SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

wmemeadusjr Feb 9, 2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy123 (Post 8078805)
Hello, long time lurker, first post!
I hope they can get the design of those Walmart sorted out in the remodel. I prefer the design attached just because it is centred, even if it is a bit outdated. I like the design of topsail better just because at least it's centred. Hopefully the other departments of the stores are expanded too! I've seen sometimes the mcdonalds is removed when Walmart remodels, hopefully this doesn't happen to Kelsey or Mt Pearl because it's a bit of a drive to get to McDonalds from those locations.
Also, didn't see it posted here but dollarama on rope walk is open, and it seems like the one in the old dominion/home hardware on topsail is open as well.https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api...57881722971382
Also apparently the rules say I need to credit the images so this was found on Google Earth.



Many of the Walmart Supercentre renos on the mainland have an extension built on to the building and a second entrance. The grocery section is on one side and clothing and general merchandise on the other with the checkouts in the space between the two entrances. From what I've heard, there will be no extensions to our Walmarts. The former Tire & Auto Centre will provide a little extra space as well as the elimination of under performing departments such as Paint. The rest will just be compressed a little. The McDonald's will remain and the Bakery will be near McDonald's and Fresh Departments along that side wall.

techguy123 Feb 10, 2018 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8079196)
Many of the Walmart Supercentre renos on the mainland have an extension built on to the building and a second entrance. The grocery section is on one side and clothing and general merchandise on the other with the checkouts in the space between the two entrances. From what I've heard, there will be no extensions to our Walmarts. The former Tire & Auto Centre will provide a little extra space as well as the elimination of under performing departments such as Paint. The rest will just be compressed a little. The McDonald's will remain and the Bakery will be near McDonald's and Fresh Departments along that side wall.

Well that's just dissapointing, especially seeing as there seems to be room for expansion at Kelsey and Stavanger. I checked out Google Street View of a Walmart in Halifax and saw what you're talking about on there (you can switch the date you view a building from on there). There were a couple that looked like our Walmart stores in 2009 but when I went to a more recent date, they looked like actual Supercenters.

Sox Feb 14, 2018 12:16 PM

Anyone who has travelled to other parts of the US and Canada know that our Walmart's here in NL barely qualify as an actual Walmart, let alone a Walmart Superstore !

Not expanding the actual square footage of the stores, and just cramming in more departments , does not make these Superstores.

All it will do is create an even more frustrating experience for people trying to shop there. It's bad enough now trying to get in and out of Walmart, with these changes coming, its going to multiple the frustration.

I wonder how many extra staff will be on the floors when all the changes occur ? Let me make an educated guess, and say ZERO !

wmemeadusjr Feb 14, 2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 8085085)
Anyone who has travelled to other parts of the US and Canada know that our Walmart's here in NL barely qualify as an actual Walmart, let alone a Walmart Superstore !

Not expanding the actual square footage of the stores, and just cramming in more departments , does not make these Superstores.

All it will do is create an even more frustrating experience for people trying to shop there. It's bad enough now trying to get in and out of Walmart, with these changes coming, its going to multiple the frustration.

I wonder how many extra staff will be on the floors when all the changes occur ? Let me make an educated guess, and say ZERO !



You are right indeed. ....On every point.

techguy123 Feb 15, 2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 8085085)
Anyone who has travelled to other parts of the US and Canada know that our Walmart's here in NL barely qualify as an actual Walmart, let alone a Walmart Superstore !

Not expanding the actual square footage of the stores, and just cramming in more departments , does not make these Superstores.

All it will do is create an even more frustrating experience for people trying to shop there. It's bad enough now trying to get in and out of Walmart, with these changes coming, its going to multiple the frustration.

I wonder how many extra staff will be on the floors when all the changes occur ? Let me make an educated guess, and say ZERO !

Yes! Just because you have fruit and meat doesn't make it a real supercenter, real supercentres are actually super sized and have everything you need. Walmart has plenty of money, can't they afford to build on a section? There's a reason that the other three Walmart are busier than the topsail road location. We want big Walmarts with big selection!
When I heard the news about supercentres coming I was hoping for a mainland style Walmart with two entrances and basically a huge Walmart with a full grocery store attached. Not what we're supposed to be getting!

techguy123 Feb 15, 2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBSNewbie (Post 8074839)
I'm new to the area and have been following these threads for a couple of years. Here is the URL for Walmart Renovations – 3196 (Aberdeen Ave, St. John’s).
http://www.olympic-construction.nf.c...rt_renovation/

What did this say? When I try to download it it just says files have been deleted. :shrug:

jthetzel Feb 16, 2018 11:40 AM

The Churchill Square Dominion will be demolished and redeveloped, according to the allNewfoundlandLabrador (paywall: https://www.allnewfoundlandlabrador....ate=2018-02-16).

Sheilagh O'Leary is quoted, "I can't say who because I could actually mess it up, but I'm optimistic the application will be very positive for the area... Obviously this development agreement would entail that building coming down."

techguy123 Feb 16, 2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthetzel (Post 8087840)
The Churchill Square Dominion will be demolished and redeveloped, according to the allNewfoundlandLabrador (paywall: https://www.allnewfoundlandlabrador....ate=2018-02-16).

Sheilagh O'Leary is quoted, "I can't say who because I could actually mess it up, but I'm optimistic the application will be very positive for the area... Obviously this development agreement would entail that building coming down."

I can't read the article cause I'm not subscribed. Did it say what the building would become?

Arrakis Feb 16, 2018 7:21 PM

If Loblaws still own the building, I am guessing they would build a new much larger Shoppers Drug Mart there and close the small one in the Terrace on The Sqare building. Would make sense with MUN residences being next door. They would be able to sell much more grocery items with a larger drug store there.

