SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Google Sketchup (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   SSP Competition: Green Voting (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171489)

Aleks Jul 14, 2009 3:44 AM

SSP Competition: Green Voting

Well, we only got 4 entries on this one but it's better than nothing! Plus some of these are pretty cool!

Entry 1: Untitled

This building is located in Lexington, Kentucky. It features green space on every level of the tower. It also has Helix wind turbines from Erez on 3d warehouse to help offset energy costs. It is also twists and overhangs on the stories below it to provide shade and reduce energy cost. It stands 326 feet tall.

Entry 2: Financial Towers

Entry 3: The Horizon

BUILDING DETAILS:

Official height: 264 m. (866.14 ft.)

Floor count: 68 floors

fl to fl: 3 meters (9.84 ft.)

use: mix-used

RENDER:

Entry 4: Zenit Tower:

Vote!

Skyscraper100 Jul 14, 2009 4:56 AM

i voted the enrty 1, because of its shape

Flamesrule Jul 14, 2009 1:27 PM

I voted for 2 because of where the panels are and because I just liked the shape

BoiseAirport Jul 14, 2009 1:32 PM

The renderings for Number 2 are simply top-notch!! I really like number 3 and number 1, however, I went with number 3, for I simply feel the design was the most unique and aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Dac150 Jul 14, 2009 2:48 PM

1.Very intriguing design, very original but not quite realistic from my perspective.
2.Well planned and thought out, love the type of architecture, but it doesn’t scream GREEN
3.Attractive design, green features are very apparent and realistic. Earned my vote.
4.Good attempt, interesting design that I could envision getting built.

toyota74 Jul 14, 2009 4:00 PM

no.4 nice but just not enough work and the trees on the balconies will have to be removed as they grow.
no.3 my second vote,this building could really produce energy and i like the curved parts but the rest of the facades are too plain.
no.2 just got my vote cos i like the building and maybe cos all the windows
make small but some energy,reallly hate the landscaping too disney.
no.1 too much energy to rotate a building.

:tup:

Aleks Jul 14, 2009 11:11 PM

1. I like the design. Doesn't really seem possible though, it needs a core to support the floors. The wind-turbines look awesome though! They're just a little too low to get strong enough wind to make them generate power.

2. Nice renderings. I like the design too, but it feels a little old. Looks like a 90's WTC. And like Dac said, it doesn't really scream "green"

3. Great design and I love the wind-turbines. But other than that it doesn't seem to green. The floor-to-floor seems a little short though, usually LEED buildings have floor-to-floor heights of 13 feet! I do like the small foot-print thought, that means more plaza space is available.

4. Got my vote. Sure it was the least detailed, but the green features were in there. I love that the panels on the roof take up a large amount of space. Also, the tress are awesome. They won't haver to be cut down, they would have to choose a tree that grows a certain height. The floor-to-ceiling window's are also a big plus because more light enters the building. But the balconies prevent direct sunlight [which can heat up the building, increasing A/C usage] from entering. Another thing I liked was the small, triangular foot-print. This means less wasted land, more plaza space for pedestrians. One thing I didn't like were the exposed stairs, if they were inside a glass shell they would look better.

So yeah, number 4 gets my vote!

Austin55 Jul 14, 2009 11:39 PM

#1 is just to crazy for me, but the texturing is good. Love the windmills though
#2 Is really "corporate", nice buildings, horrifying at street level though.
#3 is well modeled but to funky again
#4 Isnt really modeled well, but it made exellent use of the edges. Nice desighn overall.

I dont get the concept of big trees on skyscrapers, the root system for a well taken care of oak tree is huge, you would bassicly have to fill a swimming pool with soil and dirt for it to grow. And when it dies that kinda sucks for you. Little vegetable gardens and stuff could work though.

Ar92 Jul 15, 2009 12:10 AM

[edited]...

Austin55 Jul 15, 2009 12:16 AM

We a stadium comp alittle back, but actually I thought it was pretty fun.

Ar92 Jul 15, 2009 12:21 AM

:previous: oh! didn't knew sorry :D

Aleks Jul 15, 2009 12:58 AM

Hey Ar92, welcome and good thing you entered a comp, even though you're new. Anyways, just a note, don't say which entry is yours. It's better to keep them random. Then when the voting is over, the winner is announced and so are the other contestants.

That goes for you too SS100!

Ar92 Jul 15, 2009 1:21 AM

:previous: heheh you're right sorry...problem fixed!!:) oh..and thanks!

Patrick Jul 15, 2009 9:05 AM

1) I can easily see this being built, but maybe not so dramatic, I don't see how it can stand, but definantly the most interesting and just screams GREEN, nice touch with the windmills, got my vote! :yes:

2) While the building's are nice, the plaza seems to be a mess, and really theres nothing creative at all, had this been a different competition these would have been great towers. Only tinted windows and solar panels, it just seems all to uncreative and boring, pretty renderings though!

3) This one almost got my vote, now this is a GREEN building, excellent job, very creative, very modern, I can easily see this one being built just about anywhere, not too daring but not too boring, but I just didn't like the blank walls, that lost my vote.

4) I don't really get this one at all, there's just no info and I don't see how this building could work out, balconies that long with a building that thin, I don't think its very realistic. The trees would weigh down the balconies, roots would break through, causing it to collapse. However with work I can see this could be a very beautiful building with hanging gardens and a modern design.

burjdubai91 Jul 15, 2009 10:53 AM

I voted for number three for its clever and unique design. Its something you could easily identify with, without being too outlandish or out of context. It would fit Penang well. The first design was nice though it might look a bit unstable, and I think it doesn't fit the urban context. It would look nice in a not so urbanized area. The second design had fantastic renders but the design is not that groundbreaking, but still nice. The last one, I almost voted for, coz its simple and very 'buildable.' You could have this constructed with today's technology, but again, the design needs to show off a little bit. Otherwise, it was a wonderful effort.

I badly wanted to join the competition... Maybe next time... lol... Nice job guys!

Skyscraper100 Jul 15, 2009 11:58 AM

oh youre here! welcome to skyscraperpage!

burjdubai91 Jul 15, 2009 12:00 PM

haha...yeah... just recently discovered the forum though I've been visiting the skyscraperpage site since I was ten... lol...

Skyscraper100 Jul 15, 2009 12:07 PM

btw thanks for your vote! :D

toyota74 Jul 15, 2009 7:28 PM

we have modellers on ssp.we have modellers on ssc.we have modellers on
ssp and ssc...since this comp had a low turnout whynot invite people
from ssc into the comps....a combined ssp/ssc comp

just a thought cos i think they have no comps on ssc.

Duffstuff129 Jul 15, 2009 8:42 PM

I voted #4 because it actually seemed like the modeller tried to make a green building, with the trees and other green attributes integrated into the design, rather than just "tacking them on" like in #2 and #1.

And #3 is just very gimmicky-looking and unattractive.

However, I mean no offense to anyone. They were all very nice! Great job!