SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Mariobrotha Jan 10, 2009 4:21 PM

Miramar will ALWAYS be the only choice.

Any idea when we should be expecting the next round of base closures?

PadreHomer Jan 10, 2009 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariobrotha (Post 4016995)
Miramar will ALWAYS be the only choice.

Any idea when we should be expecting the next round of base closures?

It is so obvious and perfect of a location. The lack of foresight in this community is astounding. The amount of jobs a REAL airport would create here would make a significant impact. Because of overcapacity at LAX, airlines and freight WANT to direct more traffic to SAN, but they can't because of Lindbergh. There is a huge amount of unused land in the Miramar area surrounded by multiple freeways which service nearly the entire county. There is just very little political vision in this "town".

bmfarley Jan 10, 2009 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PadreHomer (Post 4017084)
It is so obvious and perfect of a location. The lack of foresight in this community is astounding. The amount of jobs a REAL airport would create here would make a significant impact. Because of overcapacity at LAX, airlines and freight WANT to direct more traffic to SAN, but they can't because of Lindbergh. There is a huge amount of unused land in the Miramar area surrounded by multiple freeways which service nearly the entire county. There is just very little political vision in this "town".

I am very certain the region thinks the same way; however, with the military there and in total control of decisions, there is absolutely nothing the area can do... vote or no vote. The Federal Government trumps local.

If the feds were to absolve themselves of that land, this region in a heart beat would move forward with efforts to make it an airport.

eburress Jan 10, 2009 8:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4017306)
I am very certain the region thinks the same way; however, with the military there and in total control of decisions, there is absolutely nothing the area can do... vote or no vote. The Federal Government trumps local.

If the feds were to absolve themselves of that land, this region in a heart beat would move forward with efforts to make it an airport.

Don't be so sure about that. I think WE all know that Miramar is this city's only realistic location/hope for an international airport and I think WE all know what a "real" international airport would do for this city's economy...

...but...

...we should also remember who lives in this city. A bunch of people who want to hold onto some outdated vision of San Diego as a quaint beach town and who definitely do not want economic expansion. A bunch of NIMBYs who are way more concerned about their own good (or property values) than the good of the city or region. A bunch of lame-asses whose only goal in life (seemingly) is to keep this city from being what it could be and then wonder why it is continually in the red.

WHEN (not if) Miramar is shut down, this city is going to have one helluva battle on its hands getting an airport built there because all the surrounding communities are going to fight it to the death.

staplesla Jan 11, 2009 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariobrotha (Post 4016995)
Miramar will ALWAYS be the only choice.

Any idea when we should be expecting the next round of base closures?

Don't count on it any time soon. With the economy in the tanks I doubt Obama wants to close bases and stir up any drama.

IconRPCV Jan 11, 2009 5:03 AM

Now if I am totally off base let me know but I think that it is all the out of state transplants and not the natives that are the big NIMBY's. Ex Chicagoans and Northeasteners move out here to escape all the big taxes and trappings of their former cities and want SD to stay the complete opposite of their former environments. In addition they have no real connection to the place like a native has.

Perhaps I am an a-hole, or perhaps I am just tired of getting yelled at as being so fair-weather by all the Steeler and Patriot fans who move here yet instead of becoming a San Diegan insist on proclaiming their in your face allegiance to their former town.

staplesla Jan 11, 2009 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 4017373)
Don't be so sure about that. I think WE all know that Miramar is this city's only realistic location/hope for an international airport and I think WE all know what a "real" international airport would do for this city's economy...

...but...

...we should also remember who lives in this city. A bunch of people who want to hold onto some outdated vision of San Diego as a quaint beach town and who definitely do not want economic expansion. A bunch of NIMBYs who are way more concerned about their own good (or property values) than the good of the city or region. A bunch of lame-asses whose only goal in life (seemingly) is to keep this city from being what it could be and then wonder why it is continually in the red.

WHEN (not if) Miramar is shut down, this city is going to have one helluva battle on its hands getting an airport built there because all the surrounding communities are going to fight it to the death.

I live in University City and I would rather have an international airport at Miramar than a military institution. The fighter jets are extremely loud and though an airport would mean increased flights, the air traffic wouldn't be as loud.

kpexpress Jan 13, 2009 9:23 AM

Is there no room for an airport in Balboa Park? Might be nonrealistic, but it just came across me as an option (it is late and I might be loopy at this point)

Crackertastik Jan 13, 2009 4:46 PM

#1 Miramar is the obvious choice, but it's prolly never going to happen.

#2 Put it in the desert and have a high speed rail system, 200 MPH straight shot from the city to the site.

#3 Have some freaking foresight, realize tech is already ready to have a floating airport, and put it a few miles out into the ocean.

Those are the ONLY options in my opinion. There is no where else. And staying at Lindbergh is not an option in my opinion either.

PadreHomer Jan 13, 2009 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4017306)
I am very certain the region thinks the same way; however, with the military there and in total control of decisions, there is absolutely nothing the area can do... vote or no vote. The Federal Government trumps local.

If the feds were to absolve themselves of that land, this region in a heart beat would move forward with efforts to make it an airport.

They did an advisory vote on the subject a few years ago and it lost overwhelmingly.

kpexpress Jan 13, 2009 10:09 PM

I am relatively new to San Diego, but correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels as if there is no forward thinking and ambitious planning when it comes to capital improvements here. I wish I was here to see how the trolley ever got off the ground. If this city doesn't think for the future and act now we will be so far behind the times and it will just continue to choke the city's growth and competitive edge.

staplesla Jan 14, 2009 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4022691)
I am relatively new to San Diego, but correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels as if there is no forward thinking and ambitious planning when it comes to capital improvements here. I wish I was here to see how the trolley ever got off the ground. If this city doesn't think for the future and act now we will be so far behind the times and it will just continue to choke the city's growth and competitive edge.

