SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

eburress Feb 9, 2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mt_climber13 (Post 8466587)
Hey all new here, sorry to hijack the thread but this is probably one of the best places on the internet to ask.

I’ll be moving to San Diego in months and looking for insights on neighborhoods to move. I want something pretty affordable (no more than $2,000 for 2 bedroom) and also moving with 2 large dogs so a small yard is necessary. Will be working on the navy base so something within biking distance and light rail access to downtown. Want to live close to water where it’s cooler and don’t have to use AC much.

What are some realistic options? Chula Vista seems to be a pretty decent working class town with everything I’m looking for. Only heard bad things about national city but that was several years ago. Balboa park would be ideal but probably out of my price range.

Also, how is the rail system throughout SD? Looking at the map it looks pretty impressive, even more so than San Francisco. Does it have a frequent schedule? Does it go places you’d actually want or need to go? Or is it more a novelty?

Thanks in advance

I happen to like Golden Hill, Southpark, and if it's not too far for you, Pt. Lomas a lot. They're all more my speed than National City or Chula Vista. You might also have some luck in Banker's Hill, but it's been a while since I've looked at rents there.

The rail system works pretty well for events but it doesn't yet go where most people need it to go. Hopefully its usefulness will increase with its current expansion.

CaliNative Feb 9, 2019 8:13 AM

North County

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 8467111)
I happen to like Golden Hill, Southpark, and if it's not too far for you, Pt. Lomas a lot. They're all more my speed than National City or Chula Vista. You might also have some luck in Banker's Hill, but it's been a while since I've looked at rents there.

The rail system works pretty well for events but it doesn't yet go where most people need it to go. Hopefully its usefulness will increase with its current expansion.

Some of the North County cities are (relatively) more affordable. Not Del Mar or Solana Beach, but places like Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos, Escondido and even a few parts of Carlsbad. For affordable beach towns, Oceanside is (relatively) cheap; in south county there is Imperial Beach, but they frequently have sewage spills from overflows from Tijuana so the beach is unusable lots of the time. Before you rent or buy, research crime and homelessness. In some of the towns, it is an annoyance or worse. But in general, the San Diego area is somewhat safer than most big cities. If you like cool ocean breezes and overcast weather in summer ("May Gray", "June Gloom"), try to live within 5 miles or so of the coast. If you like summer heat and lots of sun, go inland.

As far as rail transit goes, the Coaster commuter rail has pretty frequent train service from Oceanside to San Diego. Bus service is widespread and frequent, but often slow because of traffic. The Sprinter light rail connects Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos and Escondido. The San Diego trolley (light rail) connects many of the south and east county communities, but will only extend significantly northward in 2021, when the extension to La Jolla and UCSD opens. There are no current plans to extend the trolley north beyond this point, but the Coaster train (and Amtrak) does make the connection. If you want to learn more about light rail service in the area, go to Wikipedia.com and type in "Coaster Commuter Rail", "San Diego Trolley" and "Sprinter light rail".

HurricaneHugo Feb 11, 2019 4:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 8465813)
I would have thought continuing the line from UTC and finally breaking into the north county down the jammed up 5 and ending in Oceanside would get the highest ridership of any new lines unless the thought is to leave the entire north county orphaned from the trolley due to the coaster line?

Kind of idiotic if the trolley is San Diego’s Key mass transit system into the future and they are going to ignore a large portion of its population base. The latest option of expansion of the 5 (the minimum version) is telling on how residents here view any future freeway expansions and the coaster although kind of solid is not the future unless they can add more Key stop points, get it faster and have a better plan in place if you need to go somewhere besides the coast line.

Way to go in ignoring nearly a million of your residents....:uhh:

I don't think expanding the trolley up the 5 is even on the 2050 plan?

Would alleviate some of the gigantic bottleneck there.

HurricaneHugo Feb 11, 2019 4:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mt_climber13 (Post 8466587)
Hey all new here, sorry to hijack the thread but this is probably one of the best places on the internet to ask.

I’ll be moving to San Diego in months and looking for insights on neighborhoods to move. I want something pretty affordable (no more than $2,000 for 2 bedroom) and also moving with 2 large dogs so a small yard is necessary. Will be working on the navy base so something within biking distance and light rail access to downtown. Want to live close to water where it’s cooler and don’t have to use AC much.

What are some realistic options? Chula Vista seems to be a pretty decent working class town with everything I’m looking for. Only heard bad things about national city but that was several years ago. Balboa park would be ideal but probably out of my price range.

Also, how is the rail system throughout SD? Looking at the map it looks pretty impressive, even more so than San Francisco. Does it have a frequent schedule? Does it go places you’d actually want or need to go? Or is it more a novelty?

Thanks in advance

By yourself or with family?

Look into Golden Hill and Sherman Heights and South Park.

I don't think CV or Point Loma is biking distance from the base.

Then again I'm out of shape...

Nerv Feb 11, 2019 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8469084)
I don't think expanding the trolley up the 5 is even on the 2050 plan?

Would alleviate some of the gigantic bottleneck there.

Also little has been done to improve on the coaster which gets singled out as a transit success. Yes they have been double tracking along the coast which may help it’s arrival times in the future but it’s still lacking in missed opportunities for new stations.

Are you going to tell me adding just 2 new stations (1 at the Del Mar Fairgrounds and 1 near UTC) wouldn’t help increase its ridership by a fair amount?

Lots of talk but as of yet no serious planning.

