SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Denscity Jun 2, 2022 1:19 AM

Fiji Airways is hiring in Vancouver?

zahav Jun 2, 2022 4:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9639069)

Interesting! They flew here many moons ago as Air Pacific, but never non-stop, always operated flights to Hawaii and then continued on. I wonder if this time will be non-stop? I am pretty sure this is far out of range for a 737 Max-8 if it was non-stop, but easily do-able if it stopped in HNL again, or another stopover. Will be interesting to see what they come out with

thenoflyzone Jun 2, 2022 7:31 AM

^ If it happens, it will surely be non stop NAN-YVR service on either A332 or A350.

Denscity Jun 2, 2022 3:59 PM

I saw it on Indeed but at first I only thought it was an office/call centre type of job but sounds like its more. That would be an exotic tail to spot at any airport!

whatnext Jun 2, 2022 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9639069)

They used to fly here, around the same time Aloha flew to HNL.

Might just be a generic hiring ad, I recently saw one for Qatar and don't think they have any plans to fly here.

ninjakafi_81 Jun 2, 2022 4:53 PM

This talk about Fiji Airways reminds me of this article that was posted about a month ago.

New Routes On The Agenda For Fiji Airways

https://simpleflying.com/new-routes-fiji-airways/

Quote:

Fiji Airways is eyeing some new long-range destinations with bookings on current routes returning to near pre-pandemic levels. Aside from some repatriation and special charter flying, Fiji's international airline only resumed flying late last year after a near two-year grounding. But business so far is good, and the airline's CEO wants to add some new destinations to the Fiji Airway's schedules.

Fiji Airways gets back to business

In addition to flights around Fiji's immediate neighborhood, Fiji Airways currently flies to five medium and long-haul countries. In Australia, Sydney (SYD), Melbourne (MEL), and Brisbane (BNE) are all seeing Fiji Airways jets. The airline flies to the US destinations of Los Angles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), and Honolulu (HNL).

Fiji Airways flights to Auckland (AKL) and Christchurch (CHC) have also resumed. Singapore (SIN) is also back on the books with a weekly A330-200 service. There's also a weekly flight to Hong Kong (HKG), while Tokyo (NRT) remains out of the schedule, primarily due to Japan's inbound travel restrictions. All in all, it's a solid rebound for an airline that boasts just 13 planes and, until December, wasn't really flying anywhere at all.

Fiji Airways CEO flags some new destinations for the airline
Last week, Fiji Airways CEO Andre Viljoen told the Fijian Broadcasting Corporation that bookings on his airline on existing routes were increasing every week. "We are only 6% behind the bookings that we had for the same period in 2019, and that period is from April to September this year,” he said. In April, the airline reported 70,000 new bookings for the month - again, not bad for a small airline with a limited footprint.

"For our network overall, we are growing at about 11% week by week. Markets like Australia are 15% per week, and New Zealand, which has just taken off, is increasing at 38% per week. We are focusing on ourselves and making sure that we are competitive. We are looking at some new destinations, so we will shortly be announcing some new destinations we will be serving in the world.”

Guessing game for likely new Fiji Airways destinations

Tourism is critical not just to Fiji Airways' passenger loads but also for the Fijian economy's overall well-being. While Mr Viljoen is "very happy" with loads on the existing services, his comments on new destinations will spark speculation. Perth (PER) in Western Australia is one untried possibility, but Fiji Airways would have to compete with the hordes of sandgropers who go to Bali.

A direct link to Bali (DPS) is another interesting possibility. A little further afield is India - Fiji has a large Indian population and no direct air link. On the other side of the Pacific, destinations like Vancouver (YVR), Seattle (SEA), and even Santiago (SCL) are all well within the range of Fiji Airways A350-900s and A330-200s.

Of course, China lurks - it's a big market, and no direct passenger flights between the two countries exist. But flying to China comes with complications, not least reciprocal flying rights for Chinese airlines. As other countries have found, those carriers are very good at swamping markets with excess capacity and tying up the bulk of business on the country pair. Perhaps China is a road state-owned Fiji Airways does not want to go down, but it will be interesting to see Fiji Airways flies to next.
Although it's just speculation but YVR was mentioned in this article. Also a comment mentioned that they're looking for new destinations outside of Australia, New Zealand, and the US according to Fijian media.

zahav Jun 2, 2022 4:54 PM

Based on the job posting, it does heavily imply they will be flying here. I saw it on LinkedIn. Some of the job responsibilities:
• Drives and motivates contracted Ground Handler to maximize revenue through ancillary sales and minimize financial risks caused by irregular operations
• Conducts pre-flight checks on system (Customer Management or Amadeus) and communicate the required corrective actions where applicable within company guidelines
• Influences and monitors the delivery of customer service satisfaction by contracted ground handler to ensure compliance with Service Level Agreement, Fiji Airways Ground Operations manual, safety, security and Dangerous goods policies and procedures.

Having worked for an airline for years, doing contracted ground ops for another airline, a role like this would only be required if the airline was flying here (ie. this position is not required for a codeshare arrangement, like what they have with Alaska). It sounds like they plan to fly their own planes but use a contracted ground handler, which is the norm. This position is essentially to make sure operations run smooth and be a corporate presence to manage the ground handler. All airlines that operate here and use 3rd party handlers have these roles, there's always some higher level representative who actually works for the airline that oversees things.

Having a widebody from them would be awesome!

thenoflyzone Jun 2, 2022 7:25 PM

2x weekly non stop to NAN sounds about right.

They have a very limited long haul fleet, so there is only so much they can do, assuming they will ramp up their existing destinations as well, as demand picks up.

