SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

bikegypsy Oct 30, 2015 8:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkahHigh (Post 7216289)
Transat is a great airline; cheap tickets, interesting destinations, comfortable... Since WestJet is so low key at YUL, AT took advantage.

AT has had a strong presence at YUL since day 1. It's a Montreal based airline and is 10 years older than Westjet.

SkahHigh Oct 30, 2015 1:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikegypsy (Post 7216876)
AT has had a strong presence at YUL since day 1. It's a Montreal based airline and is 10 years older than Westjet.

It's an old Montreal-based airline (they used to be called Quebecair before I believe) but they keep expanding at YUL by adding more flights to Europe every year.

Klazu Oct 30, 2015 3:29 PM

I have yet to fly Transat as it never seems to come up as the most competitive airline out of YVR on the routes I fly. I have also been of the mind that they are a complete no frills airline with tight seat pitch, but is there anything to that? Are they just a normal (leisure) airline?

SkahHigh Oct 30, 2015 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klazu (Post 7217140)
I have yet to fly Transat as it never seems to come up as the most competitive airline out of YVR on the routes I fly. I have also been of the mind that they are a complete no frills airline with tight seat pitch, but is there anything to that? Are they just a normal (leisure) airline?

Normal leisure airline. I find it better than Air Canada Rouge.

thenoflyzone Oct 30, 2015 7:28 PM

Nice work G.S MTL !

AC to Lyon is an A333.

Also might want to add HAV next to PEK for Air China, just for the exotism of it all !

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFUVancouver (Post 7216279)

I had no idea that Air Transat was such a major player in YUL. That's an astonishing set of destinations for a charter airline.

That's because TS is not a charter airline per se. It's a scheduled carrier. Their flights are scheduled flights and you can purchase "airfare only" straight out of their website. In fact, 30% of their seats are occupied by people who purchase airfare only (i.e. not a packaged holiday). That percentage is probably growing every year, especially to Europe.

Bourkky Oct 30, 2015 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7217524)
AC to Lyon is an A333.

AC changed LYS to 763 last week :(
But both CDG next summer are now on 77W :)

SFUVancouver Oct 30, 2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7217524)
That's because TS is not a charter airline per se. It's a scheduled carrier. Their flights are scheduled flights and you can purchase "airfare only" straight out of their website. In fact, 30% of their seats are occupied by people who purchase airfare only (i.e. not a packaged holiday). That percentage is probably growing every year, especially to Europe.

That explains a lot. I've been working on the assumption (never verified, obviously) that Air Transat was a charter operator. I knew that there were some routes that were so regularly booked they were operated as a scheduled service, but I thought that on the whole it was still considered a charter airline because they sold their seats as part of their Transat Holidays packaged vacations business. I thought they were a Canadian equivalent to Thomas Cook airlines. I didn't know, actually, that one could buy regular non-package tickets tickets on their flights!

Thanks for the info!

Denscity Oct 30, 2015 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikegypsy (Post 7216876)
AT has had a strong presence at YUL since day 1. It's a Montreal based airline and is 10 years older than Westjet.

I wish YVR had its own airline like Toronto Montreal and Calgary. Even more flights than it does now.

Johnny Aussie Oct 30, 2015 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 7217815)
I wish YVR had its own airline like Toronto Montreal and Calgary. Even more flights than it does now.

It does!! Pacific Coastal :)

Their global hub is based at YVR! :)

Having said that I think YVR is doing pretty good eh?

Perhaps more tails because there is no massive big hub?

YYZ just has all the right stuff going for it to have a large global hub AND be able to attract a lot of foreign tails.

thenoflyzone Oct 31, 2015 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourkky (Post 7217543)
AC changed LYS to 763 last week :(
But both CDG next summer are now on 77W :)

Thanks, didn't catch that.