I agree totally. I've lived in Europe, the East Coast and Texas, and San Diego is the worst for planning and vision.

SDCAL Jan 14, 2009 6:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PadreHomer (Post 4022307)
They did an advisory vote on the subject a few years ago and it lost overwhelmingly.

Yes, but the vote was stupid. It was done when Miramar was in existence and the military was saying it would not give up the site

I think IF the feds close Miramar, the vote might be different. Then the question of moving the base would be answered, it would just be a vote on should the land be used for an airport

Yes, there would be plenty of NIMBYs near the site voting no, but the NIMBYs in Point Loma would probably vote yes in glee that the airport would be out of their backyards lol

I am still perplexed by why we had the vote when we did

If we had voted "Yes", what would have happened? The military still wouldn't have left

If you are serious about any chance of Miramar closing, I recommend writing your Congressional rep.

SDCAL Jan 14, 2009 6:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4021618)
Is there no room for an airport in Balboa Park? Might be nonrealistic, but it just came across me as an option (it is late and I might be loopy at this point)

HAHA I think you picked the one spot that would be WORSE than Lindbergh's current locale ;)

BP is one of our city's best assets, it is my favorite spots in SD, it has all the stuff our city lacks - - culture, history, it shouldn't be touched

staplesla Jan 14, 2009 6:54 AM

You guys are aware that the lines are going to be trenched right? My spouse is the project manager for the HSR and due to state and federal laws there can't be any level crossing; therefore, all lines must be elevated or below grade. The HSR is to share right of way downtown with the trolley so they will all be trenched.

bmfarley Jan 14, 2009 8:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 4023842)
You guys are aware that the lines are going to be trenched right? My spouse is the project manager for the HSR and due to state and federal laws there can't be any level crossing; therefore, all lines must be elevated or below grade. The HSR is to share right of way downtown with the trolley so they will all be trenched.

You spoke to something along this line before. I am glad to see design work is being done. The original adopted preferred alignment has HSR being airial from the SD River all the way to Santa Fe Depot. But many things have changed at SFD that makes an airial structure seem very very unpalatable, if not doable.

Do you know when information will be presented publicly about the work being done by your husband? Or who the work is being done for; CHSRA, CCDC, or maybe even MTS? It would be interesting to learn of what characteristics are planned for a station at Santa Fe Depot and what may happen when passing through the Old Town Station. Or, what of the other rail infrusture through the same corridor for freight, Amtrak and Coaster. SFD is interesting because the block from Ash to Broadway is approximately the same length of a possible HSR train and seems to pose challenges with fitting in 4 positions for train layover/staging.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...ail/HSR-SD.jpg

kpexpress Jan 14, 2009 9:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4023934)
You spoke to something along this line before. I am glad to see design work is being done. The original adopted preferred alignment has HSR being airial from the SD River all the way to Santa Fe Depot. But many things have changed at SFD that makes an airial structure seem very very unpalatable, if not doable.

Do you know when information will be presented publicly about the work being done by your husband? Or who the work is being done for; CHSRA, CCDC, or maybe even MTS? It would be interesting to learn of what characteristics are planned for a station at Santa Fe Depot and what may happen when passing through the Old Town Station. Or, what of the other rail infrusture through the same corridor for freight, Amtrak and Coaster. SFD is interesting because the block from Ash to Broadway is approximately the same length of a possible HSR train and seems to pose challenges with fitting in 4 positions for train layover/staging.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...ail/HSR-SD.jpg

When I watch all the youtube videos of the High Speed Rail in California, they all seem to portray an extremely cutting edge modern station in every city that the HSR stops at (i.e. San Jose, Bakersfield, and of course SF). I hope that they can still use the Santa Fe Depot as the High Speed Rail Station, whether that be underground or at grade similar the the Amtrack/Trolley lines.

Also, according to the map you have posted here it seems that the line will go pass or through both Lindbergh Field and Miramar so if the airport was moved to Miramar there would still be a quick and convenient access to the airport from Downtown and access to a multi-sport (chargers) olympic grade stadium that hopefully will find a home where Lindbergh currently sits.

With the above changes (Airport, HSR, and Sports Venue) San Diego will for sure be seeing multiple Summer Olympics and the economy will reap the benefits.

Can anyone say 1000 footers!!!!

staplesla Jan 14, 2009 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4023934)
You spoke to something along this line before. I am glad to see design work is being done. The original adopted preferred alignment has HSR being airial from the SD River all the way to Santa Fe Depot. But many things have changed at SFD that makes an airial structure seem very very unpalatable, if not doable.

Do you know when information will be presented publicly about the work being done by your husband? Or who the work is being done for; CHSRA, CCDC, or maybe even MTS? It would be interesting to learn of what characteristics are planned for a station at Santa Fe Depot and what may happen when passing through the Old Town Station. Or, what of the other rail infrusture through the same corridor for freight, Amtrak and Coaster. SFD is interesting because the block from Ash to Broadway is approximately the same length of a possible HSR train and seems to pose challenges with fitting in 4 positions for train layover/staging.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...ail/HSR-SD.jpg

My husband has shown me some of the designs but at this time I can't comment because he says nothing is being released by his firm yet. As soon as I can I will copy and post some for you guys.

bmfarley Jan 15, 2009 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 4024697)
My husband has shown me some of the designs but at this time I can't comment because he says nothing is being released by his firm yet. As soon as I can I will copy and post some for you guys.

Yeah, I understand and suspected as much. The information should be in the public domain before being released to places like this.

kpexpress Jan 15, 2009 10:32 AM

Any news on the library?


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.