SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

OneMetropolis Jul 7, 2009 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD_Phil (Post 4339369)
Not entirely sure why this is sad. So long as growth is healthy (or at least so long as there is growth) then why should we care whether other cities are growing faster or whether SD is the 7th or 9th largest city in the country? It's not clear that San Antonio or Phoenix or etc are doing better just because they have more people, in some cases it seems like the opposite is true.

well being on top helps civic pride and it's kinda sad to see us tank you know my hometown.

bmfarley Jul 7, 2009 3:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filambata (Post 4342494)
I believe lots of federal funds are apportioned according to population and population ranking...?

Population rank has nothing to do with amounts apportioned to Urban Areas. Population, yes. Rank, no.

staplesla Jul 8, 2009 4:48 PM

Library/School Moving Forward

The proposal to build a new main library in downtown San Diego picked up more momentum yesterday when the City Council agreed to incorporate a high school to help fund it.

The San Diego Unified School District has agreed to chip in $20 million in exchange for a long-term lease of two floors of the nine-story library. The council voted 5-3 to move forward with the new school-library combination.

Council members Todd Gloria and Marti Emerald said that despite the city's financial woes – San Diego faces deficits of $100 million or more per year – it's still important to embrace bold projects.

“This is an opportunity to show that there is some vision on this council, that we are willing to move this project forward, that we dare to dream big and do things even in difficult times,” Gloria said.

Emerald agreed.

“We may be down, but we are not out,” she said. “To sit and cower because of a bad economy, to be afraid of moving forward, to lack a vision, I think is a disservice to the community.”

Council members Donna Frye, Sherri Lightner and Carl DeMaio opposed moving forward, saying the city can't afford it.

The construction cost was pegged at $185 million in 2005. Getting a new cost estimate and updating the plans will cost $500,000 to $700,000. The city has spent $17 million on planning and designing the project and preparing the library site, officials said.

Council members expressed concerns about the expense of staffing and operating the new central library, which would be more than twice the size of the existing one.

“Restoring the city's financial strength must be our first priority so that all of the other goals we hope to accomplish have a chance to be achieved,” Lightner said. “Neighborhood libraries, which are used by the majority of San Diegans, already suffer from limited hours and short staffing. To further cut those branches at this time so a new central library can be built, furnished, maintained and operated would be unwarranted.”

The sixth and seventh floors would be used for a charter school serving about 400 students at the East Village location.

The council's endorsement will help San Diego keep a $20 million state grant. In addition to state and schools money, the library is relying on $80 million in downtown redevelopment funds and private donations.

Yesterday's council vote directs the city to send a letter to the state committing to collaboration with the district. The city may terminate the deal if construction costs are too high.

WHAT'S NEXT

September: Council to enter contract with school district and amend contracts with architects and others to update specifications

November: City to put project out to bid

July 2010: Construction contract to be awarded

January 2013: Building to be completed

July 2013: Library to open

sandiegodweller Jul 8, 2009 10:29 PM

July 08, 2009

JMI seeks to keep hotel going

San Diego's downtown redevelopment agency indicated today that it will give Padres owner John Moores' development company what it wants to keep alive a potential hotel at Ballpark Village, across the street from the Petco Park.

JMI Realty wants a 5-year extension of its density allotment to 2016 and the right to move some of its required parking spaces to the Metropolitan Transit System garage at 11th and Imperial avenues. The company said it needs the concessions to keep its lenders happy and make the site more marketable.

The split vote at a Centre City Development Corp. committee meeting came over the objections of the hotel workers union, UNITE Local 30, and the labor-friendly Center on Policy Initiatives. They argued the city should hold those points in reserve as negotiating tools when JMI submits its hotel plans, expected in the fall.

The hotel will be a large project, and the city would likely look to demand some concessions from the developer. In the past, it was dictating the placement of affordable housing.

The hotel union supported JMI's past hotel proposal on the site, a 1,900-room Marriott, because that company agreed to protect organizing rights for workers. Another operator might not be favorable to a similar agreement.

Marriott pulled out of the project last year, but JMI still hopes to build a hotel and attract another hospitality company.

The issue will eventually end up at the City Council for a final decision.

Posted by Jeanette Steele | 02:07 PM

tdavis Jul 9, 2009 4:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 4347695)
July 08, 2009

San Diego's downtown redevelopment agency indicated today that it will give Padres owner John Moores' development company what it wants to keep alive a potential hotel at Ballpark Village, across the street from the Petco Park.

Where does JMI want to build this? Where is across the street?

