SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Lowrise/General Developments Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160247)

1487 Oct 4, 2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEFTA (Post 7941459)
I think it's a little ridiculous that they're calling it "Fashion District" when it's full of suburban discount shopping outlets. It's looking exactly like what it is. Still pushing the suburbs into Center City.

its not only outlets- hence the name change. IN fact, I don't know that they have announced many outlet tenants. We do know there will be a theater, restaurants, a food court and some non outlet stores.

1487 Oct 4, 2017 1:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown (Post 7941574)
No. Good design is arguably more than 50% in any transformative project. This isn't the 1800 block of Walnut. You need to create a destination to get people to linger and shop there. Not some mediocre strip mall.

Also. Given the quality of materials, why are you not mad given how much money is being sent to this project from state and city coffers? This is a clear sign of bait and switch, which to me, means the money is going straight into the pockets of the executives at PREIT. It's certainly not going into the project.

It's disgusting.

no normal person bases shopping decisions on exterior mall finishes. That's absurd. Half the people that will frequent this place will be suburbanites who work in the city or tourists. That's how this works. You can't sustain a 700k sf mall on millenials who live in CC and only eat organic produce and drink $8 beers.

Do you really think the legal agreements that outlined the subsidy get into exterior cladding materials?

iamrobk Oct 4, 2017 1:10 PM

Y'all ever stop and look at what KOP looks like from the outside? And that's arguably the ritziest mall in the entire country. The Gallery or whatever it's called will be fine assuming they can get the tenants.

allovertown Oct 4, 2017 1:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamrobk (Post 7941959)
Y'all ever stop and look at what KOP looks like from the outside? And that's arguably the ritziest mall in the entire country. The Gallery or whatever it's called will be fine assuming they can get the tenants.

:tup:

Redddog Oct 4, 2017 3:21 PM

I don't think it looks all that bad.

If you re-clad the upper levels (which look absolutely ridiculous - this CAN'T be the final plan), it'll look fine.

Lemme get my fire suit.....

Knight Hospitaller Oct 4, 2017 3:26 PM

It's all guess work, but there are still "The Gallery" signs on the cladding that nobody likes. SOMETHING is going to be done up there out of necessity, because of the rebranding.

allovertown Oct 4, 2017 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller (Post 7942087)
It's all guess work, but there are still "The Gallery" signs on the cladding that nobody likes. SOMETHING is going to be done up there out of necessity, because of the rebranding.

Lol i love the gallery logo I wish they were updating the signs and keeping the same name. Most Philadelphians will forever call it the gallery anyway.

I agree though, they're definitely gonna to do something up there. We'll have to wait to see what. I'm not expecting much but it will surely be better than what is currently there.

Knight Hospitaller Oct 4, 2017 6:03 PM

I like the old name better too. Of course it's still Delaware Ave and Wanamakers to me, etc.

3rd&Brown Oct 4, 2017 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1487 (Post 7941954)
no normal person bases shopping decisions on exterior mall finishes. That's absurd. Half the people that will frequent this place will be suburbanites who work in the city or tourists. That's how this works. You can't sustain a 700k sf mall on millenials who live in CC and only eat organic produce and drink $8 beers.

Do you really think the legal agreements that outlined the subsidy get into exterior cladding materials?

Ok, we'll see how it goes, Darryl Clarke.

Capsule F Oct 4, 2017 6:36 PM

The BCF facade is indeed trash, hopefully we will be overwhelmed by the scale of the new facades and will at best fade into mediocrity.

SEFTA Oct 4, 2017 7:03 PM

It's Center City's strip mall. Which is ok. It's sort of a necessity and I think it will be a big success. I like the dramatic new entrance. It looks like similar projects across the country where they turned malls inside out. I am really hoping the other adjoining block is not done in the same finish. It sort of reminds me of Herald Square. I'm not convinced we necessarily got what was paid for.

1487 Oct 4, 2017 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown (Post 7942365)
Ok, we'll see how it goes, Darryl Clarke.

I don't understand the reference. When you look at the location of the gallery it's easy to see that once it's rehabbed a large contingent of it's customers will be convention goers and office workers who commute into the city. Do you honestly think they won't spend money in there based on a bland mall like facade?

