SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sunbelt battle for #2? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240851)

lio45 Oct 31, 2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8734727)
If California is the Sun Belt, SF probably has a good claim for #2. If California is not included, Dallas and Houston are probably #1 and #2.

I could see Atlanta ultimately overtaking Houston in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisouthside (Post 8734743)
If California counts as the Sunbelt, the Bay area is definitely #2.

It's 100% unarguably established that regions don't have to always be made of entire states.

Example 1) NY State has parts that are "Great Lakes/Rust Belt" and parts that aren't.

(Lake Erie/Ontario waterfront, vs the eastern tip of Long Island)

Example 2) Texas has parts that are "Southern" and parts that are "The Southwest".

(The bayou area of East Texas near the Louisiana border, vs El Paso)

Similarly, the Inland Empire of Southern California is not forced to be in the same region as the Oregon border of the state.

craigs Oct 31, 2019 11:53 PM

Terrible Spanish translation skills aside, my larger point is the Bay Area is greener than the Southland, and by that I mean it has higher annual rainfall totals and is moistened by summer fog, which combined support the region's many native wetlands, grasslands, redwood forests and mixed woodlands.

How else are we supposed to define "green?" Manicured suburban lawns?

Fresh Nov 1, 2019 1:30 AM

Sunbelt seems like a vague mix of weather, employment patterns, growth levels and development.

I haven't seen much mention of them here but I still think of Salt Lake City and Denver (one of the sunniest cities in the US) as sunbelt cities.

Hell, even Boise seems to have more in common with Phoenix or Albuquerque than Nashville or Atlanta does.

BnaBreaker Nov 1, 2019 1:37 AM

Why do we do this to ourselves? lol

KB0679 Nov 1, 2019 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossabreezes (Post 8735085)
That map is very simplified. It's basing the whole concept of ''Sunbelt'' off of climate.

Who considers New Orleans, Birmingham AL, and Columbia SC sunbelt? I hope nobody. They're warm places but not sunbelt cities.

New Orleans, no. Birmingham, not really. Columbia, yeah I'd say it's Sunbelt.

Dariusb Nov 1, 2019 2:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8734833)
What are we defining as "sunbelt" anything south of Mason Dixon?

I dont know if Id call Miami "sunbelt" although it is quite sunny.

Phoenix is at just about 5 million today and it is growing rapidly but I dont think it will beat Dallas at least not for several decades. I expect Phoenix growth to peter off somewhere between 7 and 8 million.

How much can it grow long term for the rest of the century when it isnt on a boom-town-pace but a stable pace... hard to guess I think that depends on a lot of things

The definition of the sunbelt I've always heard was basically southern California, across the southwest and the south. If that's changed I wasn't aware of it.

Dariusb Nov 1, 2019 2:57 AM

Ok guys. When I came back I didn't expect a 5 pages long debate about what the definition of what the sunbelt is. So I've reworded my initial post. Hope that simplifies things a bit and keeps things on topic. Thanks.

Sun Belt Nov 1, 2019 3:14 AM

LA is Sun Belt. The Bay is mostly Sun Belt.

SLO Nov 1, 2019 3:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Belt (Post 8735789)
Wiki Sun Belt Map:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...1/Sun_belt.svg

You should know your name is sunbelt....duh.

Although I don’t think it’s a real region.

Sun Belt Nov 1, 2019 3:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLO (Post 8735792)
You should know your name is sunbelt....duh.

Although I don’t think it’s a real region.

The map is ok, but I would include OKC and RDU in the Sun Belt.

lio45 Nov 1, 2019 1:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossabreezes (Post 8735484)
This has kind of gotten off track, but it seems that we're split between thinking SF is Sunbelt or not.

I honestly think people who have not been to SF have a different idea of what it actually is. If you go there, you'll know it's not sunbelt.

I had the opposite experience - on my first visit to San Jose I was shocked by the Sunbelty architecture, layout, feel, etc. of the place, for my NorCal expectations.

