jpg


eburress Jun 25, 2007 4:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2916721)
I think I'm the only one who here actually likes Grand Pacific.

You may be. I think it's gawd awful! :)

spoonman Jun 25, 2007 4:14 AM

^I agree...it hurts to look at that building.

spoonman Jun 25, 2007 4:16 AM

I don't know if any of you have heard this, but I've heard the term "San Diego architecture" thrown around lately. It was more or less in reference to green glass buildings with too many balconies. I don't want our city to get a rep like that.

<ak/> Jun 25, 2007 4:21 AM

looks pretty impressive
 
it's kinda old news but the picture is too cool
Quote:

"San Diego, BAYSIDE condos ($795,000 to $12,000,000.each condo, 282 total.)

These photos show the concrete pour, last weekend, of the south one-half
only of the ten-foot-thick RAFT slab, which supports the 35 story tower.

This was a 258 truck-ballet in which the contractor placed 11,500 yards of
concrete in one monolithic pour that got started at five in the morning and
finished by three in the afternoon."
is it even real picture or photoshop enhanced?

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...t/concrete.jpg

Derek Jun 25, 2007 6:02 AM

^That's a real picture. :jester:

Charles Hatfield Jun 25, 2007 6:35 AM

I saw the pour for one of the BOSA towers. Very impressive operation.

It saids they used 258 truck, I wonder how many cement trucks a city like San Diego has total.

bushman61988 Jun 25, 2007 8:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2916721)
I think I'm the only one who here actually likes Grand Pacific.

No, I actually really like it too.
It's not the typical "San Diego" architecture or the bluish-green glass w/ lots of balconies like someone said earlier, which is played out!

sandiego_urban Jun 26, 2007 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Are they still planning on extending the trolley up to the UCSD/UTC area by 2012?

Here's a link (including map) to info on the Mid-coast Extension. Let's hope it will happen, eventually :fingerscrossed:
http://www.sandag.org/index.asp?proj...rojects.detail

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 2916801)
^I agree...it hurts to look at that building.

I'm no fan of Grand Pacific Tower, either. I think it's hideous:yuck:

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman
I don't know if any of you have heard this, but I've heard the term "San Diego architecture" thrown around lately. It was more or less in reference to green glass buildings with too many balconies. I don't want our city to get a rep like that.

Really? Where? It's not necessarily a bad thing. It would only be bad if every new building going up looked similar to each other (see Vancouver). IMO, we're still a long way from looking like that, but we do need to be careful in the future.

Thank goodness for projects like 700 W. Broadway, Lane Field, and NBC to help break up the monotony. :yes:

eburress Jun 26, 2007 1:13 AM

I still have my fingers crossed for more Vancouver-style buildings. Bring 'em on!! That would be much better than some of the recent, CRAP proposals (like GPT)! :)

sandiegodweller Jun 26, 2007 3:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2916681)
And...

Is this a new image for 16th & G Street:

http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyImages/16&G-CCDC.jpg



Lofts 32

http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyI...2032%20E64.jpg..not very impressive if you ask me. Google sketchup?


I can't get too excited about projects east of 12th (Park Ave). It would be financial Hari Kari to start a project in those fringe areas anytime in the next 24 months.

Has anyone noticed the lack of life at The Mark and the snails pace of completion for ALTA?

HurricaneHugo Jun 26, 2007 9:00 AM

Stop being negative!:mad:

bushman61988 Jun 26, 2007 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 2918640)
Has anyone noticed the lack of life at The Mark and the snails pace of completion for ALTA?

Yea, when i was coming home from the ballpark, I noticed that the Mark was almost completely dark! I think I saw like 5-10 lights on at the MOST. It definitelly seems dead there.

The Alta I think is moving along slowly, but i thought it wasn't supposed to be completed until summer or fall of '07. Alta looks much better at night, by the way.

sandiegodweller Jun 26, 2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 2919103)
Stop being negative!:mad:

That is a novel response from someone who names themself after a natural disaster.

Hurricane Hugo was a destructive Category 5 hurricane that struck Puerto Rico, St. Croix, South Carolina and North Carolina in September of the 1989 Atlantic hurricane season, killing 82 people. It also left 56,000 homeless. The storm caused $10 billion (1989 USD, $13.6 billion (2005 USD) in damages, making it at the time the most damaging hurricane ever recorded, surpassing Hurricane Frederic.

druna974 Jun 27, 2007 6:03 PM

[QUOTE=bushman61988;2919724]Yea, when i was coming home from the ballpark, I noticed that the Mark was almost completely dark! I think I saw like 5-10 lights on at the MOST. It definitelly seems dead there.

