SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

tovangar2 Nov 25, 2012 10:44 PM

Cosmo St. Scene
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by austlar1 (Post 5913549)
Your post is provocative and interesting too. I don't know if these places have been discussed on this thread, but I would love to learn more about the clubs you mention above and about the performers you mention. I think you might shed some light on "quasi L&G" nightlife in the 1930s and leading up to WW2. Would you care to give it a shot?

I added a little more info re the Cosmo Street scene in a P.S. to my last post on page 522. Google will give you a lot more.

"Behind the Screen: How Gays and Lesbians Shaped Hollywood, 1910-1969" by William J. Mann, Penguin Books, 2001 and "Open Secret: Gay Hollywood, 1928-2000" by David Ehrenstein are full of info as is the delightful "Wisecracker: The Life and Times of William Haines, Hollywood's First Openly Gay Star", also by William Mann.

ethereal_reality Nov 26, 2012 12:39 AM

The Haines rick_m mentioned is film actor William Haines. (tovanger2 mentions him as well in her post :previous:)

http://imageshack.us/a/img141/9052/aabhaines1.jpg
http://lewistrimble.blogspot.com/201...ner-actor.html




http://imageshack.us/a/img254/5681/a...esswimming.jpg
http://lazycircles.blogspot.com/2008...am-haines.html


http://imageshack.us/a/img838/4485/a...azycircles.jpg
http://lazycircles.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html





below: Cafe Trocadero circa 1935.

http://imageshack.us/a/img405/2733/a...mystanding.jpg
http://www.maybellinebook.com/2011/1...ields-had.html

William (Billy) Haines is seated with the cigarette in his hand and his lover Jimmy Shields is standing at left....and we all know who the delectable blonde is.
__

tovangar2 Nov 26, 2012 12:42 AM

CC Pierce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 5913047)

below: Here is a wonderful photograph of Prospect Avenue before it was renamed Hollywood Boulevard.
You can clearly see the original Hollywood Hotel (with strawberry fields across the street).

http://imageshack.us/a/img195/3235/a...ectaveebay.jpg
newly listed on ebay

__



CC Pierce (1861-1946) came to LA from Chicago in 1886 for the winter & stayed. He married Hattie Gower (Gower St in Hollywood is named for her family's ranch).

The LA Times published an article on C.C. Pierce and his 10,000 photographs in July.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul...ierce-20120710

Here's Pierce's shot of the future Miracle Mile (diagonal at center) in 1920
http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_focus/CHS-7010.jpg
Title Insurance and Trust / C.C. Pierce Photography Collection, USC Libraries.

ethereal_reality Nov 26, 2012 12:57 AM

a little more on william haines

1930 film
http://imageshack.us/a/img844/1958/a...irlsaidnom.jpg

download here
http://lovvrpy.tumblr.com/post/17322041622









1929
http://imageshack.us/a/img515/4369/aabhainestheg.jpg
http://www.barewalls.com/pv-443388_1...ie-Poster.html

tovangar2 Nov 26, 2012 1:40 AM

Billy Haines
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 5913713)
The Haines rick_m mentioned is film actor William Haines. (tovanger2 mentions him above :previous:)

http://imageshack.us/a/img838/4485/a...azycircles.jpg
http://lazycircles.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html
__

Haines decorating business was a justified hit and continues to influence interior designers today.

Below is the bed Haines did for Carole Lombard. The tufted trim around the edges was a classic Haines touch and became a trademark.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-A...65916%2BPM.jpg
architecturaldigestarchives

Joan Crawford's living room. Haines combined regency pieces with his own contemporary furniture into a new "Hollywood Regency" style. Original Haines furniture fetches high prices at auction. Some of his designs are still in production.
http://blog.circawho.com/wp-content/...anCrawford.jpg
circawho.com

Billy dazzles a client:
http://blog.circawho.com/wp-content/...esDesigns..jpg
circawho.com

Classic Haines armless chair:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-a...70509%2BPM.jpg
http://<i>http://www.williamhaines.c...-chair-256</i>


http://blog.circawho.com/wp-content/...liamHaines.jpg
circawho
Haines' lab for his design ideas was his and Jimmy's home at 1712 N Stanley Drive. He once did a room in knotty pine, but thought there weren't enough knots, so had a faux-finish painter add more. http://www.architecturaldigest.com/g...-angeles-house