Anyone know if Loblaws still own that property?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthetzel (Post 8087840)
The Churchill Square Dominion will be demolished and redeveloped, according to the allNewfoundlandLabrador (paywall: https://www.allnewfoundlandlabrador....ate=2018-02-16).

Sheilagh O'Leary is quoted, "I can't say who because I could actually mess it up, but I'm optimistic the application will be very positive for the area... Obviously this development agreement would entail that building coming down."


rthomasd Feb 16, 2018 9:49 PM

Yes, Loblaw still own it. Deluxe Drycleaner is moving to the other side of the Square into one of the now-vacant newly renovated areas from the damage last year, so the whole thing down to the Scotiabank is to be demolished.

Shoppers were supposed to be doing a complete rebuild of the store at Freshwater/Empire, don't know if they want two large stores within a Km or so of each other.

jthetzel Feb 16, 2018 11:27 PM

Would be wonderful if a Home Hardware moved in. Imagine, a hardware store conveniently located to the Churchill Park neighbourhood. How luxurious and practical.

techguy123 Feb 17, 2018 12:37 AM

I'm personally hoping for a grocery store. Maybe Loblaws could open up a No Frills there? Or a Colemans maybe.

Arrakis Feb 17, 2018 6:49 PM

Well we can be guaranteed that it won’t become a Coleman’s as long as Loblaws still owns the property.

My bet is still a Shoppers Drug Mart.

Time will tell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy123 (Post 8088833)
I'm personally hoping for a grocery store. Maybe Loblaws could open up a No Frills there? Or a Colemans maybe.


Marty_Mcfly Feb 18, 2018 2:48 AM

I wouldn't be so certain about that. Remember that Loblaws owned the property which is now the Newfoundland Drive Colemans. As well, Shoppers is building a new store on Freshwater Road; I'd be very surprised if they also build a new store literally 2 minutes away.

jthetzel Feb 18, 2018 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 8089712)
I wouldn't be so certain about that. Remember that Loblaws owned the property which is now the Newfoundland Drive Colemans. As well, Shoppers is building a new store on Freshwater Road; I'd be very surprised if they also build a new store literally 2 minutes away.

I believe The General Inc owns the property on Newfoundland Drive. Loblaws entered a 25 year lease of the property in 1990, which expired around 2015. Prior to 2015, Loblaws essentially paid rent on an empty building to prevent a competitor from moving in. Since the lease expired, The General Inc has been free to lease to anyone, and we now have a conveniently located Colemans. http://www.thetelegram.com/living/pl...licies-133998/

I don't know if Loblaws leased the Churchill Square property or owns it outright. Apparently, the ownership and lease structures of major retailers can be complex: https://www.quora.com/Do-Walmart-Tar...r-their-stores .

Arrakis Feb 18, 2018 2:22 PM

I do believe that Loblaws only held a lease on the Newfoundland Drive property but did not own it and retained the lease until it expired allowing the owners to then seek new tennants. Same thing with the Ropewalk lane property. Loblaws only leased that property too until it expired.

They do however own the Churchill Sq property.

Shoppers built a new location on LeMarchant Rd which is only minutes drive from the Topsail Rd location, so why not build a new larger store where the customers are in a piece of property they own rather than pay rent in The Terrace in The Square? Of course, I’m only speculating here. Pure guessing. Either way, I hope something good happens with Churchill Square.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 8089712)
I wouldn't be so certain about that. Remember that Loblaws owned the property which is now the Newfoundland Drive Colemans. As well, Shoppers is building a new store on Freshwater Road; I'd be very surprised if they also build a new store literally 2 minutes away.


Sctttmmy Feb 21, 2018 11:59 PM

Walmart Supercenters
 
Talking to lady working in Walmart Mt Pearl about the changes. She stated that the Mt Pearl store will be completed first with a completion date of August 26 with the other two stores after that.
She said they are dropping the lights down, changing aisles so you could see across the store better. Those green signs in grocery will be gone. Lots of coolers and freezers going in.

KDMusic Feb 28, 2018 2:20 PM

http://markets.businessinsider.com/n...dor-1017427553

Cineplex is opening one of their new "Rec Room" entertainment locations in the mall early next year. I figured they would use the space from the Arcade/Glow Golf/Fog City area for this, but the article says it's going to be "nearly 30,000 square feet" and "Located at the north side of the shopping centre with access from the corner of Prince Philip Dr. and Kenmount Rd." Anyone have any idea where in the mall this is going??

wmemeadusjr Feb 28, 2018 6:22 PM

An interesting find on the Crombie REIT website regarding the Avalon Mall expansion. The expansion will now include demolishing a portion of the former Sears section and then expanding the existing mall towards Kenmount Road. Phases of construction and opening of new sections will be in 2018, 2019 and 2020.

MelH Feb 28, 2018 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDMusic (Post 8102256)
http://markets.businessinsider.com/n...dor-1017427553

Cineplex is opening one of their new "Rec Room" entertainment locations in the mall early next year. I figured they would use the space from the Arcade/Glow Golf/Fog City area for this, but the article says it's going to be "nearly 30,000 square feet" and "Located at the north side of the shopping centre with access from the corner of Prince Philip Dr. and Kenmount Rd." Anyone have any idea where in the mall this is going??

Hard to say because it also says in the article...
"While this new entertainment destination will be adjacent to our Scotiabank Theatre St. John's, the success of The Rec Room in other Canadian markets proves that Cineplex is about much more than just movies," said Ellis Jacob, President and CEO at Cineplex.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.