SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hamilton Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=292)
-   -   Neighbourhood Tour: Stinson (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153938)

flar Jul 7, 2008 1:41 AM

Neighbourhood Tour: Stinson

Original thread with comments:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=147294

[/b]

Millstone Jul 7, 2008 7:02 AM

It surprises me how many of these places have crappy roofs. I mean come on people, you have this great house and your roof looks like ass, fix it.

flar Jul 7, 2008 11:46 AM

^^Are you serious? I only see a couple that need a new roof.

raisethehammer Jul 9, 2008 3:17 PM

I can't find any with a bad roof.
In fact, I LOVE all the slate roofs in this area. So cool.

flar Jul 9, 2008 3:24 PM

I would never get rid of a slate roof.

highwater Jul 9, 2008 3:30 PM

The stucco on the mansard sure sucks, and it's a shame about the metal roof on the second one (could they have been trying to approximate copper?), but nothing else jumps out.

markbarbera Jul 9, 2008 4:29 PM

I can't help but wonder what fate lies in store for Stinson School now that it has closed. Such a grand old building. Has anyone heard anything pertaining to its future?

raisethehammer Jul 9, 2008 4:38 PM

nope....although the original plan was to demolish it (big surprise) but community reaction fought that idea and now they are building the new school at Queen Victoria's site instead of Stinson.
I hope someone can do a loft/cafe type of thing with the old school.

highwater Jul 9, 2008 5:32 PM

It's been designated so they can't demolish it. (Unless the board sells it to someone with friends in the right places, then all bets are off, I suppose.)

Millstone Jul 9, 2008 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flar (Post 3657269)
^^Are you serious? I only see a couple that need a new roof.

00205.jpg
00092.jpg
00041.jpg
00059.jpg
00057.jpg

have roof/shingle problems. yes i'm serious

raisethehammer Jul 9, 2008 9:26 PM

Lol.... you must be a roofer trying to make a quick buck.
I'd say they've got another 10 years before needing repairs.

Hammer Native Jul 10, 2008 1:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbarbera (Post 3662382)
I can't help but wonder what fate lies in store for Stinson School now that it has closed. Such a grand old building. Has anyone heard anything pertaining to its future?

This makes me think of the old West Avenue School across from General Hospital. It was designated a heritage building and saved and was used as an office building for agencies related mainly to social services. It was called the Hamilton Self Help Centre and had offices such as the Social Planning Council, Habitat for Humanity, and others. I don't know if it's still operating as such but maybe we could use the old schools for more things along those lines. In other words community oriented agencies.

realcity Jul 10, 2008 2:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbarbera (Post 3662382)

f**kin school board

it looks like the neighbourhood is getting gentrified, but without a school it definitely puts some brakes on it, by discouraging families with young children who want to walk them to school. Living an urban downtown neighbourhood, one would expect they could walk to a nearby school.

Closing these schools only adds to sprawl, then they wonder why they have the problem of building new schools on the fringes of the city.

Thanks Flar. this definitely showcases a very fine, underrated neighbourhood.

emge Jul 29, 2008 3:47 AM

i may have already noted this, but i saw these photos a long time ago, but only realized looking through them a little while ago my own house (rental) is in it. i really like this neighbourhood.

Friends of ours just bought a 4,000 square ft restored home in the neighbourhood as well.. its nice (even as a relative newcomer to the city last year) to find people we know coming to live here as well

MsMe Jul 29, 2008 4:11 AM

Where is the house with the fountain located?

Was the fountain put in when the house was built, or added later?

I am assuming it was a prominent person who orginally lived in that house when it was first built?

Does anyone know the real age of the house?

DC83 Jul 29, 2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMe (Post 3700504)
Where is the house with the fountain located?

The big stone one with the green roof? It's right on Stinson @ East Ave... if you look up East Ave from Main, you'll see the house staring you down!

Duckyboy Aug 22, 2008 4:34 PM

Great shots of the my area, flar. We recently moved here from Vancouver and can't believe all the great old houses here. There are a couple of shots that almost got our house in there. It's the big one with the black fence around it on the corner of Stinson & Emerald. Give us a few years, and she'll look like she used to back in it's glory days.

So... much... work...

flar Aug 22, 2008 4:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckyboy (Post 3752090)
Great shots of the my area, flar. We recently moved here from Vancouver and can't believe all the great old houses here. There are a couple of shots that almost got our house in there. It's the big one with the black fence around it on the corner of Stinson & Emerald. Give us a few years, and she'll look like she used to back in it's glory days.

So... much... work...

Good for you, we need people who appreciate Hamilton's potential to come to this city and make these kind of improvements. Thank you for your hard work and good luck with the renos :cheers:

MsMe Aug 22, 2008 5:48 PM

One thing I always loved about the older homes is the interior woodwork. They sure were true craftsmen in their time.

Duckyboy Aug 22, 2008 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flar (Post 3752116)
Good for you, we need people who appreciate Hamilton's potential to come to this city and make these kind of improvements. Thank you for your hard work and good luck with the renos :cheers:

Thanks a lot! And thank you for all the great pix; we're looking at them almost 2 years ago when we're first deciding to move out here. The Durand area pictures definitely help sell this moving idea to our parents! Hahaha.

Also, I think you'll find a lot more people like my girlfriend and I who will soon realize what a jem Hamilton is. Especially with the cost of living getting what it is, I think there will be an influx of people gravitating to this town, and I think the Stinson area will be have some pretty cool things happening to it over the next 5-10 years or so. There are just too many great houses at great prices; it cannot last.