SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Millie on Michigan/CitizenM (300 N Michigan Ave) | 523 ft | 47 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240138)

spyguy Mar 10, 2020 6:28 AM

On the other hand....

Quote:

Adjustable Concrete Construction
February 25 at 6:43 PM

The fourth spring project we are featuring is a big one. 300 N Michigan with our good friends at Linn-Mathes is scheduled for a concrete start in May. Great collaboration with WSP and bKL Architecture helped us work through some challenging structural details and architectural constraints. We're excited to get this one started soon.

Handro Mar 10, 2020 11:41 AM

That’s a relief, thanks spy guy.

What a roller coaster.

Skyguy_7 Mar 10, 2020 12:08 PM

^Only a roller coaster due to some unfounded speculation :koko:

pilsenarch Mar 10, 2020 3:04 PM

^my info came from the lead designer @bKL on the project...

Skyguy_7 Mar 10, 2020 5:12 PM

^I was more remarking on the "it's dead" and "will be a hole in the streetwall for[ever]." :haha:

Steely Dan Mar 10, 2020 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8856990)
^I was more remarking on the "it's dead" and "will be a hole in the streetwall for[ever]." :haha:

but no one said either of those things. :shrug:

r18tdi Mar 10, 2020 5:24 PM

If Sterling Bay leaves it vacant long enough maybe they'll get a juicy TIF?

Kumdogmillionaire Mar 10, 2020 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 8857011)
If Sterling Bay leaves it vacant long enough maybe they'll get a juicy TIF?

Hoping this is tongue in cheek... not how TIF works

the urban politician Jul 16, 2020 7:25 PM

Hells yeah!

A 47-story North Michigan Avenue high-rise is set to begin during the pandemic. Sterling Bay CEO says it took a ‘herculean effort.’
By RYAN ORI
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
JUL 16, 2020

Quote:

Two major Chicago developers are expected to break ground next month on a 47-story apartment and hotel tower on North Michigan Avenue, in what would become the first high-rise to get underway in the city since the coronavirus pandemic shut down much of the economy.

Sterling Bay and Magellan Development Group on Thursday secured $174.5 million in construction financing for the long-planned tower at 300 N. Michigan Ave.

Construction of the $250 million project just south of the Chicago River is set to begin in early August and will take almost two years to complete, Sterling Bay CEO Andy Gloor said.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...urce=onesignal

https://www.chicagotribune.com/resiz...KLOVDOQHW4.jpg

the urban politician Jul 16, 2020 7:26 PM

I gotta tell you guys, this pandemic had been really depressing.

But it really uplifts one to see that projects are still trudging forward. Gives one hope for the future. Kudos to SB

Steely Dan Jul 16, 2020 7:32 PM

Wow, I thought this one was a lock to sit idle for a good long while due to the Covid.

Color me genuinely surprised.

pianowizard Jul 16, 2020 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8983448)

CHICAGO TRIBUNE wrote: "...the first high-rise to get underway in the city since the coronavirus pandemic shut down much of the economy"

That's incorrect, since Salesforce Tower began construction about two months ago.

Tom In Chicago Jul 16, 2020 7:47 PM

Referring to this perhaps. . .

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...xfy-story.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune
A 47-story North Michigan Avenue high-rise is set to begin during the pandemic. Sterling Bay CEO says it took a ‘herculean effort.’

By RYAN ORI
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
JUL 16, 2020 AT 1:52 PM

Two major Chicago developers are expected to break ground next month on a 47-story apartment and hotel tower on North Michigan Avenue, in what would become the first high-rise to get underway in the city since the coronavirus pandemic shut down much of the economy.

Sterling Bay and Magellan Development Group on Thursday secured $174.5 million in construction financing for the long-planned tower at 300 N. Michigan Ave.

Developers Sterling Bay and Magellan Development Group are set to start building a 47-story apartment and hotel tower at 300 N. Michigan Ave., after securing $174.5 million in construction financing. The $250 million project will be the first Chicago high-rise to kick off construction during the coronavirus pandemic. (bKL Architecture)

Construction of the $250 million project just south of the Chicago River is set to begin in early August and will take almost two years to complete, Sterling Bay CEO Andy Gloor said.

. . .

CrazyCres Jul 16, 2020 8:32 PM

Such a welcomed surprise :)

chicagodeckerdude Jul 16, 2020 8:58 PM

Love seeing new buildings rise all over Chicago...but genuinely a little sad to lose an Epic unobstructed view of the Carbide & Carbon building with this one landing right next to it. I'll get over it though.

KWillChicago Jul 16, 2020 10:01 PM

So good to hear. Gonna miss the retro video game staircase wall.

r18tdi Jul 16, 2020 10:08 PM

Starting a hotel project? Ok... :koko:

ardecila Jul 16, 2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagodeckerdude (Post 8983541)
Love seeing new buildings rise all over Chicago...but genuinely a little sad to lose an Epic unobstructed view of the Carbide & Carbon building with this one landing right next to it. I'll get over it though.

I agree, I would have preferred a different massing that preserved views of C&C.

Hopefully we'll get some more thoughtful project review out of the new team at DPD than we've gotten in the past. I've already had the Planning Commissioner Cox himself weigh in on a small chain restaurant project I'm working on.

The Lurker Jul 17, 2020 3:47 AM

Quote:

I was selfishly hoping this one would fall through the cracks and one day be replaced by a shorter or more architecturally significant design. But good news is good news. SB can get things done.

HomrQT Jul 17, 2020 1:45 PM

Quote:

Take as many photos of the Carbide & Carbon building as you can before it's covered up.