SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

isaidso Jul 13, 2018 12:30 PM

edit

hipster duck Jul 13, 2018 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 8249789)
those mounds in the background are the gulf islands, i think the biggest hump is salt spring

Yeah, I think the foothills of Mount Baker are on the left and Orcas Island is the long mound on the right. In any case, that view is exaggerated - it's what you would see if you had a telephoto lens on an extremely clear day without distorting the foreground somehow.

Airboy Jul 13, 2018 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster duck (Post 8249984)
Yeah, I think the foothills of Mount Baker are on the left and Orcas Island is the long mound on the right. In any case, that view is exaggerated - it's what you would see if you had a telephoto lens on an extremely clear day without distorting the foreground somehow.

Yah that is the US of A.

The expansion is fairly large since the consultants will have offices on site as well. If it was just adding a few gates I don't see them having a remote site.

zahav Jul 13, 2018 8:17 PM

I would've thought the 2007 international terminal expansion was bigger TBH, seems like it had a bigger footprint and more gates. But either way, glad to see this happening, can't come soon enough. Below is a pic late evening of just a portion of the international wing where this expansion will take place:

[IMG]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/...psyxfvgsd6.jpg[/IMG]

Pictured at the gates are a Delta 737-900, Air Canada 787-900, EVA 777-300, Qantas 747-400, Xiamen 787 (-800 I think?), China Airlines A350-900, British Airways A380-800, Air Canada 787-900. And either on the runway or taxiing are a Cathay Pacific 777-300, Interjet A320-NEO, and Air Transat 737-800. Love this shot for the variety of international tails and aircraft. And this isn't even the busiest time at the airport, and it was still this busy. Bring on the expansion!

And to the haters on the forum who say YVR is only China focused and owes all its growth to them, only 1/11 of these is going there...

thenoflyzone Jul 13, 2018 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 8250339)

Pictured at the gates are a Delta 737-900, Air Canada 787-900, EVA 777-300, Qantas 747-400, Xiamen 787 (-800 I think?), China Airlines A350-900, British Airways A380-800, Air Canada 787-900. And either on the runway or taxiing are a Cathay Pacific 777-300, Interjet A320-NEO, and Air Transat 737-800. Love this shot for the variety of international tails and aircraft. And this isn't even the busiest time at the airport, and it was still this busy. Bring on the expansion!

And to the haters on the forum who say YVR is only China focused and owes all its growth to them, only 1/11 of these is going there...

That's it? 8 heavies?

Hardly impressed.....

As i type this, I'm counting 30 heavies on the ground at YUL. All gates full. 13 aircraft on remote stands. 1 at AC base. 1 at de-ice.

Turkish, Corsair, Air Algerie and others all at remote stands. Bussing ops in full swing. The PTV's are running around all over the place as well. July numbers should be good !

Nice pic though....but stop hiding all those Chinese aircraft.......:cheers:

SpongeG Jul 13, 2018 9:37 PM

.

nname Jul 13, 2018 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8250438)
That's it? 8 heavies?

Hardly impressed.....

As i type this, I'm counting 30 heavies on the ground at YUL. All gates full. 13 aircraft on remote stands. 1 at AC base. 1 at de-ice.

So you have to use an entire airport to compare to the tip of one wing to make YUL looks better? :D

thenoflyzone Jul 13, 2018 9:54 PM

;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 8250452)
So you have to use an entire airport to compare to the tip of one wing to make YUL looks better? :D

I haven't mentioned a word about the domestic wing, transborder one, or the aeroquai. So no, not the entire airport. Just our international wing and remote stands....

I can take one pic here with 20+ heavies in the frame.....

SpongeG Jul 13, 2018 9:54 PM

yea that's only showing the last expansion, to the right would be where Air New Zealand sits. There is much more not seen from that pic.

thenoflyzone Jul 13, 2018 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 8250459)
yea that's only showing the last expansion, to the right would be where Air New Zealand sits. There is much more not seen from that pic.

Ok so 9.;)

nname Jul 13, 2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8250458)
;)

I haven't mentioned a word about the domestic wing, transborder one, or the aeroquai. So no, not the entire airport. Just our international wing and remote stands....

So which gate is the remote stand departures for YUL... A53?

thenoflyzone Jul 14, 2018 1:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 8250465)
So which gate is the remote stand departures for YUL... A53?

Yes. And also 62A and B.

nname Jul 14, 2018 2:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8250621)
Yes. And also 62A and B.

