SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

nezbn22 Aug 30, 2015 6:16 PM

Huge concrete pour at the broadway and pacific Bosa site yesterday. Had part of broadway and pacific closed for half the day while a steady stream of cement mixers came and went. Excited to see that hole start to move upward...

Nerv Aug 30, 2015 7:35 PM

Austin has been on fire with population growth for a while now. I've never thought that rapid growth is a good thing for a city. It's better to have a steady increase to give the city a chance to keep up with the new growth. My 2 cents.

Impressive due to a bigger population? If that's true then most people should consider Phoenix a more impressive city than say, San Francisco?

I doubt that's the case when outsiders judge a cities merits.

I do like Austins improving skyline but it has a long way to go in my opinion to challenge many of the U.S. cities as having a great downtown.

mello Aug 30, 2015 7:45 PM

I noticed a Swinerton Builders sign and construction fence around 13th and K last night. Civic San Diego says there is a development at 14th and K on East side so I'm confused. Do you guys know which project this would be?

Just looked at the old Library Tower renderings it had an awesome colorful base and would have been so nice. Too bad Luke Daniels and his group pussed out and are only building a 22 floor building...

The Flying Dutchman Aug 30, 2015 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7147688)
I noticed a Swinerton Builders sign and construction fence around 13th and K last night. Civic San Diego says there is a development at 14th and K on East side so I'm confused. Do you guys know which project this would be?

Just looked at the old Library Tower renderings it had an awesome colorful base and would have been so nice. Too bad Luke Daniels and his group pussed out and are only building a 22 floor building...

Not sure about the east side, but after digging the only thing I could find was that the block boundary of 13th, 14th, J, and K is the Alexan. IIRC, they were moving the church this month to a different location on the parcel for renovation. Maybe the east side is one of those dead-in-the-water things from the old CCRC days. The Civic SD site is notoriously out-of-date and lacking in current, relevant data.

The Flying Dutchman Aug 30, 2015 9:24 PM

In the same vein, Civic SD released a new website that is supposed to keep tabs on capital improvement projects downtown:

http://civicsdprojects.com/

Only 3 are shown. Mind these are more along the lines of key infrastructure improvements, rather than development.

mello Aug 31, 2015 4:36 AM

Aw yes the Alexan well good news it has started. With that ballpark village and the library tower site East Village will be much more cohesive. The park at pinnacle looks great btw.

SDCAL Aug 31, 2015 4:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7146032)
Holy Shit looks like NBC is actually going to happen with groundbreaking occurring before we are all on medicaid!! Corey Briggs can eat a fat one, and take your park talk to San Luis Obispo!! This is huge, 3 million square feet of office space and 1400 hotel rooms. Damn SD coming up huge this is going to put our downtown in a whole other league and ensure we don't get surpassed by Austin which I was kind of starting to get worried about because they are blowing up.

This is being hailed as the best Water view office space land left on the West Coast! Rumor is Manchester is looking for a partner investor to build all of this at once fast!! No stages over 15 years get er done! Manchester the builder! This guy is awesome he wants to see it get done before he dies this is a major legacy for any developer. Do you think he reaches out to a Chinese or Korean Billionaire who would love to stamp there legacy on the Premiere waterfront development on the West Coast?

Are they going to update the architectural plans at all? These things are over a decade old. I have mixed feelings about this project. That site SO needs to be developed immediately, but Manchesters plan doesn't do it justice. It looks like an Irvine business park being placed on the waterfront. I guess by this point though, I just want to see it built because like you said we could be on Medicare before it breaks ground if we have to start over. I do have to say I don't share your enthusiasm for Manchester. He seems like an ego-maniac with his primary interest being his legacy and his pocket book. When he sold the Manchester Hyatt downtown, he forced them to sign an agreement that they would have to continue using his name for like 25 years or something. Some regulations here do go overboard, but people like him do also need to be overseen by government agencies because their interests are often themselves, not the city.

The Flying Dutchman Aug 31, 2015 5:00 AM

Lol, how many renderings have we seen of countless proposed Chargers stadiums? These drawings are never final until, as they say, "the fat lady sings".

Final designs must be approved by the DCPC/CivicSD, who quite often ask for modifications to plans (usually in return for more lax development requirements as an exchange).

