SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

mello Jun 19, 2007 12:33 AM

^^^ Yeah I know this town is starting to lag a little bit. Lane Field, Ballpark Village, NBC, lets roll people get some shit going here. Not to mention the old police headquarters, north embarcadero..... I could go on and on.

Derek Jun 19, 2007 1:01 AM

NEVP is still a go from what I have heard. They are just waiting for Lane Field to commence construction.

bmfarley Jun 19, 2007 1:13 AM

Yep, that earthquake stuff sounds like crap. There are thousands of faults all across California with many in urban areas. It is something that just needs to be considered during the design phase. The Cal Berkeley football stadium is built right on top of one! And they intend to rebuild it right where it is.

And as for the SF Marina District... the Loma Prieta ruptured 100-150 miles away near Santa Cruz. The SF Marina District felt it because of the Bay Mud that it was built upon.... and 60 year old buildings and their foundations not built to todays standards. It was not because of the location of the fault.

So for that matter... any fault in the San Diego area capable of what Loma Prieta did... is also relevant. It's not just the one in our Marina District! And, as mentioned above, faults are dealt with with the design.

I would guesstimate that the fault in our Marina District will be dealt with by pilings being driven into the ground to provide a solid base for the foundation. The fault should certainly NOT be fatal to any project in our Marina District!

As an aside... there are hundreds of highway/freeway bridges, or rail line bridges crossing faults in California and across the world. they cannot be avoided.

SDCAL Jun 19, 2007 1:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 2904594)
^^^in addition to the earthquake controversy, i have heard there are some lawsuits being brought against the nbc proposal for unrelated reasons. i'll try to find the details............

OK, this article summarizes the other complaints about NBC

http://www.c3sandiego.org/BroadwayComplex.html

This is from Jan 07 and I am not sure how much of it is just people complaining or actual lawsuites filed that may delay or even kill construction

The two main complaints various groups have are :

(1) That the environmental impact report is outdated and incomplete; NBC developers are using a report from 1992 instead of doing a more current one

(2) That high-rises should be set back from the coastal area so as not to create a "wall" that makes a view from the bay one-dimensional instead of two-dimesional by having shorter buildings to the front and taller ones set back

SDCAL Jun 19, 2007 1:46 AM

other local news, not to do with high-rises, but the city council passed an ordinace to ban "box stores" such as the super-walmarts that include grocery stores. The mayor vetoed it, but the city council memebers are expected to over-ride the veto and it will then go to voters.

I m actually IN FAVOR of the ordinance and pissed that mayor Sanders vetoed it. I think huge chain stores hurt unique ma and pop business that are local and unique and they encourage the drive and park and one-stop shop then drive home syburban mentality. This is the kind of shit that makes every city in America look exactly the same - - BLAND!

bmfarley Jun 19, 2007 1:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 2905214)
other local news, not to do with high-rises, but the city council passed an ordinace to ban "box stores" such as the super-walmarts that include grocery stores. The mayor vetoed it, but the city council memebers are expected to over-ride the veto and it will then go to voters.

I m actually IN FAVOR of the ordinance and pissed that mayor Sanders vetoed it. I think huge chain stores hurt unique ma and pop business that are local and unique and they encourage the drive and park and one-stop shop then drive home syburban mentality. This is the kind of shit that makes every city in America look exactly the same - - BLAND!

My only issue with Walmarts and Targets and the alike... are their architectural designs and use of land. Parking should be underground... or in back. Not in front separating the store entrance from the street.

I don't care about ma and pop stores.. or the fine grain retail as has been used here before. They are nice and have importance, but not at the expense of choice.

SDCAL Jun 19, 2007 2:00 AM

Linbergh Field SUCKS ASS!!!! yet another example

So I am flying out of the country at the end of this week for a couple weeks. Normally I shuttle up to LA on a small flight operated by either United Express or AA (American Eagle)

This time my return flight gets in LAX around 9:45pm, the only direct flight from the city I am returning from to the west coast. Due to a "curfew" in San Diego, the last flight from LAX to SAN is at 10:30. I would not have enough time to go through customs and make the flight. My only ooptions are to take a shuttle to LAX or stay the night at a hotel and fly out the next morning :(

Not only is our airports location impractical due to space constraints, but the proximity to neighborhoods that creates this curfew adds to the rediculousness.

I am so fed up with the airport I could just scream. I have decided just to drive to LAX and park my car there. I wonder how many other people just by-pass SAN altogether for international flights and then aren't even included in the "statistics' for would-be international travelers out of Lindbergh Field becasue they don't even set-foot in it and just go straight up to LA?

eburress Jun 19, 2007 2:13 AM

^^ I do. I drive up to LA all the time to catch flights.

Derek Jun 19, 2007 2:43 AM

^I drive up too. The curfew is ridiculous. The airport is ridiculous.

Derek Jun 19, 2007 2:44 AM

I'm glad they banned superstores. They are ugly and kill smaller businesses.

Derek Jun 19, 2007 2:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 2905200)
OK, this article summarizes the other complaints about NBC

http://www.c3sandiego.org/BroadwayComplex.html

This is from Jan 07 and I am not sure how much of it is just people complaining or actual lawsuites filed that may delay or even kill construction

The two main complaints various groups have are :

(1) That the environmental impact report is outdated and incomplete; NBC developers are using a report from 1992 instead of doing a more current one

(2) That high-rises should be set back from the coastal area so as not to create a "wall" that makes a view from the bay one-dimensional instead of two-dimesional by having shorter buildings to the front and taller ones set back

All those people can suck my balls. The homeless people that hang out in the waterfront park right there by the Midway create more of an environmental impact with thier pissing and littering, not 4-5 star hotels and botiques. As for this "wall". The proposed project is not a "wall". They are relatively tall, slender structures that actually open up more views because the new project creates new roads that go straight to the water front, as opposed to the grey shit that's there right now, with absolutely no views to the water whatsoever (unless of course you are up high).

spoonman Jun 19, 2007 3:11 AM

So what's everyone's opinion on Sunroad Development?

Derek Jun 19, 2007 3:14 AM

^More power to them. There needs to be more height challenges, proving that San Diego can go taller than they permit.

Dale Jun 19, 2007 4:00 AM

Note of encouragement: Miami has been agitating for height increases for years now. Just recently, allowable heights have been raised to 1,010' feet in much of the CBD.

Derek Jun 19, 2007 4:01 AM

^Was it due to the airport? Or city regulations?

Dale Jun 19, 2007 4:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2905485)
^Was it due to the airport? Or city regulations?

The airport, which is at least three miles away, but the primary flight paths go right over the CBD.

So, the lesson here is that the FAA can and will relax height restrictions. And I get the impression that Miami had been hammering on them relentlessly, the argument being that taller buildings were absolutely necessary for Miami's economy and growing stature in the world.

Derek Jun 19, 2007 4:09 AM

^That's the problem. The FAA maintains there height limits within a 2 mile radius of the airport. The city of San Diego set the 500 foot limit throughout the rest of the city. In reality, it's really the city that is setting the height limits.

Filambata Jun 19, 2007 4:24 AM

Riviera Condominiums

From CCDC:

Ghods Builders is developing a mixed-use residential condominium tower on the block bounded by Sixth & 7th Avenues and Ash Street. The 38-story building will have 427 luxury condominiums and 58,000 square feet of retail and commercial space over below-grade parking.

http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyI...-smallCCDC.jpg

Derek Jun 19, 2007 5:16 AM

^That doesn't look too bad.

eburress Jun 19, 2007 5:24 AM

It would be nice to see a better rendering of it, but based on the pic, it doesn't look too bad.