SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

J_Murphy Jul 21, 2014 1:20 PM

Does anyone know whatever happend to Banana Republic that was supposed to open on White Rose Drive?

Arrakis Jul 21, 2014 3:56 PM

That strip of stores is still only half completed so perhaps its planned for the second half of the building whenever that starts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6662883)
Does anyone know whatever happend to Banana Republic that was supposed to open on White Rose Drive?

Arrakis Jul 21, 2014 7:15 PM

Was down at stavanger today and noticed that the corner lot next to RONA on white rose drive in the Harvey power centre is under construction. Anyone got any info as to what it might be? Industrial or retail?

Horsell Jul 22, 2014 11:08 AM

I think it is going to be a small office building, two or three stories. Not sure why or for whom but I think that's what it is.

CaspinK Jul 25, 2014 12:24 AM

Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but A Special Touch in the Avalon Mall closed. Leaving a fairly big (3500 sq feet) opening.

Robg Jul 25, 2014 3:45 AM

Sephora is still planning on opening a location in the Avalon.They are taking over the space currently occupied by Bootlegger,Rikki's and that other woman's store. Bootlegger will move to the space occupied by Bogart's and Calendar club, Bogart's is moving around the corner where Northern Reflections is and Rikki's and the other store will be moving to stavanger. Just found that out today from Bootlegger cause they own that block of stores downstairs.

Arrakis Jul 25, 2014 1:00 PM

Here is amy little rant and opinion on the state of Avalon Mall. Enjoy.

Avalon Mall needs to totally rethink its layout and size. They need to expand and have a lot more space to offer potential new tenants. Especially with all the big box centres opening around town and metro. They should have a second floor added all the way down to Sears. If you look at some of the malls in the Toronto area, you'll notice they are all doing major upgrades to appeal to new tenants such as Nordstrum and other US retailers that are venturing into Canada.

They also need to update the mall's look. Its stuck in the 80's in style, (if you wanna call it that). Very little natural light gets in. Feels very drab most of the time like those underground subway malls in Toronto. Outside, it's a terrible hodge lodge of styles from 60's to the 90's, going off in every direction. And that horrible looking stonework on Sears exterior facade has been there since 1967 when the mall first opened. Time for that to go. Though Sears days are numbered I think and it will likely disappear in the very near future too if it keeps going in the direction it's going (downward spiral). The Mall needs to be ready for this and have plan in place to offer potential new tenants, especially if they lose Sears, their only huge major tenant. (though Winners/Homesense is a pretty big space too).

Avalon mall is in a unique position here, as it's one of the few places where an enclosed mall works well for the community, where everywhere else in the country they seem to be disappearing. I guess weather has a factor here too. Also, people travel from many communities outside the city to shop at the Mall so it serves more than just the people of St. John's. They have a good thing going but I don't think they even know it. Hopefully some day, someone will be smart enough to realize what they got and improve upon it.

statbass Jul 25, 2014 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6668892)
Here is amy little rant and opinion on the state of Avalon Mall. Enjoy.

Avalon Mall needs to totally rethink its layout and size. They need to expand and have a lot more space to offer potential new tenants. Especially with all the big box centres opening around town and metro. They should have a second floor added all the way down to Sears. If you look at some of the malls in the Toronto area, you'll notice they are all doing major upgrades to appeal to new tenants such as Nordstrum and other US retailers that are venturing into Canada.

They also need to update the mall's look. Its stuck in the 80's in style, (if you wanna call it that). Very little natural light gets in. Feels very drab most of the time like those underground subway malls in Toronto. Outside, it's a terrible hodge lodge of styles from 60's to the 90's, going off in every direction. And that horrible looking stonework on Sears exterior facade has been there since 1967 when the mall first opened. Time for that to go. Though Sears days are numbered I think and it will likely disappear in the very near future too if it keeps going in the direction it's going (downward spiral). The Mall needs to be ready for this and have plan in place to offer potential new tenants, especially if they lose Sears, their only huge major tenant. (though Winners/Homesense is a pretty big space too).