That said, I really hope they can come with something more bombastic for what is supposedly one of the most valuable real estate parcels on the West Coast. :cheers: Just anything but a f**king Ferris wheel.

SDCAL Aug 31, 2015 5:06 AM

I wonder what hotel would be put in at NBC? I remember years ago someone reported (if I'm recalling it correctly) that Manchester was talking to Mandarin Oriental. Would 2 five stars survive DTSD if we got the Ritz at 7th and Market and another 5 star at NBC? NBC could have great unobstructed bay views for a luxury hotel, but I think the planned design by Cisterra at 7th and Market is far superior to NBCs bland buildings.

SDCAL Aug 31, 2015 5:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 7148181)
Lol, how many renderings have we seen of countless proposed Chargers stadiums? These drawings are never final until, as they say, "the fat lady sings".

Final designs must be approved by the DCPC/CivicSD, who quite often ask for modifications to plans (usually in return for more lax development requirements as an exchange).

That said, I really hope they can come with something more bombastic for what is supposedly one of the most valuable real estate parcels on the West Coast. :cheers: Just anything but a f**king Ferris wheel.

Yes, NO Ferris wheel. Lol. But, I'm not sure how much leeway they have to make major changes without having to get this Coastal approval again?

The ATX Aug 31, 2015 6:36 AM

I find all this talk about Austin amusing. San Diego has a lot going for it besides the most perfect weather in the U.S. Why does anyone in San Diego even care about what's happening in Austin? I can guarantee nobody in Austin is concerned about San Diego.

Derek Aug 31, 2015 6:58 AM

Having just visited Austin, Austin has a loooooooong way to go before its downtown core reaches the density and activity levels of downtown San Diego. Yeah, they have a few shiny new tall towers going up, but it just doesn't really have the same vibe that you'd expect in a city core.

Nerv Aug 31, 2015 5:12 PM

People care about Austin because it's a booming city with its population so it's the new flavor of the month. Other cities that have been flavor of the month in the past include Phoenix and San Diego. :D

Nerv Aug 31, 2015 5:17 PM

For anyone interested in the NBC this is a good site to visit for several different views (some you may have seen already) on how the project will look to scale in the city.

http://bbpa.com/projects/enhanced-us...-san-diego-ca/

As pointed out we will have to wait until the project is closer to breaking ground before we get a real detailed look but these aren't that bad.

It's not earth shattering but I don't mind the early renderings.

ucsbgaucho Aug 31, 2015 10:01 PM

San Diego... Jaguars?

While we're on the topic of NBC... here's an article from NBC7 regarding an idea/theory of the Jaguars relocating to SD if/when the Chargers leave for LA.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/spor...323460171.html

The ATX Sep 1, 2015 1:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 7148596)
People care about Austin because it's a booming city with its population so it's the new flavor of the month. Other cities that have been flavor of the month in the past include Phoenix and San Diego. :D

True dat. After I posted that I thought maybe Manchester's hotel development in Austin brought attention to both cities. After Manchester's Austin convention center hotel announcement I started reading San Diego news articles (and the comments) about Manchester (Papa Doug specifically) and was quite entertained. :)

dales5050 Sep 1, 2015 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7148171)
Are they going to update the architectural plans at all? These things are over a decade old. I have mixed feelings about this project. That site SO needs to be developed immediately, but Manchesters plan doesn't do it justice. It looks like an Irvine business park being placed on the waterfront.

It's not an ideal design..that's for sure. But at this point wouldn't changing the design lead to more rounds of approvals? If I am Manchester...I would not change a thing if it caused more review.

That said the parcel could justify a much larger budget for upgrades to the design.

spoonman Sep 2, 2015 9:48 PM

Construction Cam at Ballpark Village...great shot of the massive excavation.

http://www.workzonecam.com/projects/...ge/workzonecam

Streamliner Sep 2, 2015 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7151296)
Construction Cam at Ballpark Village...great shot of the massive excavation.

http://www.workzonecam.com/projects/...ge/workzonecam

I don't frequent construction cams very often, so maybe this is pretty standard, but that is really cool how you can compare images with previous shots! I hope they keep this up for awhile, it'll be fun to see the progress.

tyleraf Sep 4, 2015 7:53 PM

Makers Quarter has filed for permits for a 333 foot tower. http://www.civicsd.com/images/storie...A_-_9.4.15.pdf