SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Basketball in Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219504)

WhipperSnapper May 24, 2019 8:06 PM

Well, this isn't for me. It's for the Torontonians that never experienced it.

Acajack May 24, 2019 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 8583627)
I don't either. I didn't say every Canadian. I was also speaking in general terms over Drake specifically. The former ugly thread became a shit show of trashing Canadian celebrities as a loose example in close proximity to this thread.

After more thought, I may have been too broad and should have focused it on multi generation, Southern Ontarians . The apologetic, everyone must love us, attitude is most prevalent here.

I think the answer to the "Why Drake, anyway?" question is probably in this post by Rousseau:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 8583511)
The Knicks have Spike Lee, the Lakers have Jack Nicholson, and the Raps have Drake. The whole showbiz element is part of the NBA, and I'm sure there are lots of fairweather fans attracted to the spectacle like flies to shit.

I've never knowingly or purposely heard music by Drake, but I'll admit to amusement and even a minor ego stroke by the fact that someone so famous is such a demonstrative fan of my team in the manner of Spike and Jack. It adds colour and fun, and until Drake does something worse than Hitler I couldn't care less about his perceived sincerity.

Though is it really plausible that the man has expressed this much dedication and devotion over the years purely as a marketing ploy?

Now for some Canadian-style self-deprecation on my part: A sports writer in Toronto tried to play the sneering urban sophisticate at the news that a Milwaukee radio station was going to ban Drake's music during the playoffs. What could Toronto possibly do in retaliation, Milwaukee being such a bland non-entity?

Christ. Well, first of all, in the arena they play a few bars of the instantly recognizable "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes, a critical favourite from the 1980s. I know it's old, but they're an indelible part of pop culture. Then you've got beer, which the city is known for. Not to mention Harley-Davidson motorcycles. Someone in Toronto could have done something sarcastic to lampoon that without fear of backlash, given that there is probably almost zero overlap in the Venn diagram consisting of hog riders and NBA fans.

Oh, and how about "Happy Days"? You know, one of the most legendary TV shows ever? You could have had Richie and Potsie tossing up airballs at a basketball hoop. You could have done something clever with Fonzie jumping the shark.

To be honest, Toronto should actually be gratified that we have such an instantly recognizable pop culture phenomenon to latch onto, given how paltry the offerings are otherwise. In the previous series the 76ers rang the Liberty Bell before games, fer crissake. What distinction does Toronto have?

"We the North" and Drake. And "North," the best that the Raptors' brain trust could come up with, is kinda sad.

Acajack May 24, 2019 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 8583639)
Well, this isn't for me. It's for the Torontonians that never experienced it.

OK, I now realize I've been reading you wrong.

Hey! Maybe that's the source of our long-standing misunderstanding over the years? :haha:

WhipperSnapper May 24, 2019 8:21 PM

I couldn't care less about why Drake. I'm happy to keep the conversation on him though. Sport without superstition is a lot less fan focused.

I'm indifferent to him being the team's mascot and The Six's ambassador. I'm certainly not gracious because he became the team's mascot and The Six's ambassador. It's a slap to the face to say Torontonians should be.

Acajack May 24, 2019 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 8583663)
I couldn't care less about why Drake. I'm happy to keep the conversation on him though. Sport without superstition is a lot less fan focused.

I'm indifferent to him being the team's mascot and The Six's ambassador. I'm certainly not gracious because he became the team's mascot and The Six's ambassador. It's a slap to the face to say Torontonians should be.

Whip, is there any hope for us? Do you think we can reconcile? ;)

WhipperSnapper May 24, 2019 9:21 PM

I think you're getting off topic. I don't see the connection between reconciliation and Drake being a superfluous , contemporary city motto produced by an ad agency. Why Drake? He asked. The History Channel would need to be institutionalized producing an hour long episode of Drake Erased.

Reconciliation? Ha!

JHikka May 24, 2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8583472)
Nav is the real deal. Reportedly spends over $300,000 each year sending underprivileged kids to Raps games, and buying gear to give away.