The lack of a coaster stop at the Del Mar Fairgrounds and a SD Airport Trolley link are probably two of the greatest missed opportunities in San Diego County transit right now.

mt_climber13 Feb 12, 2019 5:45 PM

Thanks for your responses, I really like the Pt. loma ocean beach areas. Oceanside too far and too expensive to commute. Hopefully be in SD this summer (only been there briefly a couple of timesj :tup:

staplesla Feb 12, 2019 8:54 PM

OliverMcMillan's Harbor Island hotel project is dead in the water

In an unexpected twist of events, developer OliverMcMillan has walked away from a $361-million plan to build hundreds of hotel rooms and an urban village on prime, waterfront real estate opposite San Diego’s airport.

Wednesday, the developer formally exited a contract with the Port of San Diego, which owns and manages the East Harbor Island site.

The surprise change in plans brings to a halt a years-long process to redevelop the Harbor Drive parcel that was once the home base for rental car companies Hertz, Avis and National Rent-a-Car (the businesses have since moved to the airport’s Rental Car Center garage on Pacific Highway). A portion of the site had also served as the former staging lot for airport taxicabs, and the area in question still includes the district’s Harbor Police Department headquarters.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...207-story.html

staplesla Feb 13, 2019 12:55 AM

The Plaza de Panama Plan is on Hiatus

A controversial plan to clear cars from Balboa Park’s central mesa is on hold.

Philanthropist Irwin Jacobs, who has long championed the Plaza de Panama project, said this week that philanthropists have halted fundraising efforts necessary to get the project to the finish line after three construction bids each came in at least $20 million higher than earlier estimates for the project.

“There is an excellent plan for how to proceed, but the costs are a little too high at this point,” Jacobs said.

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...-is-on-hiatus/

HurricaneHugo Feb 13, 2019 6:15 AM

This city....

Will O' Wisp Feb 13, 2019 7:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8472088)
This city....

Economy is slowing down, material costs are on the rise, and employment is still at an all time low. A lot of projects that were proposed 2-3 years ago and got held back in litigation don't make economic sense anymore. Real shame.

I'm sure something will get built on Harbor Island as soon as the money starts flowing again, but with Irwin Jacobs pushing into his 80s the Plaza de Panama project will have lost its strongest supporter by the time this all blows over. Will take a lot longer for it to find its legs again, if at all.

mello Feb 14, 2019 12:42 AM

Calling Joseph Tsai for Balboa Park!!

I know that Ali Baba stock is down but I think he will eventually bring a new arena to the site behind PetCo and he is still worth 10 billion. He should pitch in the 30 or 40 million and ingratiate himself to the community. (To those that don't know he is Ali Baba CEO and his wife and children live in La Jolla and he owns the new indoor lacrosse team Seals).

Oliver MacMillan Harbor Island: You already have the Sunroad project on the nicer part of Harbor Island (open to wide expanse of the bay not in that little nook) moving forward with 500 rooms. You have Manchester PacGateway, and eventually Seaport Village redo. I think there is already so much coming in the pipeline that it might get too saturated. More and more hotel rooms are coming to downtown, and hotels on harbor dr next to airport are wrapping up soon.

I don't think this is a huge loss, they wanted to make it some kind of mixed use urban thing without housing.. Bleh retail is totally changing, notice how all the stuff at BallPark Village is sitting empty? Manchester project and Seaport Village will have retail so I don't think retail would have worked on Harbor Island anyway.

sandiego_urban Feb 15, 2019 1:41 AM

You all ready for a new tallest building outside of downtown? In North Park of all places! El Cajon Blvd? Someone showed me an Instagram post from Jonathan Segal on 12/30/18. In it, he says he hopes to break ground this Fall. I counted 30-31 floors.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7900/...f1f754d1_c.jpg

His comment about it being under construction in Fall 2019.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7866/...292f7934ce.jpg

spoonman Feb 15, 2019 6:55 AM

Wow, that’s awesome

gillynova Feb 15, 2019 11:30 PM

Hopefully that gets built!

IconRPCV Feb 16, 2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 8471805)
A controversial plan to clear cars from Balboa Park’s central mesa is on hold.

Philanthropist Irwin Jacobs, who has long championed the Plaza de Panama project, said this week that philanthropists have halted fundraising efforts necessary to get the project to the finish line after three construction bids each came in at least $20 million higher than earlier estimates for the project.

“There is an excellent plan for how to proceed, but the costs are a little too high at this point,” Jacobs said.

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...-is-on-hiatus/

Seriously, one man's attention gathering litigation against this project causes an amazing project to get cancelled, this pisses me off.

embora Feb 22, 2019 4:23 AM

At today's East Village Resident Group meeting the developer of 7th and Market/Ritz Carlton said he's had some good meetings regarding securing financing, and he thinks he is close to securing it. He suggested he could make an announcement in the next 30 days, and if that's the case, he could also start construction by the end of 2019.

He added that the development would have a Gelson's Market, rather than Whole Foods. I want to say someone already posted the news about Gelson's on this thread.

Nv_2897 Feb 23, 2019 7:12 AM

Credit to @the_drysdale_team on instagram for the photos

Heres an update on the seaport village redevelopment and how it will ultimately affect the skyline im pretty sure Seaport San San Diego will unveil the photos on their site soon. The spire looks iconic and looks pretty unique. The entire project looks very organic and freeform it gives me Zaha Hadid vibes

https://i.imgur.com/qYobJ0q.png
https://i.imgur.com/Do2krir.png
https://i.imgur.com/OFAcciQ.png
https://i.imgur.com/z3w5chp.png

Steadfast Feb 23, 2019 7:53 AM

If the spire is built as illustrated, it will absolutely redefine the SD skyline... Nice find!

plutonicpanda Feb 23, 2019 8:30 AM

This would be incredible. Hoping it happens!

eburress Feb 23, 2019 3:31 PM

That's by far the best of these Seaport Village renderings I've seen. Hope it happens!