SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Tempe Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96153)

HX_Guy Jan 23, 2009 12:49 AM

That sucks...what brought you to that decision?

Vicelord John Jan 23, 2009 12:52 AM

the affordable mature lush neighborhoods, the great nightlife, public transit, the relatively low crime rate, and probably some other factors that I'm forgetting. I just did 26 miles on my bike in the Mcdowell Mountain Preserve. My mind isn't working, lol.

combusean Jan 23, 2009 1:44 AM

Mill is a basketcase. Tempe Marketplace has all those people now, and while it is useful to have *that much* retail there, it's an abomination.

My tradeoff for a low crime rate is not having the cops bored out of their mind.

Tempe beats Phoenix wrt transit two ways. While Tempe has vaguely later bus hours, the system isnt 100% useful to me in that case (as driver, taking people back to Phoenix) unless its 24 hours. They win on the neighborhood shuttles tho.

A Mountain is nice, but its overrun with college students. I don't know about the lush neighborhoods bit tho. Mill is nice and shaded but then I look at 2nd Avenue coming alive.

PhxPavilion Jan 23, 2009 9:53 AM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3478/...13089b.jpg?v=0

Phoenix should take note of how to do a transit center.

NorthScottsdale Jan 23, 2009 4:21 PM

I love how clean the air gets after it rains here.. everything looks freshly polished

Vicelord John Jan 23, 2009 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthScottsdale (Post 4043284)
I love how clean the air gets after it rains here.. everything looks freshly polished

ummmmmmmmmm... Thats because its wet... Not because of clean air.

Im really starting to wonder about people.

Sonoran_Dweller Jan 27, 2009 6:20 AM

I saw a bit of activity today at the future Marriott hotel site. Two yellow construction vehicles that have big shovels were dropped of at the site. Also construction crews were taking out parts of the sidewalk along 5th street. Looks like construction will be starting soon.

This project has not been mentioned for some time, here is the information on the Tempe website:http://www.tempe.gov/maps/DevProject...a-85f96d58aa92

Jsmscaleros Jan 27, 2009 10:15 PM

Where will this hotel be located?

nickkoto Jan 28, 2009 5:37 AM

I believe it's going between the city hall and the University Towers dorms on 5th and Forest, right across the street from the TTC. Not a terrible location at all for a hotel.

Jsmscaleros Jan 28, 2009 9:14 AM

Oh, nice - I was wondering why they left that parking garage completely bare on the east side... the hotel will probably attach right to it. That will certainly fill in that area very well, I think.

nickkoto Feb 4, 2009 7:07 AM

There's a really cool bronze statue on the ASU campus, recently donated, that got vandalized last night. Bastards. It was just brought in last week and they hadn't even completed the installation.

From the State Press
http://www.asuwebdevil.com/node/4036

Quote:

http://www.asuwebdevil.com/files/ima...dalism_WEB.jpg

The recently donated horse statue outside the W. P. Carey School of Business was vandalized early Tuesday morning with a message expressing opposition to the school’s placement of the statue during the state’s budget crisis.

“Budget cuts[,] tuition increase[,] but at least we got the statue,” the writing said.

Cmdr. Jim Hardina of the ASU Police Department said the incident happened overnight, and police were notified around 8:15 a.m. on Tuesday.

The message was written in spray paint, he said, and there were no leads as to who might have vandalized the statue as of Tuesday afternoon.

Hardina said surveillance cameras at a nearby parking garage might have caught the incident on film, but no cameras were directly watching that area.

Robert Mittelstaedt, dean of the business school, said the vandalism of the statue was misguided.
“It shows a lack of respect for everyone in this community,” he said.

He said the school has received a lot of positive feedback about the statue, which conveys a spirit of entrepreneurship.

On top of that, the school paid no money for the statue, he said. Valued at $1.3 million, it was a donation by ASU alumna Donna Fleisher and her husband.

“The only University money being spent is used to clean it up now,” Mittelstaedt said.
And that process could cost several thousand dollars.

Because the bronze statue is about 20 years old, it has developed a greenish tint that will be hard to preserve where it was vandalized, he said.

“The statue is not brand new,” he said. “We’ll have to pay a professional restorer.”

Mittelstaedt said the school was never in a position to accept money instead of the statue.

He added that the donors specifically wanted the University to have a prominent piece of art.

