SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

JHikka Sep 27, 2021 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9408635)
I would assume Vancouver vs Victoria would draw more people than Saint John and Drummondville? And I would think 5 million people in BC would get us something to start.

In the first six weeks it appears not, and until we get some insight we don't know how ratings really pan out. Saint John is hosting the Memorial Cup this year, which is why they're included, as well as generally being a pretty strong team.

Denscity Sep 27, 2021 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9408638)
In the first six weeks it appears not, and until we get some insight we don't know how ratings really pan out. Saint John is hosting the Memorial Cup this year, which is why they're included, as well as generally being a pretty strong team.

Ya and I realize S J is not a small town either.
Ontario got 3 games perhaps it should've been 2.
I grew up with BC being shown nowhere nationally so had to point it out yet again.
The national news is always about some other province despite our population. So we'd rather hang out with Seattle than Toronto.

JHikka Sep 27, 2021 7:27 PM

Sept 24
MLB - Jays/Twins: 756k (SN)
CFL - BC/SAK: 618k (TSN)
CFL - TOR/MTL: 339k (TSN)

Sept 25
MLB - Jays/Twins: 950k (SN)
NHL - Leafs/Habs: 635k (SN1)

Sept 26
MLB - Jays/Twins: 842k (SN)
NFL - SNF: 829k (TSN+CTV2)
NFL Late: 597k (CTV)
NFL Early: 420k (CTV)
F1 - Russian GP: 349k (TSN)

https://twitter.com/AHBSeaborn/statu...70382712639491

F1 numbers continue to be good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9408654)
Ya and I realize S J is not a small town either.
Ontario got 3 games perhaps it should've been 2.
I grew up with BC being shown nowhere nationally so had to point it out yet again.
The national news is always about some other province despite our population. So we'd rather hang out with Seattle than Toronto.

Ok.

JHikka Sep 29, 2021 9:04 PM

1.288M for Jays/Yankees last night on SN.

28,769 in attendance as the first game with increased capacity.

VANRIDERFAN Oct 2, 2021 4:28 PM

CBC GEM will be showing the GeeGees vs Ravens Panda game today from Ottawa. Nice to see the public broadcaster stepping up!

esquire Oct 2, 2021 9:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 9413437)
CBC GEM will be showing the GeeGees vs Ravens Panda game today from Ottawa. Nice to see the public broadcaster stepping up!

They had the Pats and Raiders WHL game on the main network which was also great. I only caught one period because I had to take my kid to his hockey game, but I was pretty impressed from what I saw... Brandt Centre looks good on TV, the production was top notch and I liked Sam Cosentino on the broadcast, he is very knowledgable. Connor Bedard got the last goal to make it 5-2, so the golden boy even had his moment on national TV.

The Pats shouldn't have worn their new red alternates though, they look like they're wearing practice jerseys. They would have been better off wearing the ones with their actual team logo on the front.

JHikka Oct 4, 2021 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9413611)
The Pats shouldn't have worn their new red alternates though, they look like they're wearing practice jerseys. They would have been better off wearing the ones with their actual team logo on the front.

I'm guessing the Raiders didn't wear the thirds that they officially had for less a day before the WHL and Hockey Canada forbid them from wearing and promoting. :haha:

esquire Oct 4, 2021 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9414559)
I'm guessing the Raiders didn't wear the thirds that they officially had for less a day before the WHL and Hockey Canada forbid them from wearing and promoting. :haha:

Awkward! Some things are best left in the past. (Although I would like to know how Shawinigan gets a pass, they'll be on CBC this weekend...)

The Raiders did not wear their infamous thirds although it does seem to me that teams seldom if ever wear thirds/alternates while on the road? I'm hard pressed to think of any instances where I've seen that happen.

JHikka Oct 4, 2021 2:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9414617)
Awkward! Some things are best left in the past. (Although I would like to know how Shawinigan gets a pass, they'll be on CBC this weekend...)

Lack of media coverage outside of Quebec with Quebec media seeing no issue with it? I recall going to a game in Shawinigan a few years ago and being pretty taken aback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9414617)
The Raiders did not wear their infamous thirds although it does seem to me that teams seldom if ever wear thirds/alternates while on the road? I'm hard pressed to think of any instances where I've seen that happen.

My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek. The Raiders were rightly told to forget about them, but the amount of people these sorts of things have to go through for approval (including the WHL's blessing) is mind-numbing. They still have their mascot, IIRC, as does Shawinigan.

Acajack Oct 4, 2021 2:22 PM

There has been some debate in Quebec but it has not gone over the top.

Interesting how the Chicago Blackhawks have been largely spared all of this.

Best looking jersey in all of sports BTW...

samne Oct 4, 2021 2:30 PM

Went to a Jays game Friday night . They filled the more expensive lower 100 and 200 levels to capacity. It was shoulder to shoulder and virtually nobody wearing masks in the seating area. It was an awesome experience to be back and the atmosphere was incredible. Everyone enjoying themselves. Jays night games are a party.

MonctonRad Oct 4, 2021 2:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samne (Post 9414644)
Went to a Jays game Friday night . They filled the more expensive lower 100 and 200 levels to capacity. It was shoulder to shoulder and virtually nobody wearing masks in the seating area. It was an awesome experience to be back and the atmosphere was incredible. Everyone enjoying themselves. Jays night games are a party.

