SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

casper Nov 12, 2021 4:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9448848)
Well, who's better?

Calgary? No.
Edmonton? No.
Ottawa? No.
Toronto? No.
Halifax? No.
Montreal? No.
Winnipeg? No.

Who am I missing?

I'm hard pressed to even think of a clear contender for second place. YVR is the perfect combination of big airport amenities with smaller airport convenience. It's well connected to the rest of the city and not too far out of the way. As a passenger I always enjoy passing through.

The waterfall would put Ottawa in second place behind Vancouver. A distant second place.

hollywoodcory Nov 12, 2021 4:16 AM

I see AC removed most of China right through S22 now leaving just YVR/YYZ-PVG (with ICN stop) at 2x weekly.

esquire Nov 12, 2021 5:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9448887)
The waterfall would put Ottawa in second place behind Vancouver. A distant second place.

OK, it's a nice waterfall!

Architype Nov 12, 2021 5:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9448415)
YVR consistently has focused on creating a fantastic travelers experience. Far better than anything anywhere else.

I agree, YVR has won awards (I think) and seems comfortably relaxing and subtly sophisticated. I've travelled across Canada lots and seen and spent time in the major airports, most usually remind me of a big shopping mall atmosphere and seem overwhelmingly generic. Ottawa is one which I remember as being different for some reason though.

nname Nov 12, 2021 5:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9448894)
I see AC removed most of China right through S22 now leaving just YVR/YYZ-PVG (with ICN stop) at 2x weekly.

Seems like AC updated schedule for many long hual routes this week. Comparison with a few months ago:

Route suspension:
YVR-PEK/BNE/KIX
YUL-PVG
YYZ-PEK/BRU
YYC-CUN

Frequency Increase:
YUL-CAI
YYZ-DEL

Frequency Reduction:
YVR-PVG
YUL-ALG/CMN/LIS/BCN/NCE/GVA
YYZ-PVG/SCL/MAN/LIS/BCN/BUD

Extend to year round:
YVR-CUN

SpongeG Nov 12, 2021 8:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architype (Post 9448935)
I agree, YVR has won awards (I think) and seems comfortably relaxing and subtly sophisticated. I've travelled across Canada lots and seen and spent time in the major airports, most usually remind me of a big shopping mall atmosphere and seem overwhelmingly generic. Ottawa is one which I remember as being different for some reason though.

I got stuck in Ottawa once, it was supposed to be a one hour layover that turned into over 8 hours. The airport was not too bad. Just the amount of time having to be spent there really sucked.

Calfan12 Nov 12, 2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9448894)

Not too surprising as China is not expected to lift or ease restrictions on international flights ✈️until 1st quarter / mid 2022.

But China is likely to do it slowly and they won’t rush it with allowing airlines to operate more frequencies of flights! It probably remains 1-2 weeklys and increases to 3-5 weekly for airlines at some point in mid 2022-2023.

I doubt China will allow international airlines to operate 7 weekly/ daily flights until 2024/2025 as they have 1 of the strictest covid pandemic policies &

Even international passengers into China still need quarantine in Hotels 14 days!

https://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/p...st-to-mid-2022

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/29/china...hnk/index.html

thenoflyzone Nov 12, 2021 1:42 PM

Quote:

Well, who's better?

Calgary? No.
Edmonton? No.
Ottawa? No.
Toronto? No.
Halifax? No.
Montreal? No.
Winnipeg? No.

Who am I missing?

I'm hard pressed to even think of a clear contender for second place. YVR is the perfect combination of big airport amenities with smaller airport convenience. It's well connected to the rest of the city and not too far out of the way. As a passenger I always enjoy passing through.

I vote YYC ! I mean come on ! Where else can you ride on a golf cart bus type apparatus that connects the piers via a dedicated speed track...(apart from Disneyworld that is) ! The people that came up with that idea are geniuses !....lol

Sure beats 2 spruce trees in the middle of a terminal building !

Calfan12 Nov 12, 2021 7:10 PM

It currently looks like at end of March 2022 KLM 677/678 between Calgary & Amsterdam will be on the 787’s again according to google flights ✈️search for Spring & Summer.

Though it’s still too early to tell as *changes could be possible* and will see as it gets closer.

hollywoodcory Nov 12, 2021 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calfan12 (Post 9449400)
It currently looks like at end of March 2022 KLM 677/678 between Calgary & Amsterdam will be on the 787’s again according to google flights ✈️search for Spring & Summer.

Though it’s still too early to tell as *changes could be possible* and will see as it gets closer.

This has been the schedule since KLM initially loaded the S22 schedule months ago. They've made no changes yet.

thenoflyzone Nov 12, 2021 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calfan12 (Post 9449003)
Not too surprising as China is not expected to lift or ease restrictions on international flights ✈️until 1st quarter / mid 2022.

But China is likely to do it slowly and they won’t rush it with allowing airlines to operate more frequencies of flights! It probably remains 1-2 weeklys and increases to 3-5 weekly for airlines at some point in mid 2022-2023.

I doubt China will allow international airlines to operate 7 weekly/ daily flights until 2024/2025 as they have 1 of the strictest covid pandemic policies &

Even international passengers into China still need quarantine in Hotels 14 days!

https://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/p...st-to-mid-2022

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/29/china...hnk/index.html

Lack of access to China will hurt YVR the most. Last time i checked international passenger stats for this year, YVR was 3rd overall, behind YUL and YYZ. Looks like it might stay that way until China fully opens up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9448936)
Seems like AC updated schedule for many long hual routes this week. Comparison with a few months ago:

Route suspension:
YVR-PEK/BNE/KIX
YUL-PVG
YYZ-PEK/BRU
YYC-CUN

Frequency Increase:
YUL-CAI
YYZ-DEL

Frequency Reduction:
YVR-PVG
YUL-ALG/CMN/LIS/BCN/NCE/GVA
YYZ-PVG/SCL/MAN/LIS/BCN/BUD

Extend to year round:
YVR-CUN

Most of these aren't surprising, like the reductions/cancelations to Asia/Australia and increases in VFR long haul routes like YUL-CAI and YYZ-DEL. What is surprising is the reductions on YUL/YYZ-Europe, especially considering most of these are leisure or VFR routes. At the very least, i'm surprised how early they reduced these routes. With YYZ-BRU canceled, I wonder if SN will return on the route. So far, they still have YUL bookable, running 5 minutes apart from the AC flight. Could easily see them moving that flight over to YYZ. Of course, they could end up canceling their plans on serving Canada altogether, since YUL wasn't in their press release a few weeks ago, announcing their S22 program.

Speaking of S22 program and YUL/YYZ-Europe, Transat has announced a massive S22 program to Europe. Especially from YUL. There is a nice chart with destinations from YUL, YYZ and YQB, and number of weekly departures during peak season S22 for Europe, Sun and US routes.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...880768657.html

someone123 Nov 12, 2021 7:57 PM

Quote:

It's interesting because while I don't really find it to be an exciting place the actual facilities have never caused any big problems or bottlenecks getting through.

The same can't be said of Pearson/YUL, most US airports, or even some fancy new-ish airports around the world (I'm thinking of say Barcelona). A lot of the American ones are or used to be extremely bad, one example of this being hugely bogged down security checkpoints for people who are only connecting, and many of them are filthy.

I don't really know what the big airport amenities are though. They mostly have mediocre food options and then weird luxury good stores. I'm not sure I could identify a feature that say Pearson or YVR have that YHZ doesn't that made any difference.

esquire Nov 12, 2021 8:11 PM

For YVR it's the generally pleasant environment and interesting design, nice decor, nice art, nice views of the cityscape/mountains/water, good range of food/retail options, good selection of lounges, and as you point out it generally works well. It has a LRT connection to the city which is a big plus. There are a lot of things right nearby in Richmond. The terminal is busy but not so busy as to be unpleasant or overwhelming in any way. (Even YYZ pre-pandemic felt busy and congested... it wasn't an issue when T1 opened, but it was by 2019.)

Smaller airports like YHZ and YWG are pleasant mainly because of their smallness. YWG is awesome because you don't really have to walk very far to anything. It has all of the basics covered, but it doesn't have a ton beyond that.

thewave46 Nov 12, 2021 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 9449466)
It's interesting because while I don't really find it to be an exciting place the actual facilities have never caused any big problems or bottlenecks getting through.

The same can't be said of Pearson/YUL, most US airports, or even some fancy new-ish airports around the world (I'm thinking of say Barcelona). A lot of the American ones are or used to be extremely bad, one example of this being hugely bogged down security checkpoints for people who are only connecting, and many of them are filthy.

I don't really know what the big airport amenities are though. They mostly have mediocre food options and then weird luxury good stores. I'm not sure I could identify a feature that say Pearson or YVR have that YHZ doesn't that made any difference.

YVR just has a different vibe. Maybe it's the teal, or the attempt at doing something that's not completely bland. I get more a sense of place there. It leans into the theme without being over the top. It also works reasonably well too; I've not had too much trouble with connecting there.

A lot of airports are kind of sterile (so much grey) and finished to the lowest cost. Pearson has some cavernous spaces, but there's nothing terribly unique that gives it a sense of place. It's the difference between a nice, but quirky independent hotel room with real colour and one that's industrial beige and could be any one of a dozen hotel chains.

thewave46 Nov 12, 2021 8:18 PM

Some airplane video fun courtesy of Air France and the CSer...er....A220. Check out the engines - that fan to turbine ratio!

Video Link

...and here's kind of a cool reminder of what we can build in this country when we actually put our minds to it.

Video Link

esquire Nov 12, 2021 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46 (Post 9449486)
A lot of airports are kind of sterile (so much grey) and finished to the lowest cost. Pearson has some cavernous spaces, but there's nothing terribly unique that gives it a sense of place. It's the difference between a nice, but quirky independent hotel room with real colour and one that's industrial beige and could be any one of a dozen hotel chains.

Oh yeah, speaking of hotels, that's another thing I like about YVR. The in-terminal Fairmont. Only stayed there once but I loved it!

thenoflyzone Nov 12, 2021 8:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9449504)
Oh yeah, speaking of hotels, that's another thing I like about YVR. The in-terminal Fairmont. Only stayed there once but I loved it!

It's not the only major airport in the country with an in-terminal hotel though. ;)

esquire Nov 12, 2021 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9449508)
It's not the only major airport in the country with an in-terminal hotel though. ;)

No, but it's the nicest one I've seen for sure.

thenoflyzone Nov 12, 2021 9:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46 (Post 9449501)
Some airplane video fun courtesy of Air France and the CSer...er....A220. Check out the engines - that fan to turbine ratio!

...and here's kind of a cool reminder of what we can build in this country when we actually put our minds to it.

Great videos ! It's all about the bypass ratio nowadays. 12 to 1 bypass ratio for the engines on the A220. (Just to compare, a 767s engines' bypass ratio is about 4.5 to 1).

casper Nov 13, 2021 3:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 9449466)

YVR key advantages:
  • One of the largest indigenous art collections in BC on display.
  • Jelly Fish Tank. (Ok the old Heathrow Terminal 1/2 had one so its not original idea but YVR just did it better and bigger.
  • Creek and reflecting pool with fish in the middle of the terminal.
  • Rainforest display with Totem poles along the walk from the aircraft to immigration to welcome people to the west coast.
  • Multiple lounge options (more than any other airport in Canada).
  • Teal everywhere (we all know how Teal is everyone's favorite colour). Windows everywhere.

Pearson is a crap shoot. You could end up in a pleasant environment or you could end up in an over crowded convoluted and third world like area. (Some of the spots in Terminal 3 are terrible, and that area Air Canada uses for regional flights to the US in terminal 1 is even worse. The area American uses in Terminal 3 for flights to Leguardia is undersized, crowded. I think it is a deliberate attempt to prepare the travelling public for what awaits them at the other end.

Winnipeg is fantastic. Saskatoon has a great space, but they need to keep that Starbucks open for more than an hour or two each day. So it is possible to have a great smaller airport. Even Victoria (that tries to have the same experience as Vancouver) is nice for it is limited size and amenities.

Edmonton is weird. Half the airport is wonderful, modern and the other half looks to be from the 1980s.

Montreal has the best food of anyone but is a bit tight in places.