“I think this is really sad because the reality is that on many well-respected university campuses around the United States there’s sculptures and statues,” he said. “This is the first, if not the only, significant big sculpture on campus here.”

Mittelstaedt said he understands people may be upset about tuition increases or budget cuts, but actions like this hurt the school as well.

If people see this kind of disrespect on campus, it might deter them from making future donations, he said.

The statue, called “Spirit,” was completed in 1989 for the Fleisher Museum in Scottsdale. It was moved to its new location outside of the business school on Jan. 24.

Installation and landscaping for the statue should be complete in the coming weeks, and it is expected to be dedicated shortly after, although an exact date is not set.

Reach the reporter at adam.sneed@asu.edu.

Sonoran_Dweller Feb 4, 2009 4:26 PM

What a bunch of @$$h0le$!!

Jsmscaleros Feb 4, 2009 10:33 PM

On a lighter note - the glass facade on the Tempe Gateway building (3rd and Mill) is almost complete. I'll slap up some photos soon...

Anyone keen on what shops are going in the ground level retail?

Classical in Phoenix Feb 4, 2009 10:46 PM

I know some have you have mentioned that the Tempe Center for the Arts may not be being used to its full potential. Below is an e-mail update I received from the City on a new use for the TCA.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Feb. 4, 2009

Walk in Wednesdays at TCA

TEMPE, Ariz. - Shake off the stress of the week as singer, songwriter
Walt Richardson headlines open mic performances on Wednesday evenings
beginning on Feb. 11 at the Tempe Center for the Arts, 700 W. Rio Salado
Parkway.

End the day with appetizer and drink specials from 5 to 7 p.m. and open
mic performances beginning at 7 p.m. Admission is free.

Musicians and poets are invited to drop in. All ages welcome.

For information on the Tempe Center for the Arts, visit
www.tempe.gov/TCA <http://www.tempe.gov/TCA> .

For information on Richardson, visit www.waltrichardsonmusic.com
<http://www.waltrichardsonmusic.com/> .

Jsmscaleros Feb 5, 2009 2:02 AM

Nice - I'll be there!

ciweiss Feb 5, 2009 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsmscaleros (Post 4067966)
On a lighter note - the glass facade on the Tempe Gateway building (3rd and Mill) is almost complete. I'll slap up some photos soon...

Anyone keen on what shops are going in the ground level retail?

I thought I saw a sign for UPS store but I'm not certain.

flyer84 Feb 5, 2009 5:04 PM

Did anyone notice that the former Lumina site is now for sale again on the corner of College and 5th St.?? I'm talking about the project that was once called Stadium Towers and then it changed to Lumina. The site on the corner across from the Stadium for those who don't know what I'm talking about. Anyway, there is a for sale sign up now and the banners that used to wrap around the site are all gone too. Is Lumina officially dead?

KEVINphx Feb 5, 2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyer84 (Post 4069519)
Did anyone notice that the former Lumina site is now for sale again on the corner of College and 5th St.?? I'm talking about the project that was once called Stadium Towers and then it changed to Lumina. The site on the corner across from the Stadium for those who don't know what I'm talking about. Anyway, there is a for sale sign up now and the banners that used to wrap around the site are all gone too. Is Lumina officially dead?

I noticed this today, no surprise here.

The big disappointment though is the "university square" and "mosaic" projects which destroyed the pre-existing buildings and now are vacant lots collecting garbage. Blights on the urban landscape.

I swear to god, I could smack the city for this! They need to introduce some sort of legislation that does not allow them to demolish existing structures until they have full financing and are ready to break ground. Until then, our cities will continue to be dotted by dirt fields.

Urban Rising Feb 5, 2009 11:40 PM

University square is not completely dead. There is obviously no financing at this juncture, however the project has evolved to be only a hotel. Additionally the developer group has changed and Triyar is no longer involved. Triyar is the developer who is currently being foreclosed on for the W in Scottsdale.

Fortunalely the discussed lot is in a fantastic location and probably will not remain in its current state for more than 3 years. There is too little available prime land in Tempe.

nickkoto Feb 6, 2009 1:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVINphx (Post 4070348)
The big disappointment though is the "university square" and "mosaic" projects which destroyed the pre-existing buildings and now are vacant lots collecting garbage. Blights on the urban landscape.

That occurred to me the other day. Long Wong's was sent packing how many years ago and it's still a dirt lot?