SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

SDfan Mar 26, 2014 8:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6512220)
Excellent point SDfan, I completely agree that these planning groups could totally screw the future or "Greater Uptown". But aren't developers chomping at the bit to get in there and they have powerful interests. I swear I have been down in Chula Vista a lot lately and I know it isn't hip and happening but it has great coastal weather and really is not that far from downtown at all and there is so much land there that is either totally underused or vacant.

Palomar, Main street exits especially. I think there is big potential there, if developers and people open their mind and some height is allowed to take advantage of views. And there are actually a lot of cool older nabes in the heart of Chula Vista that have good bones.

I'm not sure if you remember, but back before the recession hit, downtown Chula Vista had a proposal for set of twin towers maybe 15 stories high? I can't remember the details, I just remember the community being in an uproar over them. I even remember reading a ridiculous article at the time comparing Chula Vista to Oakland, and how CV shouldn't build high-rises otherwise it would become just like lowly raider nation. It made no sense, but it was a convincing enough argument to get the project shut down.

Now in terms of mid-rise development, I think there might be more leeway down there. But it only takes one bad project to turn an area into a 30ft, 3 story cap zone.

Side note: If anyone is looking for any potential high-rise development outside of downtown SD the only place you should look to is National City. Yes the CV bayfront is happening, and UTC and MV are still there (and I don't count millenia or cevita because those are mid-rise developments), but for something maybe a little more exciting/surprising, look to NC. The city is built out and starving for new development. Before the recession they had two separate towers planned between 15-20 stories. Unfortunately NC is also one of the poorest and undervalued in the county, and it's going to take much longer for them to get their property values to the point where these projects would pencil out.

Outside of that, everywhere else is a no-go. Nope. Nothing. Nada.

Unless someone knows anything I don't...

SDfan Mar 26, 2014 8:43 AM

As for the power of developers, I don't think they carry the same influence they had before, which is good in some ways and bad in others. Developers wrecked parts of this town (MV anyone?) but they also provide the very housing that is the foundation of middle class wealth in our society. I this era of "neighborhoods first" -things are quickly turning against urban and progressive development (so much hate for anything relating to downtown as of late) and carrying a strong NIMBY undertone. These are the same people advocating for increasing parking requirements and down zoning urban neighborhoods. Yikes.

So developers as power players is a little bit of a stretch at the moment. They're not down and out, they're just not able to pull the same sway in the face of more community opposition, regulation, and demands. Hopefully the new administration can keep placating these NIMBY forces, while also getting shiza done.

LosAngelesDreamin Mar 26, 2014 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6512300)
I'm not sure if you remember, but back before the recession hit, downtown Chula Vista had a proposal for set of twin towers maybe 15 stories high? I can't remember the details, I just remember the community being in an uproar over them. I even remember reading a ridiculous article at the time comparing Chula Vista to Oakland, and how CV shouldn't build high-rises otherwise it would become just like lowly raider nation. It made no sense, but it was a convincing enough argument to get the project shut down.

Now in terms of mid-rise development, I think there might be more leeway down there. But it only takes one bad project to turn an area into a 30ft, 3 story cap zone.

Side note: If anyone is looking for any potential high-rise development outside of downtown SD the only place you should look to is National City. Yes the CV bayfront is happening, and UTC and MV are still there (and I don't count millenia or cevita because those are mid-rise developments), but for something maybe a little more exciting/surprising, look to NC. The city is built out and starving for new development. Before the recession they had two separate towers planned between 15-20 stories. Unfortunately NC is also one of the poorest and undervalued in the county, and it's going to take much longer for them to get their property values to the point where these projects would pencil out.

Outside of that, everywhere else is a no-go. Nope. Nothing. Nada.

Unless someone knows anything I don't...

I also believe National City had no height limit around the area?? Correct me if im wrong?

wadams92101 Mar 26, 2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6484199)
I have no idea but I hope it is prep for a building to finally go up there. I'm going downtown probably on Sunday so I'll check it out.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this but the word from CivicSD is "Irvine is doing some interim improvements to the plaza. . . they intend to improve it and add some benches, trellis etc.. for a more useable area"

SDfan Mar 26, 2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesDreamin (Post 6513177)
I also believe National City had no height limit around the area?? Correct me if im wrong?

I do not believe they do. Which would mean they are our only hope. :titanic:

Derek Mar 27, 2014 1:45 AM

Honestly, a new tallest tower in National City is the last thing San Diego needs. How pathetic would the tallest tower in the metro area being located in National City be?

tyleraf Mar 27, 2014 1:53 AM

I hope eventually Lindbergh moves and we get a new tallest in downtown. I do think that Chula Vista and National City would benefit from some nice vertical density though. Also thanks wadams for the response regarding two America plaza. I'm glad that they're at least making the area a little more pedestrian friendly.

spoonman Mar 28, 2014 12:35 AM

Some height in Natty City would be a nice complement to the Chula Vista redevelopment projects, and the new-ish base developments at 32nd St.