Makes sense really. Launching LYS with an A333 seemed a bit over the top anyways. GVA and BRU were also launched with B763 and were upgauged later on for the high season. It will be interesting to see if they keep LYS year round or convert it to summer seasonal.

bikegypsy Oct 31, 2015 1:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 7217815)
I wish YVR had its own airline like Toronto Montreal and Calgary. Even more flights than it does now.

You're kidding right? Companies just have to be based somewhere.

cyeg66 Oct 31, 2015 2:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkahHigh (Post 7216289)
Transat is a great airline; cheap tickets, interesting destinations, comfortable... Since WestJet is so low key at YUL, AT took advantage.

AT didn't do shit, it's their home base for pete's sake. WS doesn't fly long haul from anywhere (yet), so it's not like AT has been cleverly opportunistic. They're a French Canadian operator. Who do you think YUL'ers would prefer to fly, (AT/WS) all else being equal...?

Denscity Oct 31, 2015 3:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 7217834)
It does!! Pacific Coastal :)

Their global hub is based at YVR! :)

Having said that I think YVR is doing pretty good eh?

Perhaps more tails because there is no massive big hub?

YYZ just has all the right stuff going for it to have a large global hub AND be able to attract a lot of foreign tails.

Oh were doing Very well considering we don't even have an airline based at YVR. You're constantly posting new announcements.

G.S MTL Oct 31, 2015 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7217524)
Nice work G.S MTL !

AC to Lyon is an A333.

Also might want to add HAV next to PEK for Air China, just for the exotism of it all !



That's because TS is not a charter airline per se. It's a scheduled carrier. Their flights are scheduled flights and you can purchase "airfare only" straight out of their website. In fact, 30% of their seats are occupied by people who purchase airfare only (i.e. not a packaged holiday). That percentage is probably growing every year, especially to Europe.

ukmmmmm yeah no I did my research thanks...btw Inboxed u privately a a couple weeks ago?

G.S MTL Oct 31, 2015 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7217848)
Thanks, didn't catch that.

Makes sense really. Launching LYS with an A333 seemed a bit over the top anyways. GVA and BRU were also launched with B763 and were upgauged later on for the high season. It will be interesting to see if they keep LYS year round or convert it to summer seasonal.

Btw did you notice Swiss international B773 for YUL in 2016!

Johnny Aussie Oct 31, 2015 4:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 7217951)
Oh were doing Very well considering we don't even have an airline based at YVR. You're constantly posting new announcements.

Tell me about it!

I just post what I see :)

And I anticipate quite a bit more for YVR in the not too distant future.....

To quote the CEO of YVR at his Vancouver Board of Trade address yesterday:

"We are going to have more airlines, I just can't tell you exactly which ones they are right now..."

:)

Soooooo stay tuned to the YVR thread.

Nicko999 Nov 1, 2015 6:59 AM

The top 5 as of September

1. YYZ: 27,982,740 (+6.9% YTD) AS OF AUGUST
2. YVR: 13,867,398 (+4.7% YTD) AS OF AUGUST
3. YUL: 11,973,423 (+4.4% YTD)
4. YYC: 11,762,816 (+1.8% YTD)
5. YEG: 5,510,302 (-0.8% YTD)

Trudeau airport keeps increasing the % of international passengers at a much faster rhythm than the domestic ones.

thenoflyzone Nov 1, 2015 1:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.S MTL (Post 7217973)
Btw did you notice Swiss international B773 for YUL in 2016!

Yes. Can't see them filling all those first and business class seats though. The plane will not stay on the YUL route for too long.

G.S MTL Nov 1, 2015 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7218870)
Yes. Can't see them filling all those first and business class seats though. The plane will not stay on the YUL route for too long.

really??? I thought they were doing good at YUL.

hipster duck Nov 1, 2015 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 7217815)
I wish YVR had its own airline like Toronto Montreal and Calgary. Even more flights than it does now.

YVR is Air Canada's second biggest hub, right? That's worth more than being the hub for a charter airline.

Also, Air Canada's HQ is in Montreal so Toronto technically has no airline.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.