Timing is good for a northern winter 2021-2022 launch, if they announce in the next couple of weeks.

LO 044 Jun 2, 2022 10:26 PM

At the end of the day I think everyone is happy about Flair's news... ...except maybe WestJet. Oh well.

Djeffery Jun 3, 2022 12:16 AM

Apologies for the tangent, but I thought some here would enjoy this story. I listen to Peter Mansbridge's podcast most days and Thursday is mail day. He spends some time in Scotland each year, and he received an email this week from someone who also is in Scotland and suggested Peter visit a particular air museum that has a Concorde on display. The guy goes on to tell the tale that he worked for British Airways in Toronto in the 80's and was selected for a ride on the Concorde up to the Arctic Circle that BA was doing for some staff in Canada. He declined the ride because he had tickets to a U2 concert that same day in Toronto. His reasoning was "I can always catch a ride on the Concorde, but who knows how long this band is going to be around" lol.

thenoflyzone Jun 3, 2022 12:41 AM

^ that’s hilarious……:haha:

nname Jun 5, 2022 1:55 AM

AC have posted the W22 schedule, and looks like many of the routes are still in a reduced state. I didn't keep a record for W21 schedule, so cannot compare... but it's a big reduction from the original schedule possibly for "normal" operation.

Some notable changes (some already posted):
- AC will fly from YYZ to both HND and NRT (NRT will replace the YYC-NRT flight)
- AC will fly from YYZ and YYC to both HNL and OGG, but no Hawaii flight from YUL this year.
- YVR-YHZ will be year-round, along with increase for YYC-YHZ
- Many sun routes are converted from Rouge to mainline, and there will be no Rouge route from both YVR and YYC
- YYZ to both YQR and YXE will become Rouge
- AC will maintain limited flight to China with 2x weekly to PVG from both YVR and YYZ with stop at ICN through at least Mar 23, with all other flights cancelled.

thenoflyzone Jun 5, 2022 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9641350)
no Hawaii flight from YUL this year.

Not surprising. It barely flew in W21 to begin with. They canceled the route after a handful of flights i believe.

hehehe Jun 5, 2022 5:24 PM

Quote:

AC have posted the W22 schedule, and looks like many of the routes are still in a reduced state. I didn't keep a record for W21 schedule, so cannot compare... but it's a big reduction from the original schedule possibly for "normal" operation.

- AC will fly from YYZ to both HND and NRT (NRT will replace the YYC-NRT flight)
- AC will fly from YYZ and YYC to both HNL and OGG, but no Hawaii flight from YUL this year.
- Many sun routes are converted from Rouge to mainline, and there will be no Rouge route from both YVR and YYC
- AC will maintain limited flight to China with 2x weekly to PVG from both YVR and YYZ with stop at ICN through at least Mar 23, with all other flights cancelled.

For YHZ it looks like there's a 4x weekly 10:30pm flight from YYC and a 3x weekly 10:30pm flight from YVR on the other days, while YYC also has a daily AM flight to YHZ.

thenoflyzone Jun 5, 2022 7:14 PM

AC resumed YUL-NRT yesterday. Currently only 2x weekly, but nice to see this one come back.

hemustbeaboss Jun 6, 2022 11:12 AM

Quote:

Any chance you can post the list again? Very curious on what routes got derouged… happy to see it go to mainline metal

Dominion301 Jun 6, 2022 4:34 PM

Quote:

Any Rouge this winter anywhere in Canada outside of YYZ & YUL?

Alexcaban Jun 6, 2022 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemustbeaboss (Post 9641912)
Any chance you can post the list again? Very curious on what routes got derouged… happy to see it go to mainline metal

I noticed,

Rouge to Mainline:

YUL/YYZ-MIA (currently mainline this summer)
YUL/YYZ-PBI
YUL/YYZ-FLL (currently rouge this summer)
YUL-RSW

Mainline to Rouge:

YUL-MBJ
YUL/YYZ-SJU
YUL/YYZ-CUR
YOW-FLL

Mix:

YUL/YYZ-CUN 77W/ A321/ 319
YUL/YYZ-PUJ 789/ A319

nname Jun 6, 2022 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemustbeaboss (Post 9641912)

All the changes are posted to google flights, as previously posted, many Florida and Mexican routes from YUL/YYZ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9642134)
Any Rouge this winter anywhere in Canada outside of YYZ & YUL?

Sun routes:
YQB, YOW, YHZ

Domestic routes:
YQT, YYJ, YLW, YXE, YQR

thewave46 Jun 6, 2022 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djeffery (Post 9640005)
Apologies for the tangent, but I thought some here would enjoy this story. I listen to Peter Mansbridge's podcast most days and Thursday is mail day. He spends some time in Scotland each year, and he received an email this week from someone who also is in Scotland and suggested Peter visit a particular air museum that has a Concorde on display. The guy goes on to tell the tale that he worked for British Airways in Toronto in the 80's and was selected for a ride on the Concorde up to the Arctic Circle that BA was doing for some staff in Canada. He declined the ride because he had tickets to a U2 concert that same day in Toronto. His reasoning was "I can always catch a ride on the Concorde, but who knows how long this band is going to be around" lol.

That story reminds me of this article:

Sometimes the Obvious Choice is the Wrong One

For those who didn't read the link, a car columnist had a choice at a PR event: Either personally drive a lap in an F1 car, or get a ride in one from a pro driver. Most chose to drive: When would they ever get to drive an F1 car again? Except that they couldn't even come close to exploiting the potential of the machine.

The guy who got a ride as a passenger? He stumbled out, mind-blown after that lap.

The obvious choice being the wrong one.