A place named "Sunnyvale" can't be anywhere but Sunbelt.

SFTransplant Nov 1, 2019 1:34 PM

I never thought of "sunbelt" as a specific geographic region but rather a cluster of cities that shared common characteristics such as rather sunny and warm weather, explosive post-war growth, and a destination for retirees. As others have pointed out, they're lots of cities in the sunbelt "region" such as Jackson, MS or Montgomery no one would consider sun belt so I'm not sure arguing over geographic characteristics makes sense. And if we were, than we'd definitely want to include places like St. George, Denver, Yuma- i.e., the sunniest places in the US.

Steely Dan Nov 1, 2019 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 8735995)

these boys would disagree.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88...d1vGrkXfSJ0l1w
source: https://www.deviantart.com/imaginash...-PS4-420646788
source:

M II A II R II K Nov 1, 2019 2:01 PM

Perhaps sun belt just refers to large cities that came to prominence in the post war period built more to accommodate cars.

JManc Nov 1, 2019 2:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 8735995)
I had the opposite experience - on my first visit to San Jose I was shocked by the Sunbelty architecture, layout, feel, etc. of the place, for my NorCal expectations.

It was affordable suburban area back in the day. My uncle moved to Sunnyvale in the 50's and probably paid the same for his modest 3 bedroom ranch as he would have in Upstate NY. That house went on the market for $2.1 million a few years ago.

Centropolis Nov 1, 2019 2:20 PM

yeah, i mean if we are going down that slippery slope, kansas city is sunnier than atlanta, nashville, etc... hell st. louis is sunnier than nashville...https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_duration

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFTransplant (Post 8736004)
I never thought of "sunbelt" as a specific geographic region but rather a cluster of cities that shared common characteristics such as rather sunny and warm weather, explosive post-war growth, and a destination for retirees. As others have pointed out, they're lots of cities in the sunbelt "region" such as Jackson, MS or Montgomery no one would consider sun belt so I'm not sure arguing over geographic characteristics makes sense. And if we were, than we'd definitely want to include places like St. George, Denver, Yuma- i.e., the sunniest places in the US.

Dariusb Nov 2, 2019 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Belt (Post 8735789)

Ok. I stand corrected. I really didn't know that the Bay area was included.

liat91 Nov 2, 2019 1:00 PM

Corners of the Sunbelt;
Raleigh
Miami (not for much longer)
Phoenix
Las Vegas/Salt Lake City

It would include Denver and Nashville.
California stopped being Sunbelt in 2010.

Sun Belt Nov 3, 2019 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liat91 (Post 8736968)
Corners of the Sunbelt;
Raleigh
Miami (not for much longer)
Phoenix
Las Vegas/Salt Lake City

It would include Denver and Nashville.
California stopped being Sunbelt in 2010.

California stopped being Sunbelt in 2010...huh?! :???:

I forgot about that monumental moment in California history. The Sun Belt just ends at the Colorado River.

Also a big "huh?!" :???: to excluding New Orleans and Miami and whatever else somebody thinks should be excluded.

It's all included in the Greater Sun Belt Region, even slow growth 'Bama and Mississippi.

-----

Question] Is Reno Sun Belt? It's sunny, sunnier than Atlanta, but it's frigid up there. If it is Sun Belt, then SLC and Denver most certainly are as well.

Shawn Nov 3, 2019 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8736049)
It was affordable suburban area back in the day. My uncle moved to Sunnyvale in the 50's and probably paid the same for his modest 3 bedroom ranch as he would have in Upstate NY. That house went on the market for $2.1 million a few years ago.

My wife grew up in Sunnyvale in the 90s. By 93 Sunnyvale was already approaching unaffordable for most. Last time we visited South Bay in 2016, we drove by her old house and Zillowed it for fun; the 4 bedroom 2.5 bath late 70s split level had been sold that year for $3.3 million.