"I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I don’t womanize – I only Raptorize"

Nav the truest sports fan in Canada. :tup:

blueandgoldguy May 24, 2019 11:30 PM

Pleasantly surprised by the victory last night. Only one more win and they're in!

TorontoDrew May 25, 2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 8583720)

Reconciliation? Ha!

I feel like you and I have.😉

rousseau May 25, 2019 1:10 AM

Do great minds think alike, or is the truth just obvious to everyone? Here's a guy echoing what I've been saying. I swear I only just read this now.

Quote:

The Kawhi side of this, though, I am straight up stunned by how good he is and his ability to slow down Giannis. The one guy who has basically been impossible to stop the entire season and then Kawhi switches on to him in Games 3 and 4 and then again in Game 5—and Pascal Siakam did a great job too. And look, the Raptors have a couple former Defensive Players of the Year guys. Their entire starting five is great on defense so it's not just Kawhi, but Kawhi’s ability on that end, and then to couple that with what he's doing on offense, is just mind blowing. And it's something that I expected to see maybe once or twice in this series, but never in a million years would I have expected him to come in and just own this series the way he has. He has been the best player on either team. It has not been close. I expected it to be at least close between him and Giannis, but it has not been close.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/05/24/nb...eonard-podcast

Dr Awesomesauce May 25, 2019 3:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 8583583)
No, I'm saying that in baseball the tradition is not to mention a potential no-hitter when it's happening because you might jinx it. Play-by-play commentators included.

Yeah, that's mostly for players and coaches. As for commentators, they tend to shut up after things start getting serious ie the 6th inning or thereabouts.

Anyway, yay Raptors!

isaidso May 25, 2019 10:51 AM

Video Link

WhipperSnapper May 25, 2019 3:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 8583865)
I feel like you and I have.😉

It's the ardent protectionism of French in Quebec that we will never see eye to eye on. (and a little bit of superiority towards the self proclaimed "English Canada"). Other cultures haven't lost their identity adjusting to the world economy and Quebec's French economy isn't self reliant as a perennial have not province. So what is? I don't think it's a lack of confidence in Quebec culture. Perhaps it's the stranglehold bilingualism has on federal governance and policy. We are a massive geographical region with two languages. (in simplest terms) We are not bilingual. Logically, learning English in Quebec is more beneficial to one's career than learning French in British Columbia. It creates a political advantage.

Acajack May 25, 2019 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 8584275)
It's the ardent protectionism of French in Quebec that we will never see eye to eye on. (and a little bit of superiority towards the self proclaimed "English Canada"). Other cultures haven't lost their identity adjusting to the world economy and Quebec's French economy isn't self reliant as a perennial have not province. So what is? I don't think it's a lack of confidence in Quebec culture. Perhaps it's the stranglehold bilingualism has on federal governance and policy. We are a massive geographical region with two languages. (in simplest terms) We are not bilingual. Logically, learning English in Quebec is more beneficial to one's career than learning French in British Columbia. It creates a political advantage.

Did you respond to the wrong poster?

Anyway you went further than I or anyone else was asking for.

suburbanite May 25, 2019 8:16 PM

Weather's cleared up for the potential biggest moment in franchise history. Jurrasic Park will be crazy tonight. Wouldn't be surprised if the line is starting soon.

suburbanite May 25, 2019 10:17 PM

Spoke too soon about the weather but it's not deterring anyone. Just walked home from the office and the line is starting outside of Union Station....

at Bay and Front...

Meaning it's at least a couple thousand people long wrapping all the way around the ACC.

Edit: https://streamable.com/v8fzx

suburbanite May 26, 2019 3:12 AM

First finals appearance for Toronto big 3 team since 93. They absolutely battled for every game during the comeback.

Berklon May 26, 2019 3:13 AM

Who the North? Tell me, who?!

WE THE NORTH!!

MonkeyRonin May 26, 2019 3:25 AM

King of the north! King of the north!

https://i.imgur.com/JDJOHQz.png

rousseau May 26, 2019 3:45 AM

Feeling really emotional right now. It's like a dream.