SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Coldrsx Nov 24, 2015 1:29 AM

Our new DXB direct:)

http://i67.tinypic.com/2igyko7.jpg
Boom goes the city on c2e

Coldrsx Nov 24, 2015 1:34 AM

' All that said, Edmonton built has a nice modern airport. What it needs now is a good rail connection to downtown.'

LRT will come ^in 10-15, but the 747 + LRT is perfectly reasonable. I can go door to door from downtown in 50-55mins for $5.

LO 044 Nov 24, 2015 5:46 AM

^To be frank, i am in this industry and can tell you that an LRT line to YEG will not happen in my lifetime which i hope is another 40 years. First is the Valley Line to the east, then the line to the west, then either the line to the NW or the SW extension to the City limits.

Let's put it this way. Look at how many flights YEG actually serves relative to YYC, YVR and YYZ. YVR and YYZ relatively recently built rail lines. YYC has such a small distance between the closest C-Train station and they aren't building a connection.

SFUVancouver Nov 24, 2015 10:04 PM

McArthurGlen Designer Outlets at YVR named "World's Best Outlet Centre" at MAPIC 2015

Quote:

Richmond’s McArthurGlen mall named world’s best outlet centre
Award announced at international retail property conference in France

The McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Vancouver won the award for best outlet centre at a major international retail property conference in France.

The MAPIC awards named winners in categories such as best retail design concept, best retail digital strategy and best new shopping centre.

London-based McArthurGlen’s only award at the MAPIC expo, which was attended by more than 8,400 people, was for its shopping centre in Richmond near Vancouver International Airport.

MAPIC provided no explanation for why the centre merited being named the best outlet centre in the world but Vancouverites have been voting with their feet for how much they like the centre.

About 160,000 people flocked to the centre during its first four days, which was the busiest for any opening four days in McArthurGlen history. The company operates 20 other malls in Europe.

It also only took a mere three months for the centre to welcome its millionth customer .

The centre’s manager, Robert Thurlow, told Business in Vancouver at the time that traffic was about 66% higher than anticipated.

[...]
https://www.biv.com/article/2015/11/...0604-210829401

This mall will benefit YVR through additional non-aeronautical revenue and, more broadly, helps stem retail leakage down to the outlet malls across the border in the US.

esquire Nov 24, 2015 10:19 PM

^ I certainly liked McArthur Glen (Japadog!!), but I wouldn't put it above any number of garden variety outlet malls that you can find anywhere in the US and increasingly, in Canada.

Frankly, the most outstanding part of McArthur Glen is its location... it's not in the middle of nowhere like these places normally are.

Nicko999 Nov 27, 2015 11:38 PM

YUL numbers for October are up...

1,273,410 passengers (including myself;)), +6.8% increase.

Now 13,247,689 passengers YTD.

Infrequent Poster Nov 28, 2015 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 7245656)
On this YEG thing, Edmonton takes its airport more personally than any other Canadian city, that much is for certain. I check out the YEG thread from time to time and the comical obsession of some posters over avoiding connections in Canadian cities to the greatest extent possible (especially YYC) is just over the top. There have been weeks of ongoing speculation about some new route to Asia, it seriously reminds me of. Charlie Brown waiting for the Great Pumpkin

For some reason, Edmonton uses the airport as a barometer of how the entire city is doing. I don't know of anyplace else that obsesses so much.

As a parent, I can tell you that most Canadian airports now have kids play areas, as do many of the ones in the US that I've been through. Finding them can be a bit of a challenge, but they're there. We visited one of YEG's last month and I thought it was quite nice.

Just a bit of a correction. I'm pretty sure you meant to say Linus. The great pumpkin was his thing. Not Charlie brown.

SkahHigh Nov 28, 2015 3:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 7250934)
YUL numbers for October are up...

1,273,410 passengers (including myself;)), +6.8% increase.

Now 13,247,689 passengers YTD.

Domestic +2.5%
International +8.6%
Transborder +12%

+7.1% YTD

speedog Nov 28, 2015 5:24 PM

Just curious, how many Canadian cities actually have the international airport associated with them actually located within their municipal boundaries - as a cutoff point, let's make the municipal population count start at 500,000 (not talking CMA population here). I know Calgary does and Edmonton does not and I thought Vancouver's was but I learned that Vancouver Internatinal Airport is not actually located in Vancouver. What of Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Hamilton or any other Canadian city that has more than 500,000 residents.