HurricaneHugo Jul 9, 2009 5:08 AM

It's to the east/southeast of the park. Dunno the exact streets.

bmfarley Jul 9, 2009 1:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4348438)
It's to the east/southeast of the park. Dunno the exact streets.

Between Imperial and the Trolley/RR tracks.... and the 11th Ave (stub street)and Park Blvd. This project was discussed in this thread some months ago...

HurricaneHugo Jul 10, 2009 9:46 PM

Forgot to say it sooner...but has anybody watched Transformers 2?

I don't know if it was the weed but I could have sworn San Diego's skyline popped up for about two seconds while they were flying to some base.

Derek Jul 10, 2009 11:25 PM

It was definitely San Diego. :laugh:

I noticed that, too.

Is anybody else on here going to Street Scene? Beastie Boys are headlining. :D :D

cata77 Jul 11, 2009 3:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4351650)
Forgot to say it sooner...but has anybody watched Transformers 2?

I don't know if it was the weed but I could have sworn San Diego's skyline popped up for about two seconds while they were flying to some base.

yeah i saw that too

SD_Phil Jul 11, 2009 8:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 4351783)

Is anybody else on here going to Street Scene? Beastie Boys are headlining. :D :D

Be there both days. I'm psyched about the awesomeness of the bands this year.

Derek Jul 11, 2009 4:22 PM

I already got my two day pass. :D

HurricaneHugo Jul 11, 2009 10:26 PM

Can somebody please explain to me why there's always traffic on the 163 on ramp from the 5? ON A SATURDAY??!!!

I know it's horribly designed (4 lanes converge into 1 in a matter of seconds) but still...ITS A SATURDAY!!!

Derek Jul 13, 2009 4:30 AM

I was there last night. What time were you there?

HurricaneHugo Jul 13, 2009 8:35 AM

This was at 1pm...

Derek Jul 14, 2009 1:32 AM

Oh. :(

But yeah that interchange is ridiculous. I was on it again today and almost got sideswiped on both sides of my car at the same time!

S.DviaPhilly Jul 17, 2009 4:55 PM

I went for my usual walk to the Market 32 on 10th and island and I have to say the fake grass in front of fahrenheit and M2i stinks real bad today (must be the heat) of dog piss and such. Why don't they just put real grass there, so the urine stink and bugs go away or at least die down a bit. DAMN!!!

staplesla Jul 17, 2009 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly (Post 4362939)
I went for my usual walk to the Market 32 on 10th and island and I have to say the fake grass in front of fahrenheit and M2i stinks real bad today (must be the heat) of dog piss and such. Why don't they just put real grass there, so the urine stink and bugs go away or at least die down a bit. DAMN!!!

It's been like that for a while now. I always cross the street before walking down that block because the smell makes me sick.

sopas ej Jul 18, 2009 2:54 AM

From jetsongreen.com:

Beyond Platinum City Hall Proposal
Written by Preston Koerner | July 14, 2009

http://jetsongreen.typepad.com/.a/6a...f41d970c-500wi

According to the Union-Tribune, a $432 million project is making its way to San Diego City Council for consideration as the new San Diego City Hall. Although still in early stages, developer Gerding Edlen indicates that the design is beyond LEED Platinum, and according to some, it could be one of the greenest buildings on the West Coast if built. The 23-story building, with a design that kind of resembles a large sail, has some of the following green elements:

http://jetsongreen.typepad.com/.a/6a...3cbd970b-500wi

• Solar thermal panels that offset about 75% of total hot water demand;
  • Solar PV panels that provide roughly 8% of total energy use;
  • Natural light, efficient lights, and smart controls that reduce energy consumed by 9%;
  • Small wind turbines that generate supplemental electricity;
  • Waste water that's treated on-site for reuse and to be exported elsewhere;
  • A green roof to capture and filter rainwater; and
  • An efficient chilled water system that cools the building.

The Zimmer Gunsul Frasca Architects design is handsome and innovative, and if San Diego decides to build something, they'd be in good hands with Gerding Edlen. The company has considerable experience with LEED projects, as well as a cutting edge Living Building Challenge project called the Oregon Sustainability Center. In any event, only time will tell as the new green San Diego City Hall still has a number of details to be determined.

http://jetsongreen.typepad.com/.a/6a...f7de970c-500wi

http://jetsongreen.typepad.com/.a/6a...a54d970b-500wi

http://jetsongreen.typepad.com/.a/6a...a62d970b-500wi

HurricaneHugo Jul 18, 2009 4:56 AM

Build it.