SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

FlyYOW Dec 21, 2019 8:10 PM

Politicians and senior management need to stay the hell back from this RTS effort and let the regulators and engineers get it right. If they botch RTS and another catastrophe occurs with this design, irrespective of the cause but especially if it's even remotely MCAS related, not only will this type be done, but I predict BCA as we know it will be done as well.

The future of Boeing Commercial Aircraft hinges on a successful RTS. My opinion.

SpongeG Dec 22, 2019 8:23 AM

what do you do when your flight has been cancelled? it leaves sunday at 6:45 pm and I just got notice at 1:15 am. ffs I need to get home. Should I find an alternative flight? air canada is on one hour call waiting If I need to leave early I need to know now

SpongeG Dec 22, 2019 8:25 AM

after nearly 2 hours on hold they rebooked me on an earlier flight and cancelled a flight I booked just in case. I am lucky I am a night owl, I only got the notice after 1 am. I imagine the rest of the people booked on the flight will only find out when they wake up or show up at the airport missing the earlier flight option.

This was the reason the original flight was cancelled.
Quote:

We're sorry, this flight is cancelled due to crew constraints.
what does that mean? no crew available?

thenoflyzone Dec 22, 2019 2:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cage (Post 8782186)
Stopping the global supply chain has the consequence of explaining to politicians that continuing the 737max grounding will have consequences for jobs and the economy of their home constituency.

Up to now, the major impact has been restricted to USA economy, that is about to go global.

Indeed. Just here in Canada, Boeing directly employs around 1,600 people. Most of them in Winnipeg.

Indirectly, they also have around 560 suppliers scattered around the country who will be impacted by the shutdown.

I know at least 4 Quebec companies that provide Max parts to Boeing and will
be impacted by the shutdown.

Alphacasting, Avior, Meloche and the GE plant in Bromont.

MacLac Dec 22, 2019 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 8782449)
what do you do when your flight has been cancelled? it leaves sunday at 6:45 pm and I just got notice at 1:15 am. ffs I need to get home. Should I find an alternative flight? air canada is on one hour call waiting If I need to leave early I need to know now

I would imagine Rainbow Lake/High Level only has a 1 daily CMA - 6 seater King/day to YEG. Not a lot of options for you there boss......

SpongeG Dec 22, 2019 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacLac (Post 8782493)
I would imagine Rainbow Lake/High Level only has a 1 daily CMA - 6 seater King/day to YEG. Not a lot of options for you there boss......

I fly out of ft st john. I drive down 7 hours, there are no flights out of rainbow lake anymore they cancelled them a while ago. when there were it would cost over $1200.

I can either fly out of fsj direct or grande prairie via calgary or edmonton.

MacLac Dec 22, 2019 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 8782562)
I fly out of ft st john. I drive down 7 hours, there are no flights out of rainbow lake anymore they cancelled them a while ago. when there were it would cost over $1200.

I can either fly out of fsj direct or grande prairie via calgary or edmonton.

7 hrs to John....why not just do 7 hours to GP instead? Or are you in Ft.Nelson rather than Rainbow?

SpongeG Dec 23, 2019 8:00 AM

cause it's cheaper to fly out Ft St john and its a 90 minute flight direct to Vancouver. From GP I have to fly via Calgary or Edmonton and depending on the connection can be stuck in one of those airports for up to 3 hours. Plus FSJ is my hometown so I know my way around and the parking is cheaper.

Anyway, Air Canada didn't send me any messages until 2 pm today that the flight was cancelled. I only found out because of my google assistant. Had I not had that I would have been driving there only to find out there was no flight to get to and I would have been stuck trying to find a hotel and losing a day at home. Not too impressed with Air Canada today. Also there was no acknowledgement on the flight board that the flight was cancelled either.

samuelx88 Dec 27, 2019 3:28 PM

Swoop will fly to Charlottetown, Moncton and St. John's starting June 2020

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ork-expansion/

Innsertnamehere Dec 27, 2019 4:21 PM

1x weekly for Charlottetown.. nice to have, but that’s not a very useful frequency. Maybe by 2021 they will increase it to a more useful 3x a week or something.

JakeLRS Dec 27, 2019 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelx88 (Post 8785352)
Swoop will fly to Charlottetown, Moncton and St. John's starting June 2020

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ork-expansion/

This is fantastic for Hamilton, YHM!

SteelTown Dec 27, 2019 5:26 PM

Awesome to bring back Moncton to YHM. One side of my family lives in Nova Scotia, and Moncton is closer than Halifax. Plus I like smaller airports, less hustle and bustle.

It sounds like I'll plan a summer vacation in St. John's.

whatnext Dec 27, 2019 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 8782451)
after nearly 2 hours on hold they rebooked me on an earlier flight and cancelled a flight I booked just in case. I am lucky I am a night owl, I only got the notice after 1 am. I imagine the rest of the people booked on the flight will only find out when they wake up or show up at the airport missing the earlier flight option.

This was the reason the original flight was cancelled.


what does that mean? no crew available?

Probably delays caused the crew scheduled to time out, and they couldn't find replacements. That's the problem with regional flying a delay in one of the aircraft's first legs cascades through the whole day.

TheGreatestX Dec 27, 2019 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere (Post 8785404)
1x weekly for Charlottetown.. nice to have, but that’s not a very useful frequency. Maybe by 2021 they will increase it to a more useful 3x a week or something.

It is 3 weekly.

casper Dec 28, 2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8782491)
Indeed. Just here in Canada, Boeing directly employs around 1,600 people. Most of them in Winnipeg.

