SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   BC Highway Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187593)

dmuzika Mar 27, 2023 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tvisforme (Post 9902080)
There was a similar discussion on the Aaroads forum back in 2016; reworking that proposal, I'd suggest the following:
  • move the Trans Canada designation to the Coquihalla route between Hope and Kamloops;
  • rebrand the existing TCH as Highway 1A and market it as the TCH historical route, since those communities already took a hit from losing traffic to the Coquihalla;
  • Highway 5 would follow the existing 5A from Kamloops to Princeton;
  • Highway 8 would be extended to Peachland (replacing 97C);
  • clean up the names of 97C (Merritt-Ashcroft) and 97D (Logan Lake-new TCH), perhaps as 1B/1C(?)

This gives the TCH the freeway route instead of the slower Fraser Canyon, which would make sense given the work being done to upgrade the TCH further east. Highway 5 loses the direct connection to the Lower Mainland but still retains its role as a connection between all three major east-west routes (1/16/3). If desired, one could even consider renaming the entire route along 8/97C/33 as one highway to emphasize the connection between the Cariboo and Kootenay regions.

I contributed to that AARoads discussion back in the day, so I figured I'd repost it here with a few different ideas:

1. Targeted renumbering

Try to keep the renumbering to just moving the TCH to the Coquihalla; basically the same as mentioned about with a couple alternatives. I would argue that because BC 5 north of Kamloops is signed as the Yellowhead Hwy and part of an interprovincial corridor between the Lower Mainland and Edmonton, while BC 5A between Kamloops and Princeton is more of a local highway (provided other routes are operational), so it shouldn't revert back to #5 as they have different functions.
  • TCH 1 follows the Coquihalla Hwy
  • BC 1A follows the Fraser Canyon and is the TCH Historical Route
  • BC 8 follows BC 97C between Merritt and Peachland
  • Keep BC 5 north of Kamloops
  • BC 5A between Kamloops & Merritt becomes BC 1B (runs parallel to TCH 1)
  • BC 97C & BC 5A (Cache Creek-Merritt-Princeton) becomes a new number, BC 25 is available but it could be any unused number
  • BC97D becomes BC 25A

2. Larger scale Interior Renumbering

IMO, BC 97 artificially connects the US with Alaska as most people who want to travel directly from the Lower 48 to Alaska would not go through the Okanagan. BC routes were renumbered to #97 to adhere to the US route grid (Okanagan used to be BC 5; Cariboo used to be BC 2) and extend it to Alaska, but those travel patterns were superseded by the Interstates. Further to that, Northern BC should have a continuous number to the Lower Mainland.
  • Idea #1 with the following changes
  • TCH 1 & BC 97 between Hope & Dawson Creek become BC 7
  • BC 6 follows BC 97 (and TCH 1 concurrency) between Vernon & Cache Creek
  • BC 5A (Kamloops-Merritt) would be BC 1A
  • TCH Historical Route would follow the new BC 7 & BC 6 along the current TCH route.
  • BC 97 would follow BC 97A & 97B from Vernon to Salmon Arm - BC 97B could probably be easier widened to 4 lanes to TCH 1 (which in theory will also be expanded) than BC 97A between Grindrod & Sicamous
  • Create TCH 2 along the Alaska Hwy & Canamex Corridor, following AB 4/2/43 through Alberta and BC 2/97/YK-1 to Alaska

BC 7 could also have some minimal upgrades between Hope and Vancouver to allow for it to be a viable alternate east-west route.

3. Craziness

Not going to happen, but let's really dream big.
  • Idea #2 with the following changes
  • New bridge constructed at Boundary Road over the North Arm to BC 91, with Boundary Road either remaining a surface street or a tunnelled freeway. BC 99, BC 91, and Boundary Road between Peace Arch and TCH 1 become BC 5 (northern extension of I-5). Alternatively, BC 15 becomes BC 5 and TCH 1 is cosigned TCH 1/BC 5 between Surrey and Horseshoe Bay.
  • BC 99 north of Whistler is expanded to 4 lanes. BC 99, BC 97 between Horseshoe Bay and Dawson Creek become BC 5. If the previous TCH 2 idea doesn't fly, BC 5 could continue along the Alaska Highway.
  • BC 97 between the current BC 99 and Cache Creek becomes BC 5A.
  • BC 12 becomes BC 8 (extension of the BC 8 corridor) - BC 8 could be extended east from the Okanagan to the Kootenays.
  • YH 5 north of Kamloops could be renumbered to something else. Possibly BC 7 would follow the current TCH 1 between Hope and Kamloops, then continue north to Tête Jaune Cache.

Tvisforme Mar 27, 2023 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmuzika (Post 9903138)
I contributed to that AARoads discussion back in the day, so I figured I'd repost it here with a few different ideas:

Hey, thanks for this; in fact, I came across your specific suggestions on AARoads while researching a response to Craner's post. Sorry I missed the user name!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmuzika (Post 9903138)
1. Targeted renumbering

Try to keep the renumbering to just moving the TCH to the Coquihalla; basically the same as mentioned about with a couple alternatives. I would argue that because BC 5 north of Kamloops is signed as the Yellowhead Hwy and part of an interprovincial corridor between the Lower Mainland and Edmonton, while BC 5A between Kamloops and Princeton is more of a local highway (provided other routes are operational), so it shouldn't revert back to #5 as they have different functions.
  • TCH 1 follows the Coquihalla Hwy
  • BC 1A follows the Fraser Canyon and is the TCH Historical Route
  • BC 8 follows BC 97C between Merritt and Peachland
  • Keep BC 5 north of Kamloops
  • BC 5A between Kamloops & Merritt becomes BC 1B (runs parallel to TCH 1)
  • BC 97C & BC 5A (Cache Creek-Merritt-Princeton) becomes a new number, BC 25 is available but it could be any unused number
  • BC97D becomes BC 25A

Good point about Highway 5, although I still think one can make the argument for retaining the connection to Highway 3. Perhaps an alternative would be to have BC 5 co-signed with the new TCH 1 between Kamloops and Merritt and then BC 5 would continue to Princeton. BC 5A would become BC 1B as you suggested.

Any thoughts on connecting the extended BC 8 with BC 33 as one number, co-signed with BC 97 through Kelowna?

dmuzika Mar 28, 2023 3:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tvisforme (Post 9903236)
Hey, thanks for this; in fact, I came across your specific suggestions on AARoads while researching a response to Craner's post. Sorry I missed the user name!

Haha...no worries. I use a different username on AARoads. :cheers:

Quote:

Good point about Highway 5, although I still think one can make the argument for retaining the connection to Highway 3. Perhaps an alternative would be to have BC 5 co-signed with the new TCH 1 between Kamloops and Merritt and then BC 5 would continue to Princeton. BC 5A would become BC 1B as you suggested.

Any thoughts on connecting the extended BC 8 with BC 33 as one number, co-signed with BC 97 through Kelowna?
Admittedly I've never taken BC 33, so I'm not too sure. My first thought would be if a more direct connection to the Kootenays were constructed (either 2 or 4 lanes), it should be BC 8; however, since most of BC 33 is north-south, maybe it should stay as BC 33. What's the time difference between BC 33 & BC 97 from the Crowsnest to Kelowna?

Tvisforme Mar 28, 2023 4:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmuzika (Post 9903635)

Is there another "dmuzica" on AAR? The name on the post I read is spelled the same as yours.

dmuzika Mar 29, 2023 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tvisforme (Post 9903654)
Is there another "dmuzica" on AAR? The name on the post I read is spelled the same as yours.

My mistake, I do use "dmuzika" for AARoads as well. Some other boards use a different name. I didn't double-check before posting. :yuck: I used to use MuzikMachine on boards like Canroads back in the day.

Tvisforme Mar 29, 2023 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmuzika (Post 9905074)
....I used to use MuzikMachine on boards like Canroads back in the day.

Any other forums you can recommend for the infrastructurally intrigued? I primarily post here, but it is always nice to have additional sources; I'm aware of CPTDB, West Coast Ferries, and now AARoads but would welcome more.

madog222 Mar 30, 2023 6:44 PM

Kicking Horse Canyon

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5c1a5084_h.jpgCut 1 Looking East at Phase 4, Kicking Horse Canyon by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

Denscity Mar 30, 2023 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmuzika (Post 9903635)

Admittedly I've never taken BC 33, so I'm not too sure. My first thought would be if a more direct connection to the Kootenays were constructed (either 2 or 4 lanes), it should be BC 8; however, since most of BC 33 is north-south, maybe it should stay as BC 33. What's the time difference between BC 33 & BC 97 from the Crowsnest to Kelowna?

Castlegar to Kelowna via 33 is 3.5 hours
Castlegar to Kelowna via 97 is 4 hours
Castlegar to Osoyoos via 97 is 2.5 hours

madog222 Apr 3, 2023 11:29 PM

The Hwy 4 Kennedy Hill project seems to be near completion.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...cb98fb17_b.jpg
Lines Painted on Kennedy Hill - BC Highway 4 by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

flipper316 Apr 4, 2023 4:16 AM

How come no rumble strips.

Airboy Apr 4, 2023 6:01 PM

That looks so much better than before.

flipper316 Apr 19, 2023 8:11 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...813642?cmp=rss

craner Apr 19, 2023 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipper316 (Post 9909536)
How come no rumble strips.

Good question.
No reason not to have them.

libtard Apr 25, 2023 7:09 AM

So at no point along the kicking horse canyon project will there be 2 separate viaducts side by side, 1 for each direction. So strange how everywhere else in the world builds to that standard. But it’s BC so there will be excuses about cost…

Metro-One Apr 25, 2023 7:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libtard (Post 9927477)
So at no point along the kicking horse canyon project will there be 2 separate viaducts side by side, 1 for each direction. So strange how everywhere else in the world builds to that standard. But it’s BC so there will be excuses about cost…

Your really stretching for a complaint on this one, aren’t you?

Vantage Apr 25, 2023 8:02 AM

Quote:

Why does it matter?

LeftCoaster Apr 26, 2023 8:42 PM

Quote:

Who cares?

Metro-One Apr 30, 2023 12:49 AM

So does anyone have any info on the Highway one 4 lane expansion projects for Selkirk Mountain and Jumping Creek?

They are not on the BC transport projects website but are listed here as going to Procurement this summer...

https://www.infrastructurebc.com/wp2...s-Brochure.pdf

Also of note, not a single project in the Okanagan is listed here...

The BC NDP really do hate the Okanagan it seems.

craner May 1, 2023 5:26 AM

^Hmmm - I see what you mean - but they are listed in the “Not yet Approved” section.

Dengler Avenue May 6, 2023 12:58 AM

I've been wondering about this now that I've tried to self-learn rock mechanics for a while.
The rock cut in question is here: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2795...8i8192!5m1!1e4
It's a 90 m deep cut in the sedimentary rocks on both sides.
My question: How is it that there hasn't been major rock falls through there since 2007?