SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Area Low- and Mid-Rise Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219021)

nickw252 Dec 1, 2015 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 7253775)
What direction is that rendering looking towards? I always assumed it was from the center of central and McDowell looking NW, but the lanes don't match and there isn't a traffic signal (not to mention it would be uninviting to hang out right next to the roads like that). Maybe the architect just took some liberties to make it look better.

Looks like Central and McDowell looking northwest. You can see the train in the right side of the picture (note: AZCentral cropped the picture).

http://i68.tinypic.com/2j49i83.jpg

I think you're right though, the architect took some liberties to make that corner look a little more inviting.

biggus diggus Dec 1, 2015 3:37 PM

AZCentral is really annoying me! I can't view the article unless I pay them money.

Oh well :/

muertecaza Dec 1, 2015 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7253821)
AZCentral is really annoying me! I can't view the article unless I pay them money.

Type the title of the article into Google (roughly "posh apartments going up on prime central") and click on the link through the search results and you should be able to get there.

nickw252 Dec 1, 2015 3:56 PM

Quote:

It's not very substantive, but here it is:

Quote:

The Muse is on a “high-profile corner, which is located in one of the city’s most culturally rich areas, neighboring the Phoenix Art Museum, Heard Museum and Arizona Opera,” he said.

Central Phoenix has become a hotspot for condo and apartment development. Several urban housing developments in the area are underway including Union@Roosevelt, en Hance Park and Portland On The Park.

An official groundbreaking for The Muse with Mayor Greg Stanton in attendance is planned for Dec. 10. Plans call for the development to be open to renters in March 2017.

Lennar paid $12.75 million for The Muse site last fall. Several housing projects have been planned at various times over the past few decades.

A group including Israel-based BSR Group sold the Phoenix corner to Lennar. BSR paid $25.6 million for the site during the housing boom in 2006. BSR had planned to build three residential towers with 1,200 apartments and retail.

Lennar, known as one the nation's largest homebuilders, has expanded into the apartment and condo market. Its multifamily division developed the luxury apartment complex in Tempe called Skywater at Town Lake.

Apartments at The Muse will range from 506 to about 1,300 square feet. No estimate on rents yet.

biggus diggus Dec 1, 2015 3:58 PM

Thanks!

PHX31 Dec 1, 2015 4:23 PM

Quote:

Not sure about other web browsers, but on Chrome just open an incognito window and you can see any article on azcentral.

pbenjamin Dec 1, 2015 5:35 PM

Here is a view looking southwest.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/619/23...c11d0b49_b.jpg

gymratmanaz Dec 1, 2015 6:06 PM

I like the wide sidewalk, with both palm trees and shade trees!!!

combusean Dec 1, 2015 7:12 PM

A friend of a friend was complaining how this heaven-forbid 5 story building "dominates" the one story historic neighborhood next to it while ignoring it's in a well-established high rise corridor next to mass transit. And my friend is a respected urbanist.

You would think by their reaction it would be randomly firing cruise missiles into the Willo.

biggus diggus Dec 1, 2015 8:09 PM

So he's mad there's dense housing in an urban neighborhood, got it.

pbenjamin Dec 1, 2015 8:21 PM

Speaking as a Willo board member and chairman of the Zoning Committee, Willo doesn't have a problem with it.

combusean Dec 1, 2015 8:39 PM

^ Was there any consternation about it?

(btw, I moved this discussion into the lowrise thread)

pbenjamin Dec 1, 2015 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7254289)
^ Was there any consternation about it?

(btw, I moved this discussion into the lowrise thread)

Not that I'm aware of. There are the usual concerns about constructio noise, etc., and we think the city is going to have put a light at 1st Ave/McDowell, but that will work itself out. Note that the board had supported the previously planned high rise on that property. A couple of months ago I took a group to meet with the Arthaus folks and the reaction to that was very positive.

PHX31 Dec 2, 2015 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 7252912)
Demolition has begun on the NWC of 3rd St and Thomas Rd.

Some of you may have insight into this, but regarding the demolition of several "historic" (old) houses for this site, is anyone going to be salvaging anything from this project? Old windows? Doors? Hardware?

I mean, it's nothing too special, but I'm sure there is some worthwhile stuff in these old houses that would better be served anywhere than the dump.

CrestedSaguaro Dec 2, 2015 6:28 PM

Quote:

Delete you browser history (just cookies and temp files) whenever you reach the article limit. It will reset the article count.

HX_Guy Dec 2, 2015 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7255377)
Delete you browser history (just cookies and temp files) whenever you reach the article limit. It will reset the article count.

Better yet, open a browser in Private mode when there's an article you want to read. :)

CrestedSaguaro Dec 2, 2015 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 7255443)
Better yet, open a browser in Private mode when there's an article you want to read. :)

Yea...that too, lol

CrestedSaguaro Dec 2, 2015 7:15 PM

I don't recall seeing the rendering posted anywhere. So, here's McKinley Row, the project that's getting built on top of the huge dirt pile at the NWC of McKinley and 4th Ave.

http://i.imgur.com/w5rEVbSh.jpg

biggus diggus Dec 2, 2015 8:00 PM

I posted that pile of dirt last week and will update during the process, my office is across the street.

Jjs5056 Dec 3, 2015 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxnative (Post 7253515)
Luckily, doesn't look to be more than 4-5 stories.

Is that sarcasm? This project is garbage, and yes, that photo of what looks to be the corner of a Target is what will front McDowell/Central. Mid-way along Central is a super-urban parking lot. The minimal retail spaces will be a much-needed (not) coffee house and a salon relocating from another part of downtown. And, of course, these won't be affordable to the artists, dancers, and actors surrounding the property.

I loved HX or Hoover's idea back in the day for attracting a Musical Instrument Museum into a mixed-use project on that site. You'd think they would at least try to work with their location as the connection between downtown and midtown's arts district, but... nah.