And if you haven't seen Haines in "Show People" (1928) with Marion Davies (directed by King Vidor), do it now. Show People is both Haines and Davies best film.
It features location shooting on the MGM lot.
http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Po...0People_02.jpg
dr macro



e_r also touched on Randolph Scott and Cary Grant in the blog he quoted. There was a dreamy photo spread done on them at home. Google Images has the rest of the series.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb...eqjmo1_500.jpg
tumbr
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MdT92ZQvZ0...h%2526Cary.jpg
http://gayinfluence.blogspot.com

rcarlton Nov 26, 2012 2:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 5913713)

below: Cafe Trocadero circa 1935.

http://imageshack.us/a/img405/2733/a...mystanding.jpg
http://www.maybellinebook.com/2011/1...ields-had.html

William (Billy) Haines is seated with the cigarette in his hand and his lover Jimmy Shields is standing at left....and we all know who the delectable blonde is.
__

Who is the blond?:shrug:

tovangar2 Nov 26, 2012 2:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcarlton (Post 5913809)
Who is the blond?:shrug:

That's Jean Harlow seated next to her honey, William Powell

P.S. Actually (according to altfg.com), the whole line-up is: Edith Gwynne Wilkerson (wife of Trocadero owner Billy Wilkerson), Jean Harlow, William Powell, William Haines‘ lover Jimmy Shields (standing), Anderson Lawler, unidentified man (standing), Haines, Edith’s sister Marge. (Anderson Lawler was a Paramount Pictures actor and the rumored paramour of Gary Cooper, but I digress.)

P.P.S.
The "unidentified man" is Wm Wilkerson (1890-1962), the owner of the Tracadero. Here he is at the club with Cary Grant
http://www.cirosbooks.com/wp-content..._Wilkerson.jpg
cirosbooks

Besides the Tracadero, Wilkerson owned Vendome and Ciro's. He founded the Hollywood Reporter and the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas.
Wilkerson also owned the Arrowhead Springs Hotel, here photographed by C.C. Pierce in 1938 just to bring that full circle.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-z...21053%2BPM.jpg
eBay

Thx for the great photo e_r

ethereal_reality Nov 26, 2012 2:30 AM

Here are two 1950s slides I found on ebay earlier in the year.

http://imageshack.us/a/img35/8468/aa...naplosange.jpg

I am struck by this dashing young couple. Are they about to be married at City Hall?
The location (a small verdant patch near an overpass ) seems quite odd.




below: The companion slide.

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/5937/a...nap2dogwit.jpg

A little dog with multiple little hats (infrastructure in the background).

Anyone have an idea where these slides were taken? I've tried to figure it out for quite some time.
__

ethereal_reality Nov 26, 2012 2:55 AM

If this vintage William Haines interior doesn't impress you.....

http://imageshack.us/a/img802/9124/aabhainesin2huge.jpg
http://www.williamhaines.com/history

...nothing will. :) At first I thought those little statuettes were 'Oscars', and that this must be Edith Head's living room.
I was wrong on both accounts.


Check out the current 'william haines designs' at
http://www.williamhaines.com/about

austlar1 Nov 26, 2012 3:09 AM

Thanks for the updates and William Haines information. Since I no longer live in LA it is hard for me to browse bookstores where I might find the titles provided by Tovanger. I plan to order online. I lived in LA in the 80s and remember going to the Gaslight (which was seedy as hell) on more than one occasion back then. I remember hanging out somewhere else in the same alley a short time later, or maybe I am thinking about the Spotlight. That does not speak well for my predilictions, but that is another story. I am a 12 stepper these days and no longer hang in such spots. I guess that is a story of redemption or something. I had no idea there was such an interesting history to that little alleyway.

rick m Nov 26, 2012 3:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 5913641)
I added a little more info re the Cosmo Street scene in a P.S. to my last post on page 522. Google will give you a lot more.

"Behind the Screen: How Gays and Lesbians Shaped Hollywood, 1910-1969" by William J. Mann, Penguin Books, 2001 and "Open Secret: Gay Hollywood, 1928-2000" by David Ehrenstein are full of info as is the delightful "Wisecracker: The Life and Times of William Haines, Hollywood's First Openly Gay Star", also by William Mann.