The Jays have a special team right now - very exciting. I've been watching Jays games on TV for the last few weeks (I've been mostly ignoring baseball the last few years), and they have me hooked.

I've been to at least a half dozen Jays games over the years, and pandemic willing, I'll be flying up to Toronto next summer for a weekend series with my youngest son.

Go Jays!

thewave46 Oct 4, 2021 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9414647)
The Jays have a special team right now - very exciting. I've been watching Jays games on TV for the last few weeks (I've been mostly ignoring baseball the last few years), and they have me hooked.

I've been to at least a half dozen Jays games over the years, and pandemic willing, I'll be flying up to Toronto next summer for a weekend series with my youngest son.

Go Jays!

I'd say you're about a month late to the bandwagon as they just got eliminated from the wild card race yesterday. Alas, being in the AL East will do that to a middling team.

This season does bode well for the next. That should be pretty exciting.

esquire Oct 4, 2021 2:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9414634)
Lack of media coverage outside of Quebec with Quebec media seeing no issue with it? I recall going to a game in Shawinigan a few years ago and being pretty taken aback.

My son plays hockey and he loves jerseys so I'm always keeping my eyes open for good deals... I remember Shawinigan had a good Black Friday deal on their sweaters but I couldn't do it... unlike the PA third jersey that could earn you at worst a harsh rebuke on Twitter, wearing that Cataractes jersey in Winnipeg could get you into a fight, and understandably so :haha:

To Acajack's point though, yeah, it is odd that the Blackhawks don't get much heat on that front. I guess they're so familiar that people don't even notice them anymore.

JHikka Oct 4, 2021 3:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9414665)
My son plays hockey and he loves jerseys so I'm always keeping my eyes open for good deals... I remember Shawinigan had a good Black Friday deal on their sweaters but I couldn't do it... unlike the PA third jersey that could earn you at worst a harsh rebuke on Twitter, wearing that Cataractes jersey in Winnipeg could get you into a fight, and understandably so :haha:

I don't think the current Shawinigan brand is long for this world, especially considering that their previous brand is pretty sharp, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire
To Acajack's point though, yeah, it is odd that the Blackhawks don't get much heat on that front. I guess they're so familiar that people don't even notice them anymore.

The Hawks get plenty of heat, they just usually deflect it by saying that they have tacit approval from local tribes, which is usually the default ruling in the US.

Besides, people are too busy these days giving them heat over sexual assault and abuse from past coaches and the general negligence of the organization to pay much mind to their branding at the moment.

The Winterhawks have shed the Blackhawks branding and I know a youth association in Toronto has been phasing it out over the past few years. Brockville probably won't last much longer with theirs. It'll happen eventually to Chicago, and likely be replaced with their alternate C logo which is also pretty nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46
Alas, being in the AL East will do that to a middling team.

Good to know that 91 wins is middling in the MLB these days. If they have a full season in Toronto (and with Springer) they likely easily get into the wildcard. It is what it is.

thewave46 Oct 4, 2021 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9414672)
Good to know that 91 wins is middling in the MLB these days. If they have a full season in Toronto (and with Springer) they likely easily get into the wildcard. It is what it is.

It's middling in the AL East, as they ended up 4th. I suppose the middle is pretty big in that division this season. It would have clinched them a playoff spot in the NL East.

Such is baseball.

kel Oct 5, 2021 1:37 AM

It will be a sad day when the Blackhawks decide to part ways with their current logo which I personally believe is the best in sports.

Djeffery Oct 5, 2021 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46 (Post 9414681)
It's middling in the AL East, as they ended up 4th. I suppose the middle is pretty big in that division this season. It would have clinched them a playoff spot in the NL East.

Such is baseball.

The AL East had 4 teams over .500, the entire NL had 7. That said, the Dodgers won 106 and were second place in their division lol.

elly63 Oct 5, 2021 11:40 PM

OUA announces two-year digital partnership with CBC Sports
oua.ca October 1 2021

Burlington, Ont. – Ontario University Athletics (OUA) is pleased to announce a two-year digital partnership agreement with CBC Sports.

Through this partnership, fans will be able to enjoy 13 of the conference’s championships online via CBC Sports’ digital platforms, cbcsports.ca, the CBC Sports app for iOS and Android devices, and the free CBC Gem streaming service.

The OUA’s banner season events making their way to the CBC Sports platforms include those for men’s and women’s basketball, football, men’s and women’s hockey, women’s rugby, men’s and women’s soccer, swimming, track and field, men’s and women’s volleyball, and wrestling.

Kicking off the partnership is the 2021 edition of the Panda Game. Fans will be able to live stream the highly-anticipated regular season tilt between the Ottawa Gee-Gees and Carleton Ravens, which hits the gridiron on Saturday, October 2 at 12 p.m. ET from TD Place in Ottawa.

“Coming together with CBC Sports is a significant step for university sport in Ontario,” said Gord Grace, OUA President & CEO. “Having the ability to showcase the incredible talent of our student-athletes through CBC Sports’ digital platforms offers an exciting opportunity, not only for the OUA and its member institutions, but for fans of university sport looking to enjoy the elite level of competition it provides. We look forward to bringing these marquee events to both CBC Sports and CBC Gem.”

jonny24 Oct 6, 2021 12:07 PM

Once again men's rugby gets fucked by the presence of men's football...