Thanks, indeed I saw two rows of buses at those gates in the google satellite view.

YUL is also desperately need some terminal expansion then... I guess that's true for the 3 biggest Canadian airports.

YVR could've been much worse this year, but they got away with 3-4 flights a day as many of the non-AC European flights got moved later into the afternoon to reduce gate usages at peak time.

thenoflyzone Jul 14, 2018 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 8250641)
Thanks, indeed I saw two rows of buses at those gates in the google satellite view.

YUL is also desperately need some terminal expansion then... I guess that's true for the 3 biggest Canadian airports.

YVR could've been much worse this year, but they got away with 3-4 flights a day as many of the non-AC European flights got moved later into the afternoon to reduce gate usages at peak time.

That's exactly it. YVR's rush hour is spread out more evenly throughout the day. The Asian rush is around noon, the European one later in the evening. At YUL, the rush is tighter, explaining the larger number of heavies on the ground at the same time.

Although Johnny posted a link to a good peak period picture at YVR, with 15 heavies in the frame over on the YVR thread. There's probably a few more hiding out outside the frame of the pic....

https://mobile.twitter.com/towerden/...62387578200064

nname Jul 14, 2018 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8250991)
Although Johnny posted a link to a good peak period picture at YVR, with 15 heavies in the frame over on the YVR thread. There's probably a few more hiding out outside the frame of the pic....

https://mobile.twitter.com/towerden/...62387578200064

The last visible gate is D64, so there should be 8 more heavies at the gate since the international always uses up to D76 on Fridays.

Marty_Mcfly Jul 15, 2018 2:33 PM

Some pictures of the YYT Expansion:

The original part of the airport is the small box area to the left.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiAb_kWV4AEycUF.png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgI7aO-W0AEO8Qe.jpg

Security screening used to be in a tiny area on the second floor. It has now been moved to the first floor expansion area, to the right of baggage check in area

http://i64.tinypic.com/2a94iki.jpg
(from SSP user CBSNewfie)

After security you go upstairs where this greets you:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dh1NLFOXcAEkVQK.jpg

To the right is the entrance to the departures lounge:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dh1NLDPW4AASEzj.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/dw5j5f.jpg
(From CBSNewfie)

Finally, a place to sit down and eat and/or drink while waiting for your flight

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dh1NLDUWkAITVgf.jpg

Much more seating

http://i68.tinypic.com/1hqbt1.jpg
(From CBSNewfie)

Video tour of the departures lounge extension (note: only the extension. This was the day before it was open so the wall is still up separating the [then] departures lounge and the extension):

https://www.facebook.com/StJohnsInte...9319402100611/

Up next, is another extension but on the other side of the terminal. This should focus mainly on the arrivals area, however it will add more space to the departures lounge as well. It should begin construction in 2019.

SignalHillHiker Jul 15, 2018 3:19 PM

Oh man, the pictures I saw of Yellowbelly all looked tolerable inside - faux Water Street, but still Water Street.

But that sign? Yikes. That's a cheap-looking sign.

J81 Jul 17, 2018 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8250438)
That's it? 8 heavies?

Hardly impressed.....

As i type this, I'm counting 30 heavies on the ground at YUL. All gates full. 13 aircraft on remote stands. 1 at AC base. 1 at de-ice.

Turkish, Corsair, Air Algerie and others all at remote stands. Bussing ops in full swing. The PTV's are running around all over the place as well. July numbers should be good !

Nice pic though....but stop hiding all those Chinese aircraft.......:cheers:

How many of those heavies were diversions from YYZ?

LeftCoaster Jul 17, 2018 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8250438)
That's it? 8 heavies?

Hardly impressed.....

As i type this, I'm counting 30 heavies on the ground at YUL. All gates full. 13 aircraft on remote stands. 1 at AC base. 1 at de-ice.

That's super neat, you must be really proud, but I think the purpose was to show that the gates were all full and the expansion badly needed, not some petty measuring contest...

thenoflyzone Jul 18, 2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J81 (Post 8253595)
How many of those heavies were diversions from YYZ?

none. YOW usually sees more YYZ diversions than YUL, especially in the evening hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 8253803)
I think the purpose was to show that the gates were all full and the expansion badly needed, not some petty measuring contest...

How many international flights use remote stands at YVR per day? 2? Clearly not as badly needed as at YUL. That's probably why YVR is only building 4 new gates on pier D.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.