So, The Mark has closed on 75+ Units in the first month and a half. The top 6 floors and many other units have not been released yet. They are expecting to release these and release unsold units at a substantial higher value than the original prices in about a month. The top Pentouse is 3000+ square feet with 2500 more square feet of deck space...

roadwarrior Jun 27, 2007 10:09 PM

Question for those of you in SD. Last time I was down there (last year), I was pleasantly surprised by how much condo development was happening in the downtown/gaslamp area. I think its really changing the city for the better and I only wish that we'd have the same rate of development up here in SF.

However, it makes me wonder how people in SD can afford to buy those units. I lived down there for a while, graduated from UCSD, and decided to leave for the lack of job opportunities there. I saw few corporate headquarters there and those jobs that were available paid far less than I see up here in SF.

Now, we have the affordability problem here in the bay area as well, but I think the demand for these types of units up here will continue to be strong, due to the large number of high paying jobs (high tech, consulting, I-banking, venture capital, etc), in addition to the traditional high paying professional positions (doctor, lawyer, business owner) and the old money.

In SD, the only people I can afford these types of units are those with the old money and the traditional high paying professional positions. Unless these units are filled with Hong Kong speculators (like in Vancouver), I don't see the market continuing to support itself down there, given the rapid growth development rate. Thoughts?

dl3000 Jun 27, 2007 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadwarrior (Post 2922093)
Question for those of you in SD. Last time I was down there (last year), I was pleasantly surprised by how much condo development was happening in the downtown/gaslamp area. I think its really changing the city for the better and I only wish that we'd have the same rate of development up here in SF.

However, it makes me wonder how people in SD can afford to buy those units. I lived down there for a while, graduated from UCSD, and decided to leave for the lack of job opportunities there. I saw few corporate headquarters there and those jobs that were available paid far less than I see up here in SF.

Now, we have the affordability problem here in the bay area as well, but I think the demand for these types of units up here will continue to be strong, due to the large number of high paying jobs (high tech, consulting, I-banking, venture capital, etc), in addition to the traditional high paying professional positions (doctor, lawyer, business owner) and the old money.

In SD, the only people I can afford these types of units are those with the old money and the traditional high paying professional positions. Unless these units are filled with Hong Kong speculators (like in Vancouver), I don't see the market continuing to support itself down there, given the rapid growth development rate. Thoughts?

I can imagine a good chunk is maybe people from Arizona for weekend getaways and the like but others probably have real data. That Rincon building up in SF looks nice, is that the only development of its kind up there?

roadwarrior Jun 27, 2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl3000 (Post 2922145)
I can imagine a good chunk is maybe people from Arizona for weekend getaways and the like but others probably have real data. That Rincon building up in SF looks nice, is that the only development of its kind up there?

That particular development will have another tower (50 stories), which should start construction late this year (we hope). The surrounding area should have 10-12 towers of 40+ stories and if the transbay terminal project gets off the ground, we can expect several more towers, but it just seems like things here move at a snail's pace, due to all the red tape.

sandiegodweller Jun 28, 2007 1:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadwarrior (Post 2922152)
That particular development will have another tower (50 stories), which should start construction late this year (we hope). The surrounding area should have 10-12 towers of 40+ stories and if the transbay terminal project gets off the ground, we can expect several more towers, but it just seems like things here move at a snail's pace, due to all the red tape.

.....

sandiegodweller Jun 28, 2007 1:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl3000 (Post 2922145)
I can imagine a good chunk is maybe people from Arizona for weekend getaways and the like but others probably have real data. That Rincon building up in SF looks nice, is that the only development of its kind up there?

"People from Arizona" pay less than $350,00 average for their new homes in the Phoenix area. I doubt that they are buying second homes in downtown San Diego for $400,00 to $500,000 for "weekend getaways".

The glut of condos in downtown is a direct result of the homebuilders reacting to false demand fueled by speculation due to cheap money.

The publically traded homebuilders have written off $3.3 billion in bad land transactions over the past year.

The replacement costs to build a new highrise should be about $600 per sq. ft. so that should limit the prices for resales on the downside and curb future supply until the current projects are absorbed.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.