SDCAL Mar 28, 2014 7:25 PM

I still think it may be possible to go >500 ft in the SE area of east village.

Many years ago someone posted a map, I'm not sure if it was created by the FAA or the city but it didn't show a blanket height limit downtown. It showed different zones for height limits throughout downtown and it seemed like the SE most area was not under the <500 ft zone.

I wish I could find this map, maybe someone has it or something similar?

I think chances are good we will get a building >500 ft downtown, but it will take:

(1) an influential developer willing to push for it for a desirable project
(2) the city creating an updated height zone map since, as far as I know, the existing ones are over a decade old and pre-date downtown's building boom - also I'm not sure if aviation restrictions have changed since the height limit was enacted
(3) note that if it does happen, it won't be a super tall. We will probably have to start with a battle just to get a building that goes *slightly* above 500 ft then incrementally go up from there.

In any case, I hope this is re-visited soon, the plateau effect on San Diego's skyline is not attractive.

spoonman Mar 28, 2014 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 6516503)
I still think it may be possible to go >500 ft in the SE area of east village.

Many years ago someone posted a map, I'm not sure if it was created by the FAA or the city but it didn't show a blanket height limit downtown. It showed different zones for height limits throughout downtown and it seemed like the SE most area was not under the <500 ft zone.

I wish I could find this map, maybe someone has it or something similar?

I think chances are good we will get a building >500 ft downtown, but it will take:

(1) an influential developer willing to push for it for a desirable project
(2) the city creating an updated height zone map since, as far as I know, the existing ones are over a decade old and pre-date downtown's building boom - also I'm not sure if aviation restrictions have changed since the height limit was enacted
(3) note that if it does happen, it won't be a super tall. We will probably have to start with a battle just to get a building that goes *slightly* above 500 ft then incrementally go up from there.

In any case, I hope this is re-visited soon, the plateau effect on San Diego's skyline is not attractive.

I believe you are correct as far as the compliance with the FAA's wishes. However I recall from the same map that there was a city imposed limit over all of downtown (which is superfluous). The only area I remember being exempt is the blocks leading to Barrio Logan. However that is a problem too as I believe the old and new community plans set low limits in the area.

To your point about factors to pressure the passage of taller buildings, the city could certainly increase heights outside of the airport approach zone in certain parts of southeast downtown.

Bertrice Apr 1, 2014 4:15 AM

great shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5DuMCFfhdo

tyleraf Apr 1, 2014 4:35 AM

Wow! That is an amazing view.

tyleraf Apr 1, 2014 11:16 PM

Wow, I totally missed this but ground was broken last month on the New Courthouse. http://www.cbs8.com/story/24936735/g...ral-courthouse

spoonman Apr 4, 2014 4:05 AM

Here's an article in the UT abut the new LPL Financial tower in University City. The building is the greenest commercially leased building in the U.S. The article also mentions that the last of the 3 towers planned for the site may commence toward the end of the year with a target date of 2016. The building with either be another office tower or hotel.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...t-zero-energy/

tyleraf Apr 4, 2014 4:24 AM

Good article. Im glad office growth is continuing in UTC even though there hasn't been any activity downtown. I'm glad they're about to start on the third tower. I hope it's a hotel, as it would be good for the area. Also, hopefully they opt for a more interesting design for the last tower, it'd be nice to have a signature tower in UTC.

SDCAL Apr 4, 2014 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6522145)
Wow, I totally missed this but ground was broken last month on the New Courthouse. http://www.cbs8.com/story/24936735/g...ral-courthouse

I'm really liking the design of this more and more. That's the first night rendering I've seen of it, I like it.

The video talks about criticism that it's not architecturally interesting, but I think it looks better than many of the planned projects downtown. Sure it could be better but given some of the designs we get I'm just thankful it's not hideous.

Erip Apr 5, 2014 7:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 6526544)
I'm really liking the design of this more and more. That's the first night rendering I've seen of it, I like it.

The video talks about criticism that it's not architecturally interesting, but I think it looks better than many of the planned projects downtown. Sure it could be better but given some of the designs we get I'm just thankful it's not hideous.

Aside from the design, this will also hopefully help activate the dead zone that is C street.

tyleraf Apr 5, 2014 2:40 PM

The developer of The Grove and The Americana malls in Los Angeles, has been buying up land in Carlsbad for their next project. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...mall-proposal/

tyleraf Apr 5, 2014 10:28 PM

Has anyone else noticed that Emerald Plaza hasn't been lit at night for a while? I wonder what's up.

tyleraf Apr 6, 2014 5:19 AM

I saw this in one of the other forums and I thought I would share it here seeing as San Diego has the second highest score for venture capital going into urban set start ups.
Quote:

Originally Posted by josef (Post 6522904)
Speaking of people working in or near dense downtowns, I thought this was an interesting chart. It lays out what percentage of startup venture capital goes toward "urban"-set startups vs suburban ones.

http://cdn.theatlanticcities.com/img...ty%20chart.jpg

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/job...ne-chart/8749/