Avalon mall is in a unique position here, as it's one of the few places where an enclosed mall works well for the community, where everywhere else in the country they seem to be disappearing. I guess weather has a factor here too. Also, people travel from many communities outside the city to shop at the Mall so it serves more than just the people of St. John's. They have a good thing going but I don't think they even know it. Hopefully some day, someone will be smart enough to realize what they got and improve upon it.

I completely agree with you here, Arrakis!

J_Murphy Jul 29, 2014 11:16 AM

Interesting read about shopping mall expansion...

Quote:

While big box retailers like Target have struggled to get a foothold in Canadian markets, demand for luxury retailers is strong and fuelling massive expansion projects at shopping malls across the country.

According to research by commercial real estate company CBRE Group, more luxury retailers are predicted to arrive in Canada, albeit at a more moderate pace compared to the flurry of activity seen in the last three years.

The aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis and recession spurred a boom in retail development with foreign retailers, primarily American ones, turning their sights to Canada and construction hasn’t kept up with demand.

There is little to no vacancy in highly sought after shopping centres and neighbourhoods, according to CBRE’s head researcher Ross Moore.

“We just don’t have empty retail to speak of. Across the country malls are generally full. If you’re a Spanish or Italian or U.S. retailer, you are going to be put off by that. Supply is the key. Until we build more that’s going to be a challenge.”

The study, which measured the number and type of retailers that set up shop in 2013, found that luxury and high-end fashion brands constitute the majority of new arrivals in Canada.

Newcomers in the jewellery, designer fashion and accessories categories are driving the demand for additional retail space.

In the cities, where most of Canada’s top income earners reside, construction cranes are busy piecing together the new extensions: In Vancouver, the Pacific and Oakridge Centres are getting bigger (adding 578,000-square-feet and 373,000-square-feet respectively); Calgary’s Chinook Centre is expanding (140,000-square-feet) as well as Ottawa’s Rideau Centre (230,000-square-feet).

In Toronto, top-tier malls Yorkdale and Sherway Gardens are simultaneously undergoing multi-million dollar expansions to accommodate new anchor tenant, the upscale U.S. department store Nordstrom.

For Yorkdale, it’s the second expansion in four years. In 2012, the mall underwent a $220-million renovation, adding 145,000-square-feet to its footprint. The new wing, set to open in 2016, will add 298,000-square-feet.

Claire Santamaria, Yorkdale’s general manager, says the mall’s location at the edge of the city means there’s ample space to grow.

“We have the real estate to offer and we’re able to create the units and the co-tenancies that they like and that’s the advantage of having a new development project.

“We’re creating a retail environment for retailers to be successful. On Bloor Street, because there are multiple ownership structures, that’s a lot harder to do,” says Santamaria.

Moore predicts that malls in major markets will keep seeking opportunities to expand, but construction will level off to a more steady pace in coming years as developers and supply chains need time to adjust to the influx of brands.

He adds that shopping centres in major urban centres focused on becoming retail “destinations” will continue to court niche luxury boutiques by reconfiguring existing space once occupied by retailers like Sears Canada, which shuttered several of its flagship stores this year, including its locations in the Eaton Centre and Yorkdale.

While stagnant wages, inflation and consumer debt have kept many shoppers just browsing, the appetite of well-heeled shoppers for luxury goods has been healthier.

“Certain income bands continue to grow more robustly than the rest. If you’re a luxury retailer you don’t care if sales have been growing by one per cent, you’re only interested in the top two per cent of the population and that group’s doing fairly well by and large,” says Moore.

Canadian malls also tend to be more productive than American ones, with sales per square foot averaging C$600 versus C$450 in the U.S.

Tourism dollars have also made an impact on sales.

“Certainly on the West Coast, Vancouver in particular, Asian tourism is very important. Luxury retailers aren’t there to service Vancouverites they’re in Vancouver to serve primarily Asian tourists and that is their market,” says Moore.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...-wealthiest/1#

Arrakis Jul 29, 2014 12:52 PM

Yeah, I read that article this morning in the National Post.
The owners of Avalon Mall should read it too. Thanks for posting it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6673098)
Interesting read about shopping mall expansion...

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...-wealthiest/1#

J_Murphy Jul 29, 2014 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6673118)
Yeah, I read that article this morning in the National Post.
The owners of Avalon Mall should read it too. Thanks for posting it.