El Duderino Oct 4, 2017 9:12 PM

I don't get why people are defending something that is so ugly; we all want it to be a success and serve all of the potential customers who frequent the area, but that tile on the Burlington looks straight up bad. And I believe in the renders no changes are to be made to the upper areas of the facade (though i'd assume the out-of-date signage would come down and it will all get cleaned up).

That said, the blocks to the west should look way better than Burlington. It also appears they the street-level frontage along this stretch will be something different than tile, as the 2nd/3rd floors were tiled, with the ground floor facade still exposed as of this afternoon. If they're consistent with the lighter gray tile over this stretch, add some signage and keep the ground level open with lots of glass, it could turn out not bad, if uninspired.

Knight Hospitaller Oct 4, 2017 10:09 PM

The renderings make it appear that the upper stories will change only with a cleaning and/or new/video signage. Different shades of tile will cover the lower portions. I think it's going to be a variation on the Burlington theme throughout. This is not a case of being disappointed in reality vs. renderings. Nobody much liked the renderings in the first place, if I recall correctly.

allovertown Oct 4, 2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Duderino (Post 7942608)
I don't get why people are defending something that is so ugly; we all want it to be a success and serve all of the potential customers who frequent the area, but that tile on the Burlington looks straight up bad. And I believe in the renders no changes are to be made to the upper areas of the facade (though i'd assume the out-of-date signage would come down and it will all get cleaned up).

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm certainly not defending the aesthetics. The new part looks cheap and gaudy the old part is incongruous with the new and seems to have needed a power wash since the Carter administration. I'm simply saying that the fact it looks bad is not reason to declare the project a failure and demand our money back.

The gallery was a huge blight on center city. However this looks, it is certain to look better than it did before and if it actually succeeds in bringing destination shopping and dining to this part of the city, then this will be hugely transformational project, gaudy tile not withstanding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller (Post 7942662)
The renderings make it appear that the upper stories will change only with a cleaning and/or new/video signage. Different shades of tile will cover the lower portions. I think it's going to be a variation on the Burlington theme throughout. This is not a case of being disappointed in reality vs. renderings. Nobody much liked the renderings in the first place, if I recall correctly.

Exactly. Plus this. People already mourned the aesthetics like 2 years ago. Not sure why people are freaking out now that it looks as cheap as it did in the renders.

hammersklavier Oct 4, 2017 11:40 PM

Has anybody been in Brewerytown recently? The neighborhood is on fire! There's a ton of new construction and rehabs and it's gotten as far north as Athletic Square and as far east as 25th & Thompson. Brewerytown as a whole is amazingly intact, too, and the Girard Avenue retail corridor has really filled in as well.

El Duderino Oct 4, 2017 11:59 PM

brewerytown has a really nice vibe and is going nuts in a really thoughtful way. there's a good crew of developers doing good stuff up there. the pyramid electric building is a personal favorite and i'm stoked to see what mmpartners do reuse-wise with some of their other holdings.

summersm343 Oct 5, 2017 1:56 AM

Ortlieb Square Project Moving Along Nicely But We’re Haunted By Ghosts

http://www.ocfrealty.com/wp-content/...0/IMG_2287.jpg

http://www.ocfrealty.com/wp-content/...0/IMG_2289.jpg

http://www.ocfrealty.com/wp-content/...0/IMG_2291.jpg

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...g-along-nicely

Larry King Oct 5, 2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammersklavier (Post 7942752)
Has anybody been in Brewerytown recently? The neighborhood is on fire! There's a ton of new construction and rehabs and it's gotten as far north as Athletic Square and as far east as 25th & Thompson. Brewerytown as a whole is amazingly intact, too, and the Girard Avenue retail corridor has really filled in as well.

Strawberry mansion is next !

1487 Oct 5, 2017 2:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Duderino (Post 7942608)

That said, the blocks to the west should look way better than Burlington. It also appears they the street-level frontage along this stretch will be something different than tile, as the 2nd/3rd floors were tiled, with the ground floor facade still exposed as of this afternoon. If they're consistent with the lighter gray tile over this stretch, add some signage and keep the ground level open with lots of glass, it could turn out not bad, if uninspired.

Who is defending anything? Not anyone I've seen posting. Several have said the APPEARANCE of the building has little influence on whether not folks spend money or the prospects of success. That's what I'm reading.