Indirectly, they also have around 560 suppliers scattered around the country who will be impacted by the shutdown.

I know at least 4 Quebec companies that provide Max parts to Boeing and will
be impacted by the shutdown.

Alphacasting, Avior, Meloche and the GE plant in Bromont.

I think that figure for the Boeing head count is now closer to 2,000 when you include the subsidiary in Vancouver that does aerospace software and analytics. There is a number of companies in Vancouver and Victoria that also support that operation.

SignalHillHiker Dec 28, 2019 3:21 PM

Passenger trafffic down at St. John's International Airport in 2019

Loss of Dublin direct flight, Boeing 737 Max groundings cited as contributing factors

Quote:

With 2019 almost in the books, it looks like passenger traffic at St. John's International Airport will be down for the third straight year.
Based on data for the months of January to November of this year, passengers coming from or going to St. John's totalled 1,353,438. That's down 3.9 per cent from the comparable period in 2018, when 1,408,995 passengers either deplaned or enplaned at the St. John's airport.

According to a spokeswoman for the St. John's International Airport Authority (SJIAA), the loss of direct flight service to Dublin, Ireland, contributed to the passenger decline.

In November 2018, WestJet announced its decision to cancel the seasonal St. John's-to-Dublin direct flight service and instead maintain a flight departing from Halifax. The airliner said the St. John's route was not performing up to expectations.

Since then, multiple representatives from the tourism and business sectors have advocated for the re-establishment of this service, citing its benefit to the Newfoundland and Labrador economy. In January 2018, WestJet axed a direct flight from St. John's to London's Gatwick Airport.


Another factor contributing to the passenger decline at the airport was the grounding of Boeing 737 Max airplanes that started in March of this year after issues with the planes' automated flight control were identified. Two crashes of these planes occurred within a five-month period, with the most recent happening in March, an Ethiopian Airlines flight from Ethiopia to Kenya. A total of 346 people died in the two crashes.

Some models of the Boeing 737 Max can carry as many as 244 passengers. Air Canada and WestJet cancelled multiple routes across Canada as a result of the grounding decision.

A spokeswoman for the St. John's International Airport Authority (SJIAA) noted overall seat capacity for the year is down eight per cent, but the 3.9 per cent decline in passengers compared to 2018 would indicate flights are fuller in 2019.

St. John's International Airport did gain some new routes in 2019. WestJet added service to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., in the spring and a direct flight to Edmonton for the summer.

"Air service development is a key function of our business and we aggressively pursue new routes where a strong business case exists," the spokeswoman said in an emailed statement to The Telegram. "We are very much focused on increasing airline seat capacity (more flights/larger aircraft) on existing routes as well as adding new destinations where the demand is strong."

The last year in which passenger traffic increased at the airport was 2016, when 1,568,950 deplaned and enplaned in St. John’s. That represented a 4.3 per cent increase over 2015 passenger traffic (1,504,605).

The SJIAA is expected to announce details of airline schedules for the summer of 2020 early in the new year.
https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...n-2019-392352/

This is the first year I've ever heard of so many people (relatives, family friends, neighbours, and relatives of people we know) literally not making it home for Christmas. Lots stuck in Toronto, Halifax, and Deer Lake.

jmt18325 Dec 28, 2019 4:06 PM

If I hear about Dublin direct from St. John's again, I swear....

q12 Dec 28, 2019 7:27 PM

St. John's (YYT) passenger numbers (not including December for comparison) are not looking good compared to 2016. It's too bad the airport expansion has not translated into more passenger traffic.

https://i.postimg.cc/CxNH5B2W/yyt.png

Marty_Mcfly Dec 28, 2019 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 8786035)
If I hear about Dublin direct from St. John's again, I swear....

Even I'm sick of it at this point. Just fly somewhere else (maybe not Fort Lauderdale or Edmonton though).

The airport has spent too much money expanding the terminal and transforming the airport into something more usable to be losing passengers. All levels of government involved with the airport need to put together a solid plan moving forward (airport authority, city of St. John's, provincial government). Right now the plan just seems to tread water and try not to drown.

When expanding routes there needs to be some greater vision. Why do we need direct flights to Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, and Orlando? Wouldn't we be better off with a direct to NYC over 3 locations in Florida?

Dominion301 Dec 29, 2019 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 8786120)
Even I'm sick of it at this point. Just fly somewhere else (maybe not Fort Lauderdale or Edmonton though).

The airport has spent too much money expanding the terminal and transforming the airport into something more usable to be losing passengers. All levels of government involved with the airport need to put together a solid plan moving forward (airport authority, city of St. John's, provincial government). Right now the plan just seems to tread water and try not to drown.

When expanding routes there needs to be some greater vision. Why do we need direct flights to Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, and Orlando? Wouldn't we be better off with a direct to NYC over 3 locations in Florida?

Newfoundlanders fly a lot to Florida. I remember back in my CanJet days, for Florida flights out of YHZ, YOW, YUL and YYZ, sometimes 1/3 of those were filled with YYT connections. It's not really a question of either or, but how to get a YYT-US hub connction while maintaining/expanding YYT-Florida.

Here's two realistic things YYT should focus on: getting YOW nonstops and service on Porter back up to year-round service.

YYT was hurt a bit by the MAX grounding a bit in 2019. For example YOW-YYT didn't operate all of July and when it was operating, it was on a CRA instead of the usual E90...future A220 route. I'm pretty sure YYT-YUL saw reduced capacity too.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.