..and even the owners of the Village. They have plenty of room for expansion, that back parking lot is barely even half utililized from what I've seen.

Arrakis Jul 29, 2014 6:29 PM

I don't even consider the Village as a viable mall anymore since Sears, Walmart and many other popular tenants left. It's really cheapened. The owners (plaza corp) screwed up big time by leasing out a large chunk of their retail space for offices and call centre. They should of divided up Walmart former space to accommodate a lot of other stores but they gave most of the upper floor to a call centre and crappy Dollarama. And the two huge stores downstairs are a complete waste of valuable floor space. I rarely ever see any more than 4 or 5 customers in Urban Planet and Labels. Total waste of space. And Rosey is no better at the other end. A huge space and a totally crappy store. Plus they still have a large unused space behind Rossey but eliminated the back entrance that Sears use to have. Last time I checked their website, that unused space had Home Hareware listed as the tenant. Probably just a warehouse. Just poor flow everywhere and bad tenant decisions.

QUOTE=J_Murphy;6673267]..and even the owners of the Village. They have plenty of room for expansion, that back parking lot is barely even half utililized from what I've seen.[/QUOTE]

Horsell Jul 29, 2014 7:39 PM

I would have to agree that the Village has certainly gone down hill in the past ten years or whenever it was that Walmart left. In its “hayday” there were three decent anchors, Sears, WalMart(Woolco) and the Dominion supermarket. There was enough variety to make it somewhat of a destination but now it is more or less a low end discount “destinatation”. Ironically Walmart came back to the neighborhood a few years ago, across the street in the old Zellers location.

The Village would make a great case study for a business course for how to revitalize a decent retail location. Possible options, drop Rosy and Dollarama, open Bed Bath and Beyond up to the Mall concourse, get The Bay, attract an “upscale” food market, relocate the theatres from Mt. Pearl Plaza…to start. Plan B…bulldoze it…lol.

wardo44 Aug 1, 2014 6:37 PM

Bass Pro or Cabela's in YYT?

Bass Pro has long been rumoured, but is apparently now on the way for Moncton.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...-bass-pro-shop

You have to think that one of BP or Cabela's will make the jump to YYT at some point. Any thoughts on which one would be preferred? Thoughts on sites? I think that this kind of anchor would be perfect for the retail sometimes discussed south of Harbour Arterial & Ruth Ave.

Arrakis Aug 11, 2014 9:52 PM

New store coming to the Village Shopping Centre. Warehouse One: The Jean Store.
Noticed the application on the St. John's website. You can check them out at www.warehouseone.com

LordNezazor Aug 16, 2014 4:34 PM

Took a picture of the construction of the Infinity St.johns car dealership.( I think that is what it is. I only go to the capital twice a year on average. If I am wrong could somebody who is more familiar with the location of this, correct me. LOL.http://i.imgur.com/LjJZRvf.jpg?1)

Arrakis Aug 17, 2014 12:27 AM

Yes, it is indeed the new Infiniti dealership. They had a billboard post on site originally showing an artists rendering of it.

QUOTE=LordNezazor;6693607]Took a picture of the construction of the Infinity St.johns car dealership.( I think that is what it is. I only go to the capital twice a year on average. If I am wrong could somebody who is more familiar with the location of this, correct me. LOL.http://i.imgur.com/LjJZRvf.jpg?1)[/QUOTE]

Arrakis Aug 18, 2014 3:24 PM

Was down Hebron Way yesterday. Things seem to be progressing well for the new retail stores and restaurants there. Here is a show though of the finished parking lot (with wheelchair spots) for the Cineplex Theatre complex. Notice something missing? LOL

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...75746716_n.jpg

Arrakis Aug 18, 2014 3:26 PM

The new Canadian Tire store is quickly getting exterior walls. Sorry for the small pic size.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...e0&oe=5477FDCA

Arrakis Aug 20, 2014 2:46 AM

Just noticed that Us chain, Marshall's dept store has now opened in every province in Canada except PEI and Newfoundland. Anyone hear if they plan on opening here? Seems like a natural choice to open here as well with our booming retail market. They are owned by TJX which also owns Winners and TJ Maxx. Lots of space at the Harvey or Field Power Centres.