Nicko999 Nov 28, 2015 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkahHigh (Post 7251265)
Domestic +2.5%
International +8.6%
Transborder +12%

+7.1% YTD

The YTD growth is 4.6%. 7.1% is the YTD growth for international passengers only.

DrNest Nov 28, 2015 7:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedog (Post 7251349)
Just curious, how many Canadian cities actually have the international airport associated with them actually located within their municipal boundaries - as a cutoff point, let's make the municipal population count start at 500,000 (not talking CMA population here). I know Calgary does and Edmonton does not and I thought Vancouver's was but I learned that Vancouver Internatinal Airport is not actually located in Vancouver. What of Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Hamilton or any other Canadian city that has more than 500,000 residents.

The threshold of RWY24R at CYYZ is located within the boundary of Toronto, but the rest of the airport is within Mississauga.

casper Nov 28, 2015 7:25 PM

Quote:

I think this has more to do with how different provinces administer municipalities.

Ottawa is.
Montreal is not.
Winnipeg is.
Toronto is and is not.

SkahHigh Nov 28, 2015 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 7251402)
The YTD growth is 4.6%. 7.1% is the YTD growth for international passengers only.

My bad, I looked at the wrong place :D

hipster duck Nov 28, 2015 7:38 PM

Quote:

In the US, municipalities try very hard to annex the land that the airport sits on and, in some cases, own the airport itself. This is because a lot of municipal revenue is derived from sales taxes, and a busy airport - especially a hub - is basically a cash cow of outside people paying sales taxes on all the goods and services consumed within the airport (e.g. food, hotels, rental cars, etc.), but neither using city services nor being able to vote in municipal elections.

SkahHigh Nov 28, 2015 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 7251435)
I think this has more to do with how different provinces administer municipalities.

Ottawa is.
Montreal is not.
Winnipeg is.
Toronto is and is not.

Part of YUL is located in the Saint-Laurent borough so it's partly within Montreal.

SkydivePilot Nov 28, 2015 7:49 PM

Quote:

Halifax does not - even though Halifax has fewer than 500,000.

G.S MTL Nov 28, 2015 7:57 PM

oops I commented on YEG ...thought Emirates had service to Edmonton... sorry my mistake.

speedog Nov 28, 2015 8:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster duck (Post 7251445)
In the US, municipalities try very hard to annex the land that the airport sits on and, in some cases, own the airport itself. This is because a lot of municipal revenue is derived from sales taxes, and a busy airport - especially a hub - is basically a cash cow of outside people paying sales taxes on all the goods and services consumed within the airport (e.g. food, hotels, rental cars, etc.), but neither using city services nor being able to vote in municipal elections.

Interesting and that is probably why I've read various news stories over the years of why Leduc County would like to keep Edmonton International Airport within its boundaries as opposed to Edmonton annexing the airport lands - everything being built up around that airport directly benefits Leduc County's tax base.

hipster duck Nov 28, 2015 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedog (Post 7251478)
Interesting and that is probably why I've read various news stories over the years of why Leduc County would like to keep Edmonton International Airport within its boundaries as opposed to Edmonton annexing the airport lands - everything being built up around that airport directly benefits Leduc County's tax base.

Yeah, OT, but it also explains why auto malls are frequently located on municipal boundaries in the US.

You get people coming in from a neighbouring municipality to buy a car. They pay $2,400 in sales taxes to your municipality on their purchase of a $30,000 car, and you don't have to spend that tax money educating their children or picking up their garbage.

casper Nov 28, 2015 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster duck (Post 7251496)
Yeah, OT, but it also explains why auto malls are frequently located on municipal boundaries in the US.

You get people coming in from a neighbouring municipality to buy a car. They pay $2,400 in sales taxes to your municipality on their purchase of a $30,000 car, and you don't have to spend that tax money educating their children or picking up their garbage.

I think the most extreme example is Las Vegas. This video explains how what most of us think of as Las Vegas is not in Las Vegas. https://youtu.be/naDCCW5TSpU