Best site to dig into: martinturnbull.com has a loong page of research "Hollywood Places" - where I dug up more than 40 30s to post WW2 L/G clubs/restaurant haunts.etc. In pursuit especially for "Pansy Craze" material in the 30s - I addnly scoured relevant dated Hollywood Reporters and Variety and Daily Variety over at the Margaret HerrickLibrary - these pieces now reside in newly created file at OneArchives - This is how I found out about the original Pansy emcee Jean Malin-- also do google a bucketload on Rae Bourbon's L.A. career-- breathtaking-- Lavender Los Angeles exhibit downtown in 2010 was largely researched by me as well- Our Arcadia Press tome is on the shelf at Vroman's for the overview- My special walking tour of preStonewall bars downtown was a hoot--that turned up some 24 spots...

ethereal_reality Nov 26, 2012 3:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick m (Post 5913867)
Best site to dig into: martinturnbull.com has a loong page of research "Hollywood Places" - where I dug up more than 40 30s to post WW2 L/G clubs/restaurant haunts.etc. In pursuit especially for "Pansy Craze" material in the 30s - I addnly scoured relevant dated Hollywood Reporters and Variety and Daily Variety over at the Margaret HerrickLibrary - these pieces now reside in newly created file at OneArchives - This is how I found out about the original Pansy emcee Jean Malin-- also do google a bucketload on Rae Bourbon's L.A. career-- breathtaking-- Lavender Los Angeles exhibit downtown in 2010 was largely researched by me as well- Our Arcadia Press tome is on the shelf at Vroman's for the overview- My special walking tour of preStonewall bars downtown was a hoot--that turned up some 24 spots...

Thanks for the information rick_m. I was unaware of the Margaret Herrick Library.

Here is my earlier post on Jean Malin, emcee at the Club New Yorker on Hollywood Boulevard.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8325
__

tovangar2 Nov 26, 2012 4:15 AM

Pico-Union HPOZ
 
The Pico-Union Historic Preservation Overlay Zone (HPOZ) is hot with developers.

This is 957 Beacon before:
http://www.preservation.lacity.org/f.../Beacon957.jpg
COLA Office of Historic Resources

and after:
http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/B...3C_631_421.JPG
loopnet

ethereal_reality Nov 26, 2012 4:20 AM

:previous: Good find T2. :) Below is my earlier post on 957 Beacon, but I didn't have that interesting 'before' photograph.
In my opinion 957 Beacon lost it's character with that unsympathetic remodel. :( Where are the wooden supports under the eaves?
I didn't realize this until I saw your 'before' photo tovanger2


Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 5726179)
Two mansion 'hold outs' at Olympic Boulevard and Beacon Avenue.

http://imageshack.us/a/img521/4950/1...mpicaerial.jpg
google aerial




http://imageshack.us/a/img831/5471/1...vdrosemary.jpg
google street view






http://imageshack.us/a/img684/8057/1707olympicblvd.jpg
google street view





below: The mansion...it's neighbor...and the Rosemary Apartments at far right.

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/5471/1...vdrosemary.jpg
google street view
____


tovangar2 Nov 26, 2012 4:33 AM

The Spotlight
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by austlar1 (Post 5913856)
Thanks for the updates and William Haines information. Since I no longer live in LA it is hard for me to browse bookstores where I might find the titles provided by Tovanger. I plan to order online. I lived in LA in the 80s and remember going to the Gaslight (which was seedy as hell) on more than one occasion back then. I remember hanging out somewhere else in the same alley a short time later, or maybe I am thinking about the Spotlight. That does not speak well for my predilictions, but that is another story. I am a 12 stepper these days and no longer hang in such spots. I guess that is a story of redemption or something. I had no idea there was such an interesting history to that little alleyway.

My business partner got mugged in Cosmo St behind the Gaslight in the 80's, but his trousers were so tight, the mugger couldn't get his wallet out of his pocket(!)
The Spotlight ("Hollywood's Oldest Gay Bar - Est 1963") didn't have an alley. It was in the beautiful Marion Building, 1601 Cahuenga at Selma. The space is now AV Nightclub.
http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...ATER_AV-40.jpg
curbed la

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...1319a9789.jpeg
AV
Interior of the faux-seedy AV Nightclub.
"New Haven for the Exclusive and Elite Encapsulated in Two Letters: AV"
Damn hipsters.

tovangar2 Nov 26, 2012 5:06 AM

957 Beacon and Herrick Library
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 5913900)
:previous: Good find T2. :) Below is my earlier post on 957 Beacon, but I didn't have that interesting 'before' photograph.
I think 957 Beacon lost it's character with the unsympathetic remodel. :(
I didn't realize this until I saw your 'before' photo tovanger2.

I apologize, I somehow missed your earlier post (or maybe I didnt recognize the house). Apart from replacing the shingles and stucco with siding and trashing the front yard (plus losing the eave supports), I don't think the rehabbers did too bad a job. At least it's still there and can always be fixed later. I'm wondering what the inside looks like. Pico-Union houses were going for $100-$150K in the 90's. Now they're $650K.

You've seen the Margaret Herrick Library even if you've never heard of it:
http://www.ala.org/alcts/ano/files/v...libraryext.jpg
ALS
It's in the old Beverly Hills Water Treatment Plant (Salisbury, Bradshaw & Taylor, 1928) on La Cienega and Olympic. The building almost got torn down in 1986 when it was derelict and covered inside and out with graffiti.

Library home page:http://www.oscars.org/library/using/...irections.html

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p...52510%2BPM.jpg
AMPAS

Highlights of the library's collection may be viewed online. The Academy's permanent collection contains more than 10 million photographs, 180,000 film and video assets, 80,000 screenplays, 50,000 posters, 20,000 production and costume design drawings, and 1,400 special collections: http://www.oscars.org/collection-highlights

Three shots from the James Dean Collection:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_...53449%2BPM.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p...53603%2BPM.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-T...53742%2BPM.jpg

pix: AMPAS

ProphetM Nov 26, 2012 8:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 5913823)
Here are two 1950s slides I found on ebay earlier in the year.

http://imageshack.us/a/img35/8468/aa...naplosange.jpg

I am struck by this dashing young couple. Are they about to be married at City Hall?
The location (a small verdant patch near an overpass ) seems quite odd.




below: The companion slide.

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/5937/a...nap2dogwit.jpg

A little dog with multiple little hats (infrastructure in the background).

Anyone have an idea where these slides were taken? I've tried to figure it out for quite some time.
__

That looks like the overpass at Huntington Dr./Mission Rd./Soto St., which was a Pacific Electric route, hence the stairs.

I was there in fall 2011 when I drove all of Route 66 in LA, but I read that the overpass was going to be be torn down - has that happened already?

Google Street View link.

The property at 4241 Huntington is a sort of terraced affair, with a garage building at the street, on a lower level than the house behind it. A small yard sits between the garage and the house. So the slides look to have been taken looking from the house towards the front yard, with the black roof of the garage visible behind the people.

Godzilla Nov 26, 2012 3:55 PM

Church and house on Hollywood Blvd, ca. 1905 Cross street is either Ivar or Cherokee. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=7267
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics39/00039371.jpg
1907
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics16/00007787.jpglapl

East on Hollywood Blvd from Cherokee. Source marks image as '55, more likely circa '24, as indicated on second image.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics26/00032807.jpglapl
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics16/00007813.jpg

1930 - 6646 Hollywood Blvd. - Cherokee Building
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...8MDUTM486J.jpgCalStLib

Hollywood and Cherokee apartments, 1937 (?) Assume complex is north of Hollywood Blvd.
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics42/00070647.jpghttp://jpg3.lapl.org/pics42/00070649.jpglapl

1937 - NW corner Hollywood and Cherokee
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00098/00098558.jpglapl

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...3668808E5?v=hrUSC Digital

Godzilla Nov 26, 2012 3:55 PM

1652 Cherokee Ave http://www.laweekly.com/2000-05-04/n...d-straight-up/


http://blogs.laweekly.com/ladaily/20...5/IMG_7275.jpggooglehttp://www.iamnotastalker.com/wp-con...reenCap488.jpghttp://www.iamnotastalker.com/2011/0...y-hills-90210/

Godzilla Nov 26, 2012 4:07 PM

1912 - Hollywood Blvd. looking west. Unconfirmed that this local is at or near Cherokee. Have seen it before, but uncertain whether it has been posted here.

Overland Dealer
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets.../CHS-8907?v=hrUSC Digital


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.