SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hamilton Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=292)
-   -   Old Pics Of Hamilton (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151765)

KDP Nov 15, 2013 7:58 PM

Ahatmose, that red brick building at the back of the lot IS the Tivoli. Only the lobby collapsed, the theatre is still there.

Ahatmose Nov 15, 2013 9:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDP (Post 6340940)
Ahatmose, that red brick building at the back of the lot IS the Tivoli. Only the lobby collapsed, the theatre is still there.

Well thanks for that bit of good news. I mean this is where I stood in line for what seemed like forever in order to be the first to see ... the first Star Trek movie. If fact I think Paint Your Wagon and How The West Was Run played there as well ... and I am sure I saw Aladdin there with my then 5 year old daughter ...

Apparently the article below was dated in March of 2013. Is there any further updates ?

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/25...ivoli-theatre/

Cheers

.

CaptainKirk Nov 15, 2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahatmose (Post 6341144)
Apparently the article below was dated in March of 2013. Is there any further updates ?

Yes, check the last couple of pages in the Tivoli thread that I linked to a few posts back.

CaptainKirk Nov 15, 2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coalminecanary (Post 6340641)
If anyone can find pix of john north between king and the fire station I'd love to see them!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...46978900_n.jpg


21 John St. N., 1968. Note the little awning "BLUE GROTTO"?
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...16120436_n.jpg


1971, note alley beside Treble Hall
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...82971387_n.jpg

Ahatmose Nov 16, 2013 12:04 AM

My god Bob Moodys ... that is where I bought my first guitar around 1976 I think ... Wow nice to have the memories coming back.

Cheers

CaptainKirk Nov 16, 2013 1:32 AM

http://henleyshamilton1.files.wordpr.../08/1-1aa6.jpg

Ahatmose Nov 16, 2013 1:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk (Post 6341358)

Wow great picture. You can see The Sunken Garden quite clearly in this one. And look at that traffic ! Where do you find 'em :)

Anyway I went looking for the Orphanage in Hamilton on Google and could not seem to find it. I have terrible memories of my father taking us there the day after Halloween and giving the orphans half of our haul. That's not what distressed me though ... it was the the look of utter despair on their faces and ... well maybe I could see something else that will not be gone into here. Regardless I have never forgotten it.

Meanwhile was that depressing building finally torn down ? Surprisingly I have been unable to locate a single image of it.

Best

.

CaptainKirk Nov 16, 2013 2:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahatmose (Post 6341369)
I went looking for the Orphanage in Hamilton on Google and could not seem to find it.
.


Is this it by any chance?

http://static.torontopubliclibrary.c..._pic-r-877.jpg

Ahatmose Nov 16, 2013 2:59 AM

Seems to me it was much larger but it was set way back from Main Street and was very hard to see from the road. My recollection of when I was about 8 or 9 are not that clear anymore. but yes I when to Google and turned back the clock and yes there is a large space where it should have been. The brown spot is not there when you use street view as it has already been built up

Here is a Google image. It is where the big brown area is just two blocks east of Victoria park

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/6395/1qyf.jpg

Best

CaptainKirk Nov 16, 2013 3:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahatmose (Post 6341443)
Seems to me it was much larger but it was set way back from Main Street

The old one I posted was at the foot of Wellington St. S. and demolished in 1959

here are more pics of it http://henleyshamilton1.wordpress.co...-street-south/

ScreamingViking Nov 16, 2013 6:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk (Post 6341358)

What a great shot. This one makes the topography look a bit flat... I love that it captures a train too.

CaptainKirk Nov 16, 2013 9:22 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...93641805_n.jpg

Ahatmose Nov 16, 2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk (Post 6342037)

It could be just me but the Sunken Garden really looks like it is sunken. The road seems to be much higher than it is today ... anybody else see this ?

Cheers

Dr Awesomesauce Nov 17, 2013 2:43 AM

That area's almost unrecognisable today - infill, landscaping, the expressway.

Love Shacktown!

palace1 Nov 17, 2013 3:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahatmose (Post 6341443)
It is where the big brown area is just two blocks east of Victoria park

That site was the location of the Loretto Academy. I believe it was a private Catholic high school, not really an orphanage. Evelyn Dick was a student there for a brief period.

Here is an engraving from 1893:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2je9vyd.jpg

There were later additions as discussed here:
http://www.umanitoba.ca/colleges/st_...HA2000/Lei.pdf


It was torn down in 1971 and sat empty until recently becoming the site of 2 apartment buildings and a women's shelter run by the Good Shepherd Centre.

Ahatmose Nov 17, 2013 4:24 AM

Hi Palace1

Not to be argumentative but I know that in about 1957 through probably 1961 we visited there once a year after Halloween and trust me it was indeed a boy's orphanage. It must have been both at one time.

Cheers

Ahatmose Nov 17, 2013 4:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce (Post 6342333)
That area's almost unrecognisable today - infill, landscaping, the expressway.

Love Shacktown!

Well then you will love this one., I have never seen this image or anything like it before. I make this trip every week now when I pick my daughter up at Guelph and bring her home. Sure looks a bit different now.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/387/d8ke.jpg

Postcard Clappison Cut Hamilton Ontario Canada ca. 1925

Cheers

Ahatmose Nov 17, 2013 4:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palace1 (Post 6342395)
That site was the location of the Loretto Academy. I believe it was a private Catholic high school, not really an orphanage. Evelyn Dick was a student there for a brief period.

Here is an engraving from 1893:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2je9vyd.jpg

There were later additions as discussed here:
http://www.umanitoba.ca/colleges/st_...HA2000/Lei.pdf


It was torn down in 1971 and sat empty until recently becoming the site of 2 apartment buildings and a women's shelter run by the Good Shepherd Centre.

Very weird ... you appear to be correct but I remember it as a dark almost black building . Weird ... And I remember only men ... no women ...

http://historicalhamilton.com/strath...retto-academy/

http://www.classmates.com/places/sch...-Academy/31324

bigguy1231 Nov 17, 2013 6:29 AM

Ahatmose,

There was an orphanage at the NW corner of King and Queen, part of the building is still there. I think it was St Josephs or something like that.

Ahatmose Nov 17, 2013 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigguy1231 (Post 6342490)
Ahatmose,

There was an orphanage at the NW corner of King and Queen, part of the building is still there. I think it was St Josephs or something like that.

Yes it was definitely called St. Joseph's. As I remember it sat well back of King St. Strange that I am unable to locate even one image of it or any history of it on